• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpartanN92

Banned
I'm from Kentucky and I'm currently vacationing in California... man the Pokémon are WAAAAY better here.

Just in downtown LA/Hollywood I've gotten enough Rhyhorns to make a Rhydon, Rapidash, a bunch of growlithes (not far away from Arcanine), I found a nest of Charmanders at the La Brea Tar Pits...

I'm having so much fun with this game :)

Azuran17

Neo Member
Is there a way to figure out what moves a pokemon will have when it evolves? i thought my starmie would keep it's "rock gem" move when it was a staryu

baef07e0a7.png

multiple occasions where both tiers of of an evolution line have the same moves, i evolve something and it learns a shity move instead. how do i know if dark pulse will be kept or not when it becomes weezing? just an example

I really hope there is a way to keep people from snaking gyms in a future update. Maybe just a 30 second freeze for the person who cleared it to get a chance to claim it. I just spent 15 minutes cleaning a gym all by myself to have two other people put their guys in before I could even press the button to get my dude in. Super frustrating.

TheFlow

Banned
I really hope there is a way to keep people from snaking gyms in a future update. Maybe just a 30 second freeze for the person who cleared it to get a chance to claim it. I just spent 15 minutes cleaning a gym all by myself to have two other people put their guys in before I could even press the button to get my dude in. Super frustrating.
That is the best part though! Watching a rival take down your faction and then putting yours back up is bliss

WarAdept

My 69CP Diglett says otherwise.

Theresa a ducking far-fetched around here I need a working tracker stat
Are you not already using this on your phone? :3
after tweaking the back-end, my mobile browser finder is cranking at about 1 good scan per 10 seconds and no empty scans. https://pokemonnearby.io/ ... one and done scan
or https://pokemonnearby.io/test.html ... walking version that updates footprints and distances as you walk.

I don't want it used by non neogaf members so Quote to see access password here :

: end of post that can't be seen by non gaf members.

h2H6IJq.png

The asterisks indicate rarity from statistics of 10,000+ spawns collected over random locations. The more stars the less frequently that pokemon is seen. All but the legendaries spawn, just some very infrequently.

If that doesn't work for you then give http://www.trackemon.com/ a go. It's running a bit slow for me for some reason but it's 100% accurate.

Nah I refined it. All I did was change the numbers after each power up to calculate. I trust the site that I used so I will stick with the 89 venusaur :p but Ty for your input lol
Fair enough :3

Is there a way to figure out what moves a pokemon will have when it evolves? i thought my starmie would keep it's "rock gem" move when it was a staryu

multiple occasions where both tiers of of an evolution line have the same moves, i evolve something and it learns a shity move instead. how do i know if dark pulse will be kept or not when it becomes weezing? just an example
Sorry, but all you can do is roll the dice. Nobody has found a way to predict what moves you'll get. It seems random from all the testing everyone has done so far, dissapointingly :/

Oh dear... After crunching a bunch of data someone has come up with the theory that there may be a bug in the system that assigns new wild (not hatched though) pokemon with IVs that's causing it to be influenced by the pokemon's pokedex number. If true (and things seem to indicate that it's likely) then it will be pretty much impossible to catch a wild pokemon with perfect IVs if it's pokedex number is lower than approximately Gyarados :s

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRoad/comments/4v0puc/theory_potential_bug_with_ivs/

For those wonder that basically makes the list of pokemon not screwed over by this as follows:
* Gyarados
* Lapras
* Ditto
* Eevee and it's 3 evolutions
* Porygon
* Omanyte and Omastar
* Kabuto and Kabutops
* Aerodactyl
* Snorlax
* Legendary birds
* Dratini, Dragonair and Dragonite
* Mewtwo

soooo... not many ^.^;
It's possible that Magmar, Pinsir, Tauros and Magikarp might escape this too but less certain.
Note that so far this is only linked to the attack IVs specifically, but cruelly this means that the vast majority of Caterpie caught in the wild have 0 attack IVs (as if that line didn't have enough trouble :p )

That said, pokemon hatched from eggs aren't affected by this and it's possible that lure/incense pokemon aren't either.

JoeNut

An alakazam got away from me yesterday, it was Raining really hard as I was walking through Manchester, my thumb slipped on my first throw, then the rain just screwed up how my throw went, 3rd throw landed, caught him, and he bust out of the mega ball and disappeared :(((((

Razmos

An alakazam got away from me yesterday, it was Raining really hard as I was walking through Manchester, my thumb slipped on my first throw, then the rain just screwed up how my throw went, 3rd throw landed, caught him, and he bust out of the mega ball and disappeared :(((((
Aha, was it at picadilly gardens? My friend said he found an Alakazam there yesterday.

pokemonnearby.io

I was going to switch it off for good just now, because Niantic pushed a change that throttles API drastically.

I don't really want to do an end-run around this with heaps of dummy accounts or heaps of virtual IPs so I just slowed down the search so it takes 60 seconds to scan, and further limited the number of searches that can go on at one time.

On the plus side I modified my facsimile of "nearby", it updates as you walk without refreshing from the server:
https://pokemonearby.io/nearby.html

VXWogYZ.png

but really, with the number of people who try to use the URL every few seconds, there isn't a good solution. building it out for scale and then finding in X days Niantic start blocking by IP or something is a total waste of time.

adamy

Banned
just hatched this bro, not sure whether to power up...

image.png

80% IV perfection which is lower than what I usually keep...but digging the move set

Thoughts?

just hatched this bro, not sure whether to power up...

image.png

80% IV perfection which is lower than what I usually keep...but digging the move set

Thoughts?

Steel Wing means he'll be less effective against types Aerodactyl is usually good against

Hyper Beam is powerful but it'll take a while

Septic360

Banned
You're doing it wrong. So so wrong. Never use a blue incubator on a 2k egg! You're wasting money.

if you use it on a 10k egg it lasts 5 times as longer before it breaks. Hatch 2k eggs with the red incubator. Also, you should hatch all your eggs at the same time and use a lucky egg just before they hatch. I feel so bad looking at that image :(

Whaaaa?!

I don't get it. What do you mean the 10k egg lasts 5 times as long if I use a blue incubator on it? Edit - oh you mean because of the distance. Shit!

Ah shit, you're right about hatching the eggs at the same time then using a lucky egg before they hatch. Ah shit!

adamy

Banned
Whaaaa?!

I don't get it. What do you mean the 10k egg lasts 5 times as long if I use a blue incubator on it? Edit - oh you mean because of the distance. Shit!

Ah shit, you're right about hatching the eggs at the same time then using a lucky egg before they hatch. Ah shit!

Hatching eggs at same time doesn't really do shit later on unless you have a bunch of 10K eggs

With a lucky egg, 5k rewards 1k xp, 2k rewards 400 xp

Meanwhile the 1k pidgy candy I have gives 1k per evolve

Timing hatchings with your lucky egg is not worth the effort imo

I've got 2 incubators ... how are you guys hatching 9 eggs at a time!?

There's a store in the game

Septic360

Banned
Is it weird that I'm level 20 and haven't gotten a single 10k egg?

Super weird. Im level 18 and have had about 4. You're just really unlucky not to get lucky eggs at 21.

Hatching eggs at same time doesn't really do shit later on unless you have a bunch of 10K eggs

With a lucky egg, 5k rewards 1k xp, 2k rewards 400 xp

Meanwhile the 1k pidgy candy I have gives 1k per evolve

Timing hatchings with your lucky egg is not worth the effort imo

There's a store in the game

Ah I'll try and time them though. This game is gonna be a money sink :(

adamy

Banned
I know ... but that'll just give me another 3.

So that means I have to "buy" 8 incubators? Which I can only use 3 times?

You can if you want, it's your money.

But as already explained earlier, if you want to maximize it, buy incubators for your 10K eggs

Oh dear... After crunching a bunch of data someone has come up with the theory that there may be a bug in the system that assigns new wild (not hatched though) pokemon with IVs that's causing it to be influenced by the pokemon's pokedex number. If true (and things seem to indicate that it's likely) then it will be pretty much impossible to catch a wild pokemon with perfect IVs if it's pokedex number is lower than approximately Gyarados :s

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRoad/comments/4v0puc/theory_potential_bug_with_ivs/

For those wonder that basically makes the list of pokemon not screwed over by this as follows:
* Gyarados
* Lapras
* Ditto
* Eevee and it's 3 evolutions
* Porygon
* Omanyte and Omastar
* Kabuto and Kabutops
* Aerodactyl
* Snorlax
* Legendary birds
* Dratini, Dragonair and Dragonite
* Mewtwo

soooo... not many ^.^;
It's possible that Magmar, Pinsir, Tauros and Magikarp might escape this too but less certain.
Note that so far this is only linked to the attack IVs specifically, but cruelly this means that the vast majority of Caterpie caught in the wild have 0 attack IVs (as if that line didn't have enough trouble :p )

That said, pokemon hatched from eggs aren't affected by this and it's possible that lure/incense pokemon aren't either.
I have a growlithe with 100 percent perfect IV according to the calculator.

Is it weird that I'm level 20 and haven't gotten a single 10k egg?
not super weird. I'm level 20 and just got my second. They are pretty damn rare.
On the other hand, my nephew who is level 9 is on his third :p so it's also pretty random

Dominator

Does IV even have any relevance in this game? I struggle to understand what that stuff even means and I've been playing Pokémon since Red/Blue and never stopped.

adamy

Banned
Does IV even have any relevance in this game? I struggle to understand what that stuff even means and I've been playing Pokémon since Red/Blue and never stopped.

IVs mean everything later on in the game

Once you hit your mid 20s you'll start to notice the huge effect it has on your pokemon and their CP

They're especially relevant given that once you're in your mid 20s there's really not much to do besides focus on IV

Waldini

I bought one incubator yesterday just by using by GYM-earnings, so

Problem with that is ... well, my area is not very crowded with rare Pokemon. I tend to stumble upon Pidgeys, Ratatatatatas and things like that. I've never seen an Onix, Snorlax or any other Pokemon spawn besides that.

Problem with that is ... well, my area is not very crowded with rare Pokemon. I tend to stumble upon Pidgeys, Ratatatatatas and things like that. I've never seen an Onix, Snorlax or any other Pokemon spawn besides that.

Well same here, though I got an Onix and some other rare ones because i went to the next big town around and hatched some eggs...

Waldini

Well same here, though I got an Onix and some other rare ones because i went to the next big town around and hatched some eggs...

There's a Pikachu that spawns every three hours here. When I'm done working it appears. So far, 0 luck though. As either the game freezes, servers go down or he just vanishes :( I'll give it another shot today.

I'm going to Rotterdam (Netherlands) this sunday. I'm not sure what to expect but ... it's a bigger city than where I live.

Honestly the game is fun and catching them all would be great but I'm definitely getting irritated with hatching eggs never being accurate and murdering my phone battery.

I wish we could have a companion app that is a pedometer for eggs that runs in the background. 10km eggs are taking closer to 20. Sure people would cheat with pedometers but better than idiots driving down my street going 10mph to hatch eggs because walking outside in the heat sucks. (actually surprisingly common)

There's a Pikachu that spawns every three hours here. When I'm done working it appears. So far, 0 luck though. As either the game freezes, servers go down or he just vanishes :( I'll give it another shot today.

I'm going to Rotterdam (Netherlands) this sunday. I'm not sure what to expect but ... it's a bigger city than where I live.

Rotterdam should work well, trust me. I was in Cologne last saturday in some smaller streets not really city center and there loads of Pokestops with lures and stuff.

Jellie

Got a 100% snorlax with lick and earthquake. CP is 888. Got another with 86% a CP of 1850 and Zen headbutt with body slam. Which one is better?

Dominator

IVs mean everything later on in the game

Once you hit your mid 20s you'll start to notice the huge effect it has on your pokemon and their CP

They're especially relevant given that once you're in your mid 20s there's really not much to do besides focus on IV
I'm level 22, couldn't care less about IV's nor have I noticed anything different about my Pokemon. I'd imagine the average Joe doesn't either. Not saying it isn't cool for people who are interested but I wouldn't say it's "everything" later on in the game. I'm not quite in my mid-20's yet but if the game proper doesn't spell any of this out then yeah, no dice for me.

Nah. It's for crazies.
Can't tell if this is sarcasm or not lol

adamy

Banned
I'm level 22, couldn't care less about IV's nor have I noticed anything different about my Pokemon. I'd imagine the average Joe doesn't either. Not saying it isn't cool for people who are interested but I wouldn't say it's "everything" later on in the game. I'm not quite in my mid-20'/ yet but if the game proper doesn't spell any of this out to me then yeah, no dice for me.

no, it really is everything. i caught a charizard early on and was so excited about it. over time i ended up pumping about +150k dust into it and god knows how many candies...only to get another charizard later in the game and notice the insane exponential disparity

spent about 100k extra dust on my first charizard only to have it not even slightly compare to my second. once i heard about IVs i did some research. first charizard was 11% iv perfection, second in its 80s.

had similar experience with chansey, vaporeon, and arcanine. originally didnt think IVs were a big deal but after enough first hand experiences i changed my mind

i mean, not only are you gonna spend an insane amount of extra dust and candies, but it will have a much, much lower cp cap as your trainer level increases

i realize theres a big difference between 11% and 80%, but it really made me personally realize IV is no joke

im sure the gap between 70-90% isnt as extreme, but IV definitely plays a roll, and is DEFINITELY worth checking before investing a huge amount of resources

edit: typos fixed

So yesterday on my way home I tried to grab my 10 coins and went to the arena near my home.
It was very weak and only had a Hypno in it. When I started fighting a boy (maybe 10 years old) asked my If I play Pokemon so I said yes. Then he asked me if I fight his arena and what level I'm currently am at. So I said yes I do and I'm lvl 21. Then he looked at me with a sad face and and man he gave me a bad feeling about it.
So I said I only want to cash in my 10 coins and afterwards I'll put something weak into the arena so that he can beat it. Then he was all excited because he didn't know how to get the coins so I showed him what to do in the shop to get the coins. He was very happy to finally know that.
I put a mediocore Golbat in it and went to the stop next to it.
Then some guys asked me if I'm team Valor and if I just conquered the arena. I said yes and the said cool we just put our Pokémon in. Oh man poor kid didn't have a chance.
And then I hung out with the two other guys, talking about our Pokémon and stuff

Man this game, I love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom