• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black Version 2/White Version 2 |OT| Zero Shades of Grey

A.E Suggs

So who here is actually going to battle other players down the line? Trading is nice and all but I live to take names and that's exactly what i'll do starting with gaf on down.

Qasiel

Hey there, PokeGAF. Got a quick question for you:

I went to my local Gamestation the other to get Keldeo, but for some reason I got zero signal when I went to get the Mystery Gift via wireless. Now, when I go into Black and launch C-Gear etc. it comes up that I have full wireless communication reception.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I plan on returning to get Keldeo over the next couple of days.

Do you know if its local wireless or through IR?

Serebii says it is through the IR port. Someone here who has beaten the Japanese version could say for sure though.

Serebii said:
As the features are part of the Unova Link, you have the ability to send the modes to other players game utilising the game's IR port.

http://www.serebii.net/black2white2/assistchallengemode.shtml

I went to my local Gamestation the other to get Keldeo, but for some reason I got zero signal when I went to get the Mystery Gift via wireless. Now, when I go into Black and launch C-Gear etc. it comes up that I have full wireless communication reception.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I plan on returning to get Keldeo over the next couple of days.

You need to ask someone working there if they actually have their DS turned on and broadcasting the signal.

It has to be transferred locally. Not over Wi-Fi.
What. This is damn stupid even by Game Freak standards.
Assist Mode & Challenge Mode

For years, players of the Pokémon games have wanted a difficulty setting; Pokémon Black 2 and White 2 finally make this a reality. However, it has a twist. These modes cannot be unlocked at first, but rather require game completion first. However, that does not mean the game cannot be played immediately with it..

As the features are part of the Unova Link, you have the ability to send the modes to other players game utilising the game's IR port. As such, if you have a friend that has unlocked them, they can send it to your game so that you can play with them on. Once obtained, if you restart your save file, you will lose access to them again.

They are activated within the Unova Link menu and will run on the save file until deactivated.
What the goddamn fuck?

There are a few other keys too.

gzHj2.png

http://pokemon.wikia.com/wiki/Unova_Link

Qasiel

You need to ask someone working there if they actually have their DS turned on and broadcasting the signal.

They had their 3DS on and it looked like it was on the broadcasting screen. Perhaps they didn't do it right. May try another store this week.

Cheers!

Tenck

So I have to wait for someone to finish the game then ask for the key? >_<

Gamefreak, making it tough for me to love you ;_;

Going to have to buy both version, ugh.

*no one I know finishes Pokemon, so can't rely on others*

OMG Aero

Noone ever claimed the latter
Yup.
Its funny how people don't know how to spell pokemon rumble, Ridiculous!

The C-Gear saying you have wireless reception just means your Wifi is turned on, it doesn't necessarily mean you are connected to anything.
What. This is damn stupid even by Game Freak standards.

What the goddamn fuck?
Don't worry, in typical Game Freak style this feature will be removed from the next game and we will never ever see it again!

789shadow

Banned
Gamefreak's absurd dedication to game mechanics that only work because of Japanese population density is truly something to be "admired".

Kokonoe

Banned
DS Pokemon Version games could use better graphics than they have, but Pokemon isn't really known for cutting edge graphics.

Red

DS Pokemon Version games could use better graphics than they have, but Pokemon isn't really known for cutting edge graphics.
I get the note, but most fans of the series will disagree, or not care. No one is going to say 'i play pokemon for its graphics.'

Kokonoe

Banned
I am aware of this, the games still sell millions each time regardless of the how dated some of the smudgy 3D graphics look or the stretchyscale animation used in Black and White. I don't play games strictly for the graphics, but I would prefer in this day and age the games looked better.

Gravijah

HGSS & BW are two of the best looking games on the DS, though. the backgrounds are really amazing stuff, and BW runs smoothly.

in game battling is a different matter, but i don't want them to move past the minimalist approach, as i've always enjoyed how it influences you to actually use your imagination.

Kokonoe

Banned
I don't think this looks good for sprite animation.

iIUoi.gif
OYPsb.gif
4C9aP.gif

I also don't think this is really amazing looking either.

YeUHW.png
OCBwD.jpg
UDgD1.jpg

I'm personally tired of the games looking like this, would rather have something newer and better looking.

Gravijah

but that's the style of the series! and honestly, i'd rather the sprites go back to being static.

i fear the move to full 3D is going to completely suck the simple charm out of the series. i really hope we get don't fullsized characters, and gigantic worlds.

Acrylic7

but that's the style of the series! and honestly, i'd rather the sprites go back to being static.

i fear the move to full 3D is going to completely suck the simple charm out of the series. i really hope we get don't fullsized characters, and gigantic worlds.

I just threw up.

Emitan

TRUTH BOMBS BEIN' DROPPED

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

If they made the next Pokemon game look something like Pokepark, I wouldn't die inside. BW has some nice moments visually, and a lot of really terrible moments.

Gravijah

where the hell else am i going to get a nice, simple, top down (well, 3/4ths or whatever BW is now) view JRPG if Pokemon moves away from it? there would be no other alternatives. they would be dead!

Black and White look really, really lovely... except when Game Freak go too ambitious with the 3D for their own good. Castelia looks jagged and messy, for example, but it's also without question Pokemon's most ambitious locale.

So yeah, considering that the 3D is the worst part of the visual style, it baffles me that people want that to be the whole game.

This is for mainline, handheld games, obviously. I'd be overjoyed if we got a Wii U RPG with Xenoblade scale. But we won't, and there's no use complaining about it.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Black and White look really, really lovely... except when Game Freak go too ambitious with the 3D for their own good. Castelia looks jagged and messy, for example, but it's also without question Pokemon's most ambitious locale.

So yeah, considering that the 3D is the worst part of the visual style, it baffles me that people want that to be the whole game.

This is for mainline, handheld games, obviously. I'd be overjoyed if we got a Wii U RPG with Xenoblade scale. But we won't, and there's no use complaining about it.

They need to go one way, or the other. Do some really love sprite work and make the entire game sprite based with it, or go the 3D route and up the quality to something like PokePark that looks really good overall. The mix of less than amazing sprites in the world and reeeaaally ugly 3D doesn't work.

Kokonoe

Banned

Gamefreak only works on Pokemon, so I doubt that will happen. I don't really see what's wrong with the characters not being chibi, or the world being 3D as it opens up so much more to what Pokemon can be. They don't have to tear down everything, just implement it in a 3D space.

Although I'm more of talking about how limited the graphics look even now. EvilMario is right, either stick with full 2D or go full 3D. Scaling the sprites to fit the 3D looks awful.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Surprised it's getting worse reviews by some outlets than Black and White did.

I guess it's Game Freak's fault for positioning this as a sequel and an all-new game, which it kind of is, but it's still at the part of the generation where "refined" titles like Crystal, Emerald, Platinum normally come out. Compared to those, I think Black 2 and White 2 are pretty big improvements on the original titles in the generation.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Oshawott, Cryogonal, Druddigon, Sawk, Heatmor, and Sigilyph is going to be my team.

Apart from Oshawott, wanted to try a run using no-evolution Pokemon.

I am very curious how the first mainline entry in the series on 3DS will look.

The series needs to go to full 3D so we can get customizable player characters.

Top Bottom