• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inotti

I would exchange it with the retailer given it's only 2 days old.

You know that the PS VR is sould out pretty much everywhere right now? :/

What games does this happen in?

I noticed in a few games, when I approached the "out of play" area it would start to get darker the closer I got to the edge of the play area. Then go completely dark before getting the out of play message.

It has happened pretty much with all the games so far. :/ And it really feels like it's some kind of connection issue because it also cuts the sound off from the headphones. Oh well.

Loudninja

Is anyone else shocked that the PSVR is this good?
I thought this was going to be a fun distraction but I find myself absolutely blown away and getting that giddy feeling that is all to rare these days. The last time I remember feeling like this is when I got my N64 and turned on Mario 64 for the first time.
I am Ito be honest I know impressions were good but that did not mean I would like it I was very very wrong.

This is the real deal.

cilonen

A great deal of this is uncharted territory - 'snap turning' is one way to potentially minimize SDE / motion sickness.
Generally speaking, though, everyone's experience is going to be different. As people become more acclimated to VR, motion sickness diminishes, and tolerance improves. I think offering the option to switch modes will become the norm.

Bound's hybrid 'free-snap' camera system works really well for third person stuff and really minimises any discomfort from a free moving camera.

Eh, I'm honestly a little disappointed. Thumper is good... Tumble is good... some of the "experiences" are fun but nothing has "sold me" on it yet. After a few days with it I'm starting to see it spending a lot of time on my shelf. I personally think we're years away from that Mario 64 experience with VR. Vive is closest and PSVR need a MUCH better tracking solution before it's anywhere near. But I get what you're saying.. I just have a bad feeling it's going the way of Move or Vita.

I'd say the little taste of the platformer in Playroom is already on par with the M64 experience. Just give me more of it

D23

Everyone should go out and buy wayward sky now! Holy moly I am so impressed.. definitely a sleeper ps vr hit.

AngerdX

After playing the assembly which i do find a cool experience sofar, but when i did change to stick movement i was fine until i started messing up that snap turning, now that really did my head in, i wish i could try a version of that stick moving with moving the camera with my head so if i turn my head enough one way it start to turn the body that way while still walking with the stick, now i have no idea if that would even be feasible.

Hmmm i see alot of praise for wayward sky and i do have a spare 20 in my psn wallet maybe i should just pull the trigger.

I thought this was going to be a fun distraction but I find myself absolutely blown away and getting that giddy feeling that is all to rare these days. The last time I remember feeling like this is when I got my N64 and turned on Mario 64 for the first time.

Many people said it already. It's here to stay.

Have a faulty cable 4 so I can't move much and literally have to sit next to the PU which itself is close to my entertainment center but EVE Valkyrie is dope. I've built some "tolerance" I guess and I don't get sick as fast as before. Won't go near RIGS at all. That game made me sick the worst.

Besides the faulty extension cable PSVR has been a delightful experience. Sony has dropped the ball when it comes to customer support. Although the Sony rep was very kind and helpful, and after a lengthy troubleshooting process was able to figure out cable 4 was the culprit I think it is unacceptable for Sony to not overnight me a new cable.

I even told the rep, listen charge me for the cable, let me pay for overnight shipping myself, just let me get my cable tomorrow or asap". Asap for Sony was the stock response of 7-10 business days. That is not unacceptable to me. The fact that Sony turned down my money and refused to overnight it because their system "did not support that" is inconceivable to me.

Everyone clamoring for a platformer, try Bound! It's a fantastic VR showpiece. It's one of the best virtual worlds to be in I think, great sense of scale, lots of moving parts, smart camera use.

kyser73

So got round to playing The Heist...I'm a propah fuckin geeeeza mate! Awesome shit, although it crashed on me (acid cathedral view which was kinda awesome) during the chase so I'll be going back to that.

The demos for Rush of Blood and opening sequence of Here They Lie has convinced me that VR horror is not my thing.

Eve demo wayyyy too short.

Battlezone demo was good, def gonna pick that up.

Thumper...Jesus h Christ on a bike. Buying asap.

Wayward Sky...along with the Robot Rescue platformer I'm feeling happy the third person viewpoints are not only viable in VR but bring their own special ideas to the table.

I also played UC4 on the medium cinema screen, but also Resogun and Gow3 Remaster on the large box ne, and I have to say, as with movies I'm pleasantly surprised at the quality. Resogun was pretty mental on the giant screen.

My stomach's fine - I've played all the titles most people are having problems with with little or only mild motion sickness, still have to play RIGS tho.

Battlezone is like you are in the TRON world, it's just amazing, EVE is good too, thank god I didn't get the dizziness many people have been experiencing with this game also I got it at 20$ thanks to Amazon pricing error which sweetens the deal,asking full price for this game is a tad too much.
I tested RiGS but I can't for the life of me control that mech I don't even fully understand what the different instances do (repair, boost, attack) if I could pilot that mech second nature then I'd buy it

Moreche

I agree with you totally. If the support is there I can see myself going PSVR games only in the future. Playing games on a TV is just not there for me anymore.
Personally I can see myself giving up gaming as a hobby if VR dies. This is not a honeymoon phase for me, in the past few days PSVR has totally changed how I want to play and experience games from now on.
Imagine playing Mario 64 ghost house or chasing the eel in VR? If Sony or anyone is not building a quality third person platform game then I don't know.

Tagyhag

Everyone clamoring for a platformer, try Bound! It's a fantastic VR showpiece. It's one of the best virtual worlds to be in I think, great sense of scale, lots of moving parts, smart camera use.

I must be the only one that thinks Bound plays better without VR than with it. VR doesn't really add much and the camera switching isn't smart at all, it's constant, jarring, and doesn't go with the flow of the game at all.

Like, I can't even imagine playing a platformer like Mario with so many jump cuts.

I agree with you totally. If the support is there I can see myself going PSVR games only in the future. Playing games on a TV is just not there for me anymore.
Personally I can see myself giving up gaming as a hobby if VR dies. This is not a honeymoon phase for me, in the past few days PSVR has totally changed how I want to play and experience games from now on.
Imagine playing Mario 64 ghost house or chasing the eel in VR? If Sony or anyone is not building a quality third person platform game then I don't know.

Lol wait a month before saying this. VR is great but I'm pretty sure you won't quit gaming altogether.

Managed to get my camera resting on top of my TV which improved the drifting and pulsing issues I was having in Batman. Restarted it and completed it and honestly it was really good. It was short, yes, but I had so much fun playing it. And the ending...holy crap.

I need more!

Vlaphor

For those saying that PSVR is sold out everywhere, check your local Wal-Mart's. I work in one and we have several still in stock (of both bundles), even though everyone else seems to be sold out.

After two heavy usage days of VR I think it's time for a break. Need to let my body agjust a bit. But man I'm surprised and excited at how much more content I want to consume from this launch batch. I went in thinking the launch lineup was week but now I'm overwhelmed at all the stuff I want to play.

I am getting obsessed with the prospects of VR. I'm buying games like Thumper that would be in the "wait for sale" camp just due to VR and loving it. I don't think the VR sales will be super huge due to the barrier of entry so far but I do expect it to have a very dedicated and buying happy fan base. Vita like in that it'll be worthwhile for game makers to make games for a relatively niche group

One other random thought. I'm sure I'll eventually grow tired of it but for now I actually like the elaborate VR setup I go through for a session. Go the the box, get the headset, position my table near the chair and lay out the controllers, get the headset, plug it all in, etc. it's very dramatic and feels epic

Man RIGS is pretty amazing. Only played about 30-45 because I don't want to push it. But I find the right stick movement and turning off the mask visor is fine for me so far. I don't like the head turning at all. It looks fantastic. Battlezone is also very cool.

For those saying that PSVR is sold out everywhere, check your local Wal-Mart's. I work in one and we have several still in stock (of both bundles), even though everyone else seems to be sold out.
I saw several bundles and regular headsets at the local Best Buy yesterday. I don't think ultimately the supply was as short as some feared.

Cynn

A great deal of this is uncharted territory - 'snap turning' is one way to potentially minimize SDE / motion sickness.
Generally speaking, though, everyone's experience is going to be different. As people become more acclimated to VR, motion sickness diminishes, and tolerance improves. I think offering the option to switch modes will become the norm.
I have an iron gut so far and I really enjoy games with full twinstick movement. RIGs and World War Toons (twinstick is a setting buried in the options menu) really make me feel like I'm in a 3DVR environment and not just on a ride or rails. Being able to freely walk around and look at a 3D world with true scale is magic to me.

I really hope gamers can adapt quickly so devs will give us ambitious games sooner than later. I want to be able to walk around in a Skyrim type world freely in VR.

I suggest everyone download World War Toons and go into options to select twinstick controls. Then load up the training level and just walk around looking at stuff. Imagine that in a grander scale. That's where I want to be.

Soi-Fong

Man RIGS is pretty amazing. Only played about 30-45 because I don't want to push it. But I find the right stick movement and turning off the mask visor is fine for me so far. I don't like the head turning at all. It looks fantastic. Battlezone is also very cool.

Rigs really is one of the stronger titles in the lineup. It's just the best feeling in the world when you get a touchdown or jump through the hoop in Powerslam.

It really does well in making you feel like an athlete in this world.

Grinchy

Banned

Yeah, RIGS is probably the best game. I have to force myself not to play it so I can get to other games.

Battlezone is also very, very good. And it's much harder than I was expecting. My only complaint about it is that it seems to be sub-native resolution. It's maybe the most aliased and low res looking game of the bunch that I've played so far.

PSVR is ruining gaming on my TV for me and I don't say that lightly.
How do I play another platform game on my TV after playing the platform segment in Playroom VR? How do I play another racing game after Driveclub VR? How do play another Batman game after Arkham VR?
I seriously mean that if VR doesn't take off in gaming I might just take up another hobby. I've read that VR needs its Mario 64 game, I don't think it does, for me the experiences are its Mario 64 moment.

Exactly.

The past 2 days, I've woken up early already thinking about putting it on and playing (I haven't felt this way, since being a kid with the cool toys after Christmas.)

I'm 35 now, this feeling doesn't come easily anymore.

The PS4 Pro was never on my radar, but I am loving my PSVR so much that if I see any benefit og image quality for PSVR Games I am considering getting one now.
I am going to wait and see first until a clear case is made thou

That is exactly how I feel. I wasn't planning on getting the Pro at all. If it benefits the PSVR a great deal, I'm definitely going to consider getting one as well. Just have to wait for reviews and impressions.

mejin

you guys are doing a better job to promote PSVR than Sony. lol

I wish it was easy to get one in Brazil...grey market is selling it for R$3500 and above which means more than U$1000. Crazy shit.

dochuge

So I can't get the move controllers to work with PlayStation VR worlds. They turn off when I get into the game and I get a "please reconnect the controller" message. I back out and the move controllers light up again. I really want to try London Heist with these controllers. Other games like job simulator work just fine. Anyone have any idea?

Piichan

Banned
I'm not a fan of racing games at all, but Driveclub is my absolute favorite of all the demos. No carsickness either. Thinking about getting the full game.

Inotti

. Our local Best Buy has several :) though it may depend on your location. Regardless, I would contact the retailer for a replacement.

I live in Finland and I'm pretty sure here retailers don't exchange faulty products instead they send them to Sony for repair/exchange and that usually takes weeks. :/ I think I'm going to wait for a while before returning this to the store to be sent to sony. It's still a bummer though. :/

Yeah, RIGS is probably the best game. I have to force myself not to play it so I can get to other games.

Battlezone is also very, very good. And it's much harder than I was expecting. My only complaint about it is that it seems to be sub-native resolution. It's maybe the most aliased and low res looking game of the bunch that I've played so far.

I'm glad you said about the difficulty on Battlezone. It's challenging and I thought it may just be me lol. Have you encountered a nemesis yet?

you guys are doing a better job to promote PSVR than Sony. lol

I wish it was easy to get one in Brazil...grey market is selling it for R$3500 and above which means more than U$1000. Crazy shit.
We are because honestly it's the only way to actually sell it. There's nothing they can show you that would be able to convey VR. It's one of the hardest things to sell because you have to see it yourself. I can't wait to show VR off to friends and family

Tumle

What games does this happen in?

I noticed in a few games, when I approached the "out of play" area it would start to get darker the closer I got to the edge of the play area. Then go completely dark before getting the out of play message.
I also had it in playroom, when you look at the miniature robots, it would black out if you clipped some of the geometry, when trying to look closer at things :)

Gurrry

It sucks man. I really wanna buy this because its more "affordable". But then I tell myself, if Im spending 500.. whats another 300 bucks when you could get the Vive.

I just need to tell myself to wait on all of it, but ill be damned if im not clamoring for some RIGS right now.

Matush

PSVR and VR in general is legit.

Yesterday I had around 5 or 6 people to come over and try it out. Everyone was pretty much blown away and had a blast. Their screams, laughs and moments of awe were sight to behold. I have never ever seen anyone to respond to gaming in such way.

So far I only have Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes, The Playroom VR and Demo Disc, all of which got tested yesterday. Cant believe how well made and fun Playroom VR actually is. We must have played like 10 rounds of Wanted, several round of Ghost House and Cat and Mouse. Everyone loved it.

Same goes to Keep Talking, I actually printed out (fan translated) manual so my friends do not have problem understanding all the different module solutions etc.

Also important to mention, only one person was motion sick after playing few seconds of Barfclub VR. (no surprise I guess)

I am still waiting for retail releases, since most of the games I am interested in still did not come to our market.

This is really the next step in gaming/technology and it is the one I believed in from the first time I've tried VR.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, just tried out SUPERHYPERCUBE demo, that game is amazing.

It sucks man. I really wanna buy this because its more "affordable". But then I tell myself, if Im spending 500.. whats another 300 bucks when you could get the Vive.

I just need to tell myself to wait on all of it, but ill be damned if im not clamoring for some RIGS right now.

Maybe go with the lower cost unit to see if it's something you want to invest more into? If you really love it you can always sell the PSVR unit to get a vive.

I chose the PSVR route because of the games. The Ace Combats and the Resident Evils etc.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

As good at the Vive is. I think the content on PSVR is going to be a lot better. You have tons of indie devs on Rift/Vive vs AAA developers on PSVR. The games are so much more polished.

Got my launch bundle on the evening of the 13th after coming back from a trip. Unboxed and set it up the next day, and then got sick! I still haven't actually played any VR games on it yet. I think I am feeling better enough to do so today. At least from the setup process, I was impressed with the clarity. Going to try the demo disc and then look into the digital-only games I should check out. I definitely want to try Thumper after everything I've heard about it.

Not at all :) I've been saying how awesome VR is for a while now and 99% of the responses were "It's just a stupid gimmick, nobody wants to play their games like that, it's just a fad" but I gotta admit it's been pretty vindicating to see all the positive responses that prove that my common sense was correct. Check out this thread to see how far things have come with the public perception of VR now that, you know, people have actually tried it :p gotta give props to the level headed people in that thread though since alot of them were skeptical without going as far as saying

"This was known since day one, VR is just a gimmick, but this time an expensive one.
There will be some early adopters who will try to defend it, but after a very short period it will be an expensive dust collector."

As good at the Vive is. I think the content on PSVR is going to be a lot better. You have tons of indie devs on Rift/Vive vs AAA developers on PSVR. The games are so much more polished.

Yeah, but if the game is already designed for VR, why wouldn't those devs put the game out on the vive as well? A lot of the exclusive deals seem to be timed, and Sony hasnt really announced a ton of first party games.

Flandy

I had the same thought when I bought my core. But then I remembered I don't have enough room for room scale. Can't justify paying double when I wouldn't even be able to use the main advantage it has over its competitors.

DjRalford

Any word on if that game within a game one is coming to PSVR?

Can't remember what it was called but you were sat on a sofa playing a game while stuff happened around you from the game your playing on the virtual TV.

PBY

Banned
Not at all :) I've been saying how awesome VR is for a while now and 99% of the responses were "It's just a stupid gimmick, nobody wants to play their games like that, it's just a fad" but I gotta admit it's been pretty vindicating to see all the positive responses that prove that my common sense was correct. Check out this thread to see how far things have come with the public perception of VR now that, you know, people have actually tried it :p gotta give props to the level headed people in that thread though since alot of them were skeptical without going as far as saying

"This was known since day one, VR is just a gimmick, but this time an expensive one.
There will be some early adopters who will try to defend it, but after a very short period it will be an expensive dust collector."
I mean, I still think there's a chance it's a fad. Too soon to tell, I've been monitoring this thread really closely to see if I regretted cancelling my preorder.

I think for me, there just aren't any longform games, as opposed to smaller experiences and the tech seems iffy if serviceable. Too soon to say.

RoyalFool

Banned
Had a good go at SportsBarVR today.

They've priced it about right at £15.

It's the only PSVR title I've played where the FOV just feels off, especially when turning your head. This by itself is quite an immersion breaker but hopefully something they can easily patch.

The activities themselves are are mixed bag, pool is quite polished and has both AI and multiplayer modes. The move controllers perform about how you would expect in there usual clumsy yet usable way, if you don't put the cue away between shots you just end up knocking stuff and causing fouls.

Biggest gripe is moving around the table, given the PSVR cannot see behind you I was needing to use the 'hulk' mode (where you can turn the environment around) in order to line up shots without leaving the PS camera's vision. In this respect it probably shows up the limitations of the PSVR system more than any other title I've played, I imagine something like the Vive with it's full room tracking would be perfect in comparison. and it wouldn't surprise me if I found out this was developed with the Vive in mind.

Darts is completely fubar, sometimes they fly where you expect, sometimes they drop to the floor. Pretty much unplayable and feels like a last minute inclusion. The only way to put the darts away when you are done is to drop them on the floor one by one.

Air hockey and hoop-shots both work really well, the latter has a high-score board that seemingly never actually updates, hoping they can patch that in too.

Graphically it's a mixed bag, you have a large space with a lot going on but all of it is quite simplistic. The NPC's especially are very old school PS2 style character models which are too plastic looking to create any sort of emotional response when you get up close to them. On the plus side, you can put bins on their heads to avoid this problem.

Most of the environment is interactive, you can pick up chairs and throw them about, open the fridge and get out cans. But, nothing really reacts to anything, sure you can throw a fridge across the room but nothing else will budge, and the NPCs will not react. The inability to pour a pint behind the bar is also a big oversight.

This might sound quite negative, but add some other players in it becomes pretty awesome. As the only social sandbox title out on PSVR at the moment, it's a basic, albeit functional example of what the genre could offer.

Weirdly the menu system is slick as fuck, once summoned they have a physical presence and you can move them about etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom