• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT2| International Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackEtc

Billychu said:
Never enough Oshawotts. Never.

Why not Oshawott?

EDIT: I read your post wrong, my bad. I usually start with fire pokemon (well, all the time I played Crystal, I did), but I don't really like the look of Tepig this time around, and Oshawott looks so cuuuuute

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Just pick Snivy if you enjoy his design. There are plenty of water and fire types in Unova. If you want to play through the game quickly as it is, you're likely to drop any of these starters for faster/stronger Pokemon regardless.

Boken

Banned
So I guess Snivy isn't that great.

Which leads me to, Tepig or Oshawott? Leaning Oshawott simply because it seems like the least popular.
Pick Snivy because *you* want to.
Pick Snivy because Pokemon is already quite easy and you're man enough for the challenge.
Pick Snivy because you wanted to make a diverse team anyway.
But most of all, pick Snivy because he looks more badass than the other starters.

mjc

TacticalFox88 said:
Wow, from the looks of the differences, it seems that people who get White version are getting shafted. Oh well, Black version Day 1.

Where'd you hear that? I like the exclusive pokemans in White and the forest sounds more attractive.

Woffls

I went with Tepig because Fire pkmn are often scarce, but I wish I hadn't because the evolutions are so god damn ugly.

I imagine that the choice of starter isn't really going to be that big of a deal. I'm sure there will be plenty of people on GAF to trade around with in a couple of days.

Oshawott looks like a sad clown and Snivy is an asshole. Tepig is the one you want. It's just a happy pig. Can't get any better than that.

Suairyu

Banned
Success. My Snivy is female. Will hook GAF up with some arrogant baby lizards in the near future for trades once I find the breeding centre.

Emitan

MacGurcules said:
I imagine that the choice of starter isn't really going to be that big of a deal. I'm sure there will be plenty of people on GAF to trade around with in a couple of days.
Trading my starter? I could never do that. They're too close to me for me to just give them to some stranger.

EDIT: Someone with Black version will be trading me a Breloom. I need one.

JackEtc

Snivy's smug face makes me want to punch it. It's like he's always saying
6OsNW.jpg

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Fewr said:
I like to buy the official guide because of the art, and because my sister prefers to use that instead of the internet, anyone know which is better?

Pokemon Black Version & Pokemon White Version Collector's Edition: The Official Pokemon Strategy Guide & Unova Pokedex with Removable Front-cover Lenticular [Hardcover]
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0307890627/?tag=neogaf0e-20

or

Pokemon Black Version & Pokemon White Version Volume 1: The Official Pokemon Strategy Guide [Paperback]
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0307890600/?tag=neogaf0e-20

In other words, is the hardcover version worth the extra $$$?

The collector's edition is Volume 1 + the Unova Pokédex (which normally won't be included until volume 2), as well as a really cool hardcover. You can take off the lenticular thing if you don't like it, and there is some really nice etched art of Reshiram and Zekrom underneath. For such a small price difference, you should definitely go for the collector's edition.

ZZMitch

Damn, I didn't even know this game was coming out tomorrow. I have been so caught up on 3DS stuff that I forgot! Thankflly I just sold SoulSilver for 25$, I hate having more then one Pokemon game at once! :p

traveler

Not Wario
This will be the first Pokemon I've played since Gold. Seems pretty overwhelming. I see the differences are listed in the OP but are there any substantial differences between the two in terms of quality? (i.e. are the Pokemon in one version better than those in another; are the perks of Black City greater than those of White Forest?) Also, I'd like to give competitive multiplayer a try for once- anything I need to be mindful of as I play through the single player in regards to this?

dagZ

are there any differences between the US version and the Europe version of the game? will I be able to trade with people from the US?

Bentendo

Which version of the game is most popular? Right now on Amazon White is ahead of Black but I'm not sure if this is reflective of the overall consensus.

dagZ said:
are there any differences between the US version and the Europe version of the game? will I be able to trade with people from the US?
You can trade with anyone from anywhere. I'm not sure of the differences though, other than names (if the version is not English) and translation(apparently, the Euro versions were translated directly from Japanese instead of J->English->lang).
Bentendo said:
Which version of the game is most popular? Right now on Amazon White is ahead of Black but I'm not sure if this is reflective of the overall consensus.
Pick whichever you want, depending on the chart in OP.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Hm. The only Pokemon game I haven't played is Heart Gold / Soul Silver ( i played the original). Play it first, then get Black/White, or vice versa?

Bentendo

ColtraineGF said:
You can trade with anyone from anywhere. I'm not sure of the differences though, other than names (if the version is not English) and translation(apparently, the Euro versions were translated directly from Japanese instead of J->English->lang).

Pick whichever you want, depending on the chart in OP.

I made my choice the second the games were announced (White), but I was just curious which one will sell more.

jman2050

Damn one more day and I still don't know whether to use Snivy or continue always using the fire starter as per tradition.

Morokh

Anyone else in europe getting an error while trying to connect to the 'classic' GTS mode ?

everything other wifi option works fine, even the new GTS mode, but I can't connect to GTS ... xD

Bentendo

Zefah said:
The collector's edition is Volume 1 + the Unova Pokédex (which normally won't be included until volume 2), as well as a really cool hardcover. You can take off the lenticular thing if you don't like it, and there is some really nice etched art of Reshiram and Zekrom underneath. For such a small price difference, you should definitely go for the collector's edition.

I'm not the same poster, but I had a question too: Usually with every Pokemon game I get both strategy guides. Does the collector's edition feature anything (not including the fancy cover) that won't be featured in the second edition? Because if the only thing that the Collector's Edition features is a PokeDex that will also be present in the second edition, I think I'll probably get the cheaper guide.

Suairyu

Banned
jman2050 said:
Damn one more day and I still don't know whether to use Snivy or continue always using the fire starter as per tradition.
The legendary pokemon Victini which you can get really early on if you go online is a joint fire/psychic, so forget about Tepig and join the man's club by getting Snivy.

dangerbyrnes said:
I have to say confagrigus is the coolest Pokemon ever.

look at him, he'll be a permanent part of my team.

also listen to his cry, it's badass.

can't wait to get this game.

I won't spoil it for you, but choose the moveset wisely, and you won't regret it. This one's a beast.

Anyway, I picked Tepig and ditched it after the 4th Gym. It's decent, but there's just better stuff out there.

jman2050 said:
You cannot betray tradition, otherwise the Pokemon overlords will be disappointed in you.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Zzoram said:
Can you overwrite HM moves?

What moves has Snivy been learning for you guys?

The Move Deleter is in Mistralton City, which is pretty late in the main game.

For Snivy, I'd focus on whichever one of its attacks are higher (base attack wise, they're the same). It does receive Swords Dance, and Leaf Blade, making it a pretty quick and powerful physical attacker. Aerial Ace, Dragon Tail, and a number of physical HMs round out its move pool. Leech Seeding is too slow in game for me to warrant its use, but if you're having issues with a specific Pokemon, you could outstall them with it.

It makes an OK HMslave as well, learning Rock Smash, Cut, Strength, and Flash. You could put Rock Smash and Strength on a Swords Dance set and still have it be effective for fighting.

Poyunch

zoner said:
How can anyone choose other than Tepig? He's actually cute. The other two are ugly little monsters.
And evolve into a really lame Pokemon. The other Pokemon may arguably start out ugly (how could say that about Snivy?) but they evolve into badasses.

I'd pick tepig if i didn't have the likes of victini, fire monkey or chandelure weren't itching to be on my story play through team and if snivy wasn't such a smug looking mofo.

Cruceh

Banned
zoner said:
How can anyone choose other than Tepig? He's actually cute. The other two are ugly little monsters.
Because I always use grass.
Oh well, I don't plan on evolving any pokemon this version since I wanna be all Ash's Pikachu, and snivy is the cutest

Was planning on getting it tomorrow but I've decided to wait until the 3DS to play it. I've got enough on my plate in the real world to keep me busy until then and I'll have a killer app to play on my new device.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I think I've decided on using Snivy.

I was a bit worried after you all saying he sucks compared to the other two but then I realized this is pokemon. I also plan on using that fire ape thing, so Tepig would be useless.

Bii

My body is ready. I won't get the game until Tuesday (ordered through Amazon, it was in my Quick Pick so it's 5% cheaper + free shipping + no tax + $10 credit). I'm picking the roast pig.

Merovin

Holy Order Sol said:
I won't spoil it for you, but choose the moveset wisely, and you won't regret it. This one's a beast.

Anyway, I picked Tepig and ditched it after the 4th Gym. It's decent, but there's just better stuff out there.

I plan to ditch Snivy soon, and I'm only facing the second gym.

shahkur

Got Pokemon White yesterday (UK) the legendary is cooler. Not that far in, maybe an hour, wanted to know, how do I access the Wifi thing so I can get the liberty pass. Is it in the pokemon centre?

KJTB

ONE. MORE. DAY.

Woot!

If I wasn't going out tonight I'd totally pick this up at midnight... Going to wake up first thing tomorrow morning regardless of how hungover I am, get it, and play all day :D

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Kurtofan said:
About Gurdurr: He's level 28 should I wait or not before I make him evolve?

Evolve him as soon as possible. He doesn't learn any other moves unevolved, and actually doesn't learn any moves later in his evolved form either (which is a bit odd).

Merovin said:
I plan to ditch Snivy soon, and I'm only facing the second gym.
Ditch Snivy? As in the entire pokemon? Wow. Do the Starters suck THAT much. .____. I'm scared now. I relied on my starter to bail me out of some SERIOUS situations back in the day.

I havent decided on a starter but for the first time ever I might pick Oshowatt (because she looks the coolest) and not evolve it.

Yea not evolving it will make the game harder but the evolutions of all of the starters look bad. (Except Snivy hers look somewhat decent)

daffy

Banned
Roto13 said:
Well, you can breed your Snivy to make a whole new Snivy which you can then trade for a Tepig.

You can transfer all of your Nintendo WFC information over from one DS to another. Will that work with the 3DS?
Ok so I think I forgot how breeding works..

To breed a starter, do you just need it alone? I thought you needed another Pokemon with it in Day Care or whatever? If you need another pokemon, can it be any pokemon or what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom