• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black Version 2/White Version 2 |OT| Zero Shades of Grey

Azure J

I have a feeling that I'm going to be just as mindblown as Andrex is because I totally missed the hype period for this one outside of the OST exposure on YouTube.

Someone hook my avatar up with a Blue 2 please. Black & White are the most fun I've had with Pokemon in a loooong time and although they got put on the backburner for a bit, I'm all in for round 2.

7Ddfm.png
B01fP.png

This jumped out to me

I hope she means in terms of sales. Because if not, lol.

Other than that, cool review!

I doubt she means in terms of sales, so lol indeed. DP are my least favourite. Haven't tried Platinum though.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I never got a straight answer on this yet, but at what point in the game can you trade Pokemon from Black and White? Near the beginning? Or around the post-game?

I always trade-in my game team right at the beginning bar the starter.

Still haven't decided who I'll use besides Oshawott.

EDIT: I know I'll buy this and have a blast but, to be honest, I was far more excited for Emerald and Platinum than this...maybe it's my age?

Acrylic7

So in terms of older Pokemon from previous gens, are there only some of them, or are we getting complete sets?

Kokonoe

Banned
I never got a straight answer on this yet, but at what point in the game can you trade Pokemon from Black and White? Near the beginning? Or around the post-game?

EDIT: I know I'll buy this and have a blast but, to be honest, I was far more excited for Emerald and Platinum than this...maybe it's my age?

Well to be honest, this is essentially Super Gray, but it could also be franchise fatigue.

I personally am rather tired of the DS Pokemon games artstyle myself. I'm hoping for Gen VI they truly try to take Pokemon to the next level already.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

You can trade as soon as you get the c-gear, which you get after beating the first gym. Exactly how it worked in B1/W1.

So in terms of older Pokemon from previous gens, are there only some of them, or are we getting complete sets?

The complete Unova Dex (meaning all pokemon available in B2/W2) has a little under half of all available pokemon in it. You'll need to trade to get the rest. B2/W2 with a copy of HG or SS would get you almost every single pokemon though.

ffdgh

This is what you get for your no spoilers nonsense in the community thread, most of us have known about this for months.

Everstone passes nature 100% of the time now. In non diito breed if the female is put in the first slot her ability is passed 80 percent of the time, if she is in the second her second ability will be passed 80% of the time.

its fun knowing things a week after the jp game comes out.

Have you heard about the join avenue nonsense? I know you were spoiler adverse but that stuff (if properly set up and funded with E4 monies) is amazing.

You can EV a pokemon in seconds and hatch snorlax eggs in a few hundred steps.

Read up on it here: http://www.serebii.net/black2white2/joinavenue.shtml

three times more likely for wild pokemon and normal egg hatching, six times more likely when combined with the Masuda Method, which brings it alll the way down to 1/1024!

Completing the Unova dex does make the daycare man spit out eggs TWICE as fast.
Hooooly shit!

How do you
EV train a pokemon in seconds? Is it some new item?

Anyway, I have always wanted to complete the pokedex at least ONCE in my life. This seems like the perfect excuse to do it. Too bad I don't have a goddam Deoxys though :mad:

EDIT: Also in regards to Join Avenue... can you fill up the street purely via WiFi? I'm not sure how many of my IRL friends will be getting this, so I don't want to miss out on stuff. Hopefully you don't have to do a combination of wireless and WiFi to unlock everything

Alchemy

This is what you get for your no spoilers nonsense in the community thread, most of us have known about this for months.

Everstone passes nature 100% of the time now. In non diito breed if the female is put in the first slot her ability is passed 80 percent of the time, if she is in the second her second ability will be passed 80% of the time.

Next you're going to tell me there is a way around the completely bullshit IV system...

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Hooooly shit!

How do you

Anyway, I have always wanted to complete the pokedex at least ONCE in my life. This seems like the perfect excuse to do it. Too bad I don't have a goddam Deoxys though :mad:

Lots of people can trade you cloned Pokemon, or just someone people like me that have craploads of extra / useless event Pokemon. Either to keep, or just to activate in your Pokedex. If you get close to completing it and you're still missing some, just post on here and people can help you fill it out.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Hooooly shit!

How do you

The jist of Join Avenue is this. People show up at your avenue and want to open shops or go shopping. These shops offer incredible things like EV reduction/training, level training, happiness up, rare items, faster egg hatching. Some people want to shop though and want you to direct them to the right shop. By opening up these shops and sending people to the places you want to go, it levels up the shops.

The page I linked to on Serebii is pretty detailed in how it works and it doesn't seem that hard to do.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Next you're going to tell me there is a way around the completely bullshit IV system...

Well, if you get someone to trade you a perfect IV'd ditto the gen iv mechanics can get you perfectly servicable IV'd pokemon using the power items in maybe an hour of breeding. Maybe less time with all these other improvements.

The only thing it really can't help you with is Hidden Power. That still takes forever.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I might trade over my Keldeo from the Gamestop give away and use it in BW2. Probably going with Tepig for the first time in a playthrough.. so since I have two Fighting type Pokemon already in the case, I might go for Fighting-only team. A lot of good ones to choose from at least.

Well, if you get someone to trade you a perfect IV'd ditto the gen iv mechanics can get you perfectly servicable IV'd pokemon using the power items in maybe an hour of breeding. Maybe less time with all these other improvements.

The only thing it really can't help you with is Hidden Power. That still takes forever.

Indeed. I have multiple perfect IV Dittos and it's usually an easy task to breed. Passing down DW natures, or moves can be more difficult.. but thankfully my perfect Smeargle helps there too.

Alchemy

Well, one step at a time I guess. Maybe the 3DS games will kill off the IV system and either murder hidden power or allow it to be much easier to set. EV training I can handle, but IV breeding I cannot.

ffdgh

Hmm if hidden power was always had 70 base power instad of varing power depending on ivs it would be somewhat better.

Alchemy

Hmm if hidden power was always had 70 base power instad of varing power depending on ivs it would be somewhat better.

And they could just flavor it with in game tutors (masters of the elements, w/e) and let you specifically train a type of Hidden Power. Go to the fire dude, get hidden power fire. Done and done.

Or just kill the move off completely and be done with it. It depends on Game Freaks intentions. I'm honestly not sure if GF intended HP to have such a big part of the competitive metagame or not based on how much of a bitch it is to obtain.

Kokonoe

Banned
I doubt Gamefreak actively tries to balance the battling itself besides from minor tweaks and Gen III changes. Ice Pokemon are a clear sign of this.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I doubt Gamefreak actively tries to balance the battling itself besides from minor tweaks and Gen III changes. Ice Pokemon are a clear sign of this.

They do actually, but they focus on doubles and VGC format. So many things added in BW2 are just for the competitive crowd. And you can see that through a lot of the new moves they've added the last two generations; Many only being viable in Doubles.

I never understood why they don't make the games focus on doubles, when their competitive tournaments are doubles. I would love at least the option to play doubles in every battle in-game.

I'd prefer a bit of type-chart re-balancing too though..

Alchemy

I'm sure they have some general idea what they want battling to feel like, they are constantly adding/changing mechanics from game to game to improve things. Changes in how EV training, IV breeding, and even the physical/special split support this. I'm just not sure what Game Freak wants to do with their game lines up with the competitive battling community.

And I think the Ice pokemon issue is more of a Stealth Rocks problem.

Kokonoe

Banned
They do actually, but they focus on doubles and VGC format. So many things added in BW2 are just for the competitive crowd. And you can see that through a lot of the new moves they've added the last two generations; Many only being viable in Doubles.

I never understood why they don't make the games focus on doubles, when their competitive tournaments are doubles. I would love at least the option to play doubles in every battle in-game.

I'd prefer a bit of type-chart re-balancing too though..

I still don't think it's one of the major things they focus on when working on these games. I think Pokemon is an easily accessible game about pitting monsters you tame with pokeballs against random npcs first and a competitive one second to them. I guess I'm saying this because I think they should have gotten down a lot of the common issues already. I mean it's Gen V, and we're just now seeing stuff to help with
EVs on a grander scale.

I'm sure they have some general idea what they want battling to feel like, they are constantly adding/changing mechanics from game to game to improve things. Changes in how EV training, IV breeding, and even the physical/special split support this. I'm just not sure what Game Freak wants to do with their game lines up with the competitive battling community.

And I think the Ice pokemon issue is more of a Stealth Rocks problem.

Ice Pokemon only having Ice as a resistance with three common weaknesses and a limited movepool is the other. Water Pokemon can use Ice moves which also adds insult to injury.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I still don't think it's one of the major things they focus on when working on these games. I think Pokemon is an easily accessible game about pitting monsters you tame with pokeballs against random npcs first and a competitive one second to them. I guess I'm saying this because I think they should have gotten down a lot of the common issues already. I mean it's Gen V, and we're just now seeing stuff to help with
EVs on a grander scale.

We've had Vitamins, Macho Brace, Pokerus boost, then Power Items, and now Join Avenue. They clearly focus on it, they just haven't made it as easy as you'd like.

Pokemon is casual if you want it to be. If you want it to be easy and accessible it can be. But if you want to play competitively in the tournaments they hold online, or VGC.. or even just compete in Battle Subway, you know what tools you have available.. even if they're sometimes limited. We're not going to get to the point of being able to read IVs of freshly hatched Pokemon in game. That's just the way it is, but it doesn't mean they're not thinking about competitive play.

Alchemy

Ice Pokemon only have Ice as a resistance with three common weaknesses and a limited movepool is the other. Water Pokemon can use Ice moves which also adds insult to injury.

Ice isn't a great defensive type but that doesn't make Ice Pokemon useless. Weavile, Abomasnow, Froslass, Walrein, Cloyster, Mamoswine,Regice, and Kyurem are all very useful Pokemon. What neuters them greatly is the weakness to Stealth Rocks.

MicH

I have to remember to get Keldeo from GameStop in the coming days (available until the 11th here in Denmark). One of the last event Pokemon I need. Celebi is still one of the few I've never had an opportunity to get, though :(

ffdgh

Ice isn't a great defensive type but that doesn't make Ice Pokemon useless. Weavile, Abomasnow, Froslass, Walrein, Cloyster, Mamoswine,Regice, and Kyurem are all very useful Pokemon. What neuters them greatly is the weakness to Stealth Rocks.

7 out of 8 of those pokemon you named have a secondary type.

Kokonoe

Banned
We've had Vitamins, Macho Brace, Pokerus boost, then Power Items, and now Join Avenue. They clearly focus on it, they just haven't made it as easy as you'd like.

Getting Pokerus is like finding a shiny, Vitamins were there since the beginning and limit the potential of your Pokemon, and those other items only multiply the time it takes by a small amount. It helps, but with all the Pokemon out there and having to have a few teams to throw down, that is a TON of time. Yeah, that isn't precisely the time frame I'm looking for personally just to not get obliterated in a match. I'm glad they are doing something now with the second Gen V game, but those methods before still is nothing but a time consuming grind fest even for just one Pokemon.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

It makes them mostly bad and a liability though. I'll bite on your Regice example.

Its typing is in stark contrast to its stats. Ice is a terrible defensive typing in crappy Smogon singles, or VGC. It's weak to Rock Slide and Heat Wave, common spread moves, and does it no favours being weak to one of the most common attacking moves in Fighting. It tries to be a wall, but it's tough to be a wall without any resist. Normal Pokemon sometimes manage this feet, but it's because they have one sole weaknesses. Ice is like Normal's ugly cousin. There are way too many Ice Pokemon that want to be bulky walls, but can't because of their typing. The only chance an Ice type has is to hit hard before it dies to one of its many weaknesses.

Like Fire Pokemon, it doesn't help that Ice moves are pretty wide spread and because you're carrying them for a lot of 4x weak Pokemon, you don't need the STAB to make it impactful and you're saving yourself the the pain of trying to cover up its defensive weaknesses.

On the other hand, if Ice actually had a couple real resist.. like Dragon.. and maybe Grass, it would transform the type and all the Pokemon metagames. Suddenly Dragons would have a second check (albeit, with the same weaknesses for the most part) and it would be interesting to see the game re-balance itself.

Getting Pokerus is like finding a shiny, Vitamins were there since the beginning and limit the potential of your Pokemon, and those other items only multiply the time it takes by a small amount. It helps, but with all the Pokemon out there and having to have a few teams to throw down, that is a TON of time. Yeah, that isn't precisely the time frame I'm looking for personally just to not get obliterated in a match. I'm glad they are doing something now with the second Gen V game, but those methods before still is nothing but a time consuming grind fest even for just one Pokemon.

Just play on simulators if you want to save time. You can have a near flawless fully trained Pokemon in BW1 in well under an hour. If that's too much of a commitment because you just want to input numbers and have your Pokemon, there are simulators for that.

Kokonoe

Banned

Walrein? That has always been low tier. Cloyster is saved thanks to it's main type being water(and other things like it's buff), Kyurem is an uber while being mainly Dragon(the best type), Weavile isn't useless, but it also isn't great either. Mamoswine is good, and Regice hasn't been too good since Gen III.

Alchemy

Walrein? That has always been low tier. Cloyster is saved thanks to it's main type being water(and other things like it's buff), Kyurem is an uber while being mainly Dragon(the best type), Weavile isn't useless, but it also isn't great either. Mamoswine is good, and Regice hasn't been too good since Gen III.

Walrein on a hail team is a massive pain in the ass to deal with. I've used him with great success, but it requires immense toe tapping around Stealth Rocks.

Cloyster's main type is ICE, STAB Icicle Spear and Shell Smash (and Ice Shard to a lesser extent) are what make him effective. Shell Smash Razor Shell is nothing to be impressed by, even in rain.

Kyurem was moved to uber? What killed Kyurem I felt was his subpar speed, not his Ice type. Having access to Draco Meteor doesn't mean his Blizzards are any less dangerous.

Regice makes an effective special wall, but is again neutered by Stealth Rocks. It doesn't help that he doesn't have access to a reliable recovery move outside of Rest/Sleep Talk, but it can get the job done.

Really you can pick apart any Pokemon and find deficiencies with their types, thats the entire point of the type chart.

Top Bottom