• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT2| International Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fewr

flyinpiranha said:
I'm sure they're close to the same, so if you get it for the art might as well get the hardcover for preservation purposes. Price difference doesn't seem to be all that much.

Plus it says Collector's Edition, collect it!!

dakkumauji said:
Well the price between them isn't that much, and I believe that the hardcover edition contains a pokedex as well. Not sure how complete it would be, as it could list the level up moves and the tm learns and stuff like that or it could be like the Diamond/Pearl one where it was pretty much just pictures of them.

Hmm.. true. My decision is slanting towards the collector's edition.

Ps. Seeing 100 posts per page is great!

Woffls

Awesome OP! I'll probably read it again just for the experience ;D

The online features are confusing, and there's so much extra content in this game that it's borderline ridiculous if you don't have a guide. I'm half tempted to buy the Official guide because I want to play it without my PC on, but I might resort to that once I get lost and can't find new stuff.

Currently walking around in the desert ruins place with one weak Pokémon left, mega trek back to the PKC and I think there's a legendary around here someplace >_< back to the City I go!

Pyrokai

Couple questions:

How is the IR connectivity? Do you have to have your DS systems lined up like you did with the Pokewalker? How does this actually make things easier? Just a little confused.

I'm currently trying to figure things out on the Pokemon.com sign up stuff. What in the world is the difference between a username and a screen name? Which one is public? They want me to create both! Not only that, but it's under the parent/guardian section. I'm not the parent/guardian but I don't need one either. Am I supposed to skip this stuff? I'm so confusedededed :p

I know I'm going to have more questions. Please bear with me :p

vanty said:
I haven't really paid much attention to the game until now, but doesn't White Forest seem significantly better than Black City? If you can catch good stuff there, but in Black can only battle them? Or are all the Pokemon you can find there can be found elsewhere as well so Black is fine?

I'd like to know the same, seems white is superior in that regard?

Suairyu

Banned
Calcaneus said:
I was just gonna ask that, what makes Snivy more challenging than the other two?
First few gyms aren't his strong suit. Like Charmander in R/B. Forces capturing and learning a more diverse team early on. In theory.

An-Det

Awesome OP Andrex. I'm picking up one of each tomorrow (tonight if there are any midnight releases around). The thing I'm most excited about is that there are no old pokemon until late-game; it'll be the closest thing to a truly new experience since Red for me.

Fucking pumped.

OMG Aero said:
I think Snivy is also the worst of the three starters, movepool wise.
Merovin said:
I am beginning to find this out. Plus he's pretty useless offensively.
Well, piggy it is, then. As lame as it kind of seems to have another fire/fighting starter, it's a good combo and they were pretty boss in the previous games. I was kind of hoping Smugleaf would have been good, though. I liked me some Torterra in DP.

Merovin

Got another question guys, Wi-Fi battles with friends, is there a way to do it completely unrestricted? Me and my mate just had our first battle after the first gym, I have 2, he has 4, would only let us enter 3 each, what settings do we need to avoid this? Thanks.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Merovin said:
I am beginning to find this out. Plus he's pretty useless offensively.

Snivy is the classic case of a defensive and Grass starter rolled into one, like Chikorita. Horrific pure Grass move pool, and no offense. Just not what you want in a main game playthrough. And of course, Contrary (ability), the one reason you'd want to use it, isn't available.

Oshawott has been my starter on both playthroughs. It's nothing special as the game progresses, but he is decent on both offenses and carries OK speed. His movepool allows him to carry a mix of moves early on, including Grass Knot/Energy Ball, and later he becomes something of an HM-slave. Razor Shell is good at the time you receive it in game as well.

Tepig has the move pool, but lacks speed you'd want from Fire/Fighting, which is not a fantastic defensive typing. Not to mention Darumaka outclasses him in power and speed. Sheer Force and Flare Blitz (or Fire Punch) is ridiculous in game when it can OHKO a fair number of Pokemon that resist it.

Wichu

Pyrokai said:
Also, I'm really nervous, guys. I want to actually try to play competitively but I know I'm going to get raaaaaped because I've never done that sort of thing before....

Download Pokémon Online, steal a team you like the look of, and get started. Once you get the hang of it, try making your own team (maybe start by modifying an existing one).
Whatever you do, don't start by breeding and EVing a Pokémon in the actual game.
I thought it would be neat to have a mixed Salamence, so I bred a Lonely one and EVed it in Attack and Sp. Atk, then trained it to level 100. I didn't realise I had pretty much wasted my time until I tried using it in battle.

Forkball

WTF this game comes out TOMORROW? I thought it was the 26th. And I still have a bunch of Best Buy gift cards left over from Christmas.

OH GOD

Scribble

Blah, I hope I'm not the only Gaffer who's playing Black/White casually. I chose Oshawott based on how cool he looked. Love the shell emblem thing on its chest.

D-Pad

Forkball said:
WTF this game comes out TOMORROW? I thought it was the 26th. And I still have a bunch of Best Buy gift cards left over from Christmas.

OH GOD

Yes! Just got to make it through today, then Black and White will be MINE.

Nice OP, btw. :p

Too bad what I'm hearing about Snivy. I hope he's not as bad as some are making him out to be. Game Freak sucks at balancing these monsters. :mad:

It's so great how streamlined and fast the menus are. And with handy shortcuts, too. Even the item radar thingy is pretty hassle-free to use.
The only thing I'm missing with all the UI improvements is an optional map on the bottom screen. It's by no means necessary for the rather simple level layout, but I still kind of want it.

Ondore

D-Pad said:
Too bad what I'm hearing about Snivy. I hope he's not as bad as some are making him out to be. Game Freak sucks at balancing these monsters. :mad:

He's good for his type, just bad as a starter.

Now, if they'd let him into the Dream World, he'd be awesome - it can have an ability that reverses stat drops. 'sup Leaf Storm now doubling SA?

TeegsD

So I think I'm gonna give up on using the bird in this one as a flyer. Golett's evo looks a lot cooler and the fact that it can fly makes it the only pokemon besides my starter that will have permanent spots on my team as I go through the story. Also saw that in the dragonspiral tower there is a 1% chance of finding a wild dragonite :O. And its max level can be 70? :O. Are there more wild pokemon areas where their levels are so high?

Teknoman

Scribble said:
Blah, I hope I'm not the only Gaffer who's playing Black/White casually. I chose Oshawott based on how cool he looked. Love the shell emblem thing on its chest.

Nah, alot of people play casually, or at least up until the point where they've done everything to do in the game story/event wise. The first GAF tournament seems to be sort of a casual non-EV trained set of battles since we cant use any Pokemon from the older games, and its fairly soon after launch. Imo anyway, which is cool since I havent had any real casual, non-EV dependent, fight with what you have so far, battles since RBY/GSC.

Forkball said:

OH GOD

I think thats 3DS release date.

ivysaur12

Banned
The thing that I love about BW is the freshness. Playing it really makes me want to capture and train the new guys. I just feel like it's a complete restart because there are no old Pokemon there... of all things, this makes the game feel both familiar and completely different at the same time.

Not to mention the designs are ace.

D-Pad

Ondore said:
He's good for his type, just bad as a starter.

Now, if they'd let him into the Dream World, he'd be awesome - it can have an ability that reverses stat drops. 'sup Leaf Storm now doubling SA?

Snivy can't enter (or be found or however that works) in dream world?

Emitan

I have so much homework this weekend. I'm actually happy I'm not getting my Amazon copy until Tuesday (PLEASE BE MONDAY!!!)

Morokh

yeah unfortunately the grass starter is really not that great (and a little below in overall base stats compared to the others.) but with a Leech Seed / Mega - Giga Drain + couple of CT's it performs fine enough for the game itself thanks to it's speed.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
My co-worker is buying me a copy of Black just so we all can play at work. This will be the first time playing a Pokemon game. God help me.

I'm so picking this up and playing it over spring break. I've been really excited for all the new changes and Pokemon, but I simply haven't had the time this semester.

Disguises

Andrex said:
WPA2 security for Wi-Fi is fully supported in Black and White when played on a Nintendo DSi, Nintendo DSi XL, or Nintendo 3DS system. Yay!
Oh wow, now that's cool. Still waiting for my copy! Can't wait!

Ondore

D-Pad said:
Snivy can't enter (or be found or however that works) in dream world?

Not yet, and probably not until Gray comes out. The only new Pokemon with Dream World abilities are Musharna/Darmanitan, and that's because there's ingame events for them.

Neiteio

DoomXploder7 said:
I gotta give you props Andrex that is one great OP. Also my Amazon Order says shipping soon now so yay!
Yeah, my Amazon order just shipped too. The delivery estimate is Friday, but in my experience that means it'll really be here... Wednesday.

Btw, it says I get $10 Amazon credit for preordering Black, $10 for preordering White, and for whatever reason it says I get $5 credit on top of that. I'd like to turn this around and put it toward a preorder of SSFIV3DE. How do I use Amazon credit, and can I apply it to preorders?

Neiteio said:
Yeah, my Amazon order just shipped too. The delivery estimate is Friday, but in my experience that means it'll really be here... Wednesday.

Btw, it says I get $10 Amazon credit for preordering Black, $10 for preordering White, and for whatever reason it says I get $5 credit on top of that. I'd like to turn this around and put it toward a preorder of SSFIV3DE. How do I use Amazon credit, and can I apply it to preorders?

Yes. The way it works is that it applies the credit when you are gonna place the order. It'll show it on the right side with -$whatever amount of credit you have.

I just finished my review of Pokémon Black & White. CONTAINS SPOILERS See it here: http://styroscope.wordpress.com/2011/03/05/review-pokemon-black-pokemon-white-nds/

No I do not have the game in English, I imported it at launch last year and wrote this from memory. :)

Pau

Don't know if this was mentioned earlier, but apparently tomorrow Toys R Us is having a "buy one DS game, get the second for 50% off" sale. So if you're like me and like to buy both versions and don't want to wait for shipping, that seems to be a good deal. (It comes out to be like three dollars more expensive than the Amazon $10 credit thing.)

Neiteio said:

when you go to make your next order on the payment step it will automatically apply your credit and yes in my experience they give me a wednesday delivery date that ends up being delivered on monday.

Is anyone going to the launch event in New York? I would love to buy some Pokémon Plushes from it. Please LET ME KNOW if you can help me. ;-;

So I guess Snivy isn't that great.

Which leads me to, Tepig or Oshawott? Leaning Oshawott simply because it seems like the least popular.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom