• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black Version 2/White Version 2 |OT| Zero Shades of Grey

TheLight

I don't let nostalgia mess with my suggestions, I think Platinum, HGSS, and BW are great entries into the series.

It does not, it's a DS game not a 3DS one.

Do you have it? Literally just saw a trailer with pokemon on a 3DSXL with the top screen on wide.

Ala Alba

So, how far into the game do you need to be in order to use the mystery gift feature? (Please tell me you can do it before you even start a new game!)

It'll be a while before I'm ready to start B2/W2, but I didn't want to miss out on Genesect.

So, how far into the game do you need to be in order to use the mystery gift feature? (Please tell me you can do it before you even start a new game!)

It'll be a while before I'm ready to start B2/W2, but I didn't want to miss out on Genesect.

I'm not sure if you can do it before you start, but I literally started my game, saved, reset, then got my Mystery Gift.

-GJ-

I would either wait for the next generation on 3DS, or start with Black/White 1 or HeartGold/SoulSilver, more so BW because they're newer.

HeartGold and SoulSilver are better games than BW though. And you also get more bang for your buck if you go with HGSS.

Kokonoe

Banned
HeartGold and SoulSilver are better games than BW though. And you also get more bang for your buck if you go with HGSS.

I want to warn you before you start this that GAF prefers Black and White, so you'll be arguing with a lot of people.

I enjoy every other Pokemon game a lot more than Black and White, though.

Eh, I'll agree that you get more bang for your buck with HGSS, but I'd definitely argue that BW are better games.

Same here.

HGSS have tons of content and they're great games by default. But I'd say that BW are better.

BW and HGSS are my top two though to be honest, and it's pretty close.

-GJ-

It's an opinion, but to me the Johto region is the best region in any Pokémon game, it has my favorite Pokémon soundtrack and it doesn't have all those terrible designed Pokémon the later games got (no, I'm not going there). Add the fact that you have a bonus region and possible the best generation of Pokémon with gen 2 and to me, you have the best Pokémon games you can get. Also the menu's in HGSS are way better than the BW menu's (who the fuck uses the C-Gear? C'mon...), but that's only a small advantage.

I want to warn you before you start this that GAF prefers Black and White, so you'll be arguing with a lot of people.

Again, it's an opinion. If anyone asks me what game they should get if they want to start playing Pokémon I always recommend HGSS.

stktt

Banned

Maybe if you really love the originals, but I've always thought Johto was the worst region, and B/W fixed a lot of minor annoyances within the series. Plus, having nothing but brand new Pokémon makes it seemed better suited to someone that's never played any of the games before.

It's an opinion, but to me the Johto region is the best region in any Pokémon game, it has my favorite Pokémon soundtrack and it doesn't have all those terrible designed Pokémon the later games got (no, I'm not going there). Add the fact that you have a bonus region and possible the best generation of Pokémon with gen 2 and to me, you have the best Pokémon games you can get. Also the menu's in HGSS are way better than the BW menu's (who the fuck uses the C-Gear? C'mon...), but that's only a small advantage.

I agree that it's a great game, but I have to admit that nostalgia is a big factor for a lot of people. I really wonder what HGSS are like for people who didn't play the originals.

Kokonoe

Banned
Maybe if you really love the originals, but I've always thought Johto was the worst region, and B/W fixed a lot of minor annoyances within the series. Plus, having nothing but brand new Pokémon makes it seemed better suited to someone that's never played any of the games before.

I disagree with that statement, all Pokemon would be "new" if it was for someone playing it for the first time. Besides, for me, I like seeing more than just one region's Pokemon because it gives me a nice feeling that it's all just one big world, and not some area that seems like it's on another planet. I think the majority should be of that region's Pokemon, but not at all before endgame.

Again, it's an opinion. If anyone asks me what game they should get if they want to start playing Pokémon I always recommend HGSS.
Don't worry, I agree with you wholeheartedly.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
How fast/early can you get Genesect?

Also you definitely don't want to do that, you'll fuck yourself over royally later on in the game.

Right as you turn on the game. Just access Mystery Gift.

I'm going to play through Black 2 and White 2 two badges at a time. Stop B2 after Roxie and go into W2 much slower as that's going to be my 649 game (attempted at least).

I love how early in the game you can get Mareep and Riolu, two really great Pokemon when evolved.

Zeroth

It's not really a matter of preference, it's just that BW are much more focused at newcomers than past entries. In that aspect, they're perfect to people who want to get in the series. HGSS was a love letter to people who played the originals, and are really well packed games, but in the end BW are more suitable for newcomers, and this is why me or "GAF" recommend those games over HGSS to newcomers. Opinions play little part in that.

How fast/early can you get Genesect?

Also you definitely don't want to do that, you'll fuck yourself over royally later on in the game.

Really really early, I just got it at the the third gym... thing is he is actually a few levels behind my other Pokemon since he's at level 15 but he gets experience boosts and has strong attacks...

I guess I'll leave him behind, just for collection.

It's not really a matter of preference, it's just that BW are much more focused at newcomers than past entries. In that aspect, they're perfect to people who want to get in the series. HGSS was a love letter to people who played the originals, and are really well packed games, but in the end BW are more suitable for newcomers, and this is why me or "GAF" recommend those games over HGSS to newcomers. Opinions play little part in that.

This sums up my feeling precisely.

BW is magnificent in the way that it caters to both newcomers and established fans. It provides enough introductory material to really hook newcomers while providing enough improvements to satisfy people who have played through every game in the series.

Top Bottom