• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, they just absolutely need to do something about rural players who aren't in distance of stops, using the mechanics they've already established. The Ingress data they imported just isn't sufficient for how widespread and ubiquitous this thing became. That's just a developmental necessity, and I'm sure they are aware of it.

I actually do not at all agree with the idea that you should just buy Pokeballs if you aren't in convenient distance of a stop. It's scary to think how many people must be doing that to see it offered as advice. In fact I kinda wish they didn't sell them at all, even though the rest of the stuff in the shop I'm fine with. It definitely shouldn't be a matter of where you live that determines how much money you need to spend for basic functionality.

That is definitely an interesting perspective. I think "bad influence" is sort of apt, like in this case it's justified or even borderline necessary, you want to evolve this thing and the in-game tracker won't help at all, what else are you supposed to do? But down the line I hate the idea of "well, I have 5 pokemon left to complete my pokedex, let me enter them into a script that will cross-check the map and have it tell me exactly where to go to get them."

While they definitely need to add more stops for rural players you have to remember this is a game. Players aren't entitled to free stuff. And yes they should sell pokeballs. You're only thinking about distance but what about time? Not everyone has the time to sit at pokestops for a few hours to restock their items. As for python its not a spoofer. Yes you can see whats around you but that doesn't mean I'll find stuff I need. Even if I manage to find it the window is at max 15 minutes to get to it. For example I can't find water pokemon except for a handful i've seen spawning randomly. Its clear I'm going to physically drive to an area they spawn at like a beach.

Acinixys

Had my first GO experience tonight. Went to the beachfront with my SO and found a shit load of other people playing. Ended up at this sweet lure drop with around 25 other players. Even got to chat with a friend I havent seen in ages. Was great fun.
JtiKQlj.jpg

xkramz

Had my first GO experience tonight. Went to the beachfront with my SO and found a shit load of other people playing. Ended up at this sweet lure drop with around 25 other players. Even got to chat with a friend I havent seen in ages. Was great fun.
That 1% battery is holding on strong

I'd be all for this if they'd give us rural folks a bone.

Sorry, but I'll continue spoofing when I need to restock. I'm not wasting half an hour to get to the nearest PokeStop only to sit there for 2 hours while I hope to god I get a few Poke/Greatballs instead of the hundreds of potions and revives I find.

I mean, if I get banned, I get banned. But I'm never going to be able to play this game at all if I don't spoof. I don't spoof to catch Pokemon, I don't even spoof to lured spots. But the game simply isn't playable unless I spoof every once and a while.
Fair enough reason to spoof.

I'd do the same, as I'm in a similar boat, but I'm also in the boat where I don't want to risk getting my account banned.

While they definitely need to add more stops for rural players you have to remember this is a game. Players aren't entitled to free stuff.
Every player should be treated equally though. You shouldn't have a situation like we currently have where players living in certain locations have an endless supply of Pokeballs, while other players have none.

Pokeballs are essential to the core of the game.

This is supposed to be a game about exploration, with a heavy emphasis on walking around. This isn't supposed to be a game where I need to hop in my car once every couple days and drive downtown just to replenish my supply of something everybody downtown has an abundance of. Maybe this would make sense if it also followed the logic of the mainline series where the city-folk would then have to venture out our way into the wild in order to catch Pokemon, but that's not how it works, and instead people living downtown have more of everything. There's literally no downside to just walking around downtown.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
While they definitely need to add more stops for rural players you have to remember this is a game. Players aren't entitled to free stuff. And yes they should sell pokeballs. You're only thinking about distance but what about time? Not everyone has the time to sit at pokestops for a few hours to restock their items.
Uh. I don't do that, and I don't buy pokeballs. I get what I can with the time I have and the routes I enjoy, and when I run out, I go to stops and resupply. It's bizarre to see "players aren't entitled to free stuff" when I have gotten everything I've wanted to have a pretty great experience for free by virtue of where I live- and I don't even live in a big city.
As for python its not a spoofer. Yes you can see whats around you but that doesn't mean I'll find stuff I need. Even if I manage to find it the window is at max 15 minutes to get to it. For example I can't find water pokemon except for a handful i've seen spawning randomly. Its clear I'm going to physically drive to an area they spawn at like a beach.
So far as I understand the application of the technology you can see what is anywhere, not just around you simply by plugging in geographic coordinates. Unless I'm mistaken it will also reveal patterns (or "nests") in certain areas over time, not simply temporary spawns. But in any case I didn't think it was equivalent to spoofing, it's just a different thing.

Since the nearby tracker is completely broken I really can't bring myself to care that much about this, I understand perfectly why people are using it.

Crumbtiny

Question about putting eggs in incubators. Will they stay there until they hatch or do I have to walk the necessary distance in a certain amount of time. Basically, I'm home for the evening, but can I go ahead and start the incubator now (might walk to a neighbor's place in a bit).

Or should I wait to incubate until I plan on doing a good bit of walking for awhile?

Complistic

Question about putting eggs in incubators. Will they stay there until they hatch or do I have to walk the necessary distance in a certain amount of time. Basically, I'm home for the evening, but can I go ahead and start the incubator now (might walk to a neighbor's place in a bit).

Or should I wait to incubate until I plan on doing a good bit of walking for awhile?

They'll chill out in there until you walk the required distance. As long as you need.

Crumbtiny

They'll chill out in there until you walk the required distance. As long as you need.

Perfect. Thanks!

Wife and I are having a lot of fun with this app. I've barely ever played Pokemon before, but enjoyed this so much over the past week I went and bought Omega Ruby.

Uh. I don't do that, and I don't buy pokeballs. I get what I can with the time I have and the routes I enjoy, and when I run out, I go to stops and resupply. It's bizarre to see "players aren't entitled to free stuff" when I have gotten everything I've wanted to have a pretty great experience for free by virtue of where I live- and I don't even live in a big city.

So far as I understand the application of the technology you can see what is anywhere, not just around you simply by plugging in geographic coordinates. Unless I'm mistaken it will also reveal patterns (or "nests") in certain areas over time, not simply temporary spawns. But in any case I didn't think it was equivalent to spoofing, it's just a different thing.

Since the nearby tracker is completely broken I really can't bring myself to care that much about this, I understand perfectly why people are using it.

Yes you've gotten items from stops by investing the time to do so. You paid in effort and time (possibly even gas money). You didn't just run a program to give you free items while you sat at home. Theres a huge difference. Yes you can input coordinates of any area and see what spawns there. Again you have 15 minutes to get there so unless you're planning on doing research on locations you want to visit to grab some pokemon then thats all its good for outside of your immediate area.

Fair enough reason to spoof.

I'd do the same, as I'm in a similar boat, but I'm also in the boat where I don't want to risk getting my account banned.

Every player should be treated equally though. You shouldn't have a situation like we currently have where players living in certain locations have an endless supply of Pokeballs, while other players have none.

Pokeballs are essential to the core of the game.

This is supposed to be a game about exploration, with a heavy emphasis on walking around. This isn't supposed to be a game where I need to hop in my car once every couple days and drive downtown just to replenish my supply of something everybody downtown has an abundance of. Maybe this would make sense if it also followed the logic of the mainline series where the city-folk would then have to venture out our way into the wild in order to catch Pokemon, but that's not how it works, and instead people living downtown have more of everything. There's literally no downside to just walking around downtown.

Equally? People in rural areas are worse off then city players in pokemon go. Theres no denying that. However isn't spoofing to acquire items put you at an advantage over people in your area that are playing the game legitimately? Players who sacrifice their time to go to stops and sit there to collect items? How is that equal? If it were just pokeballs that would be one thing however you're also getting more pokemon (because of eggs) and potions needed to continuously take over gyms. Yes they need to add more pokestops and I hope they do that right away but lets not act like spoofing is playing fair. Its not.

Caught cp730 growlith today! according to evolution calc its going to be abot cp1700 when i evolve it to arcanine.

And I got my first 10k egg, finally!

Had a fun little adventure involving a certain set of critters this morning, first there was this horribly inopportune moment for 3G to disconnect on the drive into town
Then later on the game attempted to redeem itself with this beautiful spawn inside of town but the fecker got away after one measly throw:
and 10 short minutes later the game deciced it had teased me enough and gave me one of the family to keep for myself:

Playing since launch and this was my first time seeing any of these, all in the span of a few hours, crazy!

lt519

Chicago is an effing goldmine. Lures on every corner and super rare popping up everywhere. Just caught a Lapras and Eggxecutor.

Evolved 7 new Pokemon from all the water types I got and got a diglett and Eggxecute for the first time.

Kinda looking forward to hitting 20 so I can stop catching trash and just save everything for the high levels/ones I want.

Yep, that's why tonight I hope to hit 13-14 and then lucky egg to 20...

I know like 1-2 other people who have been playing non stop and are 25 or so.

But I only level up when I go to the park, so like twice a week.

TheFlow

Banned
I am lv 19 and caught this today. So cool to catch a rare pokemon but it is so weak .

Then a haunter poped up in my living room while watching netflix. very creepy

PSFan

It does affect the competitive pvp side of the game for sure.

Going to a gym and battling some pokemon somebody left there isn't really pvp. And it doesn't seem all that competitive either. Seeing other trainers on your map and being able to battle them would be competitive pvp to me.

Arrrammis

And considering how tight it gets on exp after you caught most of them.. don't fancy grinding trash for useless levels :(

I agree. There are other ways to level up quickly besides evolving and then transferring Pidgeys/Caterpies/Weedles, like fighting gyms (tip: you get way more EXP and reputation if the pokemon you're using is a lower CP than the one that you're fighting), but the "natural" exp your get from catching new pokemon and evolving pokemon in to new forms drastically drops off once you start filling up your pokedex.

Personally I just capture and then often immediately transfer any Pidgeys/Caterpies/Weedles I come across, since they are everywhere, and once I get about 75 total ready to evolve, I pickup a lucky egg and get a level or so. It's annoying if you're consciously trying to level up, but I just kind of collect and then check how many I have after a few days. Right now I'm really going after eggs, trying to burn through all of my 2km eggs to open up space for a 10km one(hopefully).

So a bit of advice por favor... my rival coworkers all have Vaporeons at the nearest gym and I'm on the cusp of evolving my own Eevee. Should I go with a Vaporeon as well or go Jolteon to counter?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So a bit of advice por favor... my rival coworkers all have Vaporeons at the nearest gym and I'm on the cusp of evolving my own Eevee. Should I go with a Vaporeon as well or go Jolteon to counter?
Even though Jolteon is one of my top 5 favorite mons, sadly Vaporeon is the overall better evolution in this game, so unless you're well stocked for high CP stuff Vaporeon is a pretty solid bet.

Equally? People in rural areas are worse off then city players in pokemon go. Theres no denying that. However isn't spoofing to acquire items put you at an advantage over people in your area that are playing the game legitimately? Players who sacrifice their time to go to stops and sit there to collect items? How is that equal? If it were just pokeballs that would be one thing however you're also getting more pokemon (because of eggs) and potions needed to continuously take over gyms. Yes they need to add more pokestops and I hope they do that right away but lets not act like spoofing is playing fair. Its not.
You're implying there's a way to have an advantage over other players. There's absolutely no competitive aspect to this game as it is. When another player approaches you, they ask for your level, not how many Pokemon you've caught. And once again, level is determined heavily by the number of Pidgeys you've evolved while using Lucky Eggs.

Someone who lives within a mile of 50 Pokestops isn't "sacrificing their time to go to stops and sit there to collect items". That's what a rural player has to do if they want to have even remotely enough items to do anything in the game, and even then, that's implying they have even one Pokestop within walking distance of them.

Also, the rest of your post implies you haven't played this game even remotely long enough to comment on spoofing. If you spoof the way this poster implies he is, he's not having the game auto-walk him to a Pokestop. He's having it warp him there so he can get his items. This doesn't count toward egg hatching. And even then, eggs supply you with a massively lesser amount of Pokemon compared to literally every other method. There's also absolutely no shortage of potions. This poster is actually likely throwing away potions like the rest of us in order to make room for more Pokeballs.

If someone is using spoofing to acquire Pokeballs, what's the difference between that player and the one who is just buying Pokeballs from the store? You as another player cannot possibly tell the difference between the two of them.

Lukemon

Oh my god. Popped a 1709 Snorlax from an egg. Praise the Pokegods this fine day.

I must see this beautiful bastard, and show it to my near-hatched 10k - my first and only, at level 17 - in the hope that it decides to do the right thing. If I get a Jynx (they're everywhere here) or an Onix, I'll be livid.

Joqu

I ran this and totally forgot about it, hope you're still reading because that squirtle is very close and has 12ish minutes left!

Would you be willing to run mine too? Not gonna go out anymore at this hour but I'm curious what the spawning is like around here.

51.218642, 4.423489

So apparently I can't battle gyms (friendly or rival) anymore. Was taking down a Valor gym and after the first battle started I got kicked out abruptly. Now any battle I try to start instantly ejects me as the "GO!" screen fades. This after several reboots too.

halp?

MajorMane

So apparently I can't battle gyms (friendly or rival) anymore. Was taking down a Valor gym and after the first battle started I got kicked out abruptly. Now any battle I try to start instantly ejects me as the "GO!" screen fades. This after several reboots too.

halp?

It is a glitch, but there's no sure fire way of fixing it except time.

Is Pokevision legit?

Technically it's against Niantic's TOS or something, I believe. It relies on a form of GPS spoofing to let you know what Pokemon are there.

ViciousDS

Banned
just downloaded the pokemon go live map program....fucking awesome.

Sync it to where you live and then you can share the map to grab data from your PC to display it to your phone even gives you a URL to send to friends to see the map as well!! It also....auto updates on its own!!! Don't need to run a script a million times! It just runs forever!

Just caught a pincer a few minutes ago.....really nice when its insanely hot out and since the trackers broken......fuck it!

Chaos17

Glad for ya that you had a good experience and the servers didn't crashed otherwise that would've ruined the experience, imo.

Astral

I just caught a Growlithe three blocks from my house thanks to that Python thing. It was accurate as hell. It stopped generating pokemon on the map though. What gives?

Lunar FC

why do people keep misspelling pokemon names

Just to spite you.

just downloaded the pokemon go live map program....fucking awesome.

Sync it to where you live and then you can share the map to grab data from your PC to display it to your phone even gives you a URL to send to friends to see the map as well!! It also....auto updates on its own!!! Don't need to run a script a million times! It just runs forever!

Just caught a pincer a few minutes ago.....really nice when its insanely hot out and since the trackers broken......fuck it!

Got a guide to doing this? Tired of this busted tracker.

You're implying there's a way to have an advantage over other players. There's absolutely no competitive aspect to this game as it is. When another player approaches you, they ask for your level, not how many Pokemon you've caught. And once again, level is determined heavily by the number of Pidgeys you've evolved while using Lucky Eggs.

Someone who lives within a mile of 50 Pokestops isn't "sacrificing their time to go to stops and sit there to collect items". That's what a rural player has to do if they want to have even remotely enough items to do anything in the game, and even then, that's implying they have even one Pokestop within walking distance of them.

Also, the rest of your post implies you haven't played this game even remotely long enough to comment on spoofing. If you spoof the way this poster implies he is, he's not having the game auto-walk him to a Pokestop. He's having it warp him there so he can get his items. This doesn't count toward egg hatching. And even then, eggs supply you with a massively lesser amount of Pokemon compared to literally every other method. There's also absolutely no shortage of potions. This poster is actually likely throwing away potions like the rest of us in order to make room for more Pokeballs.

If someone is using spoofing to acquire Pokeballs, what's the difference between that player and the one who is just buying Pokeballs from the store? You as another player cannot possibly tell the difference between the two of them.

Yes I know that spoofing warps you and I know it doesn't count the distance towards eggs. It still supplies you with a steady supply of eggs where you can get better pokemon and extra candy out of them. More candy means more evolutions and fast levels. Which means higher cp pokemon encountered giving you an edge. And yes there is a competitive aspect because gyms exist. As we all know taking gyms gives us coins/stardust which is another advantage. Of course you're sacrificing time to sit at a stop. People have lives you know. Not everyone can spend hours at a pokestop when they have actual things to do. However at home you can easily micromanage collecting items from a pokestop while doing whatever stuff you need to do. Unless you live somewhere with a pokestop on you then even if a pokestop is within walking distance thats still time out of your day to sit there collecting stuff. You get what? 3-5 items per 5 minutes? Depending on how much you play you'll have to invest a good chunk of time sitting at a pokestop if you're not buying them from the store. A player buying pokeballs from the store has to pay money first off. Plus they don't get the extras like eggs, berries, upgraded pokeballs etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom