• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eek5

I consider it cheating, but I don't consider it completely gamebreaking or completely unfair. You still have to physically go outside and go to the spot in order to catch the pokemon, unlike the GPS spoofers, but that's a whole other problem. These websites are against the TOS, and I expect Niantic to go after them at some point, but right now they are having lots of higher priority problems. I believe these websites will stop seeing so much traffic once Niantic fixes the tracking system and/or implement some better guidance (general direction or smaller footprint margins would be nice, I've walked half of a mile without the footprints changing back when tracking was "working").

It's going to die because the core of how pokevision/pogomap/etc/ work is a pogoapi that people are using to develop bots that can farm pokemon, spin stops, etc.

Once trading comes out Niantic will have to crack down on the botting hard.

Zafir

A lot of people are justifying use of Pokevision and similar products due to the "nearby pokemon" feature in the game itself being broken for over a week now.

Yeah, I mean it's pretty pointless trying to hunt Pokemon sometimes without it.

I mean at work there's a spawn outside and I can usually guess when a Pokemon is there based on the near by list even despite it being broken(Mainly because there is two water spawns next to each other). Outside that it's potluck, unless you use the other trick, which is loading up Ingress.

Level 17 and its hardddd to level now. I'm trying to wait until I'm full of Pidgeys and Rattatas before popping off my Lucky Egg. I haven't really leveled any Pokemon up yet...still only have a few CP800~. Is it wise to wait until level 20 to start leveling and taking down gyms?

Arrrammis

Level 17 and its hardddd to level now. I'm trying to wait until I'm full of Pidgeys and Rattatas before popping off my Lucky Egg. I haven't really leveled any Pokemon up yet...still only have a few CP800~. Is it wise to wait until level 20 to start leveling and taking down gyms?

Not really. You can get quite a bit of EXP from taking down gyms, plus the daily stardust+coins reward that you can collect from the shop screen (tap the shield in the top right corner to collect, you get 10 coins and 500 stardust for each gym you control). Even if you only beat one of the pokemon in a gym, you still get EXP and reputation for it, so there's not too much reason not to try it out.

Zafir

Depends on where you live.

In my area gyms are held by anything from 500-1100.

I imagine cities are higher though, I'm on the outskirts, so there's not a massive amount of stuff around.

MajorMane

Earlier today I shared that I caught a Kabuto. Well, just hatched a 10km egg and out pops...

.eJwFwVEOxBAQANC7-F_GYNBr7AE2okKTlobp12bvvu99xTNPsYnGfK9Nqf1YecxdLh4z1SLrGPUs6T6WzONSiTnldpXOS0UKxgXnIZIFGyMqBNKO0EZDXgdjCNQ7z1L6aoM_CJrAI740aXBR3r2K3x-f6ice.1vakMtsV6GZuoIfONMOGahw4IPY.png

Praise be to Helix. Got both fossils today. Maybe they like the sweltering heat.

Earlier today I shared that I caught a Kabuto. Well, just hatched a 10km egg and out pops...

Praise be to Helix. Got both fossils today. Maybe they like the sweltering heat.

Heresy.

Lord Kabuto will cleanse the world of your filth.

I got a 10km Kabuto, neither are available in my area.

Not really. You can get quite a bit of EXP from taking down gyms, plus the daily stardust+coins reward that you can collect from the shop screen (tap the shield in the top right corner to collect, you get 10 coins and 500 stardust for each gym you control). Even if you only beat one of the pokemon in a gym, you still get EXP and reputation for it, so there's not too much reason not to try it out.

Depends on where you live.

In my area gyms are held by anything from 500-1100.

I imagine cities are higher though, I'm on the outskirts, so there's not a massive amount of stuff around.

hmm I guess I should pop my lucky egg soon then.

Does anybody know why XL Pokemon always seem to evolve to XS? Does size even factor in at all? I've yet to evolve a Pokemon into XL. They are all either normal or XS.

Matbtz

I'm level 18 and now I'm waiting lvl 20 (or 25 ? but I heard that's soo looong) to evolve and hatch 10km eggs. But for gyms I'm doing it since lvl 5, I'm always at the object cap so I don't need potions that much. If you take multiples gyms or even one you can begin to build up your coins ressources, unless you don't have many pokestop nearby to refill with objects.

zulux21

I'm level 18 and now I'm waiting lvl 20 (or 25 ? but I heard that's soo looong) to evolve and hatch 10km eggs. But for gyms I'm doing it since lvl 5, I'm always at the object cap so I don't need potions that much. If you take multiples gyms or even one you can begin to build up your coins ressources, unless you don't have many pokestop nearby to refill with objects.

there is not a huge point to wait. eggs CP is determined when you pick it up, not when you hatch it.

ViciousDS

Banned
just tried the Python script for the hell of it......yes, that sucked.....no idea what they mean by pip install requirements and all this other shit......said F it and went back to the GUI version I have lol

Firemind

i just checked gyarados' moves and its only basic attacks are bite and dragon breath, both do 6 damage per attack without stab

and two of its three special attacks are dragon type

what the actual fuck

Matbtz

there is not a huge point to wait. eggs CP is determined when you pick it up, not when you hatch it.

Arf ok didn't know that !
I have another question : does the CP of the evolution is related to the base pokemon CP and/or XP ? Is it worth to keep a good base CP pokemon found for example lv18 to evolve later, or the evolution will be in all cases less powerful than from a good base pokemon CP found at level 20 for example ?

I guess the evolution is principally based on the base pokemon CP but I prefer to ask !

Meier

A lot of people are justifying use of Pokevision and similar products due to the "nearby pokemon" feature in the game itself being broken for over a week now.

I think this is a pretty legit line of reasoning personally. Otherwise you're just totally guessing instead of mostly guessing which isn't super feasible when it's 105 degrees out.

BlueSteel

I use Pokevision, and I don't feel bad at all.

I still miss pokemon using it, and I've actually missed far more rare Pokemon just while walking around and searching for it using a buggy tracker.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Went to the biggest local electronic store.

Almost all Pokemon 3DS games are sold out.
Man somebody posted in one of the groups I'm in asking if anyone was down to meet up at a cafe and then go to a local park tomorrow to show her the basics since she just started. It's super close to my parents' place and I'd never been so I figured what the hell, don't need to make progress all the time, should be fun.

As of now more than 20 other people have already replied and the official FB page of the cafe is getting involved. Unreal.

Zafir

I consider it cheating, but I don't consider it completely gamebreaking or completely unfair. You still have to physically go outside and go to the spot in order to catch the pokemon, unlike the GPS spoofers, but that's a whole other problem. These websites are against the TOS, and I expect Niantic to go after them at some point, but right now they are having lots of higher priority problems. I believe these websites will stop seeing so much traffic once Niantic fixes the tracking system and/or implement some better guidance (general direction or smaller footprint margins would be nice, I've walked half of a mile without the footprints changing back when tracking was "working").

Well, the other problem is the list is just slow to update in general. I've walked around and caught stuff which wasn't even on my radar. I was looking round for an Electabuzz, it disappeared off my list, so I thought it had despawned. Found it down the road.

I've also found stuff which weren't even on the list, assumedly because the list hadn't updated. (And no, I didn't have an incense on, and I wasn't anywhere near a pokespot so no lure)

zulux21

Arf ok didn't know that !
I have another question : does the CP of the evolution is related to the base pokemon CP and/or XP ? Is it worth to keep a good base CP pokemon found for example lv18 to evolve later, or the evolution will be in all cases less powerful than from a good base pokemon CP found at level 20 for example ?

I guess the evolution is principally based on the base pokemon CP but I prefer to ask !

basically yeah.
on each pokemon there is a gaugein the background. how far long that gauge will stay the same when you evolve and thus decide the CP of the evolved pokemon.

whether you start with a weak or strong pokemon you can level it up to the same eventual power level. a stronger pokemon allows you to save resources though.

Toki767

My team so far. I basically stopped powering up as soon as the cost is 3000 Stardust and 3 candies though.

Except Snorlax. I ran out of candy with him even though I'd still power him up if possible lol

Par Score

I think this is a pretty legit line of reasoning personally. Otherwise you're just totally guessing instead of mostly guessing which isn't super feasible when it's 105 degrees out.

PokeVision is also a perfectly reasonable alternative to leaving your phone turned on, plugged in, and showing PoGo on your desk at work all day. At least until Nearby is fixed.

Is Pokevision even working for anyone anyway?

Been hearing rumblings on the internet that the site and similar Pokemon maps are using PTC accounts, and PTC accounts are down. I wonder if Niantic is starting to shut that down.

Blech, I guess I can use my google account from now on, if PTC still keeps me from playing while servers are doing fine... but it's a throwaway
Team Instinct
account :(

ViciousDS

Banned
PokeVision is also a perfectly reasonable alternative to leaving your phone turned on, plugged in, and showing PoGo on your desk at work all day. At least until Nearby is fixed.

pokevision is absolutely terrible compared to other methods out there. It has an insanely short scan range and even a pokemon scan limit.....I compared it with mine and its just a joke of a website.

Is Pokevision even working for anyone anyway?

Been hearing rumblings on the internet that the site and similar Pokemon maps are using PTC accounts, and PTC accounts are down. I wonder if Niantic is starting to shut that down.

Blech, I guess I can use my google account from now on, if PTC still keeps me from playing while servers are doing fine... but it's a throwaway
Team Instinct
account :(

Those who use the Python OG method or the GUI method that I'm currently using can use a throwaway google account.....I have like 9 XD

zulux21

I'll likely just keep using it as a starting point.
use pokevision to find a single pokemon I want, go get that, and then wander around aimlessly for a while collecting pokespots :p

given how rare a number of the pokemon are around here even with pokevision I will likely have to get like half the pokedex from eggs so it isn't like it changes that much.

Pilgrimzero

Went to my biggest park on my area. Maybe 20-30 people hovering around 2 spots that each had 3 lured pokestops (for a total of 6). The sweet spot being where you could hit 4 but not enough to tag all the spots for supplies.

Pokemon everywhere. Though a good half were rats or Pidgys. Surprising lack of water-mon.

A golbat spawned and after like 20 balls I gave up on it. It's force field was strong.

PSFan

I use Pokevision, and I don't feel bad at all.

I still miss pokemon using it, and I've actually missed far more rare Pokemon just while walking around and searching for it using a buggy tracker.

I use a tracker too and don't feel guilty either. Nor do I feel it's cheating. I also like that it shows how much time is left before a pokemon despawns. I can gauge the distance and see if I can make it or not. I still have to get to it in time, and it could be blocks away.

Venom Fox

Banned
pokevision is absolutely terrible compared to other methods out there. It has an insanely short scan range and even a pokemon scan limit.....I compared it with mine and its just a joke of a website.

Those who use the Python OG method or the GUI method that I'm currently using can use a throwaway google account.....I have like 9 XD
Does yours work on mobile?

Are there any up right now that work on mobile?

Firemind

My team so far. I basically stopped powering up as soon as the cost is 3000 Stardust and 3 candies though.

Except Snorlax. I ran out of candy with him even though I'd still power him up if possible lol
i don't think machamp can even beat snorlax because they had the brilliant idea to give snorlax zen headbutt, which does 15 damage per 1.05 second, and they gave machamp karate chop, which does 6 damage per 0.80 second.

in the real games, machamp would ohko snorlax

niantic pls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom