• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The worst thing about pokevision is now Niantic cant take advantage of protobuf now that it's been "hacked". I imagine the payload is going to be a lot more if they want to fix this. Shame.

Don't be surprised to see your data rates take a hike when they do fix it is what I'm saying.

orochi91

Me and some friends drove around Mississauga tonight, up until around ~3AM.

Pulled in a decent haul of pokemons and eggs.

This game is super fun, specifically when played with friends.

I think I'm gonna continue this nostalgia trip and buy one of the VC games. Not sure if I wanna go Blue for the memories, or Yellow cause it's the better game (color!). What do you all think?

I think I'm gonna continue this nostalgia trip and buy one of the VC games. Not sure if I wanna go Blue for the memories, or Yellow cause it's the better game (color!). What do you all think?

Thought about the same thing for 3DS...I got blue as a kid and my brother had yellow...so maybe i should get red...

Permanently A

Evolve my 730 Wartortle right now.

OR

Evolve my 508 Squirtle and grind another night to get that to a Blastoise.

Depends where the dot on the CP arc is

if the dot on the 508 Squirtle is significantly higher (like more than 15%) than the Wartortle's then evolve the squirtle

Noaloha

Went for short morning walk as I was doing / waiting for laundry. Ran into my first Haunter (with pleasing aptness, it popped up as I was cutting between bright, loud streets using a quiet, secluded, leaf-shadowed footpath). Shortly thereafter I was pounced upon by my first Onix, also my first 'red circle' difficulty (I think it was red, the sun was crazy bright and bouncing off everything around me); for whatever it may be worth, I'm lvl 9. That big boy was a dick to capture, kept deflecting my balls away from where I was aiming and repeatedly refused to stay put in the ball when it did connect. Still, gotcha.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Is it true that the smaller the circle is, the better chance to catch the pokemon?
Well there's 3 stages of circle

Nice, Great and Excellent or whatever it's called.
They depend on hitting the ball inside the circle. The smaller it is the better and the higher chance you got to capture the mon. Or so I've been told.

Lunar FC

Depends where the dot on the CP arc is

if the dot on the 508 Squirtle is significantly higher (like more than 15%) than the Wartortle's then evolve the squirtle

Higher as in the meter is less filled in or more?

Here is what I got.

z5I85jK.png
7UrCdnn.png

Mad jelly

I ain't got a single squirtle over 200cp so far :/

I've got a squirtle park 10 minutes away, so i've seen dozens of them.

Rixa

Me and some friends drove around Mississauga tonight, up until around ~3AM.

Pulled in a decent haul of pokemons and eggs.

This game is super fun, specifically when played with friends.
Grats to you :)

I have different kind of feelings of this so called game.
Its not so fun, when you have access to 1-3 Pokestops (once) per day and they give 1 pokeball and rest are some revive & potion trash & you have lost countless balls to stupid server errors & glitches. Closest pokestop to your home is over 2km away and to Gym is over 2.5km distance.

Rank 7 after playing over 2 weeks daily. Iam in the minority that doesn't find the fun in this game due to game mechanics (if they work) supporting people living in big cities.

Wollan

The worst thing about pokevision is now Niantic cant take advantage of protobuf now that it's been "hacked". I imagine the payload is going to be a lot more if they want to fix this. Shame.

Don't be surprised to see your data rates take a hike when they do fix it is what I'm saying.
They will further package/encrypt the data you mean?

Maximus P

My capture rate seems to have turned to shit.

Found a 399cp squirtle on my commute this morning and used 15 ultraballs+15 Razzberrys on that thing with random 'nice' and 'great' throws only for it to run away.

PSFan

Don't see what's so horrible about Pokevision or the script. It's not like by finding a Pokemon, nobody else will be able to get it or anything. I really don't see it as cheating at all.

Went for short morning walk as I was doing / waiting for laundry. Ran into my first Haunter (with pleasing aptness, it popped up as I was cutting between bright, loud streets using a quiet, secluded, leaf-shadowed footpath). Shortly thereafter I was pounced upon by my first Onix, also my first 'red circle' difficulty (I think it was red, the sun was crazy bright and bouncing off everything around me); for whatever it may be worth, I'm lvl 9. That big boy was a dick to capture, kept deflecting my balls away from where I was aiming and repeatedly refused to stay put in the ball when it did connect. Still, gotcha.

We just found an Onyx tonight as well though it was only 33 cp, whatever, I still like him 🙃

I'm still blown away at how many people I see playing this everywhere, I live in a historical section of town and every single day there are mobs of people everywhere, thankfully not right on top of where I live, but close enough that is super easy to join in if I feel like it.

These are places that would normally only see traffic on weekends and special events, tonight in the middle of the week it was like a carnival.

Such an interesting phenomenon.

Noaloha

I noticed while coming home on the subway yesterday (I say 'sub'way, but 80% of the ride is above ground, meaning phone signal is fine) that I was getting very consistent monster pops every couple of minutes whenever we stopped at a station, plus every single station has at least one Stop to grab items from. Tempted to experiment with just riding a line back and forth for an hour or two with a podcast, indulge in a form of lazy 'chill at the park' hunting except it's lazy hunting that still spans a broad range of locations.

Wazzy

Banned
Christ some people are so miserable. I was about to go to bed when I saw a lapras on the map so me and another person went running quickly to look for it(it's 2am) and while we're running down a street we get pulled over by a cop. We asked why the cop is pulling up to us and the cop is like "are you playing Pokemon go?" so we told her yes and then she said that there's two reports about people playing Pokemon Go. I told her we literally just came outside and that we lived nearby and then she asked for my name so I gave it. She then pauses for a minute and we just stand there and since we're in a rush to find the lapras ask "uh so can we go?" And then she says yes and leaves. Such a waste of time and we missed out on the Lapras lol. I think it's mainly annoying because quite a few people play late at night and she kind of just randomly picked us when we had only just come outside and then didn't even give a warning as to what was wrong with what we could be doing.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Ok, some people might be a tad too dedicated. Went to bed yesterday at 3 AM, which was right as the servers came back online after a few hours of downtime. I checked my phone and saw someone instantly fighting the Gym behind my house, whittling down the three POKéMON in it and then taking over the Gym. Because there are no houses in range of the Gym, this means that someone came out to the Gym and then waited until 3 AM for the servers to come back online just to take over this single Gym. You know, instead of going to sleep and doing it in the morning.

They will further package/encrypt the data you mean?

I think he is suggesting that since protobuf is currently the obvious way to pack data into a stream, Niantic will have to invent their own much inferior protocol to escape the API leeches and obfuscate the stream. I don't see that follows, however.

Niantic can easily make life hard for pretend API users by including things in the next release of the client that an API mimic would not know, and generally forcing piggy back riders to either constantly work to keep up or reverse engineer new client binaries in detail to find out what is tripping them up. All without changing use of protobuf.

But before they have spare cycles to drive away the leeching services and dissuade other, more damaging, tools, they have to fix the bugs and their load problems.

Because it is already driving people away and generating bad press:

http://www.smh.com.au/comment/im-over-pokemon-go-whats-next-20160720-gq9p59.html

Permanently A

Here is what I got.

Higher = more filled in.

The arc on your Squirtle is higher than Wartortle, but not by a lot. It would cost you more squirtle candy to evolve that squirtle compared to how much candy it would cost you to power up the wartortle to equal the squirtle's CP arc marker.

Great, My 10km egg that was abort to hatch disappeared when the game crashed -_-

Sort by recent, unless you're super unlucky it should be there

trugs26

its no different in the actual games where they show what route a pokemon is on.

If the they showed up random in the games i would have been like "fuck this" im never going to catch em all.
It doesn't make sense to compare the game design of Pokemon Go to the handheld games in this context.

PSFan

It doesn't make sense to compare the game design of Pokemon Go to the handheld games in this context.

It actually does make sense. And the analogy is quite accurate. As I said before, it doesn't hurt anyone else if you see a Pokemon at a particular location and go there and catch it. It would still be there for if anyone else wanted to catch it.

Jokab

Here is what I got.

The dot on the arch is farther to the right on the Squirtle than the Wartortle. When you evolve a Pokémon, the position on the arch (i.e. amount of CP relative to the max for that Pokémon for your trainer level) is kept, so if you evolve the Squirtle it will be higher CP than your Wartortle, obviously meaning you will end up with a higher CP Blastoise. If you have the time I'd say do the Squirtle.

BowieZ

Banned
Christ some people are so miserable. I was about to go to bed when I saw a lapras on the map so me and another person went running quickly to look for it(it's 2am) and while we're running down a street we get pulled over by a cop. We asked why the cop is pulling up to us and the cop is like "are you playing Pokemon go?" so we told her yes and then she said that there's two reports about people playing Pokemon Go. I told her we literally just came outside and that we lived nearby and then she asked for my name so I gave it. She then pauses for a minute and we just stand there and since we're in a rush to find the lapras ask "uh so can we go?" And then she says yes and leaves. Such a waste of time and we missed out on the Lapras lol. I think it's mainly annoying because quite a few people play late at night and she kind of just randomly picked us when we had only just come outside and then didn't even give a warning as to what was wrong with what we could be doing.

Ok, some people might be a tad too dedicated. Went to bed yesterday at 3 AM, which was right as the servers came back online after a few hours of downtime. I checked my phone and saw someone instantly fighting the Gym behind my house, whittling down the three POKéMON in it and then taking over the Gym. Because there are no houses in range of the Gym, this means that someone came out to the Gym and then waited until 3 AM for the servers to come back online just to take over this single Gym. You know, instead of going to sleep and doing it in the morning.

We just found an Onyx tonight as well though it was only 33 cp, whatever, I still like him 🙃

I'm still blown away at how many people I see playing this everywhere, I live in a historical section of town and every single day there are mobs of people everywhere, thankfully not right on top of where I live, but close enough that is super easy to join in if I feel like it.

These are places that would normally only see traffic on weekends and special events, tonight in the middle of the week it was like a carnival.

Such an interesting phenomenon.
Great stories! lol

I noticed while coming home on the subway yesterday (I say 'sub'way, but 80% of the ride is above ground, meaning phone signal is fine) that I was getting very consistent monster pops every couple of minutes whenever we stopped at a station, plus every single station has at least one Stop to grab items from. Tempted to experiment with just riding a line back and forth for an hour or two with a podcast, indulge in a form of lazy 'chill at the park' hunting except it's lazy hunting that still spans a broad range of locations.
I've been tempted to do this but I'm not sure what the patrol officers might say if they (admittedly unlikely) came across me travelling back toward my original travel card 'touch-on' location. I wonder if they'd allow me to just go back and forth.

Same with the bus. Maybe I could ask the driver (of one of our city loop buses) if I can just ride the loop for a few hours... Although after a couple of hours or so I believe $5 gets deducted as a penalty for not 'touching off'.

Chaos17

Last thing, I wish to read is Pokemong Go players annoyed by police offiers or security guards doing their jobs :\
Pokemons will always come back, they're not unique. So you just chill and let it go and not chase it like it was a golden bar, lol

Wazzy

Banned
Last thing, I wish to read is Pokemong Go players annoyed by police offiers or security guards doing their jobs :
Pokemons will always come back, they're not unique. So you just chill and let it go and not chase it like it was a golden bar, lol
The lapras is a slightly annoying thing but I'm not angry or anything because of that. What bothered me and my friend is that the police officer didn't actually do anything other than waste our time. She could have easily said "okay well please try to be mindful of residents and be safe" or any kind of advice so that we don't do whatever it was wrong that she was searching for. Instead she just blankly stared at us until we slowly asked if we could leave. If you're going to pull people over at least give them a reason.

The lapras is a slightly annoying thing but I'm not angry or anything because of that. What bothered me and my friend is that the police officer didn't actually do anything other than waste our time. She could have easily said "okay well please try to be mindful of residents and be safe" or any kind of advice so that we don't do whatever it was wrong that she was searching for. Instead she just blankly stared at us until we slowly asked if we could leave. If you're going to pull people over at least give them a reason.

The weird thing is that there are 2 reports of people playing Pokémon Go, not 2 people running around the neighbourhood suspicously...well if the person who reported, very well knew what you were doing why did they call the police?

Wazzy

Banned
The weird thing is that there are 2 reports of people playing Pokémon Go, not 2 people running around the neighbourhood suspicously...well if the person who reported, very well knew what you were doing why did they call the police?
A lot of people go out at night so I'm assuming the report was a noise complaint but hell if I know since the cop gave only that as her answer. It was just weird to stand there in silence and have nothing being said only to just kind of leave lol

Rellik

Or they were GPS Spoofing.

chrono01

A lot of people go out at night so I'm assuming the report was a noise complaint but hell if I know since the cop gave only that as her answer. It was just weird to stand there in silence and have nothing being said only to just kind of leave lol
The cop probably wanted you to ask you if she could join you in your Poke-Hunt, but you didn't provide her the opportunity.

Shame on you! :p

Pakoe

The server issues and bugs killed this game for me, unfortunately.
I hope it'll get fixed one of these days, but i'm done for now.

chrono01

If she wanted to know where lapras was she just had to ask. :p
She wanted YOU to say:

"Hey, do you Go too? We're on our way to catch a Lapras, do you want to join us?"

But no, you didn't. I bet she had a quiet sob to herself in her patrol car after you left her there alone.

Also, the unfortunate Japanese Pokémon fan (from the stream I linked earlier) is still refreshing the iOS/Android stores, in the hopes that Pokémon Go is finally released there.

3 and a half hours...of refreshing them every minute or so. I'm starting to feel really bad for him/her and their mental state. :(

Acinixys

Now that's just petty and shitty. Is there anything Niantic can do against that or will this forever be a thing allowing lazy people to circumvent the purpose of the game?

They are very harsh on spoofers in Ingress

In a few months when they are not working like mad to stop the servers exploding im sure we will see a few ban waves

So, the local Church have been designated as a gym and have contacted us (print/design company) to create a flyer for them, what's the deal with the Pokemon/Go logo usage on the flyer they want to print?

We're a bit unsure.

Wouldn't do it unless it's completely nonprofit. Nintendo sued someone using a couple of Pokemon on their flyer. But then again, Nintendo might not even see it. And then again, there's probably a bunch of other people and places doing it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom