• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm really wanting to grab a PSVR later this winter, but I only game at my desk about 2.5 feet away from my monitor. I know this is going to spell problems for move controllers in some games, but will, say, Rez, Thumper, and Super Hyper Cube work fine in that more confined space? I can't possibly make any more room for PSVR than that, though I think I can slide my chair back to maybe 3 feet comfortably.

Again, I know there will be limitations with this play space, but I'm hoping I can at least rock Rez and Thumper.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Weird. By all accounts it should work better in the dark with less things for the camera to accidentally pick up
One thing that does make sense is that in the darkness, the TV will be projecting light (that changes all the time) onto you and the wall behind you. This won't be visible at all during daytime. Maybe that's what causes the problem.

farisr

So got my friend's ps4 again and will have it for pretty much the rest of the month now. But unfortunately I couldn't achieve my goal of making the setup problem free.

Friends finally did get to try it for the first time had terrific reactions, and the stuff they played went problem free aside from the expected controller tracking problems in job simulator when the controllers were out of the cameras view. Even the left drift seemed to have vanished despite me not getting a chance to try the advanced setup.

It was after they left and when I went to finally startup my own play session that things went wonky. The dreaded left drift popped up again. I then decided to do all the advanced setup. Ipd, tracking light adjustment, taped down the wires and camera in place, even measured distance and set up my seat absolutely dead center relative to the camera lenses and turned off the lights.

Happened again.

I heard turning off and turning on the headset sometimes reset the position. Started doing that as holding start simply wouldn't reset the position properly. After the third time doing this, finally the drift stopped and the screen was dead center. Yay!

Or so I thought...

Mind you all this time the troubleshooting is happening while I'm on the tutorial for London heist.

Started up the story, everything seemed to be going well, until the restaurant scene comes up. Partway through the scene, the environment started shifting and the tracking became bad, then would become okay for short intervals

When it finally got to the first shootout, the desk in front me just wouldn't stay stable, and the tracking was all over the place. Turning the headset off and on didn't help either. After struggling with this for probably 15 minutes, had to call it quits. Shut it off.

At least I found out that I don't get sick from these types of problems with tracking in vr, but the game stops being fun when stuff like this starts to happen.

I get really sick from reading in the car, but I have played the majority of PSVR games (Including REZ, DC, EVE, RIGS, etc.) and not once gotten sick. I did a 4-5 hour continuous play-through a few days ago.

I'm similar.

If I do much as read a paragraph on my phone (when I'm a passenger), in a car - I get queasy.

VR: Only Driveclub has given me that same feeling, everything else has been fine.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I'm really wanting to grab a PSVR later this winter, but I only game at my desk about 2.5 feet away from my monitor. I know this is going to spell problems for move controllers in some games, but will, say, Rez, Thumper, and Super Hyper Cube work fine in that more confined space? I can't possibly make any more room for PSVR than that, though I think I can slide my chair back to maybe 3 feet comfortably.

Again, I know there will be limitations with this play space, but I'm hoping I can at least rock Rez and Thumper.

It doesn't matter where your monitor is. Right now I have the camera on the side of the room directly opposite my TV screen, which I've kept off so far.

Did you watch it via BD? I was trying to watch my show via streaming so that might have been the culprit.

Max social screen res is 720p so yes.

I watched a BD. The quality is not the same for sure even on that, but it's extremely watchable.

I'm similar.

If I do much as read a paragraph on my phone (when I'm a passenger), in a car - I get queasy.

VR: Only Driveclub has given me that same feeling, everything else has been fine.

Driveclub VR and The Luge in VR Worlds are vomit inducing for me. Everything else appeared to be fine.

My room is pretty small, and I managed to make it work. My position is about 3 feet from my screen and it works great.Sitting down games like the one's you mentioned work pretty fine. It's all about setting the camera in the right spot where your headset is somewhere in the middle and your controllers can be visible all around you. As long as you find the sweet spot of both the camera and the location where you are sitting from you are golden.

Standing games might be a problem if you can't be beyond 3 feet. I barely get away with 5-6 feet between me and the camera.

It doesn't matter where your monitor is. Right now I have the camera on the side of the room directly opposite my TV screen, which I've kept off so far.

Ah, I didn't think of this solution... I could actually make that work -- just place the camera elsewhere.

Belfast

Hmmmm... Sounds like I need to jump in on this one. Was originally planning to wait much longer, but feedback has been mostly positive, so this could be hard to get once the holidays arrive.

I already have a camera but I think I should get the bundle anyway, buying it all separately seems to be about the same price or oddly more expensive.

Until Dawn, Batman and Worlds come with the bundle.

Huh? Just Worlds and the demo disc.

At least I found out that I don't get sick from these types of problems with tracking in vr, but the game stops being fun when stuff like this starts to happen.

I have a feeling a combination of people experimenting with tracking and software updates will help more avoid situations like this.
The function of the camera is quite interesting. It does not seem to be simply nailing things down. For Vive the slightest lighthouse movement causes dramatic problems. For PSVR you can apparently freely change the camera location and twist, while someone is in VR, and nothing much seems to happen. On the other hand if you hold up a hand to one side of the headset obscuring two lights, there is a definite movement in the world.

I'd like to read some kind of tech document on how the camera combines with the lights to nail down the IMU. It is quite odd to see a controller with a tilt on it. That seems to mean the camera is not correcting the orientation by looking at the shape of the light.

If the camera is not being leaned on to constantly confirm orientation etc, perhaps that allows more drift eg from temperature, to enter the equations. Maybe with feedback they can push out an update that will change the balance between camera and gyros.

Or perhaps they're already at an optimal compromise (they've had a long time with the code after all - it must have drifted for devs). Which would be a shame.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Ah, I didn't think of this solution... I could actually make that work -- just place the camera elsewhere.

I even did the interpupillary distance measurements without my TV. You can just line the headset up in the squares using the video feed inside the headset, hold your head still, lift the screen away from your face and snap the pics.

After a few days mine is going back. PSVR is great for short bursts play of certain games (my favorites are Kitchen, London Heist, Tumble) but the combination of the headset weight, heat, wires, in combination with the low resolution can't allow me to play full action games in VR. The sensation and depth perception itself is amazing, but not enough to spend $500 launch.

Ozorov

Had a chance to go through the demos today. Fantastic stuff. Surprised to see a lot of 'snap turn' mode stuff outside of Driveclub. So free roam experiences are really few and far between. Interesting for many reasons.

Now I'm just a little nervous. If anyone has had time to give us a go yet let me know. :)
What is your game?

Nick

I want more Allumette! What an incredible experience. So far, I haven't played a bad launch title! Until Dawn even made me jump a few times. I think that game isn't so bad!

Chris_C

Goddamn, Batman is incredible!

The sense of presence and being the freakin' Batman. I didn't realize just how awesome it would be.

The graphics are fantastic, easily the best yet and beyond PS3 visuals, looking like it uses the Arkam Knight version of the engine. There is something about how the game handles material shaders and lighting that when looking up close to things like character models and items, it really minimizes the SDE a lot that it blends away during it.

This is a like the next generation version of an adventure game. It's so good, but so short. Come back Rocksteady and make a full $60 Batman VR title, I beg of you!

It really is incredible. In the section with Penguin I tried stepping out to the edge of the building to look down and literally yelled "No,no,no!" when I saw the drop. It also felt like living in the future when you have to assemble that detonator pin floating in front of you.

fixuis

My god! I am a believer!!! Just got the thing today and tried it for a few hours. This really is the real deal right here. Tried eve valkyrie and it was just amazing. Tried non vr content in cinema mode and it really does feel like having your own cinema in your home. The content is so good plus the UI is intuitive as well. Tried battle zone and it was tons of fun as well.

The biggest seller for me though which mad me go holy shit was that playroom VR platformer..my god talk about pure gaming perfection. I had not felt this giddy and happy since i had first laid eyes on crash bandicoot on ps 1. I had tried lucky's tale on oculus rift and was really hoping sony would have something similar. Not only did they have it but they just raised the bar. It was like being inside the platformer of your dreams. This zany cartoony world :-O These robots need to be Sony's new mascots and this VR platformer needs its own full fledged game ASAP!! The developers really nailed it with that one. Between this and Eve valkyrie and cinema mode , this thing has totally blown me away and I haven't even tried VR world disc and the demo disc yet. Just amazing Sony, you've done it again!! :-O

PhleBuster

Neo Member
One thing I noticed today watching my mate play the PSVR, and watching some other people's shared clips on YouTube, is that the social screen really needs to be cropped from further down form what the player sees. My mate was controlling the robot in the platformer game and it was clear there was a whole bunch of stuff going on under where I could see on the screen. I hope that's something they can fix, because sharing videos is less meaningful when the part of the game you're often interacting with most is cropped out.
Totally agree with this from my own streaming experience too. The circular cutout around the screen is completely unnecessary, but it's an even bigger issue that the focus is way too high and it leaves out half of the things I'm actually looking at below.

PhleBuster

Neo Member
Does anyone have tracking issues on a game by game basis? I've played four full games and two demos. Rez, Thumper, the Kitchen demo, and the underwater Worlds demo were all pretty much perfect as far as tracking goes.

Summer Lesson and Super Hypercube both drift like crazy, to the point where it's starting to make me queasy and are borderline unplayable. I've tried all of the different calibration stuff I could find to no avail.
I'm not sure if there's one good answer - I had drifting in Summer Lesson on first playthrough but fixed completely by going through all the calibration. Reboot systems, check lighting, check your position relative to camera, go through all calibration... You can try repositioning your camera and see if that helps.

Mezoly

Why does PSVR Worlds keep centering me slightly to the left? My screen in menu is centered correctly but not in the game. The in-game centering option is so useless. It's ruining my immersion.

I believe you are having the drifting problem. Try these things that helped my drifting issue:

1. Power off the ps4 unplug the camera wait for a minute then plug in and power on.
2. Sit closer to the camera at exactly 6 feet.
3. Do the manual calibration stuff.
4. When it happens turn off and then on the headset.

Jashobeam

maybe Knack should return for VR! Seriously, that playroom VR platformer shows so much potential, I felt like I was living inside Super Mario 3D World.

So does anyone know what the cause of the drift is? I'm having a blast but the only issue is every few minutes it feels like I have to turn my head more and more to stay aligned and recentering doesn't always help. By the end of the Driveclub demo race the results screen was way off to the left when I was facing forward.

Are you set bang in front of your camera, not off to the side slightly - and is the camera centred properly in Devices? I've put mine in two locations (houses) now, camera on top of TV and below, with no drift and next to zero tracking problems. Played Batman (twice) and Job Sim demo no issues.

Slight jitter on VR controllers sometimes, but my real hands jitter when I hold them in front of me - like everybody's.

When re centering hold the controller still and flat and the headset still and level looking at your natural direction - hopefully to the camera - and do the long option press.
Imu Drift can be worse with temperature changes I don't know if that's a problem with this stuff, probably.

Yeah, this as well; know where your camera is and look straight at it when using Option/Hold to recentre

Spman2099

Oh man, I pushed it too much last night, and I paid for it today. I was feeling a tiny bit off after a longer session of Hyper Cube, but I decided to give Rigs a go. I felt obligated to finish all the tutorial stuff in one go, so I was locked into it for a crazy amount of time. My head paid for my stubbornness. Now I can't play Rez tonight...

Heed my words, friends: If you are feeling it at all just take the headset off and play another day.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
posted this in the other thread, but tonight has been a horrible night for me and vr. Very disoriented at the moment, tried every trick just could not get it to stop pulsing in and out :/. I'm not going to panic, because I just played for hours straight for the last few days and while I had a few drift issues and the obvious issues with the move controllers, the head tracking was fine during that time.

PhleBuster

Neo Member
Anyone import Summer Lesson? How is it?
My favorite VR game so far, and also the one that sold the system to me when I tried it at Tokyo Game Show. Very enjoyable despite my Japanese not being good enough to read most of the texts in the game. It's only 3000 JPY (about $30) so you can get a 3000 JPY PSN card and it's easy to grab.

One playthrough is short but it has tons of replay value, I still haven't managed to access most of the content in the game after ~5 playthroughs (because I suck at the multiple choices).

Mezoly

posted this in the other thread, but tonight has been a horrible night for me and vr. Very disoriented at the moment, tried every trick just could not get it to stop pulsing in and out :/. I'm not going to panic, because I just played for hours straight for the last few days and while I had a few drift issues and the obvious issues with the move controllers, the head tracking was fine during that time.

What do you mean by pulsing like being on a rocky ship or is the screen turn off and on?

Spman2099

I think our enthusiasm is getting the best of us... I know I have played a lot since picking it up. Maybe a little too much for something so radically unfamiliar to my brain.

androvsky

Phew, haven't played Rez since before it hit PS2. Just played the whole thing through plus lost level and area x in one sitting. Wow. Never really quite got into it before, but that was a hell of a ride.

I paid more attention to what people were talking about with SDE, I get where they're coming from now. It doesn't help it mostly shows up on text. Yeah, it's not just aliasing, I don't think a better font renderer can completely fix all the text. I still maintain its better than the other headsets I've tried though.

Had a chance to go through the demos today. Fantastic stuff. Surprised to see a lot of 'snap turn' mode stuff outside of Driveclub. So free roam experiences are really few and far between. Interesting for many reasons.

Now I'm just a little nervous. If anyone has had time to give us a go yet let me know. :)

Ah had I been lucky/quick to get a code earlier I would have given you some in depth feedback :)

Alas, I only have 1.84 left in the wallet. Am keen to hear feedback though as I thought that was a great gesture to give away copies

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
What do you mean by pulsing like being on a rocky ship or is the screen turn off and on?

It's like I'm taking a step or half step forward and then sliding back and vice versa. It's like a sliding in and out effect in different levels. It's very disorienting.

Today sealed it - love my PSVR. Had some old college buddies over (two had never tried vr) and we played all of the multiplayer games in Playroom and had a blast. They aren't super deep, but easily good for a couple hours of awesome and something I can easily see exposing multiple groups to as a party game. My favorite was cat and mouse, but we got a surprising amount of enjoyment from the ghostbusters one too.

We need more asymmetric vr multiplayer games, pronto!

My favorite VR game so far, and also the one that sold the system to me when I tried it at Tokyo Game Show. Very enjoyable despite my Japanese not being good enough to read most of the texts in the game. It's only 3000 JPY (about $30) so you can get a 3000 JPY PSN card and it's easy to grab.

One playthrough is short but it has tons of replay value, I still haven't managed to access most of the content in the game after ~5 playthroughs (because I suck at the multiple choices).

Thanks for the impressions! I saw a stream on Twitch for it and it looked awesome, but so much else was going on, on this stream. lol.

Mezoly

It's like I'm taking a step or half step forward and then sliding back and vice versa. It's like a sliding in and out effect in different levels. It's very disorienting.

That sucks. Is it in standing games? if so make sure your camera is high enough and stable because you might have some of the top trackers on the headset outside of the camera range.

Quick question regarding the PS VR : how is the overall quality of PS VR and PS VR games with a regular PS4 (not pro)?
I'm considering buying one but I don't really want to buy the pro until my PS4 dies.

crimilde

Banned
I made my wife play The Kitchen...

https://youtu.be/tsOiKatgbgs

Haha that's how I'd probably react too. I love that your dog is just chilling on the floor, I've 3 cats and if I'd start screaming or make loud noises they'd all jump on me. Makes me think about leaving them outside the room when I'll finally get to play, because that would freak me out even more haha. ヽ ( ꒪д꒪ )ノ

Mezoly

Quick question regarding the PS VR : how is the overall quality of PS VR and PS VR games with a regular PS4 (not pro)?
I'm considering buying one but I don't really want to buy the pro until my PS4 dies.

It depends on the game. Arkham VR and London heist looks incredible. Drive Club and scavenger Odyssey look bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom