• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT2| International Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeegsD

Picking Tepig because my friends are getting Oshawott and Snivy. I hate that its a Fire/Fighting because I dont do two of the same types on my team ever and I really wanted to use a Scrafty. I guess I'll just hope that he's either useful in competitive teams or Ill jst use him on my gray playthrough.

Merovin

TacticalFox88 said:
Ditch Snivy? As in the entire pokemon? Wow. Do the Starters suck THAT much. .____. I'm scared now. I relied on my starter to bail me out of some SERIOUS situations back in the day.

Oshawott is really good, haven't got to try out Tepig, but Snivy has just been a disaster. Very weak offensively, average defence/speed.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Bentendo said:
I'm not the same poster, but I had a question too: Usually with every Pokemon game I get both strategy guides. Does the collector's edition feature anything (not including the fancy cover) that won't be featured in the second edition? Because if the only thing that the Collector's Edition features is a PokeDex that will also be present in the second edition, I think I'll probably get the cheaper guide.

Other than maybe some poster/map type of thing, I don't think so.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
I will not buy this tomorrow

im sorry, school :(

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
FTH said:
Ok so I think I forgot how breeding works..

To breed a starter, do you just need it alone? I thought you needed another Pokemon with it in Day Care or whatever? If you need another pokemon, can it be any pokemon or what?

You'll need another Pokemon with it. And your starter will have to be Female, unless you have a Ditto. A Ditto can fill in for either gender.

As for what Pokemon it can breed with, you can trail and error it by seeing how they get along by talking to the Daycare Man (ie; they prefer other Pokemon, they won't breed). Or you can check out Serebii and see the Pokemon in the Egg Groups that match up with it. (Ground and Plant)

Merovin said:
Oshawott is really good, haven't got to try out Tepig, but Snivy has just been a disaster. Very weak offensively, average defence/speed.

Snivy ends up with the best speed out of all the starters, by far. But it is very weak early on compared to the others. You really need good TMs for it to be used fully, mostly Swords Dance and Leaf Blade (learned) naturally. The other two starters have much higher attacks in all regards right off the bat though, and don't even need to setup to deal damage (although they both can as well).

Snivy definitely needs a hand early on, and many people will opt for Grass types that can learn Sleep Powder/Spore.

OMG Aero

PounchEnvy said:
And evolve into a really lame Pokemon. The other Pokemon may arguably start out ugly (how could say that about Snivy?) but they evolve into badasses.
I'll give it to you that Tepig's middle form looks stupid, but Emboar looks pretty awesome.
It's also the only fire type Pokemon that can learn a water move I think.

Oxx

Even though I have no time for this game at the moment I might as well get the game sooner rather than later for that event Pokemon, right?

Poyunch

OMG Aero said:
I'll give it to you that Tepig's middle form looks stupid, but Emboar looks pretty awesome.
It's also the only fire type Pokemon that can learn a water move I think.
Maybe it's because I wanted a quadrupedal, ground-type fire starter.

I don't know anymore. Snivy doesn't seem like a good Pokemon, I don't really like Tepig's evo line, and I've never really enjoyed Water starters outside of Swampert.

How is Oshawott in this game?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Oxx said:
Even though I have no time for this game at the moment I might as well get the game sooner rather than later for that event Pokemon, right?

Indeed, the item required to obtain Victini will only be available for a limited time, and might not appear again (ever). You'll likely be able to find someone willing to trade extra Victinis though (like me), who have extras from their Japanese copies.

PounchEnvy said:
Maybe it's because I wanted a quadrupedal, ground-type fire starter.

I don't know anymore. Snivy doesn't seem like a good Pokemon, I don't really like Tepig's evo line, and I've never really enjoyed Water starters outside of Swampert.

How is Oshawott in this game?

Oshawott is the best in-game, in my opinion. He is right at the manageable speed margin for in-game for me, and he can serve as an HM slave while actually being able to attack with them (Waterfall, Surf, Strength, Rock Smash, Dive, Cut). He's the most powerful early on as well, with Razor Shell and Dewott's pretty powerful attack stats for a stage 2.

Fewr

Zefah said:
The collector's edition is Volume 1 + the Unova Pokédex (which normally won't be included until volume 2), as well as a really cool hardcover. You can take off the lenticular thing if you don't like it, and there is some really nice etched art of Reshiram and Zekrom underneath. For such a small price difference, you should definitely go for the collector's edition.
Ok, collector's edition will be bought tomorrow.

Emitan

WiiRevolution1 said:
I havent decided on a starter but for the first time ever I might pick Oshowatt (because she looks the coolest) and not evolve it.

Yea not evolving it will make the game harder but the evolutions of all of the starters look bad. (Except Snivy hers look somewhat decent)
You think my avatar looks bad? Let's fight. I hate Osha's final form. He turns from a badass otter into a narwhal. WTF

Emitan

FTH said:
Ok so I think I forgot how breeding works..

To breed a starter, do you just need it alone? I thought you needed another Pokemon with it in Day Care or whatever? If you need another pokemon, can it be any pokemon or what?
The starter has to be female and you need another Pokemon capable of breeding with it (that's male, obviously)

Reknoc

Urgh couldn't resist and ended up picking Black up today. Picked Oshowatt because he's adorable and the best character in the anime.

daffy

Banned
EvilMario said:
You'll need another Pokemon with it. And your starter will have to be Female, unless you have a Ditto. A Ditto can fill in for either gender.

As for what Pokemon it can breed with, you can trail and error it by seeing how they get along by talking to the Daycare Man (ie; they prefer other Pokemon, they won't breed). Or you can check out Serebii and see the Pokemon in the Egg Groups that match up with it. (Ground and Plant)
Ah, I see, thank you. If I don't get a female starter when I choose the first time, can I go back and hit new game until I do? Or is that set in stone for each copy?

Kurtofan

EvilMario said:
Evolve him as soon as possible. He doesn't learn any other moves unevolved, and actually doesn't learn any moves later in his evolved form either (which is a bit odd).
Great, I thought he looked ugly but his evolution is badass!

So anyone can help me evolve my Gurrdurr into Conkeldurr via trade?

Friend code is 4255 2734 6632!

Emitan

FTH said:
Ah, I see, thank you. If I don't get a female starter when I choose the first time, can I go back and hit new game until I do? Or is that set in stone for each copy?
Fuck, no. Just keep restarting till you get a female. I think the games usually have your starter have a 75% chance of being male for some reason which sucks for breeding.

Teknoman

D-Pad said:
Whoa! Deja vu...

Also I didn't know Celebi was required for that stupid event! I never got it. :mad:

lol yeah, not sure how that got posted twice. Guess I had more than one window open.

KingK

My Amazon expected deliver date is Tuesday the 8th. I won't be able to play it until Thursday evening though because of a bunch of exams. It's gonna be so hard staring at it on my desk and not playing it for two days!

Also, I was planning on starting with Snivy because its final evo looks the coolest, but is he really that bad? I guess Oshawott would be my second choice because I don't want another fire/fight type. I really wish they had made Oshawott's evo a bipedal water/fight type otter and Tepig's final form a quadrupedal Fire/Ground boar.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Pyrokai said:
Yeah, I just got mine today! I think it actually goes until tomorrow....
It was only on for a day in London and I was busy. How stupid is that? Very.

OMG Aero

Kurtofan said:
Great, I thought he looked ugly but his evolution is badass!

So anyone can help me evolve my Gurrdurr into Conkeldurr via trade?

Friend code is 4255 2734 6632!
If no-one else has helped you yet I can.
I need to trade my Boldore to evolve it into a Gigalith so we can trade them back and forth. My friend code is 0303-8952-5471.

KingK said:
My Amazon expected deliver date is Tuesday the 8th. I won't be able to play it until Thursday evening though because of a bunch of exams. It's gonna be so hard staring at it on my desk and not playing it for two days!

I feel your pain. I wish i had just gone to gamestop and preordered it.

Merovin

EvilMario said:
Snivy ends up with the best speed out of all the starters, by far. But it is very weak early on compared to the others. You really need good TMs for it to be used fully, mostly Swords Dance and Leaf Blade (learned) naturally. The other two starters have much higher attacks in all regards right off the bat though, and don't even need to setup to deal damage (although they both can as well).

Snivy definitely needs a hand early on, and many people will opt for Grass types that can learn Sleep Powder/Spore.

I am quite looking forward to Leaf Blade. Should make things a lot better. What do you reckon? (And the rest of GAF?) Keep Snivy, or swap out for either Leavanny or Lillgant? Totally unsure what to do. I play to have that bug/electric thing as well, if that sways the decision in anyway.

Edit:-

To help with the decision making, here is my planned team;

gUIrB.png

Obviously, the water guy will be decided dependent on whether or not fossils can still be held items this gen, will come from my Black version if so.

Plasmid

Hey guys, what events have there been for Pokemon Black and White? I know about the shiny dogs but i didn't get to get them. Is there anyway i can get them so i can the zoroark event or anything else related?

Thanks <3.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Plasmid said:
Hey guys, what events have there been for Pokemon Black and White? I know about the shiny dogs but i didn't get to get them. Is there anyway i can get them so i can the zoroark event or anything else related?

Thanks <3.
Well I suppose someone could set up of those WiFi servers to distribute event Pokemon people have missed.

Plasmid

BGBW said:
Well I suppose someone could set up of those WiFi servers to distribute event Pokemon people have missed.

Ahh, my internet in my dorm is shit, and my ds can't connect to the wireless internet, i guess ill have to do it in a public place.

Emitan

BGBW said:
I've missed every single WiFi event ever because somehow they always occur when I'm taking a Pokemon break. I'd love this.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
For those passing up Tepig, Vinicti is available pretty soon into the game (if you download the pass), and he has an amazing movepool typical of Psychic types.

Billychu said:
I've missed every single WiFi event ever because somehow they always occur when I'm taking a Pokemon break. I'd love this.

If I'm not mistaken, it is possible to obtain the .nds files that create the local wifi signals used in distribution events.

Possible anyway, not necessarily legitimately.

Kurtofan

OMG Aero said:
If no-one else has helped you yet I can.
I need to trade my Boldore to evolve it into a Gigalith so we can trade them back and forth. My friend code is 0303-8952-5471.
Oh sorry man, I already traded but if you still need this I can do it anyway for completion's sake.

Would this be a good first pokemon game? I've never played any except a bit of Blue back when I was a kid.

For a series that targets primarily kids I must admit I'm pretty overwhelmed by all the info in the OT.

Emitan

BannedEpisode said:
If I'm not mistaken, it is possible to obtain the .nds files that create the local wifi signals used in distribution events.

Possible anyway, not necessarily legitimately.
I'm not sure if that's necessary. I think you can use PokeSAV to recreate the even Pokemon and host a false GTS server and anyone who wants the Pokemon can change their DS's DNS settings to connect to the fake GTS and get that Pokemon.

VoteForPedro said:
Would this be a good first pokemon game? I've never played any except a bit of Blue back when I was a kid.

For a series that targets primarily kids I must admit I'm pretty overwhelmed by all the info in the OT.
Apparently this is like a "rebirth" of Pokemon or some crap, so I think it'd be perfect for you. lol

Victini makes me feel better about choosing Snivy :x

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
VoteForPedro said:

This would be as good as any title, maybe the best. It has incredible polish, access to nearly every Pokemon, and has a gigantic list of after game goodies to keep you coming back.

Pokemon can be enjoyed on many levels. There's a lot of 'hidden' information in the game that can make it very complex, and rewarding.. especially as a competitive metagame. It can be enjoyed just as easily in a casual nature though, as most people will take this route.

Suairyu

Banned
This is incredible. I'm loving this game. As others have said, everything things familiar yet brand new all at once. Massive leap from Red :p Just beat the first gym leader.

If I have one nitpick it's that the battle sprites of your own Pokemon are very pixelated, like they were designed to be the same size as the opponent's Pokemon for whatever reason. This I dislike, but it is a small complaint.

But UGH. Time to teach somebody cut. Hate this moment. Debating the pros and cons of just giving it to Snivy for now. It'd be a good normal-attack replacement for tackle, I guess; so not a total loss.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Suairyu said:
This is incredible. I'm loving this game. As others have said, everything things familiar yet brand new all at once. Massive leap from Red :p Just beat the first gym leader.

If I have one nitpick it's that the battle sprites of your own Pokemon are very pixelated, like they were designed to be the same size as the opponent's Pokemon for whatever reason. This I dislike, but it is a small complaint.

But UGH. Time to teach somebody cut. Hate this moment. Debating the pros and cons of just giving it to Snivy for now. It'd be a good normal-attack replacement for tackle, I guess; so not a total loss.

Pro: Snivy has a very small movepool, but even more so early on. By the time you're ready to teach it more awesome moves, you'll have access to the Move Deleter. And then you're saving someone else from Cut.

Con: It's Cut.

OMG Aero

Suairyu said:

I wouldn't teach Cut to your starter, from what I've heard, HMs in this game are primarily for optional stuff so it would just be a waste of a move slot until you get to the deleter.
I'm at the fourth gym now and I haven't even seen any cut trees aside from the one in the Dreamyard so far.

Snivy reminds me a lot about Piplup in terms of its movepool. It generally sucked raising the thing... until you got access to Bubblebeam, and Empoleon.

Still love Empoleon regardless. Penguins for life!

UberTag

Normally I'm not a fan of water-based starters but Oshawott's got a few other things going for him that haven't been mentioned yet.

Most gens bring a zillion new water-based pokes to the equation but they seem comparably sparse this go around. If you exclude legendaries, there's only one more water Pokémon than fire. Even the cool looking crocodile isn't a Water-type.

And their special attacks are all underwhelming. The only new critter that matches up with a well-trained Samurott is Keldeo... and as an event giveaway who knows when he'll be attainable.

The other detail I'll mention is that if you're an anime afficionado, the only way you'll get to face Cilan in battle is by having Oshawott as your starter. Plus, your rivals get color coordinating monkeys if you go that route as well.

Teknoman

VoteForPedro said:

Its like Mario, Smash, Metroid, or any Nintendo franchise. Its enjoyable by all age groups and different skill levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom