• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon CEO seemingly confirms NX is a console/handheld hybrid

Raven77

What does it matter? Hype almost leads to disappointment. The NX exists, Nintendo has said as much. I'm sure you and everyone else has things to do in their lives in the meantime.

One day you will awake, and the NX will be officially revealed. Imagine that.

I think you're missing my point. If i'm a big Nintendo fan and my hype is at next to zero for how they are handling this, I would imagine i'm not alone. I want Nintendo to succeed so the way they are going about things has me concerned. That's all.

saher

Banned
I like where this is going because each generation i have to choose between their handheld or console, i always miss on a lot of games.

This needed to happen long time ago

Look Nintendo, I'm tired. If it wasn't for Pokémon Go, I would had quit gaming since the only console I own is a Wii U and haven't played the thing in months. So please just reveal this damn device just so I can fully go back into this hobby before it's too late!! I'm overreacting but what else can we do after 9 months of rumors and speculations??
Proposal: play other games, don't define your hobby solely by marketing cycles.

It's going to be stretching it to continue to call it a hybrid once it's revealed I think, I'm really not expecting anything other than a fairly competent handheld with HDMI out, except maybe the use of external controllers.

Calling it a hybrid is really just Nintendo trying to get non-handheld console fans interested in what is in reality their next handheld, just marketing fluff IMO.

I guess. When it is docked and hooked up to your TV, isn't it technically a console though? Especially if you aren't using the device itself to play. If it was just an HDMI cable tethering the device to the monitor, I'd agree with you, but that doesn't seem to be the case with NX. I think they want people to genuinely think of it as something that could be both. If it is done seamlessly enough, I don't see any reason why they couldn't achieve that.

Also, the convergence of game libraries only strengthens their case.

Hydrus

Ewww that's a terrible artstyle. I'd prefer a 3D cel-shaded Pokémon game.

Cel-shaded is nasty. It makes everything look so dull and lifeless. They need to go with nice colorful 3D pokken artstyle.

2991608-pokken.jpg

MuchoMalo

Banned
Cel-shaded is nasty. It makes everything look so dull and lifeless. They need to go with nice colorful 3D pokken artstyle.

2991608-pokken.jpg

I don't think that fits with the tone of main-series Pokemon games. It would also be pretty hard to make the 900+ models there would be by Gen 8. They should stick to cel shading, but with more saturation.

2991608-pokken.jpg

Pokken Tournament is a beautiful game, but the look is too smooth and shiny for a 3D Pokémon main series game. Like someone else said, upping the resolution of the S&M artstyle would probably look amazing on a big screen.

Look Nintendo, I'm tired. If it wasn't for Pokémon Go, I would had quit gaming since the only console I own is a Wii U and haven't played the thing in months. So please just reveal this damn device just so I can fully go back into this hobby before it's too late!! I'm overreacting but what else can we do after 9 months of rumors and speculations??

I quit gaming quite some time now and I don't regret it. However, Nintendo is the only company that is capable to refresh my interest for gaming again, so I hope NX delivers.

Oddduck

Yea that was a really bold prediction by Emily that there wouldn't be a reveal this week. She put her reputation on the line there.

Honestly, I think she's done a decent job reporting on NX so far. (As long as her info pans out)

Back in May, she reported that the system wasn't x86 architecture, Nvidia was involved, and it was below PS4/XB1 in power.

And she was the first person to report on a 720p multi-touch touchscreen.

Firecrest

Yes, water is wet.

In other words, this means everyone will finally get the Pokemon console game they've spent twenty years asking for? :p

I'd imagine this'll also bode well for Nintendo on the NPD charts, being that their handhelds continue to be top-sellers. Now they can consolidate those sales into one platform and have bragging rights if they emerge #1 each month.

... Granted all the pieces fall into the right places.

Davey Cakes

If it weren't for the 3DS being an ancient piece of tech, I imagine merely upping the resolution would benefit Sun & Moon (and all the other 3DS Pokemon games) greatly.

TAS

If they would have revealed the NX, it would be likely they would incorporate elements of what the NX does and use it as their own. It's happened multiple times in the past.

Very true..but you can bet your bottom dollar if NX is a hit, the next generation of hardware from the competition will incorporate a hybrid device as well. Nintendo is the wild card in the gaming industry--with the ability to change everything with just one idea. That makes them dangerous and forces its competitors to be on standby with the copy button.

Soriku

I mean literally every rumor was pointing to this right? Anyway I'm excited not to buy two new systems. Even if the NX doesn't do that well, I think the library will be quite good.

CronoShot

Aren't the actual Pokemon models pretty high quality, and are just scaled down to the 3DS?

It shouldn't be too hard of a transition to make.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The spin that the AMD/separate console and handheld guys on Twitter are doing right now is absolutely hilarious. They mad.

A huge Pokemon game where you could visit all of the regions and work your way through them would sell like tequila on spring break. Literally everyone is going to want it.

Hermii

Honestly, I think she's done a decent job reporting on NX so far. (As long as her info pans out)

Back in May, she reported that the system wasn't x86 architecture, Nvidia was involved, and it was below PS4/XB1 in power.

And she was the first person to report on a 720p multi-touch touchscreen.
I have nothing against Emily, I like her. Just not in a good mood today.

TrutaS

I am totally onboard with the concept if it's well executed. I've always had to opt for the handheld but felt sorry to miss a few console exclusives, getting every Nintendo and JRPG product in a single handheld that I can choose to connect to the tv is just perfect.

AdanVC

Source? :)

Edit:

Dang man, buy a cheap 2DS. Tons of games and should be able to find one extremely cheap.

I actually have a 3DS but haven't played it literally in years :( I might get Pokemon Sun/Moon so there's that at least! But yeah considering the big drought of games on Wii U I might end up playing 3DS again!

Proposal: play other games, don't define your hobby solely by marketing cycles.

I do but money is a bit limited right now :( I'm actually thinking on getting a PS4 during black friday for The Last Guardian and FFXV because Wii U will not have nothing other than Paper Mario this holiday...

I quit gaming quite some time now and I don't regret it. However, Nintendo is the only company that is capable to refresh my interest for gaming again, so I hope NX delivers.

Fingers crossed for that. After the PS4 Pro reveal, I think Nintendo has high possibilities of wowing the masses with this hybrid concept and bring back all the people who are tired of gaming as it is right now.They just need to deliver a clear message of what it is and what can be done with it since day one.

I like how this scenario forces them to get with the times now and make a game that doesnt look like it was released more than 3 generations ago.
Or maybe they go the cheap route and still make the main games look ancient in comparison to the rest of the games that will release on that system, who knows.

At least they seem to have tried to evolve with sun and moon into the start of the ps2 gen lol

BowieZ

Banned
He said more features were planned for “Pokémon Go,” including player-to-player battles and character trades. But these features will come slowly to avoid overwhelming entry-level players, he added.
How about speeding up the release of these features to avoid overwhelming exit-level players.

udivision

I like how this scenario forces them to get with the times now and make a game that doesnt look like it was released more than 3 generations ago.
Or maybe they go the cheap route and still make the main games look ancient in comparison to the rest of the games that will release on that system, who knows.

At least they seem to have tried to evolve with sun and moon into the start of the ps2 gen lol
It doesn't really force them to do anything. I'm sure they'd rather not inflate the budgets of all their games.

And yes, in a lot of ways Pokémon just reached the early 2000s.

NX-Gaf, if Nintendo is truly making a Nintendo tablet, would it be possible to have a stylus that has the same level of response as the 3DS/DS touch screen? Also how cool would it be if Nintendo brought back PictoChat !? <3

javadoze

Even the Pokemon CEO is all like "reveal it already". Nice to have some more official confirmation though.

The spin that the AMD/separate console and handheld guys on Twitter are doing right now is absolutely hilarious. They mad.

Oh dear...

I can't look away from this impending trainwreck.

Who bets that even when the NX does get revealed, they're still in denial?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
So the next Pokemon update is October 4th.

Everyone expecting an October 4th reveal for the NX, wanna change your bets?

Actually, do we have a list of all the dates of Pokémon Sun&Moon updates?

Mediking

Every now and then I remember that there are people who only play on Nintendo platforms like you.

Top Bottom