• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ironmang

My buddies and I created dummy accounts to spoof just to see what the situation was like in really high populated areas like central park. More of a testing ground than anything else to try and confirm some suspicions about rarity vs user density. Our findings definitely showed a direct correlation between the two. Managed to hit level 10 and get nearly 50 unique in about an hour. The variation is what blew my mind. You see every type regardless of the location. It definitely led some credence to the theory that the more people you have in the area, the more varied and rare the types of pokemon you see.

Honestly, I can't see the fun in playing like that. It gets so boring. It also just made me irritated that I was getting things at such a low level that I'd never even see in my current area.

It's mostly how I play during the week since there's barely any stops around here and the same 5 pokemon constantly. Can't justify driving 30-40 minutes to lured pokestops every day. Had they designed the game with players in low population areas in mind then I would gladly go for random 15-20 minute walks around my neighborhood playing. I'm more into the collecting aspect than the gym battles anyways.

kingslunk

I've went full IV hunting/theory crafting. Near perfect poliwhirl 14/15/15. Maxed out cp. Bout to evolve him to poliwrath. Ridiculously high DPS moveset also. He's going to be a gym defending machine.

MajorMane

Does it matter what level you are when you evolve something or is it just the CP of the pokemon that matters?

Just the CP of the Pokemon. Each Pokemon has about an average multiplier they'll experience when they evolve, no matter the trainer level.

EDIT: For example, when Eevee evolves into Vaporeon, the average CP multiplier is something like 2.76.

This means that a CP100 Eevee can be expected to be a CP276 Vaporeon. A CP500 Eevee can be expected to be a CP1380 Vaporeon.

Does it matter what level you are when you evolve something or is it just the CP of the pokemon that matters?
The most important thing is what you're evolving and what moves it gets but you wont' know what moves it'll have until you've evolved it (they're re-randomised when a pokemon evolve)
That said, if you don't want to spend a lot of stardust and candies upgrading it, a high CP helps :p

All your trainer level changes is the maximum level your pokemon can currently be or be upgraded to (it's your trainer level + 1.5, each upgrade is half a level :3 )

MajorMane

Haven't been able to log in. Are the servers down?

http://ispokemongodownornot.com/

8364c89c113e13cbf8171cf9366de88e.png

b49c5a3671a0aa115671801285aa822c.png

Seems okay.

Midas

Just the CP of the Pokemon. Each Pokemon has about an average multiplier they'll experience when they evolve, no matter the trainer level.

EDIT: For example, when Eevee evolves into Vaporeon, the average CP multiplier is something like 2.76.

This means that a CP100 Eevee can be expected to be a CP276 Vaporeon. A CP500 Eevee can be expected to be a CP1380 Vaporeon.

Thanks! Is there a maximum CP or does it depend on pokemons? I need to find a magikarp with high CP before evolving it. :)

Edit: found a FAQ in the first post.

Thanks! Is there a maximum CP or does it depend on pokemons? I need to find a magikarp with high CP before evolving it. :)

Maximum CP depends on the pokemon species, the individual pokemon IVs and your current trainer level. E.g. a Pidgie will never have as high a CP as an equal level Vaporeon no matter what your trainer level is :p

It's mostly how I play during the week since there's barely any stops around here and the same 5 pokemon constantly. Can't justify driving 30-40 minutes to lured pokestops every day. Had they designed the game with players in low population areas in mind then I would gladly go for random 15-20 minute walks around my neighborhood playing. I'm more into the collecting aspect than the gym battles anyways.

These are all valid concerns. I mean, it's also illogical and pretty unnatural: put Gyarados in the middle of a freaking lake/into the wild instead of putting it near the subway tunnel entrance.

shandy706

Are they ever going to fix the 3 paw print glitch?????

Is there a fix I've missed? Both the Pokémon type nearby and their distance is complete trash for me.

MajorMane

Magikarp's highest CP is supposedly around 262, but that's probably after doing some powering up.

The highest I've found in the wild is around CP142. (Trainer level 23, can't remember when I caught it.) That's the one I'm saving up to evolve unless I find another. The good news is that you'll be catching a ton of wild Pokemon to get a Gyarados. Good luck!

Are they ever going to fix the 3 paw print glitch?????

Is there a fix I've missed? Both the Pokémon type nearby and their distance is complete trash for me.
It appears that the big is due to the incorrect API key used to access Google maps. I would imagine then that the steps are leading to 0,0 or Google HQ.

j-wood

When looking at the attacks a pokemon has, does the number mean how much damage it does?

So for example, if I have two pikachus:

1st pika has a normal attack with 5, and electric attack with 65 but a cp of 256

2nd pika has a normal attack with 10, and electric attack with 65, but a cp of 172

Should I transfer the 1st pika and just power up the 2nd?

When looking at the attacks a pokemon has, does the number mean how much damage it does?

1st pika has a normal attack with 5, and electric attack with 65 but a cp of 256

2nd pika has a normal attack with 10, and electric attack with 65, but a cp of 172

2nd one sounds like it has higher attack IVs, no idea what its stamina (hp) and defence IVs are with that info though. If you just care about hitting things hard then yeah, the 2nd one is better, but if you want it to be able to take some hits I'd check their IVs first via an IV calculator

edit: in a nutshell, the only things that differs between pokemon of the same species are their level and IVs. level is what you increase when you upgrade them but IVs are static and set when you catch/hatch them, not even evolution changes them.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

Those are both quite low CP in general though- I wouldn't actually spend the stardust to power up either one unless having a competitive Pikachu asap is your #1 priority

MajorMane

Its pretty dumb that I've used about 25 ultra balls and haven't caught a single Pokemon with them

I used to be upset that Ultra Balls are pretty damn rare, even after being high enough level. Now I just don't even use them because: 1) The ball will curve or miss spectacularly 2) They really suck in my experience.

Ultra Balls suck.

j-wood

Those are both quite low CP in general though- I wouldn't actually spend the stardust to power up either one unless having a competitive Pikachu asap is your #1 priority

I don't understand how to get higher CP pokemon from the start. I'm level 13, but everything I've caught is in the 200 range. Last night I hatched a 10k egg and it was a magmar with 250 cp. WTF.

lt519

That's cause cause you have use it all to even get close to level 21 due to that XP grind. LoL

Yup haha, I consider my goal of leveling complete, now it's just trying to max out my Pokemon that I have through new evolutions and grind out new Pokemon through more eggs and evolutions. My Pokédex is still only at 82.

Found eggs the best way to go about this game. I always have a 10k, two 5ks, and a 2k in progress. So the incubators were a nice reward.

Boooooooo!

First 10km egg was an 453 Onix. Cool.

Second 10km egg was an 370 Onix...

Not cool...

Rock candy is delicious.

I used to be upset that Ultra Balls are pretty damn rare, even after being high enough level. Now I just don't even use them because: 1) The ball will curve or miss spectacularly 2) They really suck in my experience.

Ultra Balls suck.
I've also realized I've got to stop driving 3-4 city miles for a semi rare pokemon that I saw with python script. Cause there's a good chance they'll get away and ill just waste 20 minutes.

gutshot

That's cause cause you have use it all to even get close to level 21 due to that XP grind. LoL

I was able to pop a Lucky Egg as soon as I hit 20 and level up to 21 in about 45 mins.

Saving up my Pidgeys and Weedles again for another evolve spree for my second egg, which should get me to 22. After that I'm screwed though, lol.

I don't understand how to get higher CP pokemon from the start. I'm level 13, but everything I've caught is in the 200 range. Last night I hatched a 10k egg and it was a magmar with 250 cp. WTF.
The level of pokemon you catch/hatch is random but it's capped at your trainer level + 1.5 (how close a pokemon is to this cap is represented by the white arc above them on their info screen, the more full it is, the closer to max current level they are, while if it's all the way to to left and empty then they're just level 1) So... the higher your level the higher the CP of the pokemon can be.

Problem is, while trainer level ups the max level (and therefore CP) of pokemon you'll find it never changes the minimum so you'll still find lots of lower levelled pokemon no matter what. Just gotta keep catching and hatching if you want better I'm afraid :3

edit: probably not important for you at your current level but it's worth knowing further down the line that the max starting level of a hatched pokemon is 20 and the max starting level of a wild pokemon (aka the ones you catch) is 30. Max Trainer/Pokemon level is 40 so you're never going to hit absolute maximum without upgrading them eventually.

Chaos17

My third day, I walked a bit more than today and jesus I've the stamina of a grandpa! I'm happy that I brough along some water but I did get hungry along the way, lol

No big catch today, met a lot of Zubats that I some point I wonered if I shall raise one and name it : BATMAN!

I'm also discoverint that my little town have a lot churches and around my house, lol I saw a bit more of players today, still didn't get the chance to say hello. 。゚( ゚இ‸இ゚+)゚。

So are they gonna patch this game at some point? So many problems still...

I'm just happy that even after Japan launch servers weren't down all day.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
All my 10k eggs so far have been from the 10k "tier" *shrug*
Yea, my gf got an Eevee from her 10km egg.... I fear for my own. D:
Eevee is in the 10k tier. I don't see them very often and I'd be happy with one :( I've only been able to evolve one once so far.

I would be pissed if I got a weedle. But not a magikarp. Universe give me your magikarps plz.

My magical massive magikarp migration canal is so depressing with the nearby tracker borked. I can't find anything. ;_;
Get higher level, haha.

20 is the soft cap you are aiming for. I started seeing 500+ on the regular around 15 I believe, as of hitting 18 last night the ~800 range is pretty common.

lt519

I've gotten 5 Eevee from 10km eggs. I'm never mad, they are usually higher CP than I find in the wild and I can usually instantly evolve them into top tier fighters. I'd be more pissed with a Jynx or something.

So is the nearby footprints thing broken for everybody right now?

Is there any kind of work around besides just walking until something falls totally off your radar?

Using the ingress map to find stops. They're the blue dots, right?
Not an ingress player so I don't know for sure but I believe tiny blue dots are XM which are used for pokemon spawning rather than pokestops/gyms

So is the nearby footprints thing broken for everybody right now?

Is there any kind of work around besides just walking until something falls totally off your radar?
It's been utterly borked for everyone for a while now i'm afraid :/ Only way to find stuff with it is to restart the app, check what's about, go to a new location and restart the app to see if stuff has vanished and go back the other way if it did :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom