• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black Version 2/White Version 2 |OT| Zero Shades of Grey

TheOGB

Banned
Whoa, these new box options - the return of
multi-select drag n drop
, so delicious.

Righto.
Okay, [Pokedex]
Habitat Mode
is pretty neat. Now if only it had
encounter rates
lol
7xE0s.jpg

Sonic Adventure 2 will not be enough to hold me. I need this game NOW

entremet

I haven't played one of these since Red. Can someone explain to me in a brief manner how exp works, how it's shared amongst active and inactive and all that?

Pokemon who appear in battles for at least one turn gain experience. Does who are not called in, do not. The one exception is the held item Exp. Share, which can be held by one Pokemon and the Pokemon will split exp. with the active battle Pokemon.

I haven't played one of these since Red. Can someone explain to me in a brief manner how exp works, how it's shared amongst active and inactive and all that?
Pokemon who appear in battles for at least one turn gain experience. Does who are not called in, do not. The one exception is the held item Exp. Share, which can be held by one Pokemon and the Pokemon will split exp. with the active battle Pokemon.
As well as the above, the Pokémon's level makes a big difference as well, thanks to the level scaling in the G5 games - you gain more experience when your Pokémon fights against an opponent with a higher level than it, and less vs. a lower leveled one.

For example, a lv. 6 against a lv. 11 will get loads and loads of experience compared to a lv. 13 vs. a lv. 11.

quabba

Hmm, getting Frustration and Return so soon - I guess GF wanted to cover the friendship bases early, heh..

Anyone know where/how to check happiness / friendship.

Return has power of 102 at Max happiness so it looks like a good move to teach to lower level / early game pokemon if their happiness is growing and easy to max.

I used it on my azurill with huge power. STAB + huge power (doubles attack) made it somewhat usable while I leveled it.

Did you ever complete your goal?

Oh yeah, Espeon, Umbreon and Crobat are some of my favorites. Just grinding Goldenrod haircuts and other stuff to get happiness up, then going up a level to see if they evolve or not and reloading if they don't was a lot of fun for me. I loved a lot of things in Gen 2, but Happiness evolution is one of my absolute favorite mechanics in these games.

Thank you so much man
He's been playing all day. He has to learn his frustration threshold.

No problem. I'm sure we all remember being stuck in a cave without Flash, haha.

Oh yeah, Espeon, Umbreon and Crobat are some of my favorites. Just grinding Goldenrod haircuts and other stuff to get happiness up, then going up a level to see if they evolve or not and reloading if they don't was a lot of fun for me. I loved a lot of things in Gen 2, but Happiness evolution is one of my absolute favorite mechanics in these games.

That sounds awesome, I did not get to experience Pokemon until Gen IV : ( so I missed out on a lot.

So guys, I have a problem... My Elekid is lv.23 but his defense absolutely sucks! His defense Stats are freaking 22 ffs. I can't use him because hes down in two hits : / Do I take him out? What can i do?

So guys, I have a problem... My Elekid is lv.23 but his defense absolutely sucks! His defense Stats are freaking 22 ffs. I can't use him because hes down in two hits : / Do I take him out? What can i do?

That's because he's a baby-class Pokemon so he's generally going to have lower than average stats. If you can tough if out or train him up to level 30, he evolves into Electabuzz at that time which should be a nice bump up.

Also I just realized by looking him up, it seems weird that Elekid and Electabuzz's base stats are more Special Attack oriented (which may also be part of your problem if you're using physical attacks thinking they excel at those). Electivire is way more of a Physical Attacker which totally fits, but I didn't realize the two pre-evos had those stats.

Elekid is pretty bad, but you do only have 7 levels until it evolves. It'll be dramatically better as an Electabuzz.

That's because he's a baby-class Pokemon so he's generally going to have lower than average stats. If you can tough if out or train him up to level 30, he evolves into Electabuzz at that time which should be a nice bump up.

Hmm.... Well I guess I'll give him a chance... But I know it's going to be faster using Exp.Share than to try to level him solo.

blackflag

Is there any good online resource that a first time pokemon player should check out to learn the ropes or just dive right in? Don't want to screw myself later.

Roto13

Is there any good online resource that a first time pokemon player should check out to learn the ropes or just dive right in? Don't want to screw myself later.
Pokemon is really easy to just play. You don't really need to read up on anything before you start. If you want to learn about a specific Pokemon or move or item or something, there's always Bulbapedia.

I just...I just really want to start this game with a Squirtle for some reason. All I have access to is Heart Gold though. So gonna have to pick something from there

If you've played other JRPGs then you'll be fine. There is nothing you could do that could possibly screw you over. Taking the Grass starter can be a bit challenging, but manageable.

Well, this is the first time I've ever nicknamed my Pokemon.

I've been nicknaming since Gen 3. It's part of the reason I don't care about promo Pokemon. Can't nickname em :p

Well, this is the first time I've ever nicknamed my Pokemon.

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb347/Kokonoe-/dempokemanz.jpg[IMG]

Although, maybe I should wait to use Andrex...[/QUOTE]

Yay! If you need a Fire Stone later in the game, let me know. I'll make sure to find one!

Top Bottom