• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Kokonoe

Banned
edit this before graivjah sees it

Touch
ludidance.gif
get dizzy.

Kokonoe

Banned
It's not.

But seriously dude, Yoshi's Island. Yoshi's. Freakin. Island.

I wasn't serious in my original post either. I enjoyed the SNES Yoshi (although I still need to beat it), it just doesn't come anywhere close to Yoshi Story.

Not really fan of the Baby Mario aspect, and I actually played Yoshi Story first so a lot of the mechanics I liked from Story weren't in that game.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Digimon is like the Mega Blox of Pokemon. Just a shoddy knockoff that only furries really like.

I enjoyed the SNES Yoshi (although I still need to beat it), it just doesn't come anywhere close to Yoshi Story.
Why is it that all the kings I vote for end up being more horrible than me?
Oh, definitely. Never got to play Digimon World though since I didn't own a Playstation.
Eventually will some day.
Play it just for the experience. It's not really a good game at all, and it certainly hasn't held up.
Yoshi's Island is overrated.

This is why you will never be king.

Kokonoe

Banned
Why is it that all the kings I vote for end up being more horrible than me?

Play it just for the experience. It's not really a good game at all, and it certainly hasn't held up.

Everyone has their own opinion, and each and everyone's opinion is equal.

I'm sure it hasn't, but 3D Digimon still sounds appealing to me.

Everyone has their own opinion, and each and everyone's opinion is equal.

I'm sure it hasn't, but 3D Digimon still sounds appealing to me.
Don't listen to Beef. Digimon World's plenty of fun—though it's some real old-school JRPG stuff, I'll tell you that, and it takes a while to get into the groove of things.

Everyone's opinion is equal, but some arguments for certain opinions are more convincing.

Don't listen to Beef. Digimon World's plenty of fun—though it's some real old-school JRPG stuff, I'll tell you that, and it takes a while to get into the groove of things.

Everyone's opinion is equal, but some arguments for certain opinions are more convincing.

Digimon World 1 is closer to the digital pet combat system than a JRPG system. It's why I don't recommend it to anyone looking to play it to scratch a Digimon RPG itch, but rather to just say "hey I've played that game before."

EDIT: Found my write-up about some of the Digimon games.

DW3 isn't awful, and does a good job with the turn-based style of RPG fights, but the lack of any quick-travel options hurts the game badly. Not to mention it's easy to forget your next objective. I've owned the game for years, and I STILL have no clue what I'm supposed to do next.

DO NOT touch DW4. It's easily one of the worst games I've played. It tried to hook people with the X-Men Legends style of gameplay (4P co-op, leveling and equips, etc.), but it failed miserably in the execution. I couldn't get rid of the game fast enough.

The DS games are fantastic. They have a system in place similar to Pokemon's EVs, but it's even less required and much easier than Pokemon. The battles look really simplistic with barely any animations, but it's not a huge deal. Digivolving is also different from the other games. Each Digimon has a level cap that can only be raised by digivolving up or down a level. DW4 tried this system, but the game botched it by having your stats reset to 1 each time. In the DS games your stats don't reset, but they rise/fall accordingly. You can eventually max out your stats by constantly digivolving, and by putting them into your "farms" (which is the equivalent of Pokemon's PCs) where they can do individual training and raise certain stats and elements. It's very, very in-depth and also surprisingly simple.

Digimon World Championship plays kinda like Pokemon Ranger, where you control everything with the stylus, but the battles themselves are random in the sense that you only control where your team moves. You have to hope that they use the moves you have assigned them. A friend of mine who loved World DS and Dawn/Dusk didn't like Championship at all.

Yeah DW4 was brutal. I enjoyed DW1 for what it was though. I liked Pokemon Colosseum too but never actually finished it now that I think about it. Perhaps it's time.

They're not that much different, really. Both stat-heavy and adventure-focused genres, the difference being the complexity involved in raising one battle combatant to progress throughout the game world.

DW1 is definitely the best of them all.

OMG Aero

Did anyone ever try Pokemon TCG Online?
Yeah I play it from time to time.
Since it's still in beta, the client you can download right now is pretty bare bones. It has 3 difficulty settings of 12 computer opponents to battle and you can only choose from three pre-built decks that occasionally get new cards added to them as you use them. As it is right now it's a neat little time waster, but if they actually deliver on some of the things they are promising in the final version then it sounds like it could be really good.
Apparently the final version will have online multiplayer, actual deck building and a pretty interesting way of getting new cards. Basically whenever you get buy a booster pack or deck, you get a code that you can redeem for a booster pack or the cards from that deck in the game, the only thing I'm hoping is that you can earn those by playing the game because buying actual Pokemon cards is a route I don't want to go down again. On the website there is a counter for how many trainer tokens you have which are earned by playing the web games on Pokemon.com, so presumably you can use them to buy things on there which would be good.

Kokonoe

Banned
Yeah I play it from time to time.
Since it's still in beta, the client you can download right now is pretty bare bones. It has 3 difficulty settings of 12 computer opponents to battle and you can only choose from three pre-built decks that occasionally get new cards added to them as you use them. As it is right now it's a neat little time waster, but if they actually deliver on some of the things they are promising in the final version then it sounds like it could be really good.
Apparently the final version will have online multiplayer, actual deck building and a pretty interesting way of getting new cards. Basically whenever you get buy a booster pack or deck, you get a code that you can redeem for a booster pack or the cards from that deck in the game, the only thing I'm hoping is that you can earn those by playing the game because buying actual Pokemon cards is a route I don't want to go down again. On the website there is a counter for how many trainer tokens you have which are earned by playing the web games on Pokemon.com, so presumably you can use them to buy things on there which would be good.

Oh a client now? That's cool, guess I'll download it. Pokemon Cards won't ever be what they use to be since they messed everything up with the Diamond and Pearl cards, but it's still an enjoyable game to play.

I just wish I could use my energy trans Venusaur Charizard combo still.

Brock's frying pan is so great that it channels the rain directly to the frying pan.

Top Bottom