• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Teknoman

Just realized I still need to catch the other 2 fighting/**** legends, finish E4 R2, Cynthia, Game Freak Morimoto. Now I remember why I stopped playing for awhile lol.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I tried it once, got a Trapinch, which is cool and all. It loses it's Dream World ability when it evolves though...

No Levitator changes ability, sadly. Although it's such a great ability, Flygon wouldn't want to lose it and become anymore inferior to Garchomp.

1339180846052.png

:(

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I love how the game crafts Ghetsis as a great orator, even mentioned by the Sages and Shadow Triad...and yet we get in his second appearance...

"We shall bring back the hero and that Pokémon to Unova once again! If we can win people's hearts and minds, we can easily create the world that I--I mean, Team Plasma--desires!"

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I think they are moving towards a web based GTS in gen 6. They were thinking about it this gen but they stopped short when they realized it would be ruined by cheaters. 3DS remaining cheat proof will hopefully bring them back around to this.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I think they are moving towards a web based GTS in gen 6. They were thinking about it this gen but they stopped short when they realized it would be ruined by cheaters. 3DS remaining cheat proof will hopefully bring them back around to this.

Nothing is cheat proof. The 3DS remains uncracked by hackers and homebrewers, as far as I'm aware, but there's always things you can do to the internet communications.

I'm sure a website for a series that has as many OCDers as Pokemon won't remain impenetrable for long.

OMG Aero

Nothing is cheat proof. The 3DS remains uncracked by hackers and homebrewers, as far as I'm aware, but there's always things you can do to the internet communications.
Gen 6 is going to be glorious if people don't find a way to get a Pokesav or something working with the 3DS by then.

upandaway

I see people complaining about Dream World so what would you do to improve it?
Change the minigames to be actual one-on-one battles with the Pokemon you uploaded. Maybe with some gimmick if it hurts GameFreak's heart that much (say, you only have to beat the Pokemon to capture it). And let me choose the area.

That's all it needs. Maybe polish it, and make it faster, but in general just do the above and I could use it pretty consistently.

OMG Aero

couldn't they just transfer pokesav'd pokemon from the previous gen?
At the very least they wouldn't be able to pokesav new Pokemon and they wouldn't be able to give the pokesav'd Pokemon new abilities and moves unless they can give them those moves legitimately in the gen 6 game (so they could give them new TM moves but not new egg moves).
Change the minigames to be actual one-on-one battles with the Pokemon you uploaded. Maybe with some gimmick if it hurts GameFreak's heart that much (say, you only have to beat the Pokemon to capture it). And let me choose the area.

That's all it needs. Maybe polish it, and make it faster, but in general just do the above and I could use it pretty consistently.
As I've said before, even if they just changed the minigames to the ones on the Pokemon website it would dramatically improve Dream World. The majority of the Dream World minigames are just bad and even ones that show promise of being good (like the Pelipper flying one) just get repetitive because the minigame never changes.

Gravijah

improving the dream world:

have your home connected to a house/secret base/whatever in game. decorating it decorates both.
minigames that don't suck.
less grinding.
no time limit.

lol

Big changes to the battle system, in my view, would involve making the battles real-time, set in an enclosing arena battlefield, and introducing more tactical elements to battling, like moving around the battlefield itself. But everyone thought that was too controversial when I introduced the idea last time.

Gravijah

lol

Big changes to the battle system, in my view, would involve making the battles real-time, set in an enclosing arena battlefield, and introducing more tactical elements to battling, like moving around the battlefield itself. But everyone thought that was too controversial when I introduced the idea last time.

no, i don't want that stuff. you're not taking away one of the last turn based rpgs.

Actually: I was coming at a hypothetical fan-game angle for that argument. Changing up the formula to the actual mainline games would be stupid from both a market perspective and a fan-based perspective.

I'd play it, though.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
making the battles real-time

Ewwwwwwww. There's the Ranger, Mystery Dungeon, Rumble Battle, Pokepark, and anime series for a reason. Pokemon is really the only game of its kind nowadays and it would lose a ton if it ever transitioned to such a battle system for no real reason. The core Pokemon gameplay is still absurdly sound, and still has room for improvement, so improve it, and don't throw out the unique appeal with the bathwater.

Ewwwwwwww. There's the Ranger, Mystery Dungeon, Rumble Battle, Pokepark, and anime series for a reason. Pokemon is really the only game of its kind nowadays and it would lose a ton if it ever transitioned to such a battle system for no real reason. The core Pokemon gameplay is still absurdly sound, and still has room for improvement, so improve it, and don't throw out the unique appeal with the bathwater.
You didn't read my previous post, Andy.

None of the spin-offs capture my vision for such a battle system, btw. They're all dumbed-down and simplistic if you ask me.

Wiseblade

lol

idzWv0YVQA6J9.gif

Why are people so eager to kill one of the few remaining turn-based RPGs?

Have you seen how many people want turn based battle systems gone? It seems everywhere you turn, everyone wants them gone...that and random encounters.

I never put Pokemon on my "kill list", nor do I have anything of the sort. But when I watch battle scenes from the anime, I really do wish there could be a Pokemon game that had a similar battle system.

And I don't think you guys read the post where I said I was thinking of a fan-game, not a mainline game.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Why are people so eager to kill one of the few remaining turn-based RPGs?

People who consider themselves the "biggest Pokemon fan ever" even though they identify more with the anime than the games but haven't seen/played either in over 10 years.

I never put Pokemon on my "kill list", nor do I have anything of the sort. But when I watch battle scenes from the anime, I really do wish there could be a Pokemon game that had a similar battle system.

And I don't think you guys read the post where I said I was thinking of a fan-game, not a mainline game.

Case in point.

Kokonoe

Banned
If they make a Pokemon simulator game, they would need to utilize a microphone/headset of some sort for the voice commands. Voice commands would be vital if you're the trainer.

People who consider themselves the "biggest Pokemon fan ever" even though they identify more with the anime than the games but haven't seen/played either in over 10 years.

Case in point.
I beat Pokemon Black last holiday season, Andrex. Stop falsely-accusing me, please.

Yeah: voice commands would be cool. I was thinking of a hotkey-based substitute, actually.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I want a game (No I don't) that follows the anime rules to a t:

Safeguard is unstoppable. Tackle is a kill move, yelling your move out over and over means the pokemon will do it over and over, dodge it is the second best move (behind again safeguard) and many more.

Not that stupid, though. I liked the music in that game a lot.

There's some value left in Boston, Chet. Trust Adult Swim!

I want a game (No I don't) that follows the anime rules to a t:

Safeguard is unstoppable. Tackle is a kill move, yelling your move out over and over means the pokemon will do it over and over, dodge it is the second best move (behind again safeguard) and many more.
Neither do I want that. But the actual traversal mechanics and usage of the battlefield itself was really-interesting. Almost everything else was plot armor.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I beat Pokemon Black last holiday season, Andrex. Stop falsely-accusing me, please.

Yeah: voice commands would be cool. I was thinking of a hotkey-based substitute, actually.

I obviously didn't mean that part specifically. That was more targeted at the type of friends on Facebook who see Pikachu and nostalgia all over the place for like a week then go on having forgotten the entire franchise until the next reminder.

But the anime people are kind of annoying, and this coming from someone who watches the anime. The anime is such a bland reinterpretation of the games; the games may not have Oscar-worthy storylines but they're still usually many times more complex than the animes'. (Anime BW had promise with that Team Rocket/Plasma crossover that never aired, hopefully Anime BW2 or whatever they call it makes up for it.) So it's annoying when people say they want it to be more like the anime since, in my overall opinion, the anime is a cheap knockoff of the games. And I like the anime. But there's no question in my mind the games and even the manga (Special) are far, far better, more complex products.

An action RPG Pokemon could have the battle system and trappings of Xenoblade and I would still hold it in lower regard than Black and White. The Pokemon series' strongest point is the mainline games' battle system; take that away, and you have another samey game for kids.

Top Bottom