• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 98878

Unconfirmed Member
Nah you shouldn't, as long as you don't use the rooted aspects of the phone to cheat.

Ok, thanks. I just use the root features for ad blocking in apps, underclocking my CPU, etc.

just make sure mock location is off in the Dev options even if you are not using it to fake your GPS

I'll make sure to check that.

First thing I do with all my phones is root them. You're perfectly fine.

Me too :)

Just got worried because I've read some stuff about rooting your phone and Niantic not liking it.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Okay, Niantic really need to turn down the Pidgeys and Rattatas. It's getting to be that those are all I see most of the time. Seeing the same Pokemon all the time like this is another thing that could start turning people off of the game.

They are EVERYWHERE in New York. But was in southern California this weekend and instead of Pidgeys and Rattatas it was Ekans and Spearow.

Do you guys think they'll overhaul the combat system in the (distant) future?
Hope they do, I historically find that any game involving tap and swipe gestures will frequently annoy me by interpreting my swipes as taps from time to time and pokemon go is no exception :/
Also, speed pokemon really need help XD

Are ppl running the Python script from their home PC, or on their phone?
Can't imagine it being too useful if it's stationary
Can't speak for everyone but most I've seen use it as a 'spotter' on their PC. They'll either scan nearby for anything interesting and dart out of the house if they see something they desperately want, OR they'll use it to narrow down general spawn zones for stuff so when they wander out they know a rough area where they might stand at least a chance of catching what they're after :3

edit:
I tried using that on my Snorlax, came up with no combinations on doing a power up to try and narrow it down. x.x
Huh, interesting. Make sure it's a single space followed by a 1 in the name field for the 2nd attempt (e.g. mrSnores -> mrSnores 1 -> mrSnores 2, etc) and don't forget to set 'powerup' to TRUE (I forgot that the first time I did it XD )

Teknoman

i only just noticed that you can see the list of possible medals/achievements in your profile, and saw that two are "battle girl" and "punk girl." any mra/gamergate loonies gone on a rant about that yet?

i am assuming they are for everyone, unless i got the female medals for some reason.

Nah they are for everyone. Also pokevision seems like the game shark of Pokemon go lol... Footstep bug aside, doesn't that take the fun out of the game?

ACE 1991

Hope they do, I historically find that any game involving tap and swipe gestures will frequently annoy me by interpreting my swipes as taps from time to time and pokemon go is no exception :/
Also, speed pokemon really need help XD

PVP is going to be so boring with the current system.

Great, just saw a flareon outside of my home (never happens, theres only ekans, rattatas and pidgeys, and even then, they adont appear near me but in my "surroundings", and pokevision just went down for maintenance.
Was also going to use it tonight with some friends, really hope "short maintenance window" really means short.

Do we have any idea as to why someone at a high level would find a fully evolved pokemon with such low cp?
I could be wrong, but as far as I'm aware all that being higher level does is increase the maximum level the pokemon you find, hatch and level up can be. I don't believe it does anything to the minimum value so you can still find level 1 stuff no matter how far into the game you are, it's just increasingly less likely due to the larger level range :3

Noaloha

In better news than my lost Ninetails, I went into the city proper today for the first time. Saw a few lures as I subwayed into old town in Stockholm, figured it'd be as good a place as any to see what a hotspot is like. And.. it's great! Raking in monsters and exp and items from the four or so clustered Stops which kept getting Lures refreshed.

If anyone around Stockholm needs a Voltron, holy shit just pop your head into Gamla Stan -- I was only there for an hour and picked up 14 of the things.

Arrrammis

Do we have any idea as to why someone at a high level would find a fully evolved pokemon with such low cp?

My theory is just that the CP of a pokemon you encounter is completely random. At higher levels, the cap increases so that there is a chance of finding higher CP pokemon, but the minimum does not increase in the same way, so there is still the chance of finding a CP 10 magmar or something like that. RNG will always troll you.

Zafir

Can't speak for everyone but most I've seen use it as a 'spotter' on their PC. They'll either scan nearby for anything interesting and dart out of the house if they see something they desperately want, OR they'll use it to narrow down general spawn zones for stuff so when they wander out they know a rough area where they might stand at least a chance of catching what they're after :3

edit:

Huh, interesting. Make sure it's a single space followed by a 1 in the name field for the 2nd attempt (e.g. mrSnores -> mrSnores 1 -> mrSnores 2, etc) and don't forget to set 'powerup' to TRUE (I forgot that the first time I did it XD )

Yeah I had the names as Snorlax then Snorlax 1.

It finds IVs if I leave the name blank, but not with Snorlax 1 in. :X

The Snorlax was already powered up before I tried the spreadsheet, so it was set to TRUE on both.

Crescende

Banned
Okay, Niantic really need to turn down the Pidgeys and Rattatas. It's getting to be that those are all I see most of the time. Seeing the same Pokemon all the time like this is another thing that could start turning people off of the game.

We get that those are supposed to be the common ones, but it really seems like they are becoming TOO common. Especially with the radar still broken. I saw a Charmander in the upper left spot earlier today but he was nowhere near, and pretty much only Pidgeys and Rattatas popped.

Dont worry. They soon will be replaced with Hoothoots and Taillows :D

UberLevi

This game has really reignited my passion for Pokemon related stuff in general. In fact, the other day I was replaying Fire Red when I heard one of my roommates playing Indigo League on the TV in the living room, and my girlfriend simultaneously walked in to show me some Pokemon related merchandise she wanted.

Damn it RNG. Seriously. I get a Poliwag I want to use, evolve it and it keeps mud shot. Then I evolve it again, Freaking BUBBLE????????
Yeah, it's a bit strange that they re-randomise the moveset when you evolve. Carrying over moves from previous forms was always a part of the mainline pokemon games :eek:

Yeah I had the names as Snorlax then Snorlax 1.

It finds IVs if I leave the name blank, but not with Snorlax 1 in. :X

The Snorlax was already powered up before I tried the spreadsheet, so it was set to TRUE on both.
That's annoying :/
Might be worth leaving a comment in the thread and seeing if the spreadsheet person who made it has any ideas :eek:
Also, if you post the entries you've used I can have a go at it and see if I have any luck XD

Durden77

OMG

Pokevision is performing maintenance and improving quality of their website before Niantic does on the official servers.....this is just fucking sad.

While Niantac's communication has unexcusably been awful, they obviously did a major overhaul to their servers last night during the down time. They're working extremely well right now.

ACE 1991

Agreed. There's no real strategy to the current implementation :/

So when it inevitably gets banned, your actual pokemon account doesn't :p

Yep, Pokemon Go is simply a bad game. As a catalyst for interesting social interactions and an example of interesting AR, it's pretty cool. If they don't add depth no one is going to be talking about it after a bit, though.

While Niantac's communication has unexcusably been awful, they obviously did a major overhaul to their servers last night during the down time. They're working extremely well right now.
Agreed, the game was never this responsive for me before the massive downtime. I don't get pokeball freezes or anything now and the menus respond with surprising rapidity compared to before :eek:

Then again, maybe a whole mass of people gave up on the game during the downtime? ^.^;

FinKL

Has it been confirmed that Pokemon spawns are based on level?

For example, as a lvl 1 trainer you will never see rare pokemon vs a lvl 20?

GulAtiCa

How do you get the curveball bonus? I haven't gotten that as a bonus in a while now. I caught many pokemon in last week with a curveball, but no bonus. Heck, this includes times where the curveball even landed inside the circle for the extra exp bonus.

Permanently A

Two questions -

When facing a tough pokemon to catch, is it better to run away after each failed attempt and retry? Could that possibly prevent the pokemon from running away?

Is it true that the smaller the circle, the higher the catch rate?

Has it been confirmed that Pokemon spawns are based on level?

For example, as a lvl 1 trainer you will never see rare pokemon vs a lvl 20?
Nope, that's definitely not how it works. The pokemon that appear are the same for everyone, all that level does is cap the maximum level the pokemon you capture/hatch will be for you.

That said, incense is player-specific so if there's going to be any difference in what people find based off level that's the only place it could occur.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Agreed, the game was never this responsive for me before the massive downtime. I don't get pokeball freezes or anything now and the menus respond with surprising rapidity compared to before :eek:

Then again, maybe a whole mass of people gave up on the game during the downtime? ^.^;

The game is still the most downloaded app on iOS in the countries where it's been released, so, I suppose there's a quite sizable amount of people anyway :p

However, I fear for servers stability once the game is released in Japan.

FinKL

Nope, that's definitely not how it works. The pokemon that appear are the same for everyone, all that level does is cap the maximum level the pokemon you capture/hatch will be for you.

That said, incense is player-specific so if there's going to be any difference in what people find based off level that's the only place it could occur.

That's what I was leaning towards too as I often play with my wife who's pretty low but we've been able to see the same stuff so I just wanted to confirm

TeegsD

I just dont like this pokevision stuff at all. Sure it'd be great to know where a certain pokemon spawns but it just defeats the purpose of the game to me.

How do you get the curveball bonus? I haven't gotten that as a bonus in a while now. I caught many pokemon in last week with a curveball, but no bonus. Heck, this includes times where the curveball even landed inside the circle for the extra exp bonus.
I've seen all kinds of theories on this but I'm not aware of anything conclusive sadly. I just curveball-throw everything and hope for the best :p

Two questions -

When facing a tough pokemon to catch, is it better to run away after each failed attempt and retry? Could that possibly prevent the pokemon from running away?

Is it true that the smaller the circle, the higher the catch rate?
Some were claiming that in the code they'd managed to get a look at there was a bonus for capturing with a nice! excellent! and whatnot which increases capture chance. No idea on the running away thing though, interesting idea :eek:

The game is still the most downloaded app on iOS in the countries where it's been released, so, I suppose there's a quite sizable amount of people anyway :p

However, I fear for servers stability once the game is released in Japan.
May as well call the japan release 'doomsday' :p

That's what I was leaning towards too as I often play with my wife who's pretty low but we've been able to see the same stuff so I just wanted to confirm
Haha, no worries. Sorry if I sounded a bit stern: I see far too many people trying to theorise whether their starter or other thing changes spawns when all the evidence and even my own little trials indicate that pokemon spawns outside of incense are global and therefore couldn't really be affected by individual differences :3
I prefer it this way because it means you can say to your friend "eevee on our left!" or whatever when you're out and about with them XD

Sine I can't really play on my iPad. I thought it'll be cool to mess around with the spoofer. Holy crap, so many lured Pokestops in San Fran. There's like over 30 right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom