• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black Version 2/White Version 2 |OT| Zero Shades of Grey

Kokonoe

Banned
I was wrong about Kyurem being Uber, but Cloyster is indeed mainly water type. Almost any Pokemon can KO another, the game is designed around it, I'm talking how effective they are compared to their competition.

Just play on simulators if you want to save time. You can have a near flawless fully trained Pokemon in BW1 in well under an hour. If that's too much of a commitment because you just want to input numbers and have your Pokemon, there are simulators for that.

I already have two separate teams with correct IVs and EVs, I'm not put off by this entirely, but there is really no logic to be found from doing random number generators over and over. There is no skill involved, and the only purpose is to waste your time. I'd like to cut that part out(kinda like how Black and White brought back faster battling), and have something more accessible to more people. More competition is better, not worse.

A Pokemon suitable for battles against another EVs/IVs in an hour?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Even then surf would still be a better choice.......I guess.

Not in most cases in doubles.. unless you're abusing something with Dry Skin / Water Absorb. The base power of Hydro Pump is so far above Surf being at 75% power, and with Cloyster it's kill, or be killed. You generally want Hydro Pump over Shell Razor, even with little to no SpAtk investment because the Pokemon you'll be trying to hit with it (notably Steel Pokemon who resist Ice and Rock), will like Hydro Pump a lot less.

edit: It's still mostly uncommon to run a water type attack on Cloyster, because Protect is so valuable with priority spelling doom for him after Shell Smash.

A Pokemon suitable for battles against another EVs/IVs in an hour?

Yes, totally what I said. An entire team in an hour.

All games can be considered grinding and time wasting if you want to view them that way. It'd be like asking a loot game to just drop the items you want try at the beginning so you can avoid playing it at all. Raising a Pokemon team is a small time commitment and the random in RNG is so very limited now with forcing natures, abilities and IVs to be passed down. It feels like you're just complaining about nothing and want to be able to inject numbers into Pokemon at will.

Kokonoe

Banned
Yes, totally what I said. An entire team in an hour.

All games can be considered grinding and time wasting if you want to view them that way. It'd be like asking a loot game to just drop the items you want try at the beginning so you can avoid playing it at all. Raising a Pokemon team is a small time commitment and the random in RNG is so very limited now with forcing natures, abilities and IVs to be passed down. It feels like you're just complaining about nothing and want to be able to inject numbers into Pokemon at will.

I'm not viewing everything like that, I'm specifically talking about the part that lets you interact with others in a competitive environment. These things were initially put in the game so that Pokemon could be more unique, but they came with a price at the same time. It is required to do this to mainly win because you'll be outclassed. You might understand my viewpoint more if you compare it to fighting games or other competitive games. Each game you get better from playing it more and learning through actual experience, but what's nice about fighting games is that you can play the game against other people without grinding numbers, instead you grind your own experience. Pokemon has both of these things, and that's why I'd like it more streamlined.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I'm not viewing everything like that, I'm specifically talking about the part that lets you interact with others in a competitive environment. These things were initially put in the game so that Pokemon could be more unique, but they came with a price at the same time. It is required to do this to mainly win because you'll be outclassed. You might understand my viewpoint more of you compare it to fighting games or other competitive games. Each game you get better from playing it more and learning through actual experience, but what's nice about fighting games is that you can play the game against other people without grinding numbers, instead you grind your own experience. Pokemon has both of these things, and that's why I'd like it more streamlined.

http://pokemonshowdown.com/

That's basically what you're asking for, a simulator. Given the small time it takes to make a team of flawless IV'ed Pokemon and train them these days, I don't mind someone having to commit even ten hours of team construction time to play in and win a tournament. It's not a hindrance, and it still gives casual players the impression of uniqueness in their Pokemon. I don't see how they streamline it anymore other than to just let you input the values yourself, in which case, you're playing a simulator. I enjoy actually having to work a bit for my team because I know other people I'm competing against have made the same commitment.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Also, it looks like Shadow Tag
Gothorita
is being released. It'll have a code included in the "Pokemon Black Version 2 & Pokemon White Version 2 The Official National Pokedex & Guide Volume 2: The Official Pokemon Strategy Guide" released in November. Serebii speculates it's a one time use code, but you can bet people will be breeding down females of it when it's out.

Kokonoe

Banned
I've already commented that they improved EVs, but the conversation went into another subject. It's more of the IVs that are the issue, but I'll leave the conversation at this.

When I play video games, I'm not playing to "work", I play for entertainment, and my view on what I consider enjoyable is different. I don't think they should make things like pokemononline exactly, just more accessible like they're doing with the EVs now. I've grinded a Pokemon to level 100 more times than I can remember, and it's getting old for me. We'll have to agree to disagree because our views are quite different.

I'm also looking for something in the actual versions, I am aware of simulators.

SlickVic

Any deals in the US for this? I was hoping Amazon would give a $10 credit like they did with Black/White, but doesn't look like it.

JazzmanZ

Is Hard mode hard at all?

You better believe it.

The AI in hard mode is as good as the Battle factory/tower/whatever AI, trainers and gym leaders will have new items, pokemon, movesets and will actively try and murder your team.

Easy mode everyone is retarded and spams splash.

I've already commented that they improved EVs, but the conversation went into another subject. It's more of the IVs that are the issue, but I'll leave the conversation at this.
I'll post what I post in every conversation about this subject. Aside from the Speed IV, you don't have to bust your ass to get a perfect IV in every stat. You can settle for something decent but imperfect in every other stat and you can still compete with others with flawless IVs. With the new breeding additions every gen, it shouldn't take that long to get something usable.

If you're super competitive at heart and you HAVE to win every battle you possibly can (to the point where you're relying on exact damage calculations), then put in the time/effort like every other competitive game.

Frost_Ace

You better believe it.

The AI in hard mode is as good as the Battle factory/tower/whatever AI, trainers and gym leaders will have new items, pokemon, movesets and will actively try and murder your team.

Easy mode everyone is retarded and spams splash.

So they do not switch out? :(

Just play on simulators if you want to save time. You can have a near flawless fully trained Pokemon in BW1 in well under an hour. If that's too much of a commitment because you just want to input numbers and have your Pokemon, there are simulators for that.

Being rewarded with more control and transparency as you fulfill sidequest/post-game requirements is the right approach to this, there wouldn't be anything wrong with going all the way.

Salsa

WELL I BOUGHT IT. Will have it on release day supposedly

you can never run away

wish I could say im as excited for this as i'd be for a new gen but im just not

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Actually trainers have higher levels in hard mode which means more exp. This is especially important in gen v because it takes into account relative level when awarding exp.

Zeroth

Being rewarded with more control and transparency as you fulfill sidequest/post-game requirements is the right approach to this, there wouldn't be anything wrong with going all the way.

I guess the issue lies on "how much should the game be manipulable for the average user?". I think having an easy way to maximize stats kinda beats the sense of making them random to begin with. Right now you can abuse the RNG to get perfect pokemon or use breeding to get 2 perfect IVs, but that's something that only the most hardcore/well prepared players are willing to do, so it's only a small group (and ironically, the only one that cares about this) that has access to IV manipulation.

I'm not defending that IVs should be an elitist thing, but that simply making it manipulable (even more than now) to everyone is a bit silly when the only people who care (and are concerned) about it can manipulate it already with some work. Perhaps I just don't like the thought that stuff that requires effort can be simply offered to anyone who's not willing to get their hands dirty.

Zeroth

but what about the ethical implications of mass producing genes

031027.jpg

Hooray, I just grabbed my Keldeo from Gamestop!

I'm having a hard time though deciding on a nature... it's Attack stat is abysmal compared to its other stats, yet it mainly learns physical moves, so I'm wondering if I shouldn't go with a nature that reduces Attack.

And I cannot find ANY information on its Resolute form. Does that change any stats at all, or is it solely for appearances?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Its worse than cock fighting considering most pokemon show signs of or definitely are sentient thinking and caring beings.

It's colosseum fighting without fatalities.

backlot

Also, it looks like Shadow Tag
Gothorita
is being released. It'll have a code included in the "Pokemon Black Version 2 & Pokemon White Version 2 The Official National Pokedex & Guide Volume 2: The Official Pokemon Strategy Guide" released in November. Serebii speculates it's a one time use code, but you can bet people will be breeding down females of it when it's out.

Dammit, I wanted the other Shadow Tag Pokemon. Don't get my hopes up like that. :(

Hey fellas.

I own a 3DS and rarely, and I mean rarely play it so I was thinking I'll pick up Black/White 2 to see if they can help me fall back in love with the thing.

The latest pokemon game I've played(and own) is HeartGold, which is/was phenominal, but after I beat the Elite 4 I just had no desire to continue playing it so I stopped.

I was just wondering if there are any incentives to confinue playing the newer iterations, and if you could recommend me either Black or White 2 with possible reasons for each? I'm sure this has already been answered a thousand times already, and from what I've seen the consensus is black, no? Why is that?

btkadams

i wonder who my starter should be. i already played with all 3 of them in black/white. i kind of feel like using a gen 3 starter, since it has been so long since i played those games. i'll probably have a weird party this time around.

i'm a whore once again because i am buying both black 2 and white 2.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
i wonder who my starter should be. i already played with all 3 of them in black/white. i kind of feel like using a gen 3 starter, since it has been so long since i played those games. i'll probably have a weird party this time around.

i'm a whore once again because i am buying both black 2 and white 2.

Make it a random Pokemon!

It says I should use Probopass. Gulp.

I guess the issue lies on "how much should the game be manipulable for the average user?". I think having an easy way to maximize stats kinda beats the sense of making them random to begin with. Right now you can abuse the RNG to get perfect pokemon or use breeding to get 2 perfect IVs, but that's something that only the most hardcore/well prepared players are willing to do, so it's only a small group (and ironically, the only one that cares about this) that has access to IV manipulation.

I'm not defending that IVs should be an elitist thing, but that simply making it manipulable (even more than now) to everyone is a bit silly when the only people who care (and are concerned) about it can manipulate it already with some work. Perhaps I just don't like the thought that stuff that requires effort can be simply offered to anyone who's not willing to get their hands dirty.

Which is why I'm talking about making more control and (more importantly) display options available as rewards for stuff like Battle Subway (be it for long win streaks or an even greater amount of BPs than what items cost) or other requirements that you'd have to really be dedicated in the first place to fulfill anyway.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
What does that even mean?

They have more full restores?

It means all the Gym Leaders and Elite 4 will use teams of 6, at higher levels, and with Items being held. It also employs a similar AI to that of the Battle Subway. You look the Gym Leaders up on Bulbapedia and compare Normal vs Challenge mode teams.

And if you want a real challenge in Challenge Mode turn Battle Mode to Set, so you can't receive a free switch after a KO.

Firemind

That generator makes me realize how many shit pokemon there are that I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. Magcargo, Sudowoodo, Purugly, Sableye, Kricketune, Dunsparce.

Top Bottom