• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black Version 2/White Version 2 |OT| Zero Shades of Grey

Kokonoe

Banned
It's not really a matter of preference, it's just that BW are much more focused at newcomers than past entries. In that aspect, they're perfect to people who want to get in the series. HGSS was a love letter to people who played the originals, and are really well packed games, but in the end BW are more suitable for newcomers, and this is why me or "GAF" recommend those games over HGSS to newcomers. Opinions play little part in that.

That still is an opinion, though. I mean, I could very well say that the menu interface is a lot better and less confusing, the intro tutorial in HGSS is better, and I think the overall game is better. There's no way I'll ever say Black and White is the best in the series to start out with. If you notice, everyone suggesting this has Black and White as their favorite.

Izick

Playing Pokemon Black (1) and I don't know what to do. I have too many Pokeman for my party, but I want to level them all. I guess that's life though.

That still is an opinion, though. I mean, I could very well say that the menu interface is a lot better and less confusing, the intro tutorial in HGSS is better, and I think the overall game is better. There's no way I'll ever say Black and White is the best in the series to start out with. If you notice, everyone suggesting this has Black and White as their favorite.

How many times?

BW was designed to be easy for newcomers. HGSS was designed to be a love letter to the fans. It's facile to try and claim otherwise.

Opinions on quality have absolutely nothing to do with it, and neither does any martyr complex that you have about BW.

Kokonoe

Banned
How many times?

BW was designed to be easy for newcomers. HGSS was designed to be a love letter to the fans. It's facile to try and claim otherwise.

Opinions on quality have absolutely nothing to do with it, and neither does any martyr complex that you have about BW.

Martyr complex? You're one to talk. I've suggested either Platinum, HGSS, or Black and White. You'll out that all DS Pokemon games are unplayable because of Black and White.

I think any of the DS games are great entries into the series, and I'm not going to say one is better over the other for that cause.

Gaf, I don't want you to hate me but I could not play SoulSilver or HeartGold... I made the stupid mistake of finishing Black first so then I just couldn't get into SoulSilver because it felt so slow : /

Zeroth

It's true that in the end it's an opinion, but it's not an unfunded one or is it unpopular. It's a fact BW offers many in-game menus and tutorials to assist newcomers, and elements such as the story really make these games comfortable to play for people who are new to the series, and that's pretty much a consensus regarding it.

You have your opinion, and that's fine. The thing is that people don't say BW because it is their favorite game, but because they acknowledge that the game is simply much easier to get into the series because it was designed as such. At the end of the day that's an opinion, but it's an opinion based on something concrete, that is that the game is helpful to newcomers. You could say the same about any pokemon game, but you would be more pressed to find reasons to why they are superior to BW over that.

As for your bias comment, I'll just say that a person who mentions her love for generation 2 every chance she gets and is recommending a game based on Gen 2 is not really the best to throw stones at people for offering biased opinions, which is not what is happening.

Gaf, I don't want you to hate me but I could not play SoulSilver or HeartGold... I made the stupid mistake of finishing Black first so then I just couldn't get into SoulSilver because it felt so slow : /

I still love you, it's ok

too bad we don't have remakes of RSE yet because then i could say, without a doubt, that those are the definitive pokemon games

Martyr complex? You're one to talk. I've suggested either Platinum, HGSS, or Black and White. You'll out that all DS Pokemon games are unplayable because of Black and White.

I think any of the DS games are great entries into the series, and I'm not going to say one is better over the other for that cause.

Pff. Any time anyone says that BW are the best choice, you're on hand to shout them down. I have said many times that it's worth playing the DS games, but to start with Black and White because they are absolutely 100% more accessable than HGSS.

BW are empirically the best titles for someone new to start with, no matter how much they insulted your childhood or the designs suck or whatever buzzword you want to pull out this time.

Kokonoe

Banned
As for your bias comment, I'll just say that a person who mentions her love for generation 2 every chance she gets and is recommending a game based on Gen 2 is not really the best to throw stones at people for offering biased opinions, which is not what is happening.

If I was biased, I'd pick one or the other, or I'd suggest that Pokemon Gold for the Gameboy Color would be the best way to get into the series. I think the Gameboy Pokemon games are better. Any response you've seen has been more a joking tone in response to how everyone else talks about Black and White.

When I first got into PokeGAF, I was immediately told how bad Johto was. I also like you notice me, but you never notice everyone else proclaiming how much they like their favorites. There also is nothing wrong with either. I'm also clearly stating that people will pick their favorites when it comes to suggestions.

Pff. Any time anyone says that BW are the best choice, you're on hand to shout them down. I have said many times that it's worth playing the DS games, but to start with Black and White because they are absolutely 100% more accessable than HGSS.

BW are empirically the best titles for someone new to start with, no matter how much they insulted your childhood or the designs suck or whatever buzzword you want to pull out this time.

No? I've never shut someone down because they like Black and White more. Any time this occurs, It's because I mention I like HGSS more and people ask me a ton of questions why. If you go to all the suggestions threads of Pokemon, you'll clearly see I suggest Black and White and other Pokemon games too. However, you're not going to tell me one thing is better when I clearly have my own opinion on what I like more or vice versa.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
This will be the first Pokémon game I won't get day 1.

Feels weird.

Well, at least you can still say you've gotten every first game of every Generation of Pokemon.

Yeah, this is the first time since Emerald that I haven't been there on the first day. I'm saving at least five dollars even after factoring in my Dream Radar purchase though—I would've done a "trade one" instead but none of the cheap qualifiers are available in my city. I guess I'll be keeping pace with PokéGAF instead!

I guess it felt too weird, hahaha :(

fcWL7.jpg

Out of all the games I had with me at the time (from Gen 3 onward) I chose my SoulSilver cart along with a couple other things for Veronica Taylor to sign when she was at NYCC last year. I would've chosen my Yellow cart but it was back at home and I couldn't get it sent over in time. So yeah, firmly in the Gen 2 as my personal favorite camp.

But really, no gen wars please. It's always been stupid to do. If you're looking for an entry point then HGSS or BW1 or 2 are all perfect for that, but everyone has their reasons for having a favorite game or gen.

Zeroth

If I was biased, I'd pick one or the other, or I'd suggest that Pokemon Gold for the Gameboy Color would be the best way to get into the series. I think the Gameboy Pokemon games are better. Any response you've seen has been more a joking tone in response to how everyone else talks about Black and White.

When I first got into PokeGAF, I was immediately told how bad Johto was. I also like you notice me, but you never notice everyone else proclaiming how much they like their favorites. There also is nothing wrong with either. I'm also clearly stating that people will pick their favorites when it comes to suggestions.

I don't pick my favorite games when I'm recommending games to newcomers, nor I think anyone here does it as much as you think. Personally I like when new people decide to get into the series, so I suggest them the game I feel they will be more comfortable playing. I like much more when people are having fun playing a series I like over making people buy a certain game not because they will necessarily have a good time with it, but because I think it's the best.

Perhaps I'm overreading, but if you're implying you joke about recommending a game for newcomers, I think you may need to be more careful about that. People take these suggestions seriously, and I think it's a bit low to make a joke out of someone who wants to try something new.

As for your comment, I'm only stating you because you are the only one who always recommends HGSS over other games every time people ask for recommendations for newcomers. You may not be the only one, but you are the most vocal.

When I first got into PokeGAF, I was immediately told how bad Johto was. I also like you notice me, but you never notice everyone else proclaiming how much they like their favorites. There also is nothing wrong with either.
Yes. Now you see, those are called opinions. Those are allowed. Hell, this is a discussion board; they are to be encouraged.

What you consistently and bullishly fail to acknowledge is that we are not just basing our recommendations on personal opinion, but the design and purpose of the game. Black and White is a fresh start; HGSS is a fan-pleasing remake of a fan-pleasing sequel.

Quality has nothing to do with it. From what I've seen, BW2 are richer, more satisfying games than BW, but I wouldn't recommend someone start the series with them, because, much like HGSS, that's not what they're for.

However, you're not going to tell me one thing is better when I clearly have my own opinion on what I like more or vice versa.

Please point out to me at what point this discussion was "what's your favourite Pokemon game", as opposed to "what's the best Pokemon game to start with".

While I think BW are the best games, I literally can't pick a favorite gen anyways. It just depends on whatever I'm nostalgic for at the time. I used to be "HOLYOMGSHITJOHTOREMAKE" until HGSS came out and now I'm dying for a RSE remake.

Kokonoe

Banned
I don't pick my favorite games when I'm recommending games to newcomers, nor I think anyone here does it as much as you think. Personally I like when new people decide to get into the series, so I suggest them the game I feel they will be more comfortable playing. I like much more when people are having fun playing a series I like over making people buy a certain game not because they will necessarily have a good time with it, but because I think it's the best.

Perhaps I'm overreading, but if you're implying you joke about recommending a game for newcomers, I think you may need to be more careful about that. People take these suggestions seriously, and I think it's a bit low to make a joke out of someone who wants to try something new.

As for your comment, I'm only stating you because you are the only one who always recommends HGSS over other games every time people ask for recommendations for newcomers. You may not be the only one, but you are the most vocal.

I am quite vocal, I agree. However, I've mainly been suggesting Black and White 2 for all the newcomers in the Pokemon thread. I've stated a few times that I personally think HGSS will be better than BW1, yes, but I've also stated that majority of others feel here differently about it and I always included that information. I'm not talking about my suggestions here, I'm more of talking about when I say "Pokemon Gold is the best!" or posts like that. I'm always joking when I say stuff like that.

When it comes to my suggestions, I do pick a bit of my favorites myself, but I also pick what would probably be the best way to get into the series. Like I won't suggest Diamond and Pearl anymore because I realized Platinum is a lot nicer, although I won't say Diamond and Pearl aren't good games. I'll suggest Black and White, but I'll definitely suggest Black and White 2 more cause it has more content.

so will gamestop let you buy this in store day 1 without a pre order or are they gonna be dicks about it?

I only had Black 2 pre-ordered but I went ahead and bought a copy of White 2. Literally, even the super small game store I used to work at got like 40 copies of Pokemon on release compared to the 2-3 copies we'd get of other games. You should be fine.

I am quite vocal, I agree. However, I've mainly been suggesting Black and White 2 for all the newcomers in the Pokemon thread. I've stated a few times that I personally think HGSS will be better than BW1, yes, but I've also stated that majority of others feel here differently about it and I always included that information. I'm not talking about my suggestions here, I'm more of talking about when I say "Pokemon Gold is the best!" or posts like that. I'm always joking when I say stuff like that.

You see, this is where we differ. I think BW2 is a pretty bad place to start, thanks to the huge Pokedex and continued plot points and region growth.

It looks like "if you haven't played White or Black, just get B2/W2"

Am I right?

From what I've seen and played so far, I think that's perfectly fine. If you don't mind wiki'ing a few plot points here and there then you're good to go. If nothing else, you'll be able to get the Genesect launch month promo.

You see, this is where we differ. I think BW2 is a pretty bad place to start, thanks to the huge Pokedex and continued plot points and region growth.

While I totally understand that argument, I don't think it's as much of a barrier as people think. I read superhero comics - ya typically don't start from issue 1 and work your way up. I think people nowadays more than ever are more comfortable with using wiki sites or watching videos of previous events to catch up on a series.

I'd divide some of the recommendations:

Did you get out of Pokemon but are looking to get back in and catch some of your old favorites? HGSS

Same as above but want to start fresh? BW1 or 2(if you still want some old gen dudes mixed into your journey)

Brand new in the series and don't have/know any Pokemon? BW1

Yes, Ike.

Yes.
While I totally understand that argument, I don't think it's as much of a barrier as people think. I read superhero comics - ya typically don't start from issue 1 and work your way up. I think people nowadays more than ever are more comfortable with using wiki sites or watching videos of previous events to catch up on a series.

Oh, yes, that's doubtlessly true. I was thinking more for absolute beginners who just want to sit and give it a go; kids maybe, or people with zero experience of previous Pokemon games.

I just got Black 1 last week and I was trying to beat it(the gyms) before today but didn't make it. I never finished any of them, I think I got to seventh gym way back on red and I think I dropped Silver, Ruby, and Pearl around fourth or fifth badge. I think I'm going to get all the way through on here. I'm going to pick up Black 2 later tonight..crazyness

Kokonoe

Banned

Well, this is kinda response to your post above and I'm using this post as a reference. I wasn't trying to call you out or anyone out, I meant everyone including myself will use their own opinions to suggest what is going to be the best for a suggestion in the end. Other factors add in, but like I mentioned before, I'll suggest Platinum over Diamond and Pearl. I'm not trying to say it's 100% biased here, but people do in fact use their opinions to suggest things.

I'd suggest all the the third versions besides maybe the Pikachu one myself first.

Well, this is kinda response to your post above and I'm using this post as a reference. I wasn't trying to call you out or anyone out, I meant everyone including myself will use their own opinions to suggest what is going to be the best for a suggestion in the end. Other factors add in, but like I mentioned before, I'll suggest Platinum over Diamond and Pearl. I'm not trying to say it's 100% biased here, but people do in fact use their opinions to suggest things.

I think we might well be arguing at cross purposes here, and over something that really doesn't matter all that much, so I'm going to back down a bit.

Sorry if I got a bit aggressive, Kokonoe.

cvxfreak

Are there any drawbacks between getting the North American version versus the European one? I'm visiting the UK this month so I was thinking of just picking that version up instead of in the U.S....

Boney

Banned
Are there any drawbacks between getting the North American version versus the European one? I'm visiting the UK this month so I was thinking of just picking that version up instead of in the U.S....

They may be region locked if you're playing on a different region 3ds or DSi I guess.
I know the original B&W was region free on it's western release, so I suppose this will be the same.

Top Bottom