• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Launch Thread: Welcome to The Real World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waveset

The PSVR stand is totally worth it. Its really nice to have everything in one spot and it seems to charge the move controllers much faster than usb.

Does it have mini or micro USB points? I have the old Move controllers but don't know if it's compatible with those.

SomTervo

Is there a campaign on the PC? Trailer seemed to mention there was one.

Yeah on PC I think there are 10+ levels and a narrative throughout. You unlock guns and levels as you progress. I didn't enjoy it as much as other wave shooters so stopped playing.

Unsure if this is all on ps4.

Hi,

If you were asking about demo of Bound ...

We are on it ... we will try to upload it in a week

Props to you guys. Thanks for posting.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Does the fuzziness/SDE REALLY damage the experience for anyone else? I calibrated fully, did the eye measurement thing, etc. The visuals just aren't clear at all.

AGRacing

ghost-of-spookie-albums-halloween-store-items-2012-picture124467-hobby-lobby-2012-male-female-styrofoam-heads-females-were-around-5-more-detailed-males-10-11-range-i-believe.jpg

I bought a Styrofoam head at Michael's craft store in Calgary for 11 bucks. It will balance a VR headset but only just so. If you maybe glue it down to a board it will stand easier. I did some research and found you can brush white glue on them and then paint them after it dries. I suppose you could do all kinds of crazy theme heads :) I think I'll find a mustache for mine.

This is my first post ever on Neogaf after reading for years. I hope the image displays.

DirtyLarry

My only issue right now with the PSVR is the tracking/drifting that it does for me. It always goes to the left after a while and I still can't fix it. Having no other issues but that one though!
Was the same for me, which lead to this...
OYcc.png

I returned it myself.
I also owned Oculus so I have already experienced VR which no doubt made my decision much easier. After 6 hours of every position imaginable in my living room I just could not live with the tracking issues. I was not rearranging my house or taking down paintings or removing my carpet with a pattern or doing anything else in some crazy way to get it properly working.
If I was younger and on my own there is no doubt I would figure out a way to get it working properly. Since I am a tad older with a family who I share the house with, I was done. I just could not get it working in my setup, so that was that.

I am very glad so many people are enjoying it though. Keep enjoying it as that means it has a real chance of being something that sticks. I do hope that is the case as if so I will be purchasing Oculus again when they release their next unit.

I think PSVR might not only be the best gaming purchase I've made it's also the best entertainment device I own. Watching those 3D VR Space movies from the VRIDEO app blew my mind. It's gonna be hard going back to regular flat screen documentaries after this lol. I can't wait to see how VR really shakes up media in the years to come.

DeeBatch

I think PSVR might not only be the best gaming purchase I've made it's also the best entertainment device I own. Watching those 3D VR Space movies from the VRIDEO app blew my mind. It's gonna be hard going back to regular flat screen documentaries after this lol. I can't wait to see how VR really shakes up media in the years to come.

What? where is this Vrideo app?

tusken77

ghost-of-spookie-albums-halloween-store-items-2012-picture124467-hobby-lobby-2012-male-female-styrofoam-heads-females-were-around-5-more-detailed-males-10-11-range-i-believe.jpg

I bought a Styrofoam head at Michael's craft store in Calgary for 11 bucks. It will balance a VR headset but only just so. If you maybe glue it down to a board it will stand easier. I did some research and found you can brush white glue on them and then paint them after it dries. I suppose you could do all kinds of crazy theme heads :) I think I'll find a mustache for mine.

This is my first post ever on Neogaf after reading for years. I hope the image displays.

Nice first post. Great avatar, too. :)

DjRalford

Quick question, I see that the PSVR doesn't pass through HDR, so if i get a pro and want to play HDR enabled games it means swapping cables, If i got the below and put the PS4 Pro's output into the input of the splitter, and run A to the TV, and B to the PSVR i would then essentially have 2 PS4 outputs to the TV, one on say HDMI 1 which is raw PS4 footage from the splitter, HDMI 2 would be passed through the PSVR box, meaning i could go onto one channel for PS4 Pro games, and the other for PSVR.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LIGAWO-3090063-HDMI-Switch-Black/dp/B01KXCO4VU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1476639751&sr=8-2&keywords=HDR%2BHDMI%2BSwitch&th=1

Would this work?

newarrior

Does the fuzziness/SDE REALLY damage the experience for anyone else? I calibrated fully, did the eye measurement thing, etc. The visuals just aren't clear at all.

Yep, I hate it. It doesn't make sense to me, because I have to move my head to make it clear, which just feels wrong. There's no reason for it to be blurry, since we just have to move our eyes to make things to the side clear. I don't get it.

Yeah on PC I think there are 10+ levels and a narrative throughout. You unlock guns and levels as you progress. I didn't enjoy it as much as other wave shooters so stopped playing.

Unsure if this is all on ps4.

Props to you guys. Thanks for posting.

Nice. Thanks for the replies. I'll check it out.

lt519

Quite impressed with the amount of content they've released this thing with. I've tried VR Worlds, Playroom, Thumper, Battlezone, and Bound. I've barely scratched the surface in any of those and still have Batman downloaded and the entire Demo disc. I'm finding myself hopping around games like crazy wanting to try a bit of everything.

I'm having some trouble with this too. I remember it being clearer at Best Buy and everything I do at this point still has blurriness at far range of the depth of field. However, playing a proper game like Bound and seeing how good it looks I think a lot of it is the tech demo-ish stuff just isn't the best.

Naudi

Banned
Yep, I hate it. It doesn't make sense to me, because I have to move my head to make it clear, which just feels wrong. There's no reason for it to be blurry, since we just have to move our eyes to make things to the side clear. I don't get it.

Have you taken the time to adjust the headset to fit properly? I know if I don't it's blurry but once you find the sweet spot and tighten it sharpens up alot.

warlock7

Neo Member
Was the same for me, which lead to this...
OYcc.png

I returned it myself.
I also owned Oculus so I have already experienced VR which no doubt made my decision much easier. After 6 hours of every position imaginable in my living room I just could not live with the tracking issues. I was not rearranging my house or taking down paintings or removing my carpet with a pattern or doing anything else in some crazy way to get it properly working.
If I was younger and on my own there is no doubt I would figure out a way to get it working properly. Since I am a tad older with a family who I share the house with, I was done. I just could not get it working in my setup, so that was that.

I am very glad so many people are enjoying it though. Keep enjoying it as that means it has a real chance of being something that sticks. I do hope that is the case as if so I will be purchasing Oculus again when they release their next unit.

I've experienced the leftwards drift too, but it's not really that bad. I'm sure it's something that will be addressed in a patch update. Patience with the bleeding edge is a necessity these days. Did you really expect a perfect product with a day one device?

Playroom VR is turning into a right gem of a game (well mini games) The 3D platformer is bloody brilliant its been said before but Sony really need to make it a full game.

Also and has anyone noticed, in the Monster Attack game, the person with the headset (monster) can speak and the microphone on the PSVR makes the monster say what they say but in a high pitch squeaky voice, so funny. Me and the girlfriend have been laughing our ass off all afternoon playing this.

Does it have mini or micro USB points? I have the old Move controllers but don't know if it's compatible with those.

the new Move controllers are exactly the same as the old ones, I believe.

Finally tried the Playroom platformer last night....holy damn. It's so hard to describe what makes it so great w/o just trying it for yourself. The feeling of this charming little platformer world being all around you, and they do a great job of making you feel there by having your "head" bump into rocks and hanging branches. I got some of the same vibes as the first time I played Mario 64.

My only issue right now with the PSVR is the tracking/drifting that it does for me. It always goes to the left after a while and I still can't fix it. Having no other issues but that one though!
Yeah the drifting is the only issue I can't reliably control. It seems to happen in almost everything. It's not deal breaking but I'd prefer it didn't happen

newarrior

Have you taken the time to adjust the headset to fit properly? I know if I don't it's blurry but once you find the sweet spot and tighten it sharpens up alot.

I spent at least two hours trying to figure out a way to have it sit comfortably on my head and look good, and it never worked. Maybe I've got a weird-shaped head or something :D The best I could get it is clear, but it gives me a splitting headache, pressing on my head super tight.

Tried the until dawn demo, not suse i can handle horror in VR. The sense of presence makes me feel like I'm actually about to die lol. I still haven't bought any games just doing all the demos, kinda lame that some of them are shorter then the loading screen to get into it. Job simulator looks amazing and I'll end up buying for sure.

I'm in the same boat. It's just like...man. I knew going into these games the immerson level, and I try to think of it like an acid trip, you know. Like, it's crazy, but it's not real. It's probably even less real if you're sitting and you know nothing is going to happen unlike being on drugs where you could wonder around and hurt yourself. But you're too lucid during it. I wanna try again, but I really don't know if I'll be able to or not.

I'm having such a tough time with battlezone. Everything that doesn't result in a forward progression ramps the difficulty up.

Why did CCP release Gunjack when there's already Valkyrie? Just a simpler and cheaper version I'm guessing.

Ellite25

So is the resolution for the home screen when using the PSVR the best we're gonna get? Or will the Pro allow for a bump in resolution? I love the cinema mode and it would be cool to play games that way, I'd just like it to be a bit clearer.

Naudi

Banned
I spent at least two hours trying to figure out a way to have it sit comfortably on my head and look good, and it never worked. Maybe I've got a weird-shaped head or something :D The best I could get it is clear, but it gives me a splitting headache, pressing on my head super tight.

Oh wow that's too bad. For me and my wife having the back strap lower on the head was comfortable and clear then we just moved the visor all the way in. Fits me perfect but for her there is a little light bleed from the bottom.

ryseing

Speaking of horror, while I wouldn't call Batman scary it is certainly unsettling. Uncanny valley is real with most of the character models.

Can't bring myself to finish the last chapter.

I'm having such a tough time with battlezone. Everything that doesn't result in a forward progression ramps the difficulty up.

Why did CCP release Gunjack when there's already Valkyrie? Just a simpler and cheaper version I'm guessing.

Yeah, I'm going to have to try Battlezone on easy. Normal is way too tough in SP.

And Gunjack/Valkyrie are two different things. Gunjack is on rails and was originally a mobile game. Valkyrie is a dogfighter with an impressive sense of scale.

Naudi

Banned
I'm in the same boat. It's just like...man. I knew going into these games the immerson level, and I try to think of it like an acid trip, you know. Like, it's crazy, but it's not real. It's probably even less real if you're sitting and you know nothing is going to happen unlike being on drugs where you could wonder around and hurt yourself. But you're too lucid during it. I wanna try again, but I really don't know if I'll be able to or not.

Yeah the first time I played London Heist and that big dude got in my face the dread was real. When he pointed the gun at my face I almost called it quits lol I'm very excited about the future and I still can't believe this thing has delivered beyond what I thought it would.

Fisty

Gotta say I was really disappointed with the presentation of Volume: Coda, res was pretty bad and text was near unreadable in some cases (which is a huge issue for me because I really like the lore). Obviously I'm not too bummed because the patch was free and the main game was beyond great, but I'm hoping they can patch it to be a bit cleaner or maybe at least a pro patch to sharpen it up. I actually spent like 3x longer just looking around the room that playing the game

DeeBatch

So is the resolution for the home screen when using the PSVR the best we're gonna get? Or will the Pro allow for a bump in resolution? I love the cinema mode and it would be cool to play games that way, I'd just like it to be a bit clearer.

No I believe the pro will super sample from 1800p maybe even 4k via checkerboard method. Ps4 pro will make these games look better 4 sure. Some games TMK have been reported to run better and @ higher res on PS4 pro.

We need a forward compatible flight stick and throttle. Would work great for tank, mech and flight games. Seeing all of the racing wheels out there for just racing games it pains me to see little compatability with flight sticks.

Hopefully we will see more flight style games and supported peripherals in the future for VR.

I used to fly ace with my old Saitek in BF2. Nobody could take me out in a chopper, not even jets. It was silly good to have that kind of control vs mouse/kb in a chopper. Barrel rolls, running people over buzzing the ground, power dives, etc. Man I would love to have that kind of control in a good flight, mech or tank game.

Tagg9

Speaking of horror, while I wouldn't call Batman scary it is certainly unsettling. Uncanny valley is real with most of the character models.

Definitely. Once you beat the game and unlock the Joker character model, change it to the "Eye" icon stance where he's leaning forward. If you also lean forward to look at him, his eyes will follow yours and it is extremely unsettling. I found myself in an staring match with him last night and had to switch the console off immediately afterwards because it was so unnerving.

Ellite25

No I believe the pro will super sample from 1800p maybe even 4k via checkerboard method. Ps4 pro will make these games look better 4 sure. Some games TMK have been reported to run better and @ higher res on PS4 pro.
Well what I mean is, say I play Uncharted 4 with my PSVR in cinema mode, as it stands now the resolution isn't very crisp in the headset. Will the PS4 Pro improve the resolution in these situations? So not that it's improving the resolution of the game, but the resolution of the PSVR image that you're seeing. Hopefully that makes sense.

Maligna

Banned
All you people complaining about blurriness, did you make sure to take the plastic protectors off the lenses? You'd be surprised how many people have forgot to do that.

itf56

My late fifties father in law came around to visit my daughter today. He'd heard we had VR and wanted a go. Hasn't played games since the 8 bit days. Played the rush of blood demo and immediately started asking about how much it cost (and wasn't that perturbed by the 500 quid cost of entry) Seems clear to me that demoing this thing is what's going to sell it.

Ellite25

My late fifties father in law came around to visit my daughter today. He'd heard we had VR and wanted a go. Hasn't played games since the 8 bit days. Played the rush of blood demo and immediately started asking about how much it cost (and wasn't that perturbed by the 500 quid cost of entry) Seems clear to me that demoing this thing is what's going to sell it.
Every person I've had try it out said it was amazing. Not a single person has been disappointed. My brother said it was one of the best things he's ever experienced haha

Tagg9

Well what I mean is, say I play Uncharted 4 with my PSVR in cinema mode, as it stands now the resolution isn't very crisp in the headset. Will the PS4 Pro improve the resolution in these situations? So not that it's improving the resolution of the game, but the resolution of the PSVR image that you're seeing. Hopefully that makes sense.

No, it won't help at all in this regard. This is a restriction of the headset resolution, not the game's rendered resolution. The entire headset is 1080p, and if you have the projection size set to medium, the actual game is probably using 720p.

Ellite25

No, it won't help at all in this regard. This is a restriction of the headset resolution, not the game's rendered resolution. The entire headset is 1080p, and if you have the projection size set to medium, the actual game is probably using 720p.
Yeah I knew it had nothing to do with the game resolution. I was just wondering if maybe the vanilla PS4 didn't have enough power run games and send them to the PSVR at a higher resolution, with the PS4 Pro possible remedying this. I know the headset says 1080p but cinema mode is definitely not that resolution. I'm not a super tech guy when it comes to this stuff.

Definitely. Once you beat the game and unlock the Joker character model, change it to the "Eye" icon stance where he's leaning forward. If you also lean forward to look at him, his eyes will follow yours and it is extremely unsettling. I found myself in an staring match with him last night and had to switch the console off immediately afterwards because it was so unnerving.

heh, when he was saying 'psst, come closer' I was like nope

AGRacing

Quick question, I see that the PSVR doesn't pass through HDR, so if i get a pro and want to play HDR enabled games it means swapping cables, If i got the below and put the PS4 Pro's output into the input of the splitter, and run A to the TV, and B to the PSVR i would then essentially have 2 PS4 outputs to the TV, one on say HDMI 1 which is raw PS4 footage from the splitter, HDMI 2 would be passed through the PSVR box, meaning i could go onto one channel for PS4 Pro games, and the other for PSVR.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LIGAWO-3090063-HDMI-Switch-Black/dp/B01KXCO4VU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1476639751&sr=8-2&keywords=HDR%2BHDMI%2BSwitch&th=1

Would this work?

I talked to someone at Sewell last week about this. They sell an HDMI splitter (2.0a). He said that any splitter adds between 400u and 4ms to signal lag. Because of the VR headset wanting 18ms response from the point you turn your head to where the visual reflects that turn (over 20ms you feel sick) it is my understanding that a splitter would cause a problem for VR. Maybe there is a splitter out there that guarantees less lag.

I'm now a believer of VR!!! Holy shit, I never thought I would buy it when it launches, but all the positive impressions help me make that decision sooner. It is one of the best decisions I've made this year! Both me and my gf love it, all the demos we played put a huge ass smile on our face! Never have I seen my gf laugh and giggle at something gaming related.
I can't wait to see what Sony has to offer in terms of first party VR titles.

Moreche

My mother tried the Ocean Descent demo today and couldn't take it after a few seconds, she found it far too overwhelming. But she then tried the Alumette movie and was totally converted, she then would start talking about how it could enrich current TV experiences so much more.

iavi

the new Move controllers are exactly the same as the old ones, I believe.

Finally tried the Playroom platformer last night....holy damn. It's so hard to describe what makes it so great w/o just trying it for yourself. The feeling of this charming little platformer world being all around you, and they do a great job of making you feel there by having your "head" bump into rocks and hanging branches. I got some of the same vibes as the first time I played Mario 64.

Yeah, Robot rescue is a game-changer. I'm absolutely floored by how good it is too. It being an entirely new experience in gaming probably has to do a lot with it

It feeling a lot like a Mario game is apt. Part of me dreams of what a full VR Mario game would be after playing this

whitehawk

Banned
Yeah I knew it had nothing to do with the game resolution. I was just wondering if maybe the vanilla PS4 didn't have enough power run games and send them to the PSVR at a higher resolution, with the PS4 Pro possible remedying this. I know the headset says 1080p but cinema mode is definitely not that resolution. I'm not a super tech guy when it comes to this stuff.
If the PS4 used the entirety of the screen for true 1080p, I believe a lot of the image would be cut off, the corners. For a non-round image, it needs to be scaled down a bit to see the whole image, so you're probably seeing a '720p' or '900p' image.

I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom