• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FinKL

I bet you that "Bonus" is just Curve, Nice, Great throws, but because the servers are so strained it doesn't properly communicate what you got :p

Joqu

Could someone check what's around here?

51.218642, 4.423489

I don't plan on relying on the script thing but I'm curious if the pokemon in my area are as bad as they seem to be. It shouldn't be considering it's a relatively major city here

HOLY SHIT I JUST FOUND OUT FROM POKEVISION THERE'S A HITMONCHAN SPAWNING POINT THREE MILES EAST OF MY HOUSE I'M GONNA GO LIVE THERE

MQOTJDX.png

This may be a dumb question, but how do I leave pokemon at a gym? Everything I see online indicates there should be a nice, obvious button to push, but the only things I can do are scroll through the list of pokemon currently in the gym and hit the nice, obvious button to train at that gym. What am I missing?

This may be a dumb question, but how do I leave pokemon at a gym? Everything I see online indicates there should be a nice, obvious button to push, but the only things I can do are scroll through the list of pokemon currently in the gym and hit the nice, obvious button to train at that gym. What am I missing?

Sounds like the gym has no open spots. The gym can only hold 1 pokemon per its level, so if it's level 5 and already has 5 pokemon, you gotta train it up to level 6 by battling to add a sixth slot.

Yeah, no open spots, live previous poster said. The button to place a Pokemon at the gym is basically the same as the Train button, but on the left side instead of the right.

Sounds like the gym has no open spots. The gym can only hold 1 pokemon per its level, so if it's level 5 and already has 5 pokemon, you gotta train it up to level 6 by battling to add a sixth slot.

That would explain it. I was thinking it wasn't full because I've found gyms with only two pokemon in them, but I didn't realize gym level accounted for anything. Thanks!

As a side note, I really wish this game did a better job explaining just about everything. This isn't the first issue that I've had to get answered on the internet that should have been easily and obviously explained in game...

TheFlow

Banned
My local park has about 20 pokestops that can all be picked up just by driving around without getting my car. My lil bro got 80 balls within 5 minutes.

You guys might have to explore around for the best farming spots

HOLY SHIT I JUST FOUND OUT FROM POKEVISION THERE'S A HITMONCHAN SPAWNING POINT THREE MILES EAST OF MY HOUSE I'M GONNA GO LIVE THERE

[/IMG]http://i.imgur.com/MQOTJDX.png[/IMG]

Don't be surprised if nothing is actually there.

I just had something similar with a Bulbasaur show up on my pokevision and I couldn't find a single one.

Jamiaro

Word. I thought it might be a neat little trick, but it's been 100% accurate on 5 for 5 rare spawns around the office today. Hit my personal high on a 1300CP Dragonite in an area that I never normally check.

Do you remember what page it was on? Was trying to find it, but no luck. Perhaps a PM?

spekkeh

Banned
Nofi, but I really hope Niantic kills that Python script as soon as possible. It's really killing the story and mythos around finding elusive Pokemons if people just look up their exact location on a map.

Ok, Pokemon Tracker is completely worthless. After the Charmander I saw earlier, i caught wind of a Jolteon and Onix near home. Went out, nothing. Reset the game. Both are gone.

CoolOff

Spent a few hours today in a local park where some kind soul had lured three stops, all within range. Weather was perfect. :cool:

In the 90 minutes that they were lured, I caught 20 Drowzee... I'm gonna make the greatest Hypno the world has ever seen.

Quonny

Email from work:

Hello,

We recently heard a rumor in Denver that an employee had been playing Pokémon Go within our facility. After calling Nintendo and some research this morning, I have discovered that you can eliminate the presence of these "monsters" from our sites. I have gone to this website<https://support.pokemongo.nianticlabs.com/hc/en-us/articles/221968408-Reporting-Pok%C3%A9Stop-or-Gym-Issues> to submit my request. We will also be holding in pre-shift meetings reminders that employees are not to use cellphones on the floor. I will let you know once I receive a response from Nintendo regarding the submission.

I included on the submission form a map of our site (see attached), and the form was filled out as follows:

I wish these people would talk to me before sending out emails like this. These plants are not gyms or PokeStops. People are just trying to catch Pokemon.

Nofi, but I really hope Niantic kills that Python script as soon as possible. It's really killing the story and mythos around finding elusive Pokemons if people just look up their exact location on a map.
Yeah, they should focus their efforts on preventing this trivial thing from happening rather than actually fixing the problems the game has.

Because your level definitely isn't determined by the number of Pidgeys you evolve while using a lucky egg.

Because the number of Pokemon you catch isn't determined by how many lured Pokestops you're sitting near.

Because ownership of a gym definitely isn't determined by who the higher level player is, and whether or not the servers are behaving well enough to use the dodge mechanic.

"Catching them all" isn't a longterm goal that actually affects you if other players are doing it more effectively.

Email from work:

I wish these people would talk to me before sending out emails like this. These plants are not gyms or PokeStops. People are just trying to catch Pokemon.
lol, what the hell? Why can't you guys use cellphones at work?

I orefer them to ban first the gps cheaters because even with Python script people still have to go out themselves catch the pokemon in contrary of the guy who sit at his computer.
This. GPS spoofing is the enemy. Even if I find out there's a Mewtwo on top of Mt. Everest with the Python script, I still actually have to go to the top of Mt. Everest, versus the GPS spoofer who can be there within seconds.

CrazE

Banned
Email from work:

Damn that sucks. My work is encouraging us to take our breaks and walk with each other in team efforts to catch them all.

PSFan

What story? You just walk around catching Pokemon, that's it. You don't like the python script? Don't use it. It won't affect you or your "story" in any way whatsoever if someone else uses it.

Chaos17

I prefer them to ban first the gps cheaters because even with Python script people still have to go out themselves catch the pokemon in contrary of the guy who sit at his computer and become lvl 20 in just matter of hours and then go take gyms because outside of the collecting aspect there is nothing else to do. I would rather those cheaters go play on emulator the real pokemons games instead if they want to cheat that badly.

Quonny

lol, what the hell? Why can't you guys use cellphones at work?

It's definitely dangerous. These are people on the floor and using forklifts and stuff. They shouldn't be playing at all.

But the nerd in me is just like "bruh, research it a bit before sending out a mass email to thousands of managers"

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
What story? You just walk around catching Pokemon, that's it. You don't like the python script? Don't use it. It won't affect you or your "story" in any way whatsoever if someone else uses it.
Whatever. I have in my personal experience with the game alone, heard from various people in my local community that they caught something somewhere, made a trip specifically out there for it and caught my own. It was fantastic. To me those events are stories, sometimes even literal ones I told in this thread.

I do not begrudge anyone the path of least resistance and I can especially sympathize since at the moment the in-game mechanism for tracking simply isn't working. "Don't use it" is the approach I will take due to my own sentiments about such tools. But I know exactly what he means.

zoukka

It does affect the competitive pvp side of the game for sure.

Quonny

It does affect the competitive pvp side of the game for sure.

In these early days, it definitely does.

However, the soft cap in this game is really harsh, and the hard cap is not too terribly difficult to obtain.

I'm not disagreeing, but it's not gonna throw the game off like some people think it will.

Firemind

However, the soft cap in this game is really harsh, and the hard cap is not too terribly difficult to obtain.

I'm not disagreeing, but it's not gonna throw the game off like some people think it will.
isn't it monumentally easier to power up a specific pokemon if you know the exact location of the spawns?

the problem is python is apparently piss easy to install

zoukka

For casuals probably not.

For killer-types who don't want to "cheat" it could ruin the motivation.

Big Nikus

Fuck, my version of Android is too old to run the game, my phone sucks (Samsung Galaxy Core LTE, 4.2.2). It's still hasn't been released in France (it was supposed to be today, people are pissed on Twitter), so I've grabbed an apk supposed to work with previous Android versions, but it runs poorly, and I can hear the Starters around me but they don't appear in AR, so what's the point :(
I can't afford a new phone, I'm sad.

Par Score

Whatever. I have in my personal experience with the game alone, heard from various people in my local community that they caught something somewhere, made a trip specifically out there for it and caught my own. It was fantastic. To me those events are stories, sometimes even literal ones I told in this thread.

I do not begrudge anyone the path of least resistance and I can especially sympathize since at the moment the in-game mechanism for tracking simply isn't working. "Don't use it" is the approach I will take due to my own sentiments about such tools. But I know exactly what he means.

Those stories still happen with PokeVision / the Python script.

We spotted a rare 'mon nearby and a few of us went out to catch it. Some other people noticed our small group all on our phones and walking together asked what was up, told 'em about the 'mon and they tagged along. When we got to the area there were already a few others there catching it, and on our way back we spotted a few other players and let them know where to find it.

Similar things happened back before the script when the fucking Nearby function actually worked, and it's all still in the spirit of the game.

GPS spoofing however needs to die a fiery death.

kenodinks

Neo Member
When the servers are running the way they are now this game is an absolute delight.

Anyone notice more frequent spawns and better km tracking?

I guess yesterday wad a bit of a wake up call.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
GPS spoofing is a completely different story and its users should simply be permanently banned. There are definite issues with spawns, distributions, and areas void of stops, but spoofing completely nullifies the simple basic premise of the game; it's even in the name.

As far as my point about using external scripts: if someone tells me where something is I would love to be able to believe that they have this knowledge because they caught it themselves or learned from someone who did. The telling people you see out part is of course 100% in the spirit of the game. Gleaning advantageous information external to the game (that not all players have access to because they aren't using such tools) is not.

In contrast to spoofing I don't think players should be banned for it, though. It just sort of makes me sad. Though with the in-game functionality broken it's completely understandable why people would seek it out.

GPS spoofing is a completely different story and its users should simply be permanently banned. There are definite issues with spawns, distributions, and areas void of stops, but spoofing completely nullifies the simple basic premise of the game; it's even in the name.

As far as my point about using external scripts: if someone tells me where something is I would love to be able to believe that they have this knowledge because they caught it themselves or learned from someone who did. The telling people part you see out is of course 100% in the spirit of the game. Gleaning advantageous information external to the game (that not all players have access to because they aren't using such tools) is not.

In contrast to spoofing I don't think players should be banned for it, though. It just sort of makes me sad. Though with the in-game functionality broken it's completely understandable why people would seek it out.

It's like a bad influence.

I've been trying to catch 1 last bulbasaur I need for an evolution for days now, and because of the nearby footsteps bug, I can't seem to pin one down. It gets very disheartening.

Sometimes you feel that entitlement because maybe if the game was acting right, you would already have your reward, ya know?

Quonny

GPS spoofing however needs to die a fiery death.
I'd be all for this if they'd give us rural folks a bone.

Sorry, but I'll continue spoofing when I need to restock. I'm not wasting half an hour to get to the nearest PokeStop only to sit there for 2 hours while I hope to god I get a few Poke/Greatballs instead of the hundreds of potions and revives I find.

I mean, if I get banned, I get banned. But I'm never going to be able to play this game at all if I don't spoof. I don't spoof to catch Pokemon, I don't even spoof to lured spots. But the game simply isn't playable unless I spoof every once and a while.

As someone who has used them casually over the past day I feel that pokevision / Map master don't present too much of a problem. Spawn times are all short enough that you can't really game the system too much. The useful information presented is about at the level of what a functional tracking system and a solid communication network of active players spotting areas. The latter isn't always an option for people in rural areas, who are already at the disadvantage with lower spawn rates.

mugwhump

So what happened to that Japanese streamer refreshing the app store over and over? When I tuned out they had around 145k viewers

Acerac

Banned
I mean, if I get banned, I get banned. But I'm never going to be able to play this game at all if I don't spoof. I don't spoof to catch Pokemon, I don't even spoof to lured spots. But the game simply isn't playable unless I spoof every once and a while.
They do sell pokeballs in game.

You would have to give the devs money fairly often if you continued playing their game, this is true.

I dunno if it was because it was 100 degrees yesterday but it was the first time i saw a couple of magmars.

They do sell pokeballs in game.

You would have to give the devs money fairly often if you continued playing their game, this is true.

Yep. Sucks that the nearest pokestop is 30 minutes away but its a cop out to use that as an excuse to not buy pokeballs. Get some friends and make a day out of it. Thats what I plan on doing soon.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I mean, they just absolutely need to do something about rural players who aren't in distance of stops, using the mechanics they've already established. The Ingress data they imported just isn't sufficient for how widespread and ubiquitous this thing became. That's just a developmental necessity, and I'm sure they are aware of it.

I actually do not at all agree with the idea that you should just buy Pokeballs if you aren't in convenient distance of a stop. It's scary to think how many people must be doing that to see it offered as advice. In fact I kinda wish they didn't sell them at all, even though the rest of the stuff in the shop I'm fine with. It definitely shouldn't be a matter of where you live that determines how much money you need to spend for basic functionality.
It's like a bad influence.

I've been trying to catch 1 last bulbasaur I need for an evolution for days now, and because of the nearby footsteps bug, I can't seem to pin one down. It gets very disheartening.

Sometimes you feel that entitlement because maybe if the game was acting right, you would already have your reward, ya know?
That is definitely an interesting perspective. I think "bad influence" is sort of apt, like in this case it's justified or even borderline necessary, you want to evolve this thing and the in-game tracker won't help at all, what else are you supposed to do? But down the line I hate the idea of "well, I have 5 pokemon left to complete my pokedex, let me enter them into a script that will cross-check the map and have it tell me exactly where to go to get them."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom