• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

correojon

I noticed while coming home on the subway yesterday (I say 'sub'way, but 80% of the ride is above ground, meaning phone signal is fine) that I was getting very consistent monster pops every couple of minutes whenever we stopped at a station, plus every single station has at least one Stop to grab items from. Tempted to experiment with just riding a line back and forth for an hour or two with a podcast, indulge in a form of lazy 'chill at the park' hunting except it's lazy hunting that still spans a broad range of locations.
My best hunts are on the bus to-from work, yesterday I managed to catch 13 Pokemons and use 6 stops in a ~20min. ride. Plus, as the bus goes through the center of the city it doesn´t go very fast, so I also get around 3km deduced from my eggs.

Conversely, when I try to go out and hunt by foot servers crash and I can´t do shit :(

chrono01

The thirst is real.

sQj1IEg.png

https://twitter.com/sprsk/status/756057795753934849

Cn4bx-JXYAAWaug.jpg
Here's a link to the stream:

http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv270311375

I kind of want to stick around, to see the eventual despair when they finally manage to download/install the app, only to be hit with a connection error. :(

I had that glitch! I walked around forever for Pikachu as a starter and got hit by it. :/

Thankfully, it was still there when I reset the app.
Funny/annoying thing i have found is that if i get a glitch when trying to capture a mon and am forced to force close the app and its still there once i load it up again it tends to 99% of the time crash the app again if i try to capture it.

Talking of glitches, has anyone else had the void (as i like to call it)? Its when you throw the ball and the background slowly gets consumed by darkness until its just black with the pokemon in the foreground. Had it quite a few times since the game came out but havent seen anyone else mentioned it before.

N.Grim

Funny/annoying thing i have found is that if i get a glitch when trying to capture a mon and am forced to force close the app and its still there once i load it up again it tends to 99% of the time crash the app again if i try to capture it.

Talking of glitches, has anyone else had the void (as i like to call it)? Its when you throw the ball and the background slowly gets consumed by darkness until its just black with the pokemon in the foreground. Had it quite a few times since the game came out but havent seen anyone else mentioned it before.

I got that, the funniest one is when the game crash with the pokemon super close to the camera

Chaos17

Frenchs on Tweeter think they're going to get the game before Japan with 0 official news. They're hyping for the end of the day, lmao!

The guys who spread those rumors should be perma banned from Pokemon go if ever they play it.

The last glitch is a physics glitch of the pokeball itself, it goes crazy and starts flying to the infinite sky.
The black void you are seeing is actually the shadow of the pokeball.

Pachimari

Hell yeah what a day so far! I caught a Squirtle, Nidorina, Horsea, Clefairy and an egg hatched a Rhyhorn!

[edit] and now a fucking Abra! What a day I'm having oh wow. Although my Abra is a 10cp and Squirtle a 11cp but whatever.

Par Score

Meh.
It's not like there are leaderboards or anything.
I use the python just to get pokemon which are really really rare in my area 'cause I can't really move around much.

Cheating in a competitive multi-player game is pretty scummy.

Now if you never hit up a Gym or plan to trade or anything that's one thing, but it's not like this is some single player game where your actions have no possible impact on others.

Par Score

it's just squeezing fun from a broken game. Tracking pokemon was a huge part of the fun, which they broke like a week ago now.

The tracker being broken is no excuse for using man-in-the-middle attacks, location spoofing, etc. to be able to catch any pokemon from anywhere while you sit at your desk.

PSFan

The tracker being broken is no excuse for using man-in-the-middle attacks, location spoofing, etc. to be able to catch any pokemon from anywhere while you sit at your desk.

Pokeview or the script is not spoofing or attacking. It also doesn't allow you to catch any pokemon from anywhere.

Anarion07

Now if you never hit up a Gym or plan to trade or anything that's one thing, but it's not like this is some single player game where your actions have no possible impact on others.

Oh how competitive.
What a difference it makes if I take a gym in 4 attacks or 5 attacks with the magnitude of impossibly strong pokemon i get from the script

Really disappointed to see that people are cheating.
Are you referring to GPS spoofing or using the python code to find Pokémon?

If the Nearby functionality weren't broken and the servers up for more than 4 hours a day, maybe I would agree with you, but with how shitty this launch and the following 2+ weeks have been, this game has no room to be even remotely "competitive".

When being a higher level than someone is based on whoever has evolved the most Pidgies while simultaneously using a lucky egg.

When catching a rare Pokémon relies on living downtown and being capable of tracking it from within 1km+ with no idea of the direction it is.

When having any Pokeballs in your inventory relies on also living downtown in order to have enough Pokestops to visit.

When the most effective way to catch Pokémon is to sit on overlapping lured Pokestops.

Excuse me while I walk down the street to catch this Gengar I wouldn't have known existed otherwise. But of course it doesn't matter, because the strongest Pokémon in gym battles is Vaporeon, so only Eevees matter.

mikemandey

I'm kinda torn between evolving a Dragonair with 22 CP to a Dragonite or Dratini with 450 CP to a Dragonair and then Dragonite.. I have around 60 Dratini candies.

Is there any chance his CP jump to 1k++ if I choose to evolve the Dragonair?

spekkeh

Banned
I'm wondering if and when this game becomes the most popular game of all time. Research found that in my country already 10% of people above 18 were playing it before the game even released (https://tweakers.net/nieuws/113617/...nt-van-de-nederlanders-speelt-pokemon-go.html), I'm sure that statistic is higher now. Walking around university just now is insane, I think I saw about 10% of people actively playing it. Can't find accurate results for the US, I found 21 Million somewhere, but it was in a news item about Apple, so I don't know if it's across both app stores. Still, even close to ten percent, if that stretches across territories is absolutely bonkers.

I was going to open a thread, but I see Angry Birds boasted 280 million users, so it will probably still take some time (or when it releases in China), to reach that.

trugs26

Are you referring to GPS spoofing or using the python code to find Pokémon?

If the Nearby functionality weren't broken and the servers up for more than 4 hours a day, maybe I would agree with you, but with how shitty this launch and the following 2+ weeks have been, this game has no room to be even remotely "competitive".

When being a higher level than someone is based on whoever has evolved the most Pidgies while simultaneously using a lucky egg.

When catching a rare Pokémon relies on living downtown and being capable of tracking it from within 1km+ with no idea of the direction it is.

When having any Pokeballs in your inventory relies on also living downtown in order to have enough Pokestops to visit.

When the most effective way to catch Pokémon is to sit on overlapping lured Pokestops.

Excuse me while I walk down the street to catch this Gengar I wouldn't have known existed otherwise. But of course it doesn't matter, because the strongest Pokémon in gym battles is Vaporeon, so only Eevees matter.

Let's be real here, a lot of people using this map stuff are gonna still use it even when they fix the Nearby functionality.

trugs26

Leaderboards for what exactly? There's no kind of score to keep track of or anything like that.

Dunno. Probably number of gyms beaten, defended, etc.. Maybe total combined CP of each unique Pokemon. Maybe they're planning to release something to score you in some way. Point is, it's planned, so they do have something in mind.

lt519

People cheat at everything.

Also, just look forward to them all getting banned :)

Nobody is getting banned they use fake accounts.

I used the scripts to scout out my trip to Chicago tomorrow. Can't wait to hit up the park and get my diglett. Also used it to see what I can expect when I travel to New Mexico. Did not use it last night when I wandered around but when I got home I saw I missed out on a voltorb, bummer.

D

Deleted member 98878

Unconfirmed Member

I can understand people who use location spoofing when they live on the countryside. I live in a 16k suburb and even there it's quite annoying when I compare my level, Pokemon, etc. to my friends who live in the city (150k). Luckily it's only 8km and I'm in the city every other day (at least).

Cudder

Are the servers down in Canada for anyone else? Ever since last night I'm greeted by "Failed to login" Gyarados screen. Websites say the server status is fine though..

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Grinding 400 Magikarp Candies only to get a 6 attack Gyarados... DAMNIT.

Davey Cakes

By some miracle I was able to catch a Cloyster yesterday. And I only JUST got some great balls, too.

Funny thing is, I haven't even caught Shellder yet, though I've seen its silhouette several times.

Similar to how I randomly caught a Dragonair a couple of weeks ago but still don't have a Dratini.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Nobody is getting banned they use fake accounts.

I used the scripts to scout out my trip to Chicago tomorrow. Can't wait to hit up the park and get my diglett. Also used it to see what I can expect when I travel to New Mexico. Did not use it last night when I wandered around but when I got home I saw I missed out on a voltorb, bummer.
We have quite a few people gather at the Millennium Park so if you can maybe head that way and you will almost be guaranteed to see some lures.

Rellik

By some miracle I was able to catch a Cloyster yesterday. And I only JUST got some great balls, too.

Funny thing is, I haven't even caught Shellder yet, though I've seen its silhouette several times.

Similar to how I caught a Dragonair but still don't have a Dratini.

I didn't see a Shelder for ages and then one randomly appeared at a river.

Hystzen

Woke up opened app and was greeting by a Ryhorn which never seen since launch. It turned out be 500cp don't even need leave my house anymore.

Crescende

Banned

Well, the ones scripting and spoofing around will be long gone due to boredom before any of the cool multiplayer features roll out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom