• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any word on if that game within a game one is coming to PSVR?

Can't remember what it was called but you were sat on a sofa playing a game while stuff happened around you from the game your playing on the virtual TV.

Is this the one you're thinking of?

NSFW language warning for anyone at work

I mean, I still think there's a chance it's a fad. Too soon to tell, I've been monitoring this thread really closely to see if I regretted cancelling my preorder.

I think for me, there just aren't any longform games, as opposed to smaller experiences and the tech seems iffy if serviceable. Too soon to say.

No, there isn't any chance of that and just like I said years ago, that's just the reality of the situation. VR is legit and it's here to stay.

Man, the Playroom VR platformer made me feel woozy. It's how the camera suddenly moves forward even being 3rd person gets me. I had to stop and lay for a while.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Yeah, but if the game is already designed for VR, why wouldn't those devs put the game out on the vive as well?

They might but the thing is we know we already have the best VR games on any platform and that is likely only going to improve. Content is king.

It's still strange that on the Demo disc some of the games.... Don't have a demo.

Bound doesn't have one, though I already owned it.

Superhypercube doesn't in the US....

bodine1231

The PSVR stand is totally worth it. Its really nice to have everything in one spot and it seems to charge the move controllers much faster than usb.

They might but the thing is we know we already have the best VR games on any platform and that is likely only going to improve. Content is king.

I agree, but a lot of those games are already planned to come to other platforms. Batman, Rez, Thumper, battlezone, superhyper cube, Robinson etc are all planned for release on the other platforms. I think the only big game that isn't going to the Vive is Rigs.

Like I said, I do agree with you. I went with PSVR over the vive because of the games at launch. But if they announce a vive 2.0 revision, with a maybe slightly higher res screen, I'd probably bite on it.

This years PSX is going to be huge. If they don't announce 3-5 MAJOR new PS VR titles, I'll be a little worried. At that point pretty much everything except for RE7 will be out and I need to know they are still pushing for big titles on the platform.

Can't justify paying double when I wouldn't even be able to use the main advantage it has over its competitors.

For me I'm not that fussed about room scale because I'm a lazy console gamer haha

I've played extensively on my brothers vive and while the tech is amazing I just end up knackered. A bit like the time me and 3 friends decided to have a wii Olympics night. After one round of events we were all too fucked to play :)

Yeah, but if the game is already designed for VR, why wouldn't those devs put the game out on the vive as well? A lot of the exclusive deals seem to be timed, and Sony hasnt really announced a ton of first party games.
The headsets are functionally different. Vive is room scale where PSVR is not. I can easily see PSVR being the go-to VR device due to sales which is due to price and low barrier of technical setup. Most VR experiences will probably be designed with this in mind and hit PSVR first.

Room scale is great but who honestly has that kind of space? Why would devs choose room scale over something more easily accessible and adopted?

-

Had a few buds try PSVR last night. A friend immediately lifted my extra bundle off my hands after a few moments of trying and the others are out getting it as I type this.

Looking at this thread and seeing reactions of people in person - VR should have a bright future.

Battlezone is like you are in the TRON world, it's just amazing, EVE is good too, thank god I didn't get the dizziness many people have been experiencing with this game also I got it at 20$ thanks to Amazon pricing error which sweetens the deal,asking full price for this game is a tad too much.
I tested RiGS but I can't for the life of me control that mech I don't even fully understand what the different instances do (repair, boost, attack) if I could pilot that mech second nature then I'd buy it

The full Rigs tutorial does a much better job at preparing you for matches than the demo does.

Tagyhag

As good at the Vive is. I think the content on PSVR is going to be a lot better. You have tons of indie devs on Rift/Vive vs AAA developers on PSVR. The games are so much more polished.

It's really going to depend on the person's taste. For example, I rather play 10 great indie games than 1 great AAA game. Which is in general the ratio of games coming out (It might be bigger).

Of course with VR, they ratio could be anything so we won't know until a few years.

Everyone should go out and buy wayward sky now! Holy moly I am so impressed.. definitely a sleeper ps vr hit.
What's so good about it? I wanted to like the demo but seemed like a collection of mini games in a story wrapper more than a game.

I bought Batman as my first game, seemed like a solid: Here is VR purchase to show myself and others.

Debating RIGS; I am unsure that there will be enough players to play with at a given time. Same goes for EVE Valkyrie but less so there as I didn't have as much fun.

Definitely Thumper and Rez. Also interesting in Tomb Raider for the experience and haven't played the sequel yet. Can any share some experiences there or is it not out yet?

valeu

you guys are doing a better job to promote PSVR than Sony. lol

I wish it was easy to get one in Brazil...grey market is selling it for R$3500 and above which means more than U$1000. Crazy shit.

and then...remember...you can't get the digital-only vr titles like super hypercybe or wayward sky until the brazilian psn store has vr games when psvr launches here in march

Ok I'm tired of having large burly men invading my personal space... is it worth getting Summer Lesson if I have essentially no knowledge of Japanese? Or should I just hope Bandai Namco see the light and localize it for the US?

I am tempted to order one of these, but I am restricted to getting it from Game (as I have the money on a gift card) and they don't have it available to order on their website.

Soi-Fong

What's so good about it? I wanted to like the demo but seemed like a collection of mini games in a story wrapper more than a game.

I bought Batman as my first game, seemed like a solid: Here is VR purchase to show myself and others.

Debating RIGS; I am unsure that there will be enough players to play with at a given time. Same goes for EVE Valkyrie but less so there as I didn't have as much fun.

Definitely Thumper and Rez. Also interesting in Tomb Raider for the experience and haven't played the sequel yet. Can any share some experiences there or is it not out yet?

I understand your concern with Rigs, but considering the amount of meat it has even in the SP, that's not as much a worry as say Eve which is for the most part ONLY multiplayer.

MrBigBoy

Is there any way of using the headset without a PS4? I have the headset already, but the PS4 Pro in pre-order.

Can I connect the headset to the processing unit to make the display turn on? If that works I can enjoy myself and getting used to the screen until the Pro arrives :p

Grinchy

Banned
Is there any way of using the headset without a PS4? I have the headset already, but the PS4 Pro in pre-order.

Can I connect the headset to the processing unit to make the display turn on? If that works I can enjoy myself and getting used to the screen until the Pro arrives :p

You can hook your PC, Xbox, Wii U, ect up to it in the meantime and use the cinema mode.

RoyalFool

Banned

Nope, you can hook another HDMI source into it, but it still requires the PS4 handshake via the USB cable for it to turn fully on.

Flandy

Is the Brookhaven experiment any good? I really enjoyed rush of blood / lightgun games in general.
I played about half an hour of it yesterday. Seems to be wave based survival game.
It's pretty fun and tense. Had me jumping a few times when I got snuck up on
I'll post more impressions of it after I play it again later

Matush

I played about half an hour of it yesterday. Seems to be wave based survival game.
How does the Move tracking work when the enemies are behind you?

Thanks I'd like to hear more. Trailer mentioned a campaign? Maybe it's coming later.

I'm just putting the headset back in it's box when done, it seems to be nicely designed to be used that way.
That's what I've been doing as well, although....

I think you just convinced me on the stand, that looks good.

I understand your concern with Rigs, but considering the amount of meat it has even in the SP, that's not as much a worry as say Eve which is for the most part ONLY multiplayer.
Oh it has a decent SP story or is it just from game to game with AI?

Exactly.

The past 2 days, I've woken up early already thinking about putting it on and playing (I haven't felt this way, since being a kid with the cool toys after Christmas.)

I'm 35 now, this feeling doesn't come easily anymore.

So this is exactly my impression. I was in the cancelled preorder camp that then bought one launch morning. I couldn't be happier with my purchase so far. I'm 36 and basically been through most of the evolution in gaming, and I can't think of the last thing I purchased in gaming that constantly has given me wow moments.

DeeBatch

Have a faulty cable 4 so I can't move much and literally have to sit next to the PU which itself is close to my entertainment center but EVE Valkyrie is dope. I've built some "tolerance" I guess and I don't get sick as fast as before. Won't go near RIGS at all. That game made me sick the worst.

Besides the faulty extension cable PSVR has been a delightful experience. Sony has dropped the ball when it comes to customer support. Although the Sony rep was very kind and helpful, and after a lengthy troubleshooting process was able to figure out cable 4 was the culprit I think it is unacceptable for Sony to not overnight me a new cable.

I even told the rep, listen charge me for the cable, let me pay for overnight shipping myself, just let me get my cable tomorrow or asap". Asap for Sony was the stock response of 7-10 business days. That is not unacceptable to me. The fact that Sony turned down my money and refused to overnight it because their system "did not support that" is inconceivable to me.

Take it back to where you got it and swap it out while they have them in stock.. Its less than 7 days man all retailers will exchange it.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
It's really going to depend on the person's taste. For example, I rather play 10 great indie games than 1 great AAA game. Which is in general the ratio of games coming out (It might be bigger).

Of course with VR, they ratio could be anything so we won't know until a few years.

There's going to be plenty of indie games for PSVR.

I'm pretty confident it's going to have the best VR library.

Think I'm getting a bit more accustomed to VR. Tried the horror game demo here it lies again and didn't get nearly as motion sick as I did the first time. A little bit but not nearly as much.

gcubed

that looks good. but i think im going to wait for the headset rack that charges 4 controllers. (2x2)

Yea I have that one ordered, wanted the extra chargers and the stand for the headphones too.

I will say that I have glasses that I never wear because my vision isn't bad, just things kinda lose definition further away, but wearing them while playing VR has fixed most of my headache problems

I started the Until Dawn: Rush of Blood demo, and...god fucking dammit. First time something jumped at me it scared the fucking shit out of me. Horror was one of the things I wanted to experience in VR, but shit the bed, I wasn't ready. Between the Kitchen demo, that and what I played of Here They Lie was rough

The PSVR stand is totally worth it. Its really nice to have everything in one spot and it seems to charge the move controllers much faster than usb.

This is probably a stupid question, but how do get your helmet to stay up on the stand straight like that? The front of my VR helmet sags down.

BadHand

I need to do something with that little hdmi box that hangs off the headset. I'm terrified for stepping on it while using VR. At the moment I drop the cables over my forearm while playing, so it hangs about waist height.

Need a belt clip or something.

The headsets are functionally different. Vive is room scale where PSVR is not. I can easily see PSVR being the go-to VR device due to sales which is due to price and low barrier of technical setup. Most VR experiences will probably be designed with this in mind and hit PSVR first.

Room scale is great but who honestly has that kind of space? Why would devs choose room scale over something more easily accessible and adopted?

That argument makes no sense, Vive games don't NEED to be room scale. You can put a PSVR game on vive without changing anything. EVE isn't room scale just because it's on the vive. The difference is that the experience on the Vive will always be better because of the power of the PC, the headset itself, as well as the tracking they use.

Also PSVR has partial room scale. In Batman, ocean descent, job simulator etc you move around a small space. You can walk around, Vive would just enhance that.

Many people said it already. It's here to stay.

We'll see. I really enjoy it but I don't know about that. I get motion sick on a few games and it's physically tiring to play some of these games in 30+ minute sessions. Eyes get tired and arms get tired on London Heist shooting gallery with move controllers.

newarrior

I played a handful of the demo's and messed around with a bit of VR Worlds, but nothing is really catching me. What am I missing? I think part of it has to do with the setup, I feel very restricted about how I have to sit while using PSVR, I can't just lay back and relax.

Any suggestions for games to try (tried Rez, Thumper, Rigs, Wayward Sky [found that unplayable, no idea what I was doing]), and more importantly, ways to set up the camera and chair for the most comfortable? I tried Playroom, and it was nearly impossible for me to sit in a position it wanted me to during the setup. I found the platformer pretty cool, though. Worlds looked really cool, but it's not really a game.

Grinchy

Banned
Think I'm getting a bit more accustomed to VR. Tried the horror game demo here it lies again and didn't get nearly as motion sick as I did the first time. A little bit but not nearly as much.

I'm wondering if the day will ever come when I can take more than 3 steps in World War Toons.

My only issue right now with the PSVR is the tracking/drifting that it does for me. It always goes to the left after a while and I still can't fix it. Having no other issues but that one though!

bodine1231

I started the Until Dawn: Rush of Blood demo, and...god fucking dammit. First time something jumped at me it scared the fucking shit out of me. Horror was one of the things I wanted to experience in VR, but shit the bed, I wasn't ready. Between the Kitchen demo, that and what I played of Here They Lie was rough

This is probably a stupid question, but how do get your helmet to stay up on the stand straight like that? The front of my VR helmet sags down.

Tighten the back of it with the knob

Naudi

Banned
Tried the until dawn demo, not suse i can handle horror in VR. The sense of presence makes me feel like I'm actually about to die lol. I still haven't bought any games just doing all the demos, kinda lame that some of them are shorter then the loading screen to get into it. Job simulator looks amazing and I'll end up buying for sure.

Tagyhag

There's going to be plenty of indie games for PSVR.

I'm pretty confident it's going to have the best VR library.

Right, but there's way less than on the PC.

Like I said, it'll depend on the person, some people believe that the PS4 has a better library than the PC. Those will probably be the people who think the same of PSVR since even though VR is new, it still shares the closed/open formats of their older siblings. So you are bound to see some similarities a few years down the road.

But I still highly doubt a closed system will have more games on it than an open one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom