• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 2: "This is the Real Power of Johto..."

It has its own quirky charm to it. He kind of reminds me of Baby Yoshi.

Thank goodness new page, trying to reload the last one was a killer.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Totodile is a boss. Kinda sucked in Gold/Silver but is unquestionably the best starter move wise in HG/SS, though not actually the best in game as Cyndaquil got the Charizard bump and has the easiest path to the Elite Four ever.

Picking Cyndaquil is like picking a moxie scrafty in gen 5 as your starter.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I very nearly spent an hour at lunch today composing the top 100 johto pokémon which poor Chikorita would have topped by a landslide.

The only worse starter is Pikachu but it's not like you get a choice on that one. Hell a Yellow remake with a Light ball Pikachu would probably fair better! (You'd need a Stadium 1 remake to teach him surf as well though!)

Chikorita has a really bad record against the Johto gym leaders. He's weak to the first two, though they themselves are gigantic pushovers who don't use anywhere near the best pokémon of their type. He's a great choice against Whitney with Protect and no weakness to Rollout. Technically weak to Morty's poison type though Morty doesn't use it. Neutral to Chuck, Neutral to Jasmine though a decent enough choice to beat Steelix, Weak to Pryce, Neutral to bad against Claire.

Stage On

I don't actually hate Totodile, but Croconaw is an abomination.

But Totodile has a badass final evolution that's more attack orientated then the defensive orientated Blastoise.

It's Mudkip that has the worst final form for a Water starter. Being Water/Ground gives him a near crippling weakness to grass types.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
In game Mudkip gets sort of a break in that all the wild and most of the trainer grass types are really early.

It has to deal with a whole crapload of shaky level up moves though. Decently powered moves with bad accuracy.

But Totodile has a badass final evolution that's more attack orientated then the defensive orientated Blastoise.

It's Mudkip that has the worst final form for a Water starter. Being Water/Ground gives him a near crippling weakness to grass types.

As bad as Torterra and it's awful weakness to ice?

Wiseblade

When was the last time Grass Types mattered?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Err, grass types are in fact on the upswing this generation mainly because of their use on and countering weather effects and the fact that they released a really good one this gen and that the water/ground pokemon not named swampert have been gaining ground.

They still have major problems but they are seeing more use.

balddemon

Banned
wow N's Zekrom gave 10140 experience points to my lvl 67 Haxorus that ohko'd it with outrage. just imagine if haxxy had the lucky egg too!

Wiseblade

You just love being wrong don't you?

iQWNsviW2WULZ.gif

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Black 2 has a medal for beating the Champion with a single Pokémon.

I'll use Megani...Scrafty or something else like it.

I can beat Red with just a Meganium though.

MikeMyers

Meganium can take Pikachu, Blastoise, and Venusaur (no Sludge Bomb for him in GSC)...Charizard is probably the hardest fight for Meganium.

balddemon

Banned
just use haxorus. i swear that pokemon is like hax. i got one with 31 in attack and it has 226 attack at lvl 68 lol. 2 dragon dances and then dragon claw sweeps everythang

Just beat Black 2 Elite 4 + Champion on my second try. Maybe it was because I grinded around victory road for a while, but it felt like this one was easier than in the past games.

Fun stuff though! Any recommendations on post-E4 stuff?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Just beat Black 2 Elite 4 + Champion on my second try. Maybe it was because I grinded around victory road for a while, but it felt like this one was easier than in the past games.

Fun stuff though! Any recommendations on post-E4 stuff?

Head out towards Black City first and fight those trainers, they are slightly lower level then the rest of the post game nonsense. After that clear out Clay's Tunnel and those routes, then go and do the routes where Black 1 began. After that you should be high enough level to fight Cynthia/N/Alder.

Head out towards Black City first and fight those trainers, they are slightly lower level then the rest of the post game nonsense. After that clear out Clay's Tunnel and those routes, then go and do the routes where Black 1 began. After that you should be high enough level to fight Cynthia/N/Alder.

Where did Black 1 begin?

I never played that one or DPP. Last one was HeartGold for me.

Macka

That's a damn good answer, but no.
Code:
01. Pokémon Red/Blue
02. Pokémon Fire Red/Leaf Green
03. Pokémon Black Version 2/White Version 2
04. Pokémon Black/White
05. Pokémon Heart Gold/Soul Silver
06. Pokémon Yellow
07. Pokémon Platinum
08. Pokémon Diamond/Pearl
09. Pokémon Emerald
10. Pokémon Ruby
11. Pokémon Gold/Silver
Whoa, Gold/Silver last? They don't hold up too well today, but I still remember them as the best games in the series...that said, while I might remember Gold/Silver more fondly than Ruby/Sapphire, at the end of the day I'd rather play the latter, just for the improvements. That's the reason I've never bothered with a ranking for the Pokémon games - nostalgia gets in the way too much.

Macka

You can like something old and not be biased.
At least, as long as you've played the newer entries!
I wasn't trying to say that you have to be biased to still like the older games - I love plenty of older games from other franchises and would rather play them that a lot of their newer iterations, but the Pokemon series is different. If I was to rank the games, even though I'd put Gold/Silver as the 'best' games in the series, I'd still rather play the newer games...which means I'm not really taking into account the fact that they haven't ages well at all.

This makes sense in my head, but I haven't slept yet lol.

I used to think that maybe they weren't as hot as I thought they were as a kid. But after playing more of the recent entries, I think I'm honestly just being nitpicky. Gold and Silver...and Crystal would be loved more if they incorporated more of the new Pokemon in earlier and they added a little more content to it...before the postgame.

Top Bottom