• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon CEO seemingly confirms NX is a console/handheld hybrid

Schnozberry

I don't know if someone ask this, but is it possible to Nintendo utilize some kind of next gen upscale, like the Ps4 pro did?

The Pro uses that chessboard upscale to make their 2K games run like 4K, the double.

Maybe Nintendo can use some similar upscale to double the 720p to 1440p.

That in a 1080p screen can look very close to native 1080p, no?

If the NX uses Nvidia's Pascal architecture, it will have tile based rendering and the ability to use whatever temporal upscaling and image reconstruction techniques are made available in modern engines.

Whether or not the NX Dock will have any kind of reprojection hardware if any remains to be seen, but it's not impossible.

We've basically known for a while that it's for real a hybrid, so continuing to see people acting like it isn't something we already know about NX is kinda strange.

Unless someone doubts the validity of quite a few leaks from trusted sources, which I get.

But the thing is a hybrid. The fact that they want to have a single unified platform and library is painfully obvious.

I remember when they said it wasn't a hybrid lol

You remember when they said the goal of reorganizing their development divisions was to build an architecture for software development and not just a single machine.

You don't remember them saying that the first device they were going to make wasn't going to support both handheld and TV-connected form factors because they never talked about the first device they were going to make at that time.

trutrutru

What the hell lol. How do people get confirmation of hybrid from that. Could just be referring to the experiences you get on traditionally handheld or console devices. Could just be a shared library statement.

Dont get me twisted, despite not wanting it to be, i do believe the nx will end up a hybrid. But people taking this quote as confirmation need to chill. It can be read different ways, and im sure it was pharased that way on purpose

ggx2ac

What the hell lol. How do people get confirmation of hybrid from that. Could just be referring to the experiences you get on traditionally handheld or console devices. Could just be a shared library statement.

Dont get me twisted, despite not wanting it to be, i do believe the nx will end up a hybrid. But people taking this quote as confirmation need to chill. It can be read different ways, and im sure it was pharased that way on purpose

“The NX is trying to change the concept of what it means to be a home console device or a hand-held device,” said Mr. Ishihara.

The funny thing is, everyone is focusing too hard on the 'or' statement and not noticing the part where NX is trying to change the concept of hardware, not shared software as it was not mentioned.

Ergo, the concept of a gaming device changes by being a hybrid as it is not purely a home console, nor a portable.

Of course I am open to rebuttals.

Diffense

This doesn't confirm a single combined device. NX could still have multiple form factors but Pokemon would work on both the handheld and home console as they'll have the same application programming interface. This is still a way in which the lines between the handheld and the home console would be blurred.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
This doesn't confirm a single combined device. NX could still have multiple form factors but Pokemon would work on both the handheld and home console as they'll have the same application programming interface. This is still a way in which the lines between the handheld and the home console would be blurred.

Do you have a filter for the word "device"?

How would a common game change the concept of the devices when you have already a SSB for Wii U and 3ds and you have Wii U games ported to 3ds?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I don't understand how this:

the concept of what it means to be a home console device or a hand-held device

can be understand in any other way than referring to hardware.

What it means to be a home console device? To be a box that connects to a TV and has a controller and runs games out of the box.

You don't change that concept just because the games are different. Or because there is also a hand-held that plays the same games. Or if the console has some kind of interaction with smartphones like some famous twitter accounts are claiming. Shocking news: some consoles already have some interactions with smartphones, they're still home consoles.

Now, if you can take that box with you, attach the controllers to it and continue playing the same game on the way, that changes the concept.

True Fire

It's time

b53e1f4b1265d7d797f01c521b864280d98f7fc300117fce16db1357fddfc027.jpg

I'll see you in 2030 bruh LOL

Boney

Banned

What it means to be a home console device? To be a box that connects to a TV and has a controller and runs games out of the box.

You don't change that concept just because the games are different. Or because there is also a hand-held that plays the same games. Or if the console has some kind of interaction with smartphones like some famous twitter accounts are claiming. Shocking news: some consoles already have some interactions with smartphones, they're still home consoles.

Now, if you can take that box with you, attach the controllers to it and continue playing the same game on the way, that changes the concept.

🐝
PSP-Go-FL-Open.jpg

I'm joking of course but it does fit your description to a t

Tangentially related but did they always opt not to make full fledged traditional Pokemon games on previous Nintendo consoles because they decided independent of Nintendo not to or would Nintendo be able to demand one be made but decided not to?

Or is this a question without an answer because no one is quite sure of how the internal politics/decision making behind Nintendo quite works.

Tangentially related but did they always opt not to make full fledged traditional Pokemon games on previous Nintendo consoles because they decided independent of Nintendo not to or would Nintendo be able to demand one be made but decided not to?

Or is this a question without an answer because no one is quite sure of how the internal politics/decision making behind Nintendo quite works.
I guess they always thought it would sell better on portables while costing less. Time spent working on a console pokemon would be time taken away from a portable one as well.
Doesn't seem to work on Nintendo's best interests, I'd imagine a Wii Pokemon game would've sold multiple millions of copies, but yeah.
NX would solve this so they don't have to choose

I don't understand either but most of the people getting a different/wrong interpretation are so emotionally invested in the NX being a powerful console that they can't turn back no matter how much evidence tells them it's a hybrid. They've been at it for months so even this can't turn them. I'm not sure what they will do after this thing gets revealed.

ggx2ac

How would a joint architecture change the concept of what it means to be a portable or a home console?

It's the same thing that made me lose brain cells when someone tried to convince me that the WSJ articles were being misinterpreted and that somehow, two, two separate gaming devices, that act independent of each other but, if they communicate with each other, it is somehow a hybrid.

Which means that Sony have had hybrids since the PS3 with PSP and Vita because they communicate with the PS3.

Oh, how could I forget, the GBA communicated with the GameCube using a cable.

Um, maybe I'm being a bit too nitpicky, but if this was a clue of the NX being a hybrid, why didn't he say "console AND handheld" instead of "console or handheld"?

trutrutru

The funny thing is, everyone is focusing too hard on the 'or' statement and not noticing the part where NX is trying to change the concept of hardware, not shared software as it was not mentioned.

Ergo, the concept of a gaming device changes by being a hybrid as it is not purely a home console, nor a portable.

Of course I am open to rebuttals.
Quote indicates changing the concept of what IT MEANS to be a home console or handheld device.

It would be a far more definitive statement if he had replaced the word "means" with "is". "Is" would indicate we are talking specifically about the devices/hardware itself. The use of the word "means" (to me, anyway) gives room for it to be anything that can be used to define those kind of products, and is not limited to what a home sonsole or portable actually is.

For someone like me, aside from them being portable or not, what has defined these devices are the kind of experiences found on each. Different types of games have suited each kind of device better, one way or another. I can interpret said quote as there being no seperation anymore. All kind of games, under one platform.

ggx2ac

lol, I'm going to be at this all night and until the NX is revealed.

Edit: I am referring to another post, not the person who quoted me.

How would a joint architecture change the concept of what it means to be a portable or a home console?

It does actually increase the number of devices that can access a particular piece of content, which on the user's side changes the relationship they have with their devices.

You no longer have one device for one slice of content, another device for another slice of content, and some content shared. You just have a big bucket of content and a bunch of choices for how you want to experience it. That's different than how Nintendo has traditionally approached handhelds and consoles.

Where the problem arises is that inevitably the answer to a multi-device architecture where it's just the same games on console and handheld, running at different specs, is that you get something that's virtually identical to what Sony and developers supporting their hardware are already doing:

- Three devices: PS Vita, PS4, PS4 Pro
- Some software developed for all three with virtually the same experience across all
- Pretty much all software available across all through Remote Play
- Some software developed for only PS4 with virtually the same experience on PS4 and PS4 Pro
- Some software developed with special enhancements on PS4 Pro

No matter how scalable your architecture is, inevitably the results that are possible are going to be limited by the performance of each device. And that means some software will inevitably be left behind, or some results are going to be toned down on lower-spec hardware.

So unless Nintendo's literally copying Sony's model with Vita/PS4/Pro (which as others have stated would not be a change from the industry status quo at all given that cross-buy is already a thing across handhelds and consoles), we're going to see something where the relationship between the devices themselves has changed in some way, not just the model for developing software.

And the best answer for that is that you have a device that itself supports a bunch of different form factors and play environments, not a bunch of discrete devices that just share the same pool of software.

I think Nintendo is actually likely to release more than one piece of hardware at one point or another. But, as Satoru Iwata said, they have no idea yet whether one device will be sufficient or whether the market will demand more devices with different configurations.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Um, maybe I'm being a bit too nitpicky, but if this was a clue of the NX being a hybrid, why didn't he say "console AND handheld" instead of "console or handheld"?

Read this:
change the concept of what it means to be a home console device and a hand-held device

Does this makes more sense to you?

In the context "or" is the right word. Unless you want to change the concept of an existing hybrid.

Diffense

Do you have a filter for the word "device"?

How would a common game change the concept of the devices when you have already a SSB for Wii U and 3ds and you have Wii U games ported to 3ds?

Pokemon is not changing the concept of devices. However, saying that "NX is trying to change the concept of what it means to be a home console device or a hand-held device" does not mean that NX is one device that's both. It could be but this is hardly confirmation. NX could very well be a family of compatible devices with a single programming interface so that handheld games automatically run on the home console as well. That way, even though Pokemon is typically made for portables only, the developers would get a home console version basically for free. They would be building mainly for the NX platform rather than for particular home console or portable. That's very different from creating two separate games for two different devices as with SSB3DS and WiiU.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Pokemon is not changing the concept of devices. However, saying that "NX is trying to change the concept of what it means to be a home console device or a hand-held device" does not mean that NX is one device that's both. It could be but this is hardly confirmation. NX could very well be a family of compatible devices with a single programming interface so that handheld games automatically run on the home console as well. That way, even though Pokemon is typically made for portables only, the developers would get a home console version basically for free. They would be building mainly for the NX platform rather than for particular home console or portable. That's very different from creating two separate games for two different devices as with SSB3DS and WiiU.

How does a family of devices change the concept of what it means to be a home console device? Sony had already a family of devices, I see no change in that concept.

ggx2ac

Quote indicates changing the concept of what IT MEANS to be a home console or handheld device.

It would be a far more definitive statement if he had replaced the word "means" with "is". "Is" would indicate we are talking specifically about the devices/hardware itself. The use of the word "means" (to me, anyway) gives room for it to be anything that can be used to define those kind of products, and is not limited to what a home sonsole or portable actually is.

For someone like me, aside from them being portable or not, what has defined these devices are the kind of experiences found on each. Different types of games have suited each kind of device better, one way or another. I can interpret said quote as there being no seperation anymore. All kind of games, under one platform.

Please, read the statement in full.

“The NX is trying to change the concept of what it means to be a home console device or a hand-held device,” said Mr. Ishihara.

Your 'is' statement is right there. It is changing what it means to be a gaming device.

If you wanted a definitive statement, it would have been easier for him to reveal the NX then and there. So you can clearly see why he can't give away what the NX is.

By the by, how does having a shared library change the concept of gaming devices? It's not unique, the PS3/PS4/Vita have all had the same games ported to each other. Same deal for Apple devices.

Caffeine

You remember when they said the goal of reorganizing their development divisions was to build an architecture for software development and not just a single machine.

You don't remember them saying that the first device they were going to make wasn't going to support both handheld and TV-connected form factors because they never talked about the first device they were going to make at that time.

ye that sounds about right.

Diffense

How does a family of devices change the concept of what it means to be a home console device? Sony had already a family of devices, I see no change in that concept.

Context is important:

“The NX is trying to change the concept of what it means to be a home console device or a hand-held device,” said Mr. Ishihara. “We will make games for the NX.”

If he's speaking from the perspective of whether Pokemon games will be made for NX and they are primarily targetting a platform rather than a particular portable device then I would say that the concept has changed for Pokemon company. Which actual device the game runs one will not be all that important (though they could enable certain features for one or the other).

ye that sounds about right.

I forgot to add that you also didn't hear about them planning to develop other devices because Satoru Iwata went out of his way to say that Nintendo has no idea whether they'll even be needed.

But even if NX is just one thing, they'll still have fixed their biggest problem because inevitably there'll be a next-generation device and moving to that next-generation device won't be such a challenge.

Whether we will ultimately need just one device will be determined by what consumers demand in the future, and that is not something we know at the moment. However, we are hoping to change and correct the situation in which we develop games for different platforms individually and sometimes disappoint consumers with game shortages as we attempt to move from one platform to another, and we believe that we will be able to deliver tangible results in the future.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Context is important:

If he's speaking from the perspective of whether Pokemon games will be made for NX and they are primarily targetting a platform rather than a particular portable device then I would say that the concept has changed for Pokemon company.

Those are two different statements. They are not even in the same quote or quoted in the same phrase. You're grasping at straws and not answering.

Diffense

Those are two different statements. They are not even in the same quote. You're grasping at straws and not answering.

I don't have access to the whole article so I'm making do with the snippets posted here. My impression is that Ishihara was talking about Pokemon not NX (which is likely still NDA'ed) so his comments about NX were incidental. Therefore I consider the context of the interview to be Pokemon development and how it will proceed in the future.

ggx2ac

I don't have access to the whole article so I'm making do with the snippets posted here.

Edit:

It's not working.

Copy the headline below and put it into Google. It will give you a whole article version to read.

Pokémon to Create Games for Nintendo’s Next System

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I don't have access to the whole article so I'm making do with the snippets posted here. My impression is that Ishihara was talking about Pokemon not NX (which is likely still NDA'ed) so his comments about NX were incidental. Therefore I consider the context of the interview to be Pokemon development and how it will proceed in the future.

This is the full NX related context:

WSJ said:
With higher global awareness of the characters, fans and analysts have been watching whether Pokémon Co. would roll out its games on new platforms such as Nintendo’s next game system, code-named NX, which Nintendo has said it would start selling by March 2017. People familiar with the matter have said NX could be used both as a console with a television set and as a hand-held device.

“The NX is trying to change the concept of what it means to be a home console device or a hand-held device,” said Mr. Ishihara. “We will make games for the NX.”

He declined to say whether the games would be available when the NX hardware first goes on sale.

Clefargle

I see we are back where we started. Arguing about the definition of "Hybrid". I am hopeful that whichever way they mean it, we will see a well designed console concept from nintendo. Whether it turns out to be a series of devices with or without a 100% shared library. Either way I could see them pulling off a well thought out system. Thats what I hope for.

thefro

I see we are back where we started. Arguing about the definition of "Hybrid". I am hopeful that whichever way they mean it, we will see a well designed console concept from nintendo. Whether it turns out to be a series of devices with or without a 100% shared library. Either way I could see them pulling off a well thought out system. Thats what I hope for.

Yeah, I think it'll be well thought out. Hopefully we hear about media invites soon, because logically we should be 3 weeks or so out.

Diffense

This is the full NX related context:

It's an article about the future of Pokemon which naturally touches on Nintendo's future hardware given the connection between the franchise and Nintendo.

Anyway, given that we still don't know what Nintendo is actually calling NX I don't think one can assume that NX's "changing the concept of what's a home console and handheld" means it's one device that's both. If there is no fundamental distinction between handheld games and console games anymore (because different form factors run the same games) I would say that the concept has changed if I were a developer that typically made handheld games only.

How about you get older and subscribe to the WSJ like an adult?

This would imply all adults subscribe to WSJ, which is obviously nonsense.

Top Bottom