• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Server issues, having no local gyms/stops and crashes are really killing this game for me and my son

I took my son out this morning to beat some gyms and catch some new Pokemon, the nearest poke stop is 30 minute walk away, we were about a hours walk away from home and after beating two gyms, we were chasing a new Pokemon and the game died, ispokemondown.com showed everything was critical.

We waited and waited and then decided to just walk home

Just completely soured our experience.

We went earlier this week, used a lure, every Pokemon we caught froze and crashed the app, counted in the pokedex but not caught even though we did actually catch them.

Sigh

Venom Fox

Banned
If PTC login isn't working (http://ispokemongodownornot.com/), then things like Pokevision (which I assume relies on PTC login like most other scripts) won't work either. Also, their servers are usually getting hammered too.

I think so. Scanning keeps failing for me.

To do the API stuff that the python script and by extension Pokevision.com does, they have to be signed in via PTC. Since PTC is down, I doubt that the python script or Pokevision will work ATM.
Should've figured Haha. Oh well, Good old walking with the the broken nearby feature will have to do.

So when I'm ready to evolve a Pokemon do I just choose the one with the best CP? What are things to look out for when choosing which Pokemon to evolve?

Firemind

PTC and Japan release aside, I've actually made progress today. Niantic definitely improved server stability. Europe here. Maybe the infrastructure is different in the states.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So when I'm ready to evolve a Pokemon do I just choose the one with the best CP? What are things to look out for when choosing which Pokemon to evolve?
I just finally (against my nature) dove into the nitty gritty and got a real answer to this. I'm not really sure how much I can bring myself to care but what you want if you're really trying to min-max are to compute its individual values (IVs) and choose the closest one to perfect to evolve and/or level up.

To figure IVs out, use this calculator: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...aJlSZY47sPME2Uk/htmlview?usp=sharing&sle=true

IMO, for most players just looking at the CP arc is going to be good enough, lol.

Firemind

I just finally (against my nature) dove into the nitty gritty and got a real answer to this. I'm not really sure how much I can bring myself to care but what you want if you're really trying to min-max are to compute its individual values (IVs) and choose the closest one to perfect to evolve and/or level up.

To figure IVs out, use this calculator: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...aJlSZY47sPME2Uk/htmlview?usp=sharing&sle=true

IMO, for most players just looking at the CP arc is going to be good enough, lol.
Moves will always be random upon evolution, right? So even your base attack can change?

Syder

Using this Pidgey strategy for the first time. I have 78 Pidgeys and 255 Pidgey candies and this site is still telling me to catch 33 more. This isn't good for my feet.

Nope, I was actually planning to head out to my nearby pokestop cluster to hang out and stock pokeballs but the Unable to connect to server message popped up. And has been for the last couple of hours.

US player?

Yeah, SoCal. I just kept pressing retry at my desk until it finally loaded.

Edit: I'm getting the white poke ball constantly spinning, so it's not a great connection.

GeNoMe

I logged out of my PTC account an hour ago. Still unable to get in :'( Missed a hot spot full of lures with apparently loads of sea Pokémon. FML

L.O.R.D

ok,this is bullshit,today i ran about 10 KM,only to find now the meter on the eggs show only 1.2KM
WTF
i heard it wont calculate if run above 20KM speed,so i need to walk and trot?

Acinixys

ok,this is bullshit,today i ran about 10 KM,only to find now the meter on the eggs show only 1.2KM
WTF

The app has to be active the whole time. If your screen blacks out due to power saving the app hibernates and doesnt count anything

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
PTC is shakily coming back up now according to the metrics.

Man a bar downtown is doing $20 unlimited drinks all night for anyone who shows the app, I wonder if they are even prepared. This would be a great opportunity for Uber to cash in too...

L.O.R.D

The app has to be active the whole time. If your screen blacks out due to power saving the app hibernates and doesnt count anything

what about the power saving option inside the game? if i don't look it will turn to black but still keep me inside the game.

anyone know the real maximum speed inside the car? (it's 50 C in my city)

Arrrammis

WTF

Kind of. The tracking for hatching eggs is a complete mess.
-There is a speed limit to prevent the eggs from hatching while you're driving, but the speed tracking is so messed up I've clocked about half my total distance traveled in game on my daily drive to work, with my walks/runs/bike rides at other times not always being counted properly.
-It tracks by taking a point every few minutes and drawing a straight line to the previous point to calculate distance, so if you're going in a circle then it won't count anywhere near what you actually traveled.
-If your phone goes to sleep, tabs over to another app, or does anything else that causes the app to lose connection, it stops tracking your movement until it reconnects.

Hopefully there is some fix incoming, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

what about the power saving option inside the game? if i don't look it will turn to black but still keep me inside the game.

anyone know the real maximum speed inside the car? (it's 50 C in my city)

I am not sure what you mean by the real maximum speed inside the car. The power saving mode just dims the screen when you turn the phone upside-down, but it doesn't prevent your phone from locking/going to sleep due to inactivity. Some people have also reported that the power saver mode messes with their GPS, but I believe that is a side effect of the inactivity thing.

Chaos17

WTF

Beside to have the app open all the time, there is also this to take in account:

So there's been a lot of lamenting and gnashing of teeth over the supposed inaccuracy of the egg distance tracking. I think this all stems from an incorrect assumption of how Pokemon Go tracks distance. I realised I've got so used to how Ingress does it, that it didn't even occur to me that others might not realise and would be wasting time doing it the 'wrong' way. So let's begin

Pokemon Go does not use a pedometer/measure steps

This one I verified purely by chance, but I suspected was the case anyway. I was playing Go at the office and had a blip in my GPS. My avatar jumped halfway down the street, but before the GPS resolve itself and my avatar returned to where it was, an egg hatch triggered. I hadn't touched my phone, it hadn't moved or been nudged. But it had, according to my GPS, moved 500 meters down the road. And that's what triggered the egg hatch: distance not steps

Distance tracking doesn't work how you think it does

Many people are assuming that distance tracking, while the app is open, works like apps like RunKeeper or Strava; the app measures your exact route, every turn and deviation, every meter. This is not the case; Pokemon Go appears to work like Ingress (unsurprisingly), using refresh displacement measurement. What this means is Go notes your location, then waits an amount of time. After that time has passed, it measures your location again and works out the straight line distance between the two points.

What this means is, if you're walking a weaving path, back and forth, and happen to be quite close to your starting point after the first location check, it won't measure the entire distance you've walked in the intervening time. It'll just measure the straight line distance, which can be considerably less.

I verified this over three days; I spent my lunch walking around a my local park (which I know the circumference of) and observed the egg progress in the app, which was running the whole time (this is important, the app only tracks while open). The egg progress didn't go up as much as my actual distance, which is the issue people are reporting. Then yesterday, I carefully measured my walk to work progress. 1.6km in a pretty much straight line. All my eggs got 1.6km progress. Did the same thing today, 1.6km walked, 1.6km tracked.

tl;dr Egg distance tracking is not continuous tracking, so walking in circles will take longer. Better to walk in straight lines.

EDIT There seem to be some misconceptions about how GPS tech works and also why Niantic doesn't use pedometer data

Pedometer Data - This is stupidly easy to fake, and therefore cheat at the game. Like 'tape to the side of a washer machine' easy. Now for devices like fitbit, where you'd only be cheating yourself, this isn't a problem. Wanna fake 10,000 steps, sure thing, but you ain't getting any thinner. But PoGo is a community game, and cheating hurts everyone. So Niantic have steered clear of using pedometer data.

How GPS Works - When you're using RunKeeper or Map My Runs or Strava or whatever, the app appears to track your movement very accurately. This is true, but it's also being handled entirely on your phone, there's no server involved. You see, your phone will download a local map (or using one saved in the cache) which has gps data built into it. It then gets your position from your GPS module, which doesn't use phone data. You see, GPS uses it's own data overhead, which is why dedicated GPS units are free to operate. So when your fitness app is drawing a nice little line of your wanderings, it's using free GPS data plus map data, no server. Now, when you finish your run or walk or whatever, the data is packaged up into a GPX file, which is a log of your activity, and this activity is pushed to the server. This is why, if your app crashes, you lose your run. GPX has a header and a footer and needs to be saved out. Now, if this happened in GO, it'd be awful (especially considering how crashy the app is) and reporting your location continuously to the server would kill the servers (even more so than now) and murder your data allowance. So rather than creating a series of large GPX files and bundling them off, which would be much slower to update, it pings your location once every time frame, lets the server work out your distance based on straight lines, updates your account information (distance walked, eggs etc) and then pings it back to your account. Quicker, less data, more robust.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemongo/...year_ingress_guy_back_with_some_egg_research/

Arrrammis

Had the been any comments about the random curve on great balls. Just wasted like 15 to get a golbat lol

I've noticed that the stronger a pokeball is, the more curve it tends to get. I'd recommend trying to use the curve every time, even with normal pokeballs, and then you shouldn't have any more problems. Spin the ball a few times and then quickly throw it out at an angle so that it curves back towards the pokemon. It takes a while to get used to, but it's definitely worth it when you never have a pokeball randomly fly off-screen.

lt519

Got enough Gastly to evolve my Haunter but my Haunter is really low CP. May have to wait for 25 more candies so I can evolve a better Haunter before evolving into a Gengar.

Also two 5k eggs in a row turned into Ryhorn. That's enough candy now to evolve him and haven't even caught one in the wild.

I'm at 566 Pokemon caught and 54 eggs hatched.

Can somebody explain to me please. Why dont i see pokemons when at a module. Going with two apple player and i never see them at the modules, in the wild usually we see the same. Realy sucks ;_; and takes the fun for the whole group. Using Android S7 edge btw.

Cudder

The game still counts your distance walked if you're in game menus or a battle while walking right? You don't have to be on the actual map screen?

Glix

I just hatched four 2km eggs. Pidge, Pidge, Rat, Pidge.

Fuck you, game.

Also, I have hatched 39 eggs, have 9 more in my inventory now, and I have NEVER gotten a 10k :-(

Joco

So what are people's thoughts on Pokevision? Basically cheating?

Also does Niantic/Pokemon company have any claim to issue a cease and desist for these types of services?

Also does Niantic/Pokemon company have any claim to issue a cease and desist for these types of services?

A lot of people are justifying use of Pokevision and similar products due to the "nearby pokemon" feature in the game itself being broken for over a week now.

Pachimari

I just experienced the curved ball for the first time tonight, I was very confused. But I quickly adjusted and made it work, wasn't big of an issue, it just surprised me. So I spent like 5 Pokeballs, 1 greatball and one berry on a Pidgeotto that I traded in for x1 Pidgey candy lol.

A lot of people are justifying use of Pokevision and similar products due to the "nearby pokemon" feature in the game itself being broken for over a week now.

Pretty much. Spent 5 successive days walking around my dorms to no avail when it said there were a couple Pokemon I didn't have as the closest to me. Pokevision showed those were probably wasted hours and all lies. I'm haunted by Charmanders silhouettes now. Until the nearby/footprint thing is fixed I'll keep using to check it for those Pokemon. I don't go around seeking out where Pokemon I don't have are (to rush there or find out nests), but I check around me to see if I won't waste my time.

Arrrammis

I consider it cheating, but I don't consider it completely gamebreaking or completely unfair. You still have to physically go outside and go to the spot in order to catch the pokemon, unlike the GPS spoofers, but that's a whole other problem. These websites are against the TOS, and I expect Niantic to go after them at some point, but right now they are having lots of higher priority problems. I believe these websites will stop seeing so much traffic once Niantic fixes the tracking system and/or implement some better guidance (general direction or smaller footprint margins would be nice, I've walked half of a mile without the footprints changing back when tracking was "working").

eek5

Yes it's cheating. The way it works is basically spoofing a client and having that client walk around to triangulate pokemon position. Everything it does is against TOS (multi-accounting, faking the client to authenticate, faking location, etc.

Razmos

Pokevision doesn't even work for me, always says that it's unable to scan and will try again in 30 seconds lol. The very few times it has worked I've never seen anything decent nearby

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom