• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

So I finally, finally got Driveclub VR, and I am pleasantly surprised at how much fun I'm having. Now I'm thinking about getting the Hori Apex Racing Wheel. Has anyone tried it out? What's it like? I've never used a driving wheel before, so I'm guessing going with a budget racing wheel over the uber expensive ones won't make much of a difference to me.

Also, complete side note, but if you're looking for Move controllers the BEST place to look is pawnshops. I got both of mine for $6 total.

I haven't but as a bare minimum when going for a budget wheel make sure it has force feedback. Without it you may as well just use the motion controls on the standard controller. Pay a little bit extra and get the T150 if you can..

Update on Job Simulator: It is still not working well at all

Just tried Catlateral Damage in VR, which is a very similar game to Job Sim in terms of how you play. Had absolutely no problems with the tracking. I was even able to sit on the floor and play! Loaded up Job Sim after 10 mins of Catlateral Damage and had the exact same issues. I quit out fast to avoid getting sick and tried Spider-Man. Had no tracking issues and it worked great! Job Simulator has something wrong going on, I'm afraid. It sucks because it is my only full game :( My only game doesn't even work right lol

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle

Just tried Catlateral Damage in VR, which is a very similar game to Job Sim in terms of how you play. Had absolutely no problems with the tracking. I was even able to sit on the floor and play! Loaded up Job Sim after 10 mins of Catlateral Damage and had the exact same issues. I quit out fast to avoid getting sick and tried Spider-Man. Had no tracking issues and it worked great! Job Simulator has something wrong going on, I'm afraid. It sucks because it is my only full game :( My only game doesn't even work right lol

My kiddo wanted to play Job Simulator last night and, no matter what I did, I kept getting a black screen. Nothing at all helped.

Ended up playing Arizona Sunshine but it was kinda clunky for her and, understandably, she's never fired a rifle before so she didn't really "get" using the Aim very well.

Horseticuffs

I'm playing on the Pro. It still bad.

What I meant was the virtual camera that pops up with a grid. That thing is so handy, its not even funny.

Should have pointed that out.
Now that IS something I want in an OS level! I can't tell you how often I raise my head and peek out underneath to see how turned around I am.

mikelly

Neo Member

I wonder what's going on with that? I showed it to some friends tonight and it worked great. That stinks really bad man. Batman's tracking is really great overall but once in a while when I'm looking to the side it can be a little weird. Job Simulator has been more solid overall for me though in the same conditions.
I know this probably won't help but have you reinstalled it or anything just to see if it helps? Just trying to think of any other ideas to help. Keep us posted and good luck.

This month I'll pull the trigger.
Bought RE7 on PSN sale and prep-ordered SuperHot with the PS+ discount.

Checked a local store last month and stocks are plentiful, already have the camera and Move controllers, too.

Apart from demos/free stuff, can someone direct me please to a list of the top rated VR games?
Mostly in the areas of experience/immersion+visuals as well as interactivity (i.e. using two move controllers as hands in meaningful ways).

Guppeth

I bought my headset months ago, but yesterday I finally bought Move controllers along with Arkham VR. I tried to play sitting down but the chair arms were in the way, and one of the Moves was glitching like crazy so my hand kept freezing and disappearing. I think it was due to sunlight bleeding through the curtains. I quit playing shortly after putting on the Batsuit. It was so frustrating I wanted to pack up the Moves and get my money back.

I decided to try again in the evening since I suspected the sun was fucking things up. I moved my chair and cleared some space so I could play standing. The Moves worked fine.

Oh my god! I'm as floored as I was the first time I tried VR. Motion control adds so much to the experience! I quit playing again after
analysing the Nightwing murder scene
, not because I was frustrated, but because I was totally overwhelmed.

I finished the rest this morning and it was my greatest experience in VR so far. I highly recommend picking up Moves even though they're glitchy crap, and if you do, you must play Arkham!

Next things on my shopping list are blackout curtains. Any suggestions for my next Move game? I already have Bridge Crew.

I bought my headset months ago, but yesterday I finally bought Move controllers along with Arkham VR. I tried to play sitting down but the chair arms were in the way, and one of the Moves was glitching like crazy so my hand kept freezing and disappearing. I think it was due to sunlight bleeding through the curtains. I quit playing shortly after putting on the Batsuit. It was so frustrating I wanted to pack up the Moves and get my money back.

I decided to try again in the evening since I suspected the sun was fucking things up. I moved my chair and cleared some space so I could play standing. The Moves worked fine.

Oh my god! I'm as floored as I was the first time I tried VR. Motion control adds so much to the experience! I quit playing again after

I finished the rest this morning and it was my greatest experience in VR so far. I highly recommend picking up Moves even though they're glitchy crap, and if you do, you must play Arkham!

Next things on my shopping list are blackout curtains. Any suggestions for my next Move game? I already have Bridge Crew.

I'm glad the situation was fixed for you, Anything can effect the tracking whther glass tables, Curtains etc. Some people just blame the headset, But it could be anything.

I agree with Batman, Totally immersive with motion controls, It gets really really good aswell! Since you have the moves, I would go with Rush of blood as that is seated and uses the moves really well.

MattAces

It sounds like the usual PS4 restart issue. If the problem came back again, make sure the PS4 is not booted from sleep mode. Do a simple restart or turn off and turn it back on.

Guppeth

I'm glad the situation was fixed for you, Anything can effect the tracking whther glass tables, Curtains etc. Some people just blame the headset, But it could be anything.

I agree with Batman, Totally immersive with motion controls, It gets really really good aswell! Since you have the moves, I would go with Rush of blood as that is seated and uses the moves really well.
And it has a demo, so I'll try it. I played it already with the controller but it's far from ideal.

It sounds like the usual PS4 restart issue. If the problem came back again, make sure the PS4 is not booted from sleep mode. Do a simple restart or turn off and turn it back on.
That was the first thing I tried. It's helped in the past when my headset has been jittery, but it didn't help this time which is why I think it was sunlight confusing the camera. Time will tell.

After having problems with my Moves the other day, when I turned on the headset to show it to me friend, the camera wouldn't start up. It was connected well and everything. So I turned off the console and restarted, and it worked again.

Mokubba

So I want to get back into RIGS again since I haven't played it since before the update but so much as changed as far as the rigs are concerned.

Can anyone just summaries what's changed and how's the online?

MattAces

Was doing my research on VR applications for my degree study project and found this app.

Virtually Live (App)
http://virtuallylive.com/
VIRTUAL VENUE
We use three dimensional tracking to capture the action as it happens. The captured data is used to recreate the scene virtually in near real-time.
IMMERSE
The fan has the freedom to move throughout the stadium and see what they want.
INTERACT
Fans are able to follow the match and interact with each other through chat and other audio/video channels.

*Splinter

So I want to get back into RIGS again since I haven't played it since before the update but so much as changed as far as the rigs are concerned.

Each rig has a second variant which is slightly faster but with less armour. I think all the weapons stayed the same. There's also a new map.

I think that's everything? Haven't played in a while so couldn't tell you what the online is like.

Also second variants might not be available for all rigs. They were planning to roll them out in batches but the devs were shut down after the first update.

I just started downloading rigs again this morning! I haven't played it on my PS4 Pro yet, and I'm looking to jump in too :D

Rigs still the best shooter on PSVR.
I think Sony should just relaunch the game with some tweaks:

- free to play, since there's a lot of content to unlock
- make it available to non-VR players, this game works on regular TV, less immersive but still
- make it cross-play VR and non-VR players

I really think RIGS already have enough content to make this happen, just need to change some stuff.

TheMan

So Starblood got a permanent cut to 20 bucks. Just picked it up last night. First impressions:

I can see why some people compared this to overwatch (granted, I've only played a few hours of OW during free weekends.) There are lots of ships, each of which has its own pilot. Characters are pretty lively and quirky, no standard bald space marines here. Each ship has different attributes (speed, armor, etc.) and special weapons. In addition, you can unlocks "mods", which are basically tokens that give you bonuses like 50% increased recharge speeds for specials.

Gameplay itself is like a fast-paced Descent: 360 degrees of freedom in fairly small arenas. I've only played a few single-player matches, but they're frentic, I'd say much moreso that Eve. SP "campaign" is really just a series of matches with bots, no story or anything like that. Still fun. Lots of things like mods and skins to unlock.

Biggest knock against this game on release was borked multiplayer. Well, it got fixed really quickly, but some people didn't notice a difference because the community was so small that finding an MP game could be difficult. Before the price drop, you could reliably find matches on Wednesday and Sundays during developer-hosted community matches. Reportedly, finding a match has now become easier since the price drop.

For 20, i'd say buy.

So Starblood got a permanent cut to 20 bucks. Just picked it up last night. First impressions:

I can see why some people compared this to overwatch (granted, I've only played a few hours of OW during free weekends.) There are lots of ships, each of which has its own pilot. Characters are pretty lively and quirky, no standard bald space marines here. Each ship has different attributes (speed, armor, etc.) and special weapons. In addition, you can unlocks "mods", which are basically tokens that give you bonuses like 50% increased recharge speeds for specials.

Gameplay itself is like a fast-paced Descent: 360 degrees of freedom in fairly small arenas. I've only played a few single-player matches, but they're frentic, I'd say much moreso that Eve. SP "campaign" is really just a series of matches with bots, no story or anything like that. Still fun. Lots of things like mods and skins to unlock.

Biggest knock against this game on release was borked multiplayer. Well, it got fixed really quickly, but some people didn't notice a difference because the community was so small that finding an MP game could be difficult. Before the price drop, you could reliably find matches on Wednesday and Sundays during developer-hosted community matches. Reportedly, finding a match has now become easier since the price drop.

For 20, i'd say buy.
The big issue with Starblood is that, different from RIGS, the single player content is terrible.

So most earlier adopters bought it, couldn't find a match because it's a platform without enough player base, and the single player content is terrible. Everyone moved on.

It's a shame, the game is good, but the developers did a huge mistake focusing multiplayer. A lot of people saw that coming because of Rigs, Eagle flight, Werewolf within, etc.

Even games on other VR platforms, like The Unspoken for Oculus. There are not enough players to keep a multiplayer game alive. It's a struggle to find matches, always the same players.

VR devs thinking about multiplayer should think on something like Resident Evil 7: how to make it work for VR and non-VR, so could make profit on both formats.

The question in this case is how to make it fair to play on both systems...

theyturkerjurbs

Neo Member
What brightness settings do people generally prefer? New VR owner here, absolutely loving it 😆

Any of the horror games other than resi any good? Also whats the best space-set game? X-wing has left me wanting more. Was pretty gutted to find out adrift doesn't have support 😔

MattAces

What brightness settings do people generally prefer? New VR owner here, absolutely loving it 😆

Any of the horror games other than resi any good? Also whats the best space-set game? X-wing has left me wanting more. Was pretty gutted to find out adrift doesn't have support 😔

Brightest.
Rush of Blood Until Dawn. Upcoming The Inpatient, The Persistence.
Try the free COD Jackal Assault. EVE Valkyrie is awesome too.

MattAces

Short new gameplay of Dino Frontier
https://twitter.com/Ekanaut/status/878739280113188864

DEO0WNcVwAAxRDl.jpg

DCNmZ6pV0AAgPpi.jpg

Grinchy

Banned
I finally got around to trying the full version of Rez. I wasn't big on the demo, but for whatever reason, I'm really liking the full game. Playing Rez, Thumper, and Race the Sun back-to-back also does wonders for your eyes.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
My gut feeling says Megaton Rainfall, The Modern Zombie Taxi Co (the devs has went on to do other VR titles), Shin Futuridium and CRANGA! Harbor Frenzy (PSVR version) are already dead.

bumpkin

I saw that Starblood Arena's price dropped to $19.99. What's the consensus on it?

Also, is there any life left in its online community?

I also saw the same drop happened for Job Simulator, definitely picking that up!

Joystick

I haven't seen this one mentioned yet.

Ghost Theory - A serious take on paranormal research

Investigate real haunted places in a first-person adventure horror game.

We are tailoring the entire game's design and user interface with VR in mind.

They list PlayStation VR, Rift and Vive with support for other headsets depending on their specs and release date.

Originally designed for traditional 2D gameplay they recently announced that the game is now fully playable in VR.

It's Kickstarter funded and it looks like they're raising funds as they go but so far so good.

https://youtu.be/FSoK5NgTm5o
http://en.dreadlocks.cz/games/ghost-theory/
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dreadlocks/ghost-theory-a-serious-take-on-paranormal-research/

Joystick

ChouGoku

My gut feeling says Megaton Rainfall, The Modern Zombie Taxi Co (the devs has went on to do other VR titles), Shin Futuridium and CRANGA! Harbor Frenzy (PSVR version) are already dead.
I given up hope on Megaton Rainfall, sad because it was my most hyped VR game.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Is Catlateral Damage worth it for $3? I've got $8 burning a hole in my PSVR wallet.

No it is fucking awful. I wouldn't even waste time on it if it was free.

All it is are 5 badly modeled rooms that you walk around in and push around physics objects.

Horseticuffs

Wow, Farpoint can certainly be difficult at times! I've started the part with the
Titans or whatever. The giant walker robots networked with the drones
. Just keep dying and dying.

There can be quite a stretch between checkpoints too.

Adree

Polybius is absolutely great. Possibly the smoothest VR experience I've ever had and minimal sickness even with the entire screen filled with things exploding and moving at warp speed. It's an odd game that looks harder than it is but it might be my favorite VR game now.

Alright guys, I bought some old PS3 Eye Cameras at a thrift shop (got 4 of them for like $14) and I'm going to attempt to run my PSVR through SteamVR. Wish me luck!

My end goal is to do some VR dev projects, but I don't even know how nor could I likely get a dev kit from Sony, and I can't exactly afford a Vive atm and I want to wait for knuckles and new tracking any, so this sounded like a fun little project.

I'll report my results :p

I saw that Starblood Arena's price dropped to $19.99. What's the consensus on it?

Also, is there any life left in its online community?

I also saw the same drop happened for Job Simulator, definitely picking that up!

Starblood is the only game i regret buying.

Online is dead and the botmatches are just not fun :/ the game is also pretty confusing and rough to play i felt like. Eve Online did it better.

Medusa And Man from Ship Of Eyln. It's a 2 character adventure game, seemingly playable as local asynchronous co-op or as in single player dual control (see through the eyes of Medusa, while controlling Man in 3rd person with right stick.)

https://youtu.be/uT74M6mbVnE

This is my type of game has potential :)

Sangetsu, looks like Dead Secret is missing from the first page. It was mentioned previously. Please add and thanks for your hard work.

http://robotinvader.com/deadsecret/

Will do when I can.

Top Bottom