• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black Version 2/White Version 2 |OT| Zero Shades of Grey

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Serperior; Excelling at status effects with.. uh.. hrmm.. oh yeah, TOXIC. :/

Leech Seed is basically a status and a very good one at that.

But yeah, no powders, not even grasswhistle. His hidden ability is awesome and you can do some fun things with coil and his movepool is greatly improved by the B2 move tutors.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Leech Seed is basically a status and a very good one at that.

But yeah, no powders, not even grasswhistle. His hidden ability is awesome and you can do some fun things with coil and his movepool is greatly improved by the B2 move tutors.

Leech Seed is not technically a status, so I didn't list it. It doesn't help that Whimsicott outclasses it as a seeder with Prankster, and so many other Grassers can sleep Pokemon on the switch while they're spamming Leech Seed. Serperiorreally wants to be a Grass / Dragon, which can be seen by its movepool being filled with stuff like Dragon Tail, Outrage, Twister and Dragon Pulse.

Regardless, it's a terrible Pokemon in competitive play, in VGC, or crappy Smogon singles. Running HP anything on it is almost useless without Contrary because its base Special Attack is so terrible, and you don't want to sacrifice its good defence and speed to fix that, or you might as well be using something else. For instance, running a SpAtk+ nature with max EVs in SpAtk will OHKO 252 HP Scizor less than half the time, and by that point, you're giving up way too much and being outpaced, or vulnerable on defence.

Move Tutors gave it almost nothing, with Giga Drain being the only move on note. Aqua Tail isn't going to help with coverage much, with the limited amount of competitive Fire Pokemon, and so many Fire moves carried by non-Fire types. Speaking of 'attacking Serperior', Coil is a cool move, but you're either spreading your defensive EVs thin trying to make up for the low attack in a single boost.. or you're going to take multiple turns trying to set it up, which requires your opponent to be very poor; Pure Grass is not the best defensive typing.

If Contrary every gets released, it'll have a nice niche finally and can just stock up on its defence instead of actually trying to attack. Pure Grass is still a crap offensive type, with Steel and Dragons running the show and if you ever see a Serperior in competitive play when Contrary is released, you'll know exactly what set it's running.

Question. I kinda really dislike the final evolutionary form of the water starter in this game. How wrong of me would it be to keep him in his 2nd evolutionary form?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Hah, people think Flareon exists. *tee hee hee*

Kinda wish your trainer data would carry over BW2. Oh well.

Question. I kinda really dislike the final evolutionary form of the water starter in this game. How wrong of me would it be to keep him in his 2nd evolutionary form?
Give him evertsone...

...wait, y u hate samurott?

Give him evertsone...

...wait, y u hate samurott?

I know I can. Just wondering how detrimental that would be gameplay wise (in game).
And I just don't like the design. I think it takes off in such a random direction. Nothing bad about it, just not a fan myself.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

It's.. sort of usable. Especially if someone were to give you an Eviolite stone (50% boost to defenses for not fully evolved Pokemon). You're still giving up quite a bit of power (75 base attack, 83 base SpAtk still not 'bad'), but you could still keep him around for HM usage and the occasional water-weak Pokemon.

backlot

I know I can. Just wondering how detrimental that would be gameplay wise (in game).
And I just don't like the design. I think it takes off in such a random direction. Nothing bad about it, just not a fan myself.

Well the evolution has better stats so it would be detrimental in that you'd be making the game a bit harder for yourself.

Firestorm

I was at the Elite Four by the time I evolved Charmander in my final Red run. You could do it if you want a challenge.

Alright cool. Thanks for the answers everyone.
I just like the whole idea behind starters, but, the final evolutions in this game just don't appeal to me. So it's a shame I might not use a starter at all.

I put these in the community thread after someone asked, so I'll go ahead and put them here too for anyone interested.

nft12.png

LHmZo.png

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Alright cool. Thanks for the answers everyone.
I just like the whole idea behind starters, but, the final evolutions in this game just don't appeal to me. So it's a shame I might not use a starter at all.

At the very least, Samurott is a really good HM-carrier compared to the other two starters. Cut, Surf, Strength, Waterfall, Dive. Plus it learns Rock Smash and False Swipe.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Leech Seed is not technically a status, so I didn't list it. It doesn't help that Whimsicott outclasses it as a seeder with Prankster, and so many other Grassers can sleep Pokemon on the switch while they're spamming Leech Seed. Serperiorreally wants to be a Grass / Dragon, which can be seen by its movepool being filled with stuff like Dragon Tail, Outrage, Twister and Dragon Pulse.

Regardless, it's a terrible Pokemon in competitive play, in VGC, or crappy Smogon singles. Running HP anything on it is almost useless without Contrary because its base Special Attack is so terrible, and you don't want to sacrifice its good defence and speed to fix that, or you might as well be using something else. For instance, running a SpAtk+ nature with max EVs in SpAtk will OHKO 252 HP Scizor less than half the time, and by that point, you're giving up way too much and being outpaced, or vulnerable on defence.

Move Tutors gave it almost nothing, with Giga Drain being the only move on note. Aqua Tail isn't going to help with coverage much, with the limited amount of competitive Fire Pokemon, and so many Fire moves carried by non-Fire types. Speaking of 'attacking Serperior', Coil is a cool move, but you're either spreading your defensive EVs thin trying to make up for the low attack in a single boost.. or you're going to take multiple turns trying to set it up, which requires your opponent to be very poor; Pure Grass is not the best defensive typing.

If Contrary every gets released, it'll have a nice niche finally and can just stock up on its defence instead of actually trying to attack. Pure Grass is still a crap offensive type, with Steel and Dragons running the show and if you ever see a Serperior in competitive play when Contrary is released, you'll know exactly what set it's running.

While I don't it'll see any serious competitive play without adding something crazy to its moveset it's hard to claim that the B2/W2 move tutors did nothing for it. I don't call Aqua Tail/Outrage/Dragon Pulse nothing when they are pretty good coverage moves in general.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
While I don't it'll see any serious competitive play without adding something crazy to its moveset it's hard to claim that the B2/W2 move tutors did nothing for it. I don't call Aqua Tail/Outrage/Dragon Pulse nothing when they are pretty good coverage moves in general.

Well, if you're actually using Outrage for a surprise KO on a Dragon, you're investing EVs into attack which does you next to no favours, and if the opponent out predicts you, you're stuck in a non-STAB attack that is Super Effective against one type, and randomly chooses an opponent. Dragon Pulse is likewise, poor for coverage and usable only because other options are so poor. Aqua Tail, probably the best option because it hits Fire types, hits no other type harder than your Grass STAB.

If they really wanted to make it a viable Pokemon they would release Contrary and give it Skill Swap.

:/

Or make it Dragon type. If it had STAB on all those Dragon moves, it would be a pretty awesome Pokemon. And of course, Contrary could use Draco Meteor and Leaf Storm then. Oh to dream.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Well, if you're actually using Outrage for a surprise KO on a Dragon, you're investing EVs into attack which does you next to no favours, and if the opponent out predicts you, you're stuck in a non-STAB attack that is Super Effective against one type, and randomly chooses an opponent. Dragon Pulse is likewise, poor for coverage and usable only because other options are so poor. Aqua Tail, probably the best option because it hits Fire types, hits no other type harder than your Grass STAB.

:/

It has first gen blues when it comes to moves, no question, these moves are better than the nothing it had in B/W. In game it's like hey, use Leech Seed and Giga Drain and whatever your best neutral move of either stat. If that doesn't work, switch out.

I think it has good stats to become a ridiculous Nasty Plotter if they gave it that, but even then it'd be grass type and would still need a better coverage move.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
It has first gen blues when it comes to moves, no question, these moves are better than the nothing it had in B/W. In game it's like hey, use Leech Seed and Giga Drain and whatever your best neutral move of either stat. If that doesn't work, switch out.

I think it has good stats to become a ridiculous Nasty Plotter if they gave it that, but even then it'd be grass type and would still need a better coverage move.

Contrary is definitely its best bet with an incredibly bulky set. Everything else it does is outclassed by something else.

I still believe they intended to make it Grass / Dragon, but chickened out in the end. Dragon starter would have been amazing.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Contrary is definitely its best bet with an incredibly bulky set. Everything else it does is outclassed by something else.

I still believe they intended to make it Grass / Dragon, but chickened out in the end. Dragon starter would have been amazing.

I always thought so too but with those stats and moves it still wouldn't have been great. Quad weak to ice would have been annoying.

quabba

I'm more interested in its usefulness in game specifically as part of a grass team for the challenge/badge things

Vaati

Banned
I loved Black and am pretty psyched for this game.

I started with Snivy in Black but I think I may choose Tepig this time around and go with a whole different party. In Black I rolled with Serperior, Gigalith, Crustle, Vanilluxe, and Sawk. I wonder what team I'll end up with in Black 2.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I always thought so too but with those stats and moves it still wouldn't have been great. Quad weak to ice would have been annoying.

But that's what they would need to counter such an awesome power as Contrary Draco Meteor / Leaf Storm blazing fast Pokemon of destruction.

I really want a Grass / Dragon next generation, although a Bug / Dragon
Should be Flygon with Speed Boost and Tinted Lens
would be awesome too.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
But that's what they would need to counter such an awesome power as Contrary Draco Meteor / Leaf Storm blazing fast Pokemon of destruction.

I really want a Grass / Dragon next generation, although a Bug / Dragon
Should be Flygon with Speed Boost and Tinted Lens
would be awesome too.

Ground Dragon is nice but yes, Flygon should have been Bug Dragon just like Volbeat/Illuminse should have been Electric/Bug and Masquerain should have remained water/bug.

Tenck

Wondering if I should sell my Black cartridge. Anything useful to come out of owning both? I could trade, but you always want to start fresh.

Wondering if I should sell my Black cartridge. Anything useful to come out of owning both? I could trade, but you always want to start fresh.

There is the Memory Link stuff.

Part of the Unova Link feature, Memory Link allows you to integrate your experiences from Black/White into your new game. Unlock new plot details, extra battles, extra Pokémon, and other features as you venture through the Unova you once knew. This feature requires Pokémon Black Version/White Version, and can be done with either a second DS/3DS, or over Wi-Fi through your existing Pokémon Global Link account via Game Sync.

Bladenic

Yeah, Serperior always felt like it should have been part Dragon to me. Strange. What new moves does it get from Tutors in B/W2?

Top Bottom