• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the battle system seems kind of dumb. Not that i expected it to be in depth like it is in the mainline franchise, but it seems incredibly unbalanced. It seems to emphasize speed over power, and you only get coins if you manage to hold it for 24 hours or something, which pretty much seems impossible atm.

I just solo'd three gyms, only to have them taken away from me in less than 10 minutes.

Doubt they will make it better, but its certainly not that great.

Still fun game, but it is a bit of a let down that coins are tied to something that is pretty much impossible at this time.

I would love a middle ground between current combat and traditional. make it turn based on a quick timer. Something like Speed chess. The game and touch screen interface are just too laggy and clumsy for anything realtime to not become a spammy mess. Give the pokemon all their attacks back and go back to turn based.

You can cash out as soon as you take a gym, but you can only do that once every 21 hours and you only get 10 coins with 1 gym (unless it's time based I'm not sure), but I mean it's better than nothing if you can't actually get multiple gyms. My husband and I don't even bother trying to take multiple gyms because they're constantly changing around here and they're all so far away from each other- we just take one and then immediately claim our 10 coins and stardust. lol

So i can capture a gym and then cash out for coins immediately? If thats true i wish i would have known that. Would have just done that as holding a gym seems unlikely.

PSFan

Is there a way to toggle off pokestops and gyms? Where I'm at there's too many crowding the map.

Yes, just scroll down further below the login and then past the where you enter the coordinates and you can uncheck pokestops and gyms.

So the battle system seems kind of dumb. Not that i expected it to be in depth like it is in the mainline franchise, but it seems incredibly unbalanced. It seems to emphasize speed over power, and you only get coins if you manage to hold it for 24 hours or something, which pretty much seems impossible atm.

I just solo'd three gyms, only to have them taken away from me in less than 10 minutes.

Doubt they will make it better, but its certainly not that great.

Still fun game, but it is a bit of a let down that coins are tied to something that is pretty much impossible at this time.

Yeah, I don't know how it is around you but around here I'm seeing more and more unoccupied gyms. It seems people are getting bored of them. And when they are occupied, they usually change color within 30 minutes or so. Personally, I don't even bother with them.

kierwynn

So i can capture a gym and then cash out for coins immediately? If thats true i wish i would have known that. Would have just done that as holding a gym seems unlikely.

Yup! We make sure to do it once a day when our timer is up for our 10 coins and 500 stardust (plus exp for the battle!)

On a side note. Who do you all think is the best pokemon for gyms right now. Im seeing Vaporeon everywhere right now.

Thats how it is out here as well. Especially since it seems to counter a majority of the usual spawns out here and its counters are very uncommon as well. Plus Eevees are incredibly common as well.

zroid

Banned
I got a Sandshrew from a 5K egg

guessing that's pretty common in certain places, but it seems rare where I'm at. So that works.

Also posted this in the Japan thread but the Snapchat story for the Pokemon Go Japan release is awesome. Definitely recommend check it out.

Japan is so hyped lol. Theres a dude that put his phone in a net attached to his ceiling fan to hatch his eggs lmao

Are the higher CP Pokemon capable of reaching a number that lower CP will max out before? Or is the benefit of higher CP Pokemon just that it saves you stardust and candy since you are starting at a higher CP?

ciD_Vain

OMG WTF LOL!!

asa7FPI.png

SO happy and upset all at once LOL

Durden77

I think the battle system is kind of great for this game to be honest. It's a different experience, I'm glad they didn't just straight up transfer the battle system from the games considering this game's doing something completely different.

There's some kinks to work out, but I'm having fun with it and it's great for casuals, who are the majority don't forget.

ViciousDS

Banned
that moment when you go on a beer run and run the scanner to plan out the perfect catching trip of what you need. Then link it to your phone that way when you catch everything on the way there you can plan your attack on the way back.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Do you feed berrys each time it doesn't work?

Pokedex at 113/150! Took a longer drive to a park I've read has plentiful Clefairys. Still took awhile but got my first one and then enough to evolve it to Clefable. Also evolved Horsea/Voltorb/Mankey, hatched a Aerodactyl from a 10km egg, and caught Omanyte and Poliwrath for the first time.

Good stuff. Servers stable all day as well.

EDIT: In sad news, I was basically all out of poke balls when I came across a CP1200s Ninetales. Even used some of my hard-earned coins to buy some Pokeballs but the low levels ones just aren't enough. I already had a low CP one but still hurt. The 1300 Rhydon I missed didn't sting as much.
I think the battle system is kind of great for this game to be honest. It's a different experience, I'm glad they didn't just straight up transfer the battle system from the games considering this game's doing something completely different.

There's some kinks to work out, but I'm having fun with it and it's great for casuals, who are the majority don't forget.
I think the battle system is great for this game as well. When servers hold up and the lag is down it plays simply and smoothly. Needs a lot of balancing and its surprising how few pokemon are really viable for it. Some because of poor attack balancing and others because of the crazy variance of CP tiers but the base is solid.

I'd like to see some Pokemon get support roles. Ones like Chansey that probably aren't going to ever be gym-viable but maybe once every 12hr they can revive all your KOd pokemon or heal a few up to max health. Some can be good for fighting and others can give you perks.

Fantomex

I've went full IV hunting/theory crafting. Near perfect poliwhirl 14/15/15. Maxed out cp. Bout to evolve him to poliwrath. Ridiculously high DPS moveset also. He's going to be a gym defending machine.

How do you even figure this out? Usually a poke gets thrown out like a baby Spartan if his CP doesn't look promising with me.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Either my phone is performing like crap or the game is broken badly. My GPS is just going whack, putting me way off to the side of a road and not registering I'm near the PokeStop's even though I'm right next to them. Anyone else getting this?

Celegus

I've went full IV hunting/theory crafting. Near perfect poliwhirl 14/15/15. Maxed out cp. Bout to evolve him to poliwrath. Ridiculously high DPS moveset also. He's going to be a gym defending machine.
What do these words even mean! I thought their lives change when you evolve them? And what's a 14/15/15?

MUnited83

For you.
Either my phone is performing like crap or the game is broken badly. My GPS is just going whack, putting me way off to the side of a road and not registering I'm near the PokeStop's even though I'm right next to them. Anyone else getting this?

My GPS went crazy like 2 hours ago after I went for a walk. My character stopped moving on the map. Upon restarting the phone I even got put in a completely random city which I have no idea whatsoever where it is. It had put me in a city where there were lots of gyms and lured pokestops. I couldn't do anything on it (it would have the "GPS isn't working" warning" but it was freaky as shit to see.

I've been getting this today as well. Closing and restarting the apps seems to correct it :eek:

What do these words even mean! I thought their lives change when you evolve them? And what's a 14/15/15?
Each pokemon species has base stats which are uniform across all of that species (so all pidgies have the same base stats as each other) and evolved forms have higher base stats so evolving will almost always make them stronger.

BUT, each pokemon ALSO has 'individual values' which are unique to them and are added to the base stats. Due to these two pidgies might have the same base stats but after you add on the IVs (individual values) their final stats will be different. IVs do NOT change when a pokemon evolves. so an pidgie with 12 attack IV, 10 defence IV and 3 stamina IV will evolve into a pidgeotto with 12 attack IV, 10 defence IV and 3 stamina IV.

Does that clear it up any? :3

Where can you see their IV's?
Ofificlaly, you don't, at least not directly. The only hint you'll get in the game is that you'll notice that pokemon of the same type and level don't always have the same CP, HP and their moves will even do different damage amounts :p

Unofficially there are two ways: you can use IV calculators which use the visible stats to work out which possible combination of IVs it could have and refine it down, or you can even get some methods of hooking your phone through your PC to directly get at the IV data (which are probably fine but to be safe I'm not touching those with a barge pole :p )

Media

Any word on when they are going to fix the three step bug? Cause that's super annoying.

Where are you guys getting 10km eggs? I only seem to 2km ones (5km if the app is feeling generous).

I got my first and only one two days ago and I am level 14 :(

Any tips for battle? Half the time I dont know when the opposite Pokemon is attacking since they get covered by my fingers.

Any sound cues to listen for?

Ofificlaly, you don't, at least not directly. The only hint you'll get in the game is that you'll notice that pokemon of the same type and level don't always have the same CP, HP and their moves will even do different damage amounts :p

Unofficially there are two ways: you can use IV calculators which use the visible stats to work out which possible combination of IVs it could have and refine it down, or you can even get some methods of hooking your phone through your PC to directly get at the IV data (which are probably fine but to be safe I'm not touching those with a barge pole :p )

so is this pupper i got from an egg good?

Majukun

moves get randomised again after evolution, so those good moves are not going to be useful for much

so is this pupper i got from an egg good?
Nice! General rule of thumb is that anything 80% or higher is pretty good and probably worth keeping until you find better (as long as it's moveset isn't absolute trash of course: not even good IVs can save a bad moveset :p)
90% to 95% is very rare
100% are super duper rare

Nice! General rule of thumb is that anything 80% or higher is pretty good and probably worth keeping until you find better (as long as it's moveset isn't absolute trash of course: not even good IVs can save a bad moveset :p)
90% to 95% is very rare
100% are super duper rare

k

i wont throw him in the candy grinder....yet

Rootbeer

Banned
why can't you throw away eggs?

you can only hold 9 eggs and most of them are 2km eggs, even at higher levels (i'm 19 and keep getting 2km eggs)

since you rarely get free incubators you end up in a situation where you have to buy lots of incubators with real money or just let the 2km eggs pile up and prevent you from getting more eggs from pokestops.

I want to just toss my 2km eggs so I can focus only on 5/10km eggs T__T

Celegus

why can't you throw away eggs?

you can only hold 9 eggs and most of them are 2km eggs, even at higher levels (i'm 19 and keep getting 2km eggs)

since you rarely get free incubators you end up in a situation where you have to buy lots of incubators with real money or just let the 2km eggs pile up and prevent you from getting more eggs from pokestops.

I want to just toss my 2km eggs so I can focus only on 5/10km eggs T__T

Because nobody would keep those 5km stinkers. 10 > 2 > 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom