• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black Version 2/White Version 2 |OT| Zero Shades of Grey

Sandfox

Wow, that's really disappointing. How lazy is that? :/

Guess I'll be skipping this one. Shame cause I really liked Black.

Its not lazy just because it has the same starters. You should look around and see if the other changes are worth a purchase to you rather than going by the starters.

Vire

Never seen a third version before?

Yeah but it's not being labeled as Pokemon Gray, it's a sequel. If it was, that would be more understandable.

How hard would it have been to make 3 (9 forms) different Pokemon. It just reeks of laziness and doesn't bode well for the rest of the quality of the game. If they are willing to cut corners there, it wouldn't be difficult to assume they repurposed lot's of other assets.

The starting Pokemon has always been one of my favorite things about a new Pokemon game. They just feel really special.

I already did Tepig... and my brother traded me the other two.

Just disappointing that's all.

Yeah but it's not being labeled as Pokemon Gray, it's a sequel. If it was, that would be more understandable.

How hard would it have been to make 3 (9 forms) different Pokemon. It just reeks of laziness and doesn't bode well for the rest of the quality of the game. If they are willing to cut corners there, it wouldn't be difficult to assume they repurposed lot's of other assets.

The starting Pokemon has always been one of my favorite things about a new Pokemon game. They just feel really special.

It is a generation 5 game, creating new Pokemon would ruin the compatibility with the other games.

Kokonoe

Banned
It's more of an expansion pack to the last game to be honest. If you're expecting something like a new region, or new Pokemon, this isn't what it is.

Boney

Banned

I already did Tepig... and my brother traded me the other two.
cause it's like an expansion but with a continuated story. New pokemon would mess backwards compatibility up I guess.

not really a new game

Exeunt

Unfortunately I won't be able to play the game yet since my discounted version will be delivered some time next week, but hopefully Pokémon Dream Radar will serve as an okay diversion. The eShop description seems rather schizophrenic though:

"The game uses some of the coolest features of the Nintendo 3DS system, including the 3D camera and gyro sensor [...] This title is available in 2D only. Adjusting the 3D Depth Slider will have no effect."

Yeah, sounds like some real great use of the 3D camera here!

Vire

cause it's like an expansion but with a continuated story. New pokemon would mess backwards compatibility up I guess.

not really a new game

Yeah I guess the whole "2" thing made me think that there was going to be more to it.

If I had known it was an expansion pack type deal, my expectations probably would have been different.

Oh well. *shrug*

Kokonoe

Banned
Unfortunately I won't be able to play the game yet since my discounted version will be delivered some time next week, but hopefully Pokémon Dream Radar will serve as an okay diversion. The eShop description seems rather schizophrenic though:

"The game uses some of the coolest features of the Nintendo 3DS system, including the 3D camera and gyro sensor [...] This title is available in 2D only. Adjusting the 3D Depth Slider will have no effect."

Yeah, sounds like some real great use of the 3D camera here!

And you still bought it anyway!

Emitan

Yeah I guess the whole "2" thing made me think that there was going to be more to it.

If I had known it was an expansion pack type deal, my expectations probably would have been different.

Oh well. *shrug*

It's a new story, new characters, new areas, and you can catch way more Pokémon than before. Besides having new Pokémon it's basically a new game.

zroid

Banned

I don't get why it's not understandable. It's not like they're trying to trick people into buying the games. The marketing material makes it quite clear that it's the same region, and the same Pokemon.

You say that it's not being labeled as Grey, but this is very plainly the Grey replacement. And in lieu of a third version, we're getting two direct story sequels. If anything it's the opposite of laziness.

Boney

Banned
It's a new story, new characters, new areas, and you can catch way more Pokémon than before. Besides having new Pokémon it's basically a new game.

it's still the same backbone both mechanically and region wise, might be the meatiest expansion yet but not basically a new game no señor

Exeunt

And you still bought it anyway!

To be fair, I haven't bought it yet! But yeah, I would probably purchase it if it had Game Boy Camera graphics for a chance at new Pokémon... I'm going to pass on PokéDex 3D Pro at least! The latter pricetag is a little too steep.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
It's not my fault they made the starters so lackluster and gave Samurott all the right tools to use. False Swipe Pokemon are valuable, especially when I can Surf on them as well.

And that way I don't have to bench my starter for the first time. Bwohohoho

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
So I'm gonna do the Bug-only thing in Black 2 (because Heracross). Is it cheating to use Genesect?

Genesect's movepool is really shitty until you get some good TMs to use. But once you do he'll be a monster in-game.

Of course, I'm going to be using Keldeo. I don't really care about the challenge of my playthrough. I just want to use a cool Pokemon and have fun so I can get through to the competitive aspects.

Man I hate HM Slaves, they're just there to ruin your team

At least when it's a Water-type, it's getting STAB on things like Waterfall and Surf. And really, Cut / Waterfall / Dive are used so rarely, you just need Strength / Surf / Fly on hand most times. All which can be used effectively in game. Stick Cut on something awful and use it the two times you need it and then never touch that Pokemon again.

zychi

Banned
So transferring my pokemon from black to black 2, will I have the same levels? or do they reset? I've never done this before. can you do it near the beginning of the game?

for people who cheat/use ar codes, when do they generally update the codes for the device?

Teknoman

cant wait till tomorrow.

I completely forgot it was this Sunday and not next Sunday.

So transferring my pokemon from black to black 2, will I have the same levels? or do they reset? I've never done this before. can you do it near the beginning of the game?

for people who cheat/use ar codes, when do they generally update the codes for the device?

In order of questions:

Yes.
No.
No...unless you just do trades, and even then you wont be able to control them without the appropriate badge.

At least when it's a Water-type, it's getting STAB on things like Waterfall and Surf. And really, Cut / Waterfall / Dive are used so rarely, you just need Strength / Surf / Fly on hand most times. All which can be used effectively in game. Stick Cut on something awful and use it the two times you need it and then never touch that Pokemon again.

Well I can understand, but I just find flying to the Pokemon Center going into the boxes and switching out your Pokemon in your team for another then go back to where you need it and use it and fly back and switch the Pokemon again to be a huge pain in the ass.

But I'm just lazy : /

zroid

Banned
I still have some lingering bitterness from my very first playthrough of Pokemon Blue, wherein I taught Cut to Ivysaur, not yet fully understanding the implications of using an HM in Gen I. :mad:

Kokonoe

Banned
Actually, I was thinking, with Gen VI they could make these types of things DLC instead of separate games. However, then I realized people still buy them anyway so they'd be losing money doing it that way.

Cheska

Completely and utterly jealous of that world launch in NY. It's disappointing that Gamestop doesn't seem to be having a midnight release for this.

Vire

It would be if this was actually being proposed as a new generation, in this case "sequel" means new story +typical third version stuff + slightly a bit more .

When you slap a number 2 on a game and charge full price, then I guess it's reasonable to assume you get all new stuff.

But I guess Pokemon isn't most games.

As the poster above me said, this seems like the perfect avenue for DLC, but obviously they can get away with charging the full game cost.

yea no way game freak is gonna lose their 35(soon to be 40) dollars they get from us dopes who buy the expansion pack version(s) .

Under no known circumstances has strapping a 2 onto a pokemon game ever lead to it being a new generation with tons of new pokemon, in fact in the bizzaro world of Gamefreak and Pokemon that should have been the first tip that something was off.

When you slap a number 2 on a game and charge full price, then I guess it's reasonable to assume you get all new stuff.

But I guess Pokemon isn't most games.

As the poster above me said, this seems like the perfect avenue for DLC, but obviously they can get away with charging the full game cost.

You can't add something like this with DLC on a DS game.

Top Bottom