• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

I never did like Driftveil's theme. So catchy, yet so unfitting. Something tells me Ichinose was planning to do the theme originally, simply because the Driftveil Bridge theme is such a stark mid-game contrast to Nimbasa and, of course, the bridge themes usually try to prepare for a transition of some sort. I dunno.

Tsukasa Tawada needs to do more battle themes based on his work from 1992's Earth Defense Force. The Cipher Peon battle theme works on so many levels: the timpani and swift percussion gives the theme this uncanny sense of aural depth; mixing acoustic and electric strings makes for a fun contrast; and the windy feel of the whole piece is just liberating, compared to most of the other battle themes anyway.

Hitomi Sato did some great route themes in DPPt. But I never did like Route 209's music that much, mainly because the bossa nova section feels too sudden and stark for me. Some really-great ideas for route theme music that make her themes stand out so well—Ichinose, of course, did some of the most complex route themes in Gen 4 himself.

You know what I do think, though? Sato's going to be the sound director for B2/W2. Kageyama's had his turn (and the story circumstances are going to center around the legendaries for the first time ever—not to mention the notable change in tone between this sequel and the original B/W). And Ichinose needs to keep switching leadership roles around to get everyone used to the role, so he can start passing on his wisdom (which also translates to doing more tracks!).

Kokonoe

Banned
Both it and XD have quite underrated soundtracks, the more I think about it the more i'm thinking that they have some of my favourite battle themes in the series.

Both games are great too. I mean, they aren't your typical Pokemon game, but they're good in their own right. XD is a slight step down from first, but Shadow Lugia is just awesome. Makes me wish there was a Shadow Ho-Oh in the first one.

Man, the airplane I'm on has like, every episode of Pokémon Black and White. I've been watching it for 2 hours now, but I'm getting some really weird looks from the people around me.

I haven't actually seen that many dubbed episodes (I mainly watch the original Japanese airings) but the voices seem to be pretty good so far. I like Elesa and Accelguard voices the best so far, and I didn't notice that Accelguard was supposed to be "Charles: the man in love" until I watched the English version.

I haven't actually seen that many dubbed episodes (I mainly watch the original Japanese airings) but the voices seem to be pretty good so far. I like Elesa and Accelguard voices the best so far, and I didn't notice that Accelguard was supposed to be "Charles: the man in love" until I watched the English version.

wat

That's like... the entire point of the episode.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
This week's episode was ultra-forgettable. If it wasn't for the use of a character from the game and the final scene, it easily could have been filler. Unless the hero legend gets brought up again in a future episode.

Why did Cedric have Brock eyes?

At least next week, the Sunglasses Krokorok joins up with Ash. That should be fine.

EDIT: Looking up the Bulbapedia, it seems he always had those eyes. Forgive me if all I had to work off was a sprite.

wat

That's like... the entire point of the episode.

I knew he was a biker, but because the episode had come out so long after I'd finished playing both versions (plus I was watching a crappy day-2 sub that called him "Carusu"), I didn't make the connection. I don't even think Charles has an Accelgor in the game.

Both games are great too. I mean, they aren't your typical Pokemon game, but they're good in their own right. XD is a slight step down from first, but Shadow Lugia is just awesome. Makes me wish there was a Shadow Ho-Oh in the first one.

Fun but flawed, the use of only double battles was an enjoyable way to freshen things up, the main problem of course being the lack of pokemon variety, XD really screwed up by leaving so many in Citidark isle.
But yeah I enjoyed them, a shame they never made another console game with a spin on traditional pokemon gameplay.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I knew he was a biker, but because the episode had come out so long after I'd finished playing both versions (plus I was watching a crappy day-2 sub that called him "Carusu"), I didn't make the connection. I don't even think Charles has an Accelgor in the game.

I thought you meant that you didn't realize Charles in the episode was also Accelguard, lol. :p

MikeMyers

I think I found a formula that is guaranteed to secure a victory through out every game.

Just do the opposite of what Ash would do

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Fun but flawed, the use of only double battles was an enjoyable way to freshen things up, the main problem of course being the lack of pokemon variety, XD really screwed up by leaving so many in Citidark isle.
But yeah I enjoyed them, a shame they never made another console game with a spin on traditional pokemon gameplay.

XD is a landmark improvement mechanically over Colosseum. Colosseum has the advantage of being the best way to get most gen 2 pokémon into gen three, but that's about it.

The insane amount of time it takes to purify certain natures is enough to drive most sane people batshit insane while it is super streamlined in XD. A few minutes of walking around is all it takes and then you can get back to the fun parts. There is also more strategy involved in keeping said mons in shadow form for certain fights.

Colosseum also has slightly better characters.

A Gen V console three on three return to Orre would be amazing.

Kokonoe

Banned
One thing I didn't like about XD is the character design.

qNfL0.png

Kinda put me off for a bit, but it's still a great game.

Ultratech

Yeah, hated the fact that Citadark had a lot of good stuff and made me pick teeth to get goddamn everything (luckily, I only had to go back once to get all the final boss's pokes).

Lack of variety didn't exactly help either. That and the MC looks like ass when we had an awesome one for Colosseum.

Who could ever love a kid as nightmarish as...that thing Kokonoe just posted. Seriously: that's terrible character design, I feel shamed in its presence agh.

Could
n't
be worse!

Kokonoe

Banned
Pokemon Wii U, do U want it?
Who could ever love a kid as nightmarish as...that thing Kokonoe just posted. Seriously: that's terrible character design, I feel shamed in its presence agh.

Could
n't
be worse!

The arm attachment is the icing on the cake. I think I held off playing the game for 1-2 years because of the designs. First game had a very stylish main character.

Worst thing about XD kid is his crummy little scooter, okay it's not the worst because his design is just horrible but it's pretty bad.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Well in this case the downgrade from Colosseum's Super Bike to a dinky kids toy that gets stuck on sand because it isn't MAN enough.

As for Scooters in general I don't really have an opinion on them.

You should have an opinion on them, and that opinion is that they're awesome.

Conquest never ends. Conquest is eternal. Conquest has begun. Conquest is earnest...

IDK, I just post here. And I'd rather play Shining Force III to completion first, so.

Top Bottom