• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black Version 2/White Version 2 |OT| Zero Shades of Grey

Schmitty

I have to hold off on this game because of work and exams. It's killing me on the insideto read this thread

Excited to raise a Riolu and Elekid for the first time. Not sure if I'll get a Mareep too.

woah! I guess Im really the only person who prefers to play DS games on the 3DS and think that they look shit on any DS compared to the 3DS, oh well...

I prefer playing DS games on the 3DSXL as well, but they still don't look as crisp as they do on a DSi or DSiXL.

Seriously, the only thing that sucks about the 3DS is having to choose between streetpasses and C Gear. :(

ffdgh

Ok so my current team is:
Snivy
riolu
buizel
eevee *flareon*
and an eventual trapinch.

Any suggestions for the last slot?

MedIC86

Maybe i missed it in the thread but what version is best to get? or should i just choose which pokemon exclusives i want?

OctoWara289

Neo Member
I picked this game up yesterday, so far it's amazing, the best Pokemon game I've ever played. The variety in Pokemon to choose from is also amazing. Last game left me feeling like I didn't have enough, now I'm going crazy catching every Pokemon I see.

I've been playing on a 3DS XL as well, and it looks gross in blown-up mode, however, if you hold START and SELECT when booting the game, it will load beautifully in the same size and resolution as a DS Lite/DSi (1:1 mode), and that's how I've been playing. That's one of the pluses the 3DS XL has over the OG 3DS. If you didn't already know this, you will thank me.

I picked this game up yesterday, so far it's amazing, the best Pokemon game I've ever played. The variety in Pokemon to choose from is also amazing. Last game left me feeling like I didn't have enough, now I'm going crazy catching every Pokemon I see.

I've been playing on a 3DS XL as well, and it looks gross in blown-up mode, however, if you hold START and SELECT when booting the game, it will load beautifully in the same size and resolution as a DS Lite/DSi (1:1 mode), and that's how I've been playing. That's one of the pluses the 3DS XL has over the OG 3DS. If you didn't already know this, you will thank me.

Even better, you only need to hold Start or Select, not both. Efficiency!

Heh. I think I'm used to how the 3DS upscales DS output. As for 1:1 on the original 3DS, the high PPI makes everything pin-sharp, though playing for a long time can be uncomfortable.

Angel Gamer

Neo Member
I'm getting the game a little later this month. Could people give me a quick run down of the new additions to this game? I haven't really been following anything on it. I played a ton of Black.

I think in the end it boils down to whether you want exclusives or storyline coherency (the latter is pretty minor tbh).

Doesn't Memory Link work cross-colour? So Black 2 will work with a White save file for example? That's what I read. So surely it really only boils down to version exclusives (and perhaps wanting the same colour for shelf coherency)?

OctoWara289

Neo Member
Heh. I think I'm used to how the 3DS upscales DS output. As for 1:1 on the original 3DS, the high PPI makes everything pin-sharp, though playing for a long time can be uncomfortable.

It does not upscale, it stretches. When you do 1:1 on the 3DS XL, it covers the same amount of pixels as the DS Lite does, therefore looking just as sharp as it does on a DS Lite; how the game was intended to look. And by chance, the size of the game displayed through the XL accurately matches that of the DS Lite, too. When you do this on the regular 3DS, it's the same thing, except a lot smaller, since the screen on the original 3DS is smaller than the XL one.

Even better, you only need to hold Start or Select, not both. Efficiency!

:OOO

brinstar

Doesn't Memory Link work cross-colour? So Black 2 will work with a White save file for example? That's what I read. So surely it really only boils down to version exclusives (and perhaps wanting the same colour for shelf coherency)?

it does, but
the dragon that N has
depends on the version and is consistent with the previous game. So if you care about the story perfectly matching what you played before, you're "supposed" to get the sequel to the game you had.

At this point fuck it. I need to drop my OCD, say fuck natures for the main game, and enjoy my game. I think i've decided on a team but i need help.

Looking for an elekid (cross chop and ice punch would be boss), a houndour, and staryu. Any help is much appreciated.

it does, but
the dragon that N has
depends on the version and is consistent with the previous game. So if you care about the story perfectly matching what you played before, you're "supposed" to get the sequel to the game you had.

Oh ok, fair enough. I had White but this time I want to go for Black 2 for Black Kyurem and the more awesome box art (lol). That being the only issue is fine with me, so thanks for the info!

Letep

Can anyone speak for the quality / usefulness of the limited edition guide?

Is it a full guide? I remember with black/white 1 the guides were split into two volumes.

Holy shti the Archen Best Legacy gave me is a fucking beast daayuuum

Also, if you do a lot of PokeStar Studios stuff does it get people in the Jon Avenue?

It does not upscale, it stretches. When you do 1:1 on the 3DS XL, it covers the same amount of pixels as the DS Lite does, therefore looking just as sharp as it does on a DS Lite; how the game was intended to look. And by chance, the size of the game displayed through the XL accurately matches that of the DS Lite, too. When you do this on the regular 3DS, it's the same thing, except a lot smaller, since the screen on the original 3DS is smaller than the XL one.

I believe you're talking about upscaling. Up-res-ing things = rendering at a higher resolution = not upscaling/stretching

Playing this on DSi instead of 3DS.

But-but-but the activity log...

(Man, the activity log is something that is minor but yet satisfying as an owner of a 3DS)

Am I the only person that thinks 3DS upscaling + brightness 5 + power saver reminds me of a bad CRT TV that evokes gaming memories?

But-but-but the activity log...

(Man, the activity log is something that is minor but yet satisfying as an owner of a 3DS)

Am I the only person that thinks 3DS upscaling + brightness 5 + power saver reminds me of a bad CRT TV that evokes gaming memories?

Yes. These games look like crap on a 3ds compared to a DSi.

I could play it on my old DS Lite that I gave to my sister for better image quality...but 3DS Activity Log :(

Damn me not having a 3DS XL

Just a note to anyone whose choice of version is dependent on the Kyurem that you get: you can get both if you stick with the same colour you had before.

SaberVulcan

Long shot, but anyone able to send Challange Mode yet? I dont think I will have the desire to play through twice, so I kind of just want to do it on my first run.

Surprised people care about visuals. The sprites are blown up ugly on a normal ds as well, and world visuals are kinda shoddy.

Meh.

And a little thing i like, the bottom screen animations for battle is quite slick. Good stuff.

and holy shit, TM's aren't 1 time use anymore? WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN.

ffdgh

So I was an Idiot and deleted my White savefile...

Can you do the memory link post-game?

Did you ever use pokemon dream world before you deleted it? If yes then there may still be a chance to use it without having to play it over.

And tms became endless in bw 1 :p. Nice isn't it?

At this point fuck it. I need to drop my OCD, say fuck natures for the main game, and enjoy my game. I think i've decided on a team but i need help.

Looking for an elekid (cross chop and ice punch would be boss), a houndour, and staryu. Any help is much appreciated.

I can trade you all of those if you want. I'm not going to promise good natures or abilities though.

Top Bottom