• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

OSHAN

I played more Job Simulator after getting it to work a little better. It still isn't perfect, but I played for like an hour and a half straight. The game is so good. The radio station in the car mechanic job that has the Rick and Morty voice actor talking about cars was so fucking funny.

First game I bought. I know the experience is limited compared to the Vive version, but since I've never played that version it is hard for me to be disappointed in what I'm missing. Glad I did get it. It is just fun to pick shit up in it, unlike say, The Order.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
In VR Worlds. Can you exit a sub game and go back to the main loading screen without having to quit and restart the game?

So here's my VR saga thus far:

> Pre-order PSVR as soon as they were available through best buy.
> Got wet feet and canceled my pre-order the weekend before launch.
> Tried a demo at a store after launch and immediately regretted my cancelation decision. PSVR was much closer to the PC VR sets than I anticipated.
> Couldn't find a launch bundle anywhere this week/weekend.
> Stumbled across a lone Launch bundle, at a Walmart of all places (the last one they had), and snagged it this morning.
> Ordered physical Rez Infinite from iam8bit as soon as I got home.

Am I doing it right?

Ashtrax

Spent the day with my headset finally, and enjoyed it on the whole.

KITCHEN: God damn, that shit freaked me out. I had read about how the demo plays out, but it never truly prepares you. Capcom nailed the surround audio on that demo as well. Can't wait to see how they implement this sort of thing in RE7.

Batman: Arkham VR: If you loved the detective stuff in the Arkham games, then this is for you. Tracking is great with Move controllers, and it's funny how I started posturing myself as Batman during the game. I've just hit the third act, but all I'll say is watching the first crime scene is brutal.

PlayStation VR Worlds: Ocean Descent is decent for an experience, Luge also the same, but it's hard not to want to throw your whole body into it (Luge only wants you to tilt your head to turn). However, The London Heist is were it's at. So much fun. Had some minor aiming issues at first, but got the hang of it quickly.

Thumper: Wow. I mean wow. What a great title, visually spectacular but draining as well. The one complaint I had was everytime the game restarted after a death, the camera would drift left. It's a weird glitch I hope the developers get sorted ASAP, because damn that game gets difficult as you progress.

Driveclub VR: Didn't suffer motion sickness at all, and it's great looking into rear and side mirrors as you pass cars. Visually it's fine, not great. I wish though Sony or another developer would get an arcade racer to market ASAP. That would be awesome.

INVASION! & Amulette: Two short films. The first was good, but the second utilises VR amazingly. You really get a sense of the space being used. Highly recommended to check out.

Will add more thoughts as I get around to the other titles I picked up!

DavidDesu

Had a long day showing my mate VR and playing some stuff myself. Danger Ball in VR Worlds is absolutely fantastic. I really got into it, headbutting the ball back, even jumped a few times lol. Immensely good fun and I want this as a full featured game. Can you imagine a version using Move tracking to whack the ball back...!

Tracking still has wonky moments and is rarely absolutely still. The headset definitely worked best during the daytime (but with blinds closed so my room was light but no direct sunlight hitting anything).

After my session I felt a bit weird. Like I just wanted to press the trigger to make a fist in real life, lol, and my arms felts skinnier than I've ever noticed them being before... You definitely feel a sort of disconnect with the real world after a while. It's not a bad feeling, just a sense of having to readjust. When VR gets much higher res screens, wider field of view and more photorealistic stuff it's really going to blur the lines...

I went to grab a block that fell off my table and slammed my move controller into my couch. You can get really confused when you get focused on a game.

Tumble is so cool. I was leaning into the puzzle to place a piece and bumped my tower with me head and knocked off a block. First time that happened I said "whoa"

How many scenarios (or levels, if you prefer), in total, are there for London Heist?

The demo I tried in February only gave us two (shootout in the office from behind the desk and the car chase).

Cool, thanks for the impressions on that one.
So you're playing with the teleporting right? Since I'm prone to it in regular FPS games I kind of expect I'll need to favor that too in some games.

Yea teleporting for me is definitely they way to go. Early on it suggest the alternative right stick free move, but honestly the moment I took a step I felt funny. I tried going really slowly but couldn't handle more than about 20 seconds before switching back. Just for reference I can spend 2hrs in either driveclub or rigs with no problems at all but this threw me a right wobbly.

mr lurtle

Sorry I'm no help, but how is that game so far?
I'm looking at both this and The Assembly and still thinking about which to get first. I expect I'll buy both.
Essentially it's just a really janky walking simulator with a few easy puzzles. I actually like it so far but it's really hard to recommend. Especially for the asking price. It think most people will be put off by the controls which are really weird but I got used to them.
I finally found the damn coordinates so I can say more later.

SeanR1221

It's weird. I originally charged my used Move controllers with my iPhone wall chargers and after I connected them to the PS4 they wouldn't stay on.

But now that I connected and charged them to the PS4 they seem to be holding a charge just fine.

It's almost like they didn't charge at all until I connected them to my PS4

KyleCross

Just had my first run in with a VR game where you actually control the characters movement and... it ain't good. I'm sick as a fucking dog right now. Head hurts and I feel like I'm gonna hurl.

It's weird. I originally charged my used Move controllers with my iPhone wall chargers and after I connected them to the PS4 they wouldn't stay on.

But now that I connected and charged them to the PS4 they seem to be holding a charge just fine.

It's almost like they didn't charge at all until I connected them to my PS4

Yep. My used ones that I charged with my Samsung S7 Edge charger didn't work, either. The moment I hooked them I to a PS4, they held a charge.

Slixshot

Banned
You know, one of the coolest aspects for me is my memories being tricked into the VR being a little more real than it actually was. For instance, last night I tried the Shark Encounter, and in my mind I'm just thinking about how big the shark was. Fascinating how the first stage of VR can do that. What will happen in the future when the image quality and graphical fidelity are even greater?

Just curious why the REVII Kitchen demo looks completely aliased and blurry on PS VR while the REVII Beginning Hour looks exactly the same with no detail loss on PS VR eventhough that the latter is a full fledged demo game where you can walk and move and not just sit and watch.

Yea teleporting for me is definitely they way to go. Early on it suggest the alternative right stick free move, but honestly the moment I took a step I felt funny. I tried going really slowly but couldn't handle more than about 20 seconds before switching back. Just for reference I can spend 2hrs in either driveclub or rigs with no problems at all but this threw me a right wobbly.

Thanks!

Essentially it's just a really janky walking simulator with a few easy puzzles. I actually like it so far but it's really hard to recommend. Especially for the asking price. It think most people will be put off by the controls which are really weird but I got used to them.
I finally found the damn coordinates so I can say more later.

Thanks!
Yeah I remember reading something about its unique movement. Is the movement comfortable at least, if it doesn't have multiple options?

I can't believe Arkham VR is 19.99. WOWOWOWOWOWOW. Finished it and I'm ABSOLUTELY BLOOWOWOWOWOWOWN away by the possibilities of VR now. The other games were like HOLY SHIT THIS IN INTENSE AND MY MIND ASPLODE but this game actually made me THINK I was in another world.

First of all, the graphics are amazing. The small details that make you feel like the world is real. Smoke. Steam. Fog. Animals. Amazing models. FANTASTIC 3D SOUND. Then the gameplay. It's actually FUN! You FEEL LIKE THE BATMAN!!!!

I LOVED the hand integration. You are the BATMAN!!!

One day they will figure out how to nail movement with combat and actual TV games WILL be obsolete. Maybe it's room scale + some kind of force feedback. Not sure.

I would pay SO MUCH for experiences like this. This is unlike anything in gaming!!!!
What floored me was the way the hologram figure models and other chararacters in the game would follow you with their heads and eyes as you moved around. It really feels like you're looking at a real person. Never seen that before in any other VR game.

gcubed

I must say that wayward sky impressed me out of nowhere and I NEED more platformers in VR. The playroom game is limited but I can't get enough

SJRB

Gold Member
O my god the move controllers are 80 euros, I had no idea they were that much.

There's no fucking way I'm gonna fork out another 80 bucks after spending 400 on the unit, 60 on a camera and 100 on a bunch of games. I'm going bankrupt at this rate.

DavidDesu

Had a long day showing my mate VR and playing some stuff myself. Danger Ball in VR Worlds is absolutely fantastic. I really got into it, headbutting the ball back, even jumped a few times lol. Immensely good fun and I want this as a full featured game. Can you imagine a version using Move tracking to whack the ball back...!

Tracking still has wonky moments and is rarely absolutely still. The headset definitely worked best during the daytime (but with blinds closed so my room was light but no direct sunlight hitting anything).

After my session I felt a bit weird. Like I just wanted to press the trigger to make a fist in real life, lol, and my arms felts skinnier than I've ever noticed them being before... You definitely feel a sort of disconnect with the real world after a while. It's not a bad feeling, just a sense of having to readjust. When VR gets much higher res screens, wider field of view and more photorealistic stuff it's really going to blur the lines...

Ogni-XR21

This happened to mine a couple of times during my first hour with it, then never again. No idea how or why.

I had the same issue on the first two days, maybe 5 minutes after turning it on. Hasn't happended today but I will keep my eye on it. If it happens frequently I will have it replaced.

So here's my VR saga thus far:

> Pre-order PSVR as soon as they were available through best buy.
> Got wet feet and canceled my pre-order the weekend before launch.
> Tried a demo at a store after launch and immediately regretted my cancelation decision. PSVR was much closer to the PC VR sets than I anticipated.
> Couldn't find a launch bundle anywhere this week/weekend.
> Stumbled across a lone Launch bundle, at a Walmart of all places (the last one they had), and snagged it this morning.
> Ordered physical Rez Infinite from iam8bit as soon as I got home.

Am I doing it right?

You forgot one thing:

> Getting annoyed by iam8bit and ending up buying the digital version of Rez Infinite too.

mr lurtle

Thanks!
Yeah I remember reading something about its unique movement. Is the movement comfortable at least, if it doesn't have multiple options?
I'm not really prone to motion sickness but compared to games like Here They Lie it feels more comfortable. Except for walking forwards and backwards which is smooth you turn in incrementals so sometimes it is unnecessarily complicated to get in position. There are no options to change the controls. Personally I think it works OK. The immersion is quite good which is enough for me so far to play further.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
How long does Batman take to beat?

HOLY FUCK!!! Why are there not more reviewers talking about Playroom??!! That platformer game is legit breaking new ground in the platformer genre! It's a game changer!! So many of the mechanics are just perfect for VR!!! Playroom is exactly what VR needs to show that VR isn't just a gimmick or what have you. It shows VR can add vast amounts of innovation to genres that have needed them for so long!!

I fucking wanted it to be longer! It's such a good platformer! Even better than Luckeys Tale for the Rift. And the use of the DS4 is genius! You cannot have that kind of mechanic anywhere else right now. It really makes you think if Sony was that forward-thinking with the Touchpad and the controller being tracked. The mechanics are just perfect!

I couldn't stop smiling the whole time!
If you like that you will also like the Adventure Time VR game which I believe is also coming to PSVR. It's only a few levels but it's also really cool.

Whats a good test for checking my IPD settings? I tried the driveclub demo with the blue car and tried to read the word "speed" on the speedometer (is that the right word?) but it just stays blurry no matter how i change the ipd :( normaly i get 67mm

I don't think your settings matter. It's blurry because the resolution is really low.

The PS4 Pro was never on my radar, but I am loving my PSVR so much that if I see any benefit og image quality for PSVR Games I am considering getting one now.
I am going to wait and see first until a clear case is made thou

That's pretty much it, for what you actually do in the game. There's a lot of you sitting in a chair listening to people talk and there's a thing at the end that requires you to do a small action.

That's...really disappointing. I was hoping for at least an hour of emptying and reloading clips.

Dang.

gcubed

Are people using the Zeiss wipes? I've read like 20 things from Sony saying to never ever use anything wet to clean the optics but at this point I'm just smearing what's on there around. I do it the way I clean my camera optics, blow it off with air, fog it with my breath and wipe gently. It's not doing much anymore

murgo

O my god the move controllers are 80 euros, I had no idea they were that much.

There's no fucking way I'm gonna fork out another 80 bucks after spending 400 on the unit, 60 on a camera and 100 on a bunch of games. I'm going bankrupt at this rate.

Buy them used! That's what I did half a year ago when I preordered PSVR. I got 2 Move's (1 of them was still sealed) for 36€ on eBay.

Is my PS VR headset faulty? In the middle of the game the screen (in headset) sometimes goes black for couple of seconds like it lost the connection or something. I've already checked the cables and even swapped all the hdmi cables. :/ I don't want to send this to repair and wait months to get a new one. Does anyone have any suggestions? Am I the only one with this kind of problem?

What games does this happen in?

I noticed in a few games, when I approached the "out of play" area it would start to get darker the closer I got to the edge of the play area. Then go completely dark before getting the out of play message.

SHarris78

I've been wowed using PSVR the past 2 hours.

Eve demo - the game itself is not my cup of tea, but it was pretty cool nonetheless. Looking around the cockpit and take off was great, didn't invert the controls though so i was pretty shit!

Amulette (spelling) - EVERYONE should watch this, its free so there's no excuse. An incredible experience. When the guy drops his walking stick off the platform I began the motion of trying to grab it!!!

Kitchen - like most people saw bits of this on the net so wasn't expecting much, boy was I wrong. The presence of the characters was almost spooky. And when the 'thing' disappears for a while and you hear all these noises going on, waiting for it to reappear was
Terrifying!!

Thumper demo - woooow, gonna make this my next purchase. Intense, evil, and awesome.

I also tried watching a Miku concert BluRay in cinema mode expecting the worst after hearing negative opinions about the resolution, and I was quite happy with it, even using the biggest screen size.

Still got so many other demos and full games to try, PSVR has exceeded my expectations so far!

Grinchy

Banned
First game I bought. I know the experience is limited compared to the Vive version, but since I've never played that version it is hard for me to be disappointed in what I'm missing. Glad I did get it. It is just fun to pick shit up in it, unlike say, The Order.

I love how it just lets you completely fuck around and it doesn't take itself too seriously. And you can just about do whatever crazy thing you're thinking of in the moment.

The tracking was working very well for me earlier so I could do things really fast and accurately. I was throwing objects between hands, flinging frisbees into the street trying to hit passing cars, ect. It's just such a good VR experience.

BillyJack

Banned
Is anyone else shocked that the PSVR is this good?
I thought this was going to be a fun distraction but I find myself absolutely blown away and getting that giddy feeling that is all to rare these days. The last time I remember feeling like this is when I got my N64 and turned on Mario 64 for the first time.

Soi-Fong

I more and more get the feeling nobody played it but I'm stuck on loading human and the internet can't help. I have to find some coordinates to insert into a computer and have no fucking clue where they are. Does anybody know?

They're in one of those hologram things. He had a holo diary and he states it in an entry which has the coordinates.

Is anyone else shocked that the PSVR is this good?
I thought this was going to be a fun distraction but I find myself absolutely blown away and getting that giddy feeling that is all to rare these days. The last time I remember feeling like this is when I got my N64 and turned on Mario 64 for the first time.

Eh, I'm honestly a little disappointed. Thumper is good... Tumble is good... some of the "experiences" are fun but nothing has "sold me" on it yet. After a few days with it I'm starting to see it spending a lot of time on my shelf. I personally think we're years away from that Mario 64 experience with VR. Vive is closest and PSVR need a MUCH better tracking solution before it's anywhere near. But I get what you're saying.. I just have a bad feeling it's going the way of Move or Vita.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom