• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black Version 2/White Version 2 |OT| Zero Shades of Grey

*last gym spoilers*

I think that was the easiest eighth gym in the series, I mean I go from dragons to water and the level difference between both gyms is minimal, even with the cheese that is charge beaming Magnezone I have to laugh at that lineup, at least Juan had a Kingdra to contend with, here we've got the final showdown against Jellicent, Snivy users must have chuckled at this one. Still the gym itself was nice with good music, the new town has a distinct and pleasant visual style.
Marlon in his shame goes to drown himself post battle, i'll accept not other explanation for his swift bail out.

This new route through Unova has ruined my Golurk plans completely, well at least the plot finally showed up, this new team plasma look even more chump like than G/S Team Rocket, I guess instead of spending money on numerous plans to be foiled throughout the game they've saved up for their flying Koopa Doom Ship.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
*last gym spoilers*

I think that was the easiest eighth gym in the series, I mean I go from dragons to water and the level difference between both gyms is minimal, even with the cheese that is charge beaming Magnezone I have to laugh at that lineup, at least Juan had a Kingdra to contend with, here we've got the final showdown against Jellicent, Snivy users must have chuckled at this one. Still the gym itself was nice with good music, the new town has a distinct and pleasant visual style.
Marlon in his shame goes to drown himself post battle, i'll accept not other explanation for his swift bail out.

This new route through Unova has ruined my Golurk plans completely, well at least the plot finally showed up, this new team plasma look even more chump like than G/S Team Rocket, I guess instead of spending money on numerous plans to be foiled throughout the game they've saved up for their flying Koopa Doom Ship.

Every trainer should have had
Drizzle Politoed and a bunch of Kabutops / Kingdra / Ludicolo with Swift Swim.

Bamihap

Good at being the bigger man
Hi Folks,

Just wanted to let you know that I am playing Black 2. This is the first Pokemon game I'm playing since Blue! I Played Blue to death. It might be the single biggest cause of me failing high school in the first year. I tried Pokemon Gold, but I thought it was trying to be more complex than needed with all the female/male pokemon etc.

Playing Black 2 is a total blast. The beginning is maybe the best tutorial I have ever seen in a game. Every aspect of the game is introduced naturally and nothing comes forced or too soon.

I am impressed. And I'm loving the game. Despite the User Interface flaws (Do you want to switch pokemon???? Why would the standard option be YES!?!?).

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Hi Folks,

Just wanted to let you know that I am playing Black 2. This is the first Pokemon game I'm playing since Blue! I Played Blue to death. It might be the single biggest cause of me failing high school in the first year. I tried Pokemon Gold, but I thought it was trying to be more complex than needed with all the female/male pokemon etc.

Playing Black 2 is a total blast. The beginning is maybe the best tutorial I have ever seen in a game. Every aspect of the game is introduced naturally and nothing comes forced or too soon.

I am impressed. And I'm loving the game. Despite the User Interface flaws (Do you want to switch pokemon???? Why would the standard option be YES!?!?).

Just go to the Option menu and turn Battle Style to SET instead. That way the game acts more like a real Player vs Player battle, where you done receive a free switch for a KO. Makes the game a lot tougher, but also means you aren't presented with the DO YOU WANT TO SWITCH dialogue too when you're just grinding through trainers.

I'm glad someone relatively 'new' to the series enjoys the beginning and the tutorial. Too many people that have played every single game in the series complain about how slow it begins and 'I already know all this!', but you're just an example of why they do need some tutorial pieces in each game. You never know when new players will be coming into the series.

Roto13

The beginning is maybe the best tutorial I have ever seen in a game. Every aspect of the game is introduced naturally and nothing comes forced or too soon.

There are tons and tons of little subsystems you don't know about. :p But that's ok, the basics are well covered and that's all you really need to know to play and enjoy it at a "beginner" level. (And I don't mean that as an insult or anything, I play at that level and I've been playing Pokemon regularly since 1998. :p)

If you press B when asked if you want to switch Pokemon, it'll take it as a "No." Like EvilMario says, you can turn off the prompt all together, but I wouldn't. There will be many times you want to switch Pokemon after your opponent gets knocked out.

Elider

So, I finally started playing yesterday... after a full day of not being able to decide on a name for the characters (eventually went with Nathan and Hughes because hey).

I'm only at Join Avenue, but this feels like it could be the best Pokémon game... ever!

It feels like there's a ridiculous amount of stuff to do... and I intended to make this game the one where I complete the Pokédex again (haven't done that since Diamond)... 100%-ing this seems daunting, especially since I'm in university now, unlike when I played Diamond.

But yeah, this'll be awesome!

Oh, you can change that in Options. Open the menu, and set Battle Style to "Set".

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
There are tons and tons of little subsystems you don't know about. :p But that's ok, the basics are well covered and that's all you really need to know to play and enjoy it at a "beginner" level. (And I don't mean that as an insult or anything, I play at that level and I've been playing Pokemon regularly since 1998. :p)

If you press B when asked if you want to switch Pokemon, it'll take it as a "No." Like EvilMario says, you can turn off the prompt all together, but I wouldn't. There will be many times you want to switch Pokemon after your opponent gets knocked out.

Be a man Roto and play without those cheap switches after KOs. Make your team actually be built around resistances that you can switch in. Much more fun than just mowing down teams because you can bring in a counter to anything for free.

Roto13

Be a man Roto and play without those cheap switches after KOs. Make your team actually be built around resistances that you can switch in. Much more fun than just mowing down teams because you can bring in a counter to anything for free.

I disagree. :p

Bamihap

Good at being the bigger man
I just read that my choice of Snivy is the most difficult route to take in Black 2. Nice!

I actually choose the grass pokemon because I loved Bulbasaur in Blue :). I always thought he was the strongest of the three.

Red

I just read that my choice of Snivy is the most difficult route to take in Black 2. Nice!

I actually choose the grass pokemon because I loved Bulbasaur in Blue :). I always thought he was the strongest of the three.
Bulbasaur was easy mode.

Currently training for Gym 3 - I really hope the awesome buzz of the opening new areas won't fade when I get to the areas of Unova I've ventured to before.

Really enjoying the Pokemon "habitat" choices, and it feels a lot more like talking to NPC's is worth my time now. Sort of makes the world feel that little bit more real to me as a player, where usually in older Pokemon games, it's pretty much just you ,with occasional rival popping up and token baddies messing you about. With the odd occasional attempt at a plot beyond "become a Pokemon Master - also stop these guys"

Also got Pokerus surprisingly quickly this time around, I believe I never had the joy of it in Black or White so it was a nice surprise, already infected most of my box Pokemon so I don't lose it.

Make it optional. But GF are world leaders in holding out as long as they can in making things convenient.

Technically they do make it sort of optional - for most of B&W 2's opening everyone asks if you already know about how to battle/use the Pokedex/C-gear ect. and if you say "no" then they skip over it - the sole exception is maybe Bianca showing you a Pokemon Capture, but that's over pretty quick.

The problem with making the tutorial TOTALLY optional is that then newbies won't bother with it too, and then people will complain about difficulty getting into the game because they ignored the tutorial or didn't realize it was there to begin with. Plus otherwise you have to skip the introduction to your player character and the world they live in - which while it slows progress, is an important part of RPG titles

ffdgh

There are easier ways to get shards...

Play the funfest mission called "Find shards" in entralink. :p

Can't remember if its post game only or not tho...

ffdgh

Yes, you'll really load up. It can sometimes be annoying though, giving you every color you don't need over and over.

True....Tho its either this or dust clouds.

Oh and the "Memory Training" mission gives out 10+ heart scales on Lv.1 for completing it.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
True....Tho its either this or dust clouds.

Oh and the "Memory Training" mission gives out 10+ heart scales on Lv.1

It's much better than dust clouds. So far and away better, unless you need some random gems too. But between battles and gems coming out of the dust clouds, and needing to use repels it takes too long and cost too much compared to the Entralink.

*goes into Battle Subway, swept by Drillbur*

What in the actual fuck. Why the fuck is that thing fast?

Was Sand Storm going? Not sure if there are any Scarf Drillbur in the subway, but I'm sure there is a Quick Claw one.

brinstar

Yeah, I'm playing with Set on for the first time and it not only makes the game a little tougher, but it encourages you to vary your Pokemon's movesets so they can handle multiple threats

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
No Sandstorm, it just outsped my entire team of Lucario, Lampent, and Ampharos and one shot all of them with Dig.

To be fair, that's a pretty slow team. Drillbur should always out pace Lamp and Ampharos.. Lucario is a surprise. Remember, Battle Subway teams have perfect IVs, beneficial natures and they're fully EV'ed in specific stats. He could have just been holding a Choice Scarf too though. Don't bring Pokemon that share a lot of common weaknesses, because the Subway will exploit it with the teams they throw at you.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
So what are the best ways to get your Pokemon to be happy?

I know you shouldn't let them faint, but is there any other method I should be looking out for too? I'm trying to train my Riolu.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

I know you shouldn't let them faint, but is there any other method I should be looking out for too? I'm trying to train my Riolu.

Walking (every 256 steps gives one point, you need at least 200), massages from the lady in Castelia City (+3 points), using vitamins (more successful in the beginning), leveling up.

Trading resets the happiness level, using bitter items reduces happiness, as does fainting ever so slightly (-1).

If you make your Pokemon hold a Soothe Bell (found in Nimbasa City), they'll gain 1.5x the happiness points they'd normally receive.

See Bulbapedia for exact details: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Friendship#Generation_V

gosox333

Have it first in your party. It'll gain happiness just from you walking around when it's first.

You could just walk around for a while and it'll reach max happiness from that eventually.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Have it first in your party. It'll gain happiness just from you walking around when it's first.

You could just walk around for a while and it'll reach max happiness from that eventually.

That's just a false rumor when we understood happiness much less. The position in the party doesn't matter; It'll gain happiness just walking around with you in any slot. Of course, if you're battling with it to up happiness too then of course you probably want it in the lead slot.

Soothe Bell, leveling up your Pokemon, walking around, using vitamins on it. Stuff like that.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
What's the recommended time to do Memory Link? I don't really want to do it until I beat the game.

Early on, it's basically a case of using it a lot in battle, using items on it, taking it to the Pokemon center for healing before they faint. There's also Soothe Bell, an item that makes Pokemon more friendly faster, but far as I know it isn't in the first few areas. Just try not to make them faint too often and you should be fine.

My Rilou evolved at Level 15 with the above done so it should take about that long,

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
What's the recommended time to do Memory Link? I don't really want to do it until I beat the game.

I received some flash back scenes from Memory Link before the Elite 4.. so I'm not sure if you can permanently miss some scenes if you don't link it early. I don't see the harm in linking it ASAP, because it will change the dialogue so that characters mention your BW hero by name.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I received some flash back scenes from Memory Link before the Elite 4.. so I'm not sure if you can permanently miss some scenes if you don't link it early. I don't see the harm in linking it ASAP, because it will change the dialogue so that characters mention your BW hero by name.

Unless your BW1 name is the same as your BW2 name, then it becomes hilarious.

I should've redone my file and made my BW1 name "I say" for this purpose.

Trey

I think I'm gonna go get another Excadrill and retrain. It shouldn't take long. Sand Rush is much better than sand force.

Kyzer

Banned
That's just a false rumor when we understood happiness much less. The position in the party doesn't matter; It'll gain happiness just walking around with you in any slot. Of course, if you're battling with it to up happiness too then of course you probably want it in the lead slot.

I think in HG/SS the 1st slot Pokemon got happiness from walking behind you

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Say, you look like that trainer Ike. What? Your name is Ike? Nice to meet you Ike. You remind me of Ike.

KuGsj.gif

All my Pokefiles are named the same. :p

Heropon

I'm currently in Castelia and my team consists right now of four pokémon: Dewott, Lucario, Growlithe and Flaaffy. What pokémon should I get to complete it? My only rule is that they must be non-Unova pokémon because I've played BW three times and I want to try new species. This is the first time I use a Growlithe, for example.

gosox333

Huh, I didn't know that. Cool.

Top Bottom