• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

Don't get me wrong there's a tonne of shit with the game that's buggy or just bad mechanics or whatever. But given the only investment I made was time and digging my old phone out of a cupboard I'm not really that fussed

gogogow

Yeah that’s what I was getting at. You get the XP and the stop is available again in 5 minutes... your bag is too full to get items right now anyway.

Doesn’t seem like a glitch to me.

Edit: not that I don't have my issues with stops, particularly the “try again later” crap. But it’s not a common occurrence.

Ehhhh.....deleting some stuff takes a couple of seconds. I don't understand why you have to wait 5 minutes. Although this might be just a design choice, not necessarily a glitch.

Pokemon Go is like the most popular app ever, I just don't understand why there are so few updates.

If anyone knows of a decent way to get notifications on my iphone when a rare Pokemon appears that would be fantastic. Im not really wanting to chase after everything I see so would probably have the notifier only ping me when its something I need.

I have looked and unfortunately cant see a decent way of getting a hold of something like this.

CassSept

Mass transfer
GPS-glitch
Pokestop color-glitch
Pokestop-bag-is-full glitch
Level/XP scaling and the exponential xp increase needs to change
Pokémon rubber banding (pidgeys @100cp FLEEING from a great ball? Hahahhaahhaha) at lvl 20+

I'm at work, I could keep going for hours. This game is shit, yet 100mil+ are playing it, including me.

Yoshichan

I'll admit Pidgeys escaping is frustrating, that started happening to me recently as I'm approaching level 15 and it's infuriating. I just want to quickly grab a Pidgey for candies and move on, come on.

jts

...hate me...
I have spent 10 euro with the game to get 1200 coins... seemed like a fair balance between coin prices and what I was willing to spend.

Did 2 bag upgrades and am absolutely keeping the rest of the coins to spend them wisely as I see fit, instead of going on a spree. I promised myself not to spend any more real money in it for at least a month. If the game still has kept me entertained by then, then fair play.

Ehhhh.....deleting some stuff takes a couple of seconds. I don't understand why you have to wait 5 minutes. Although this might be just a design choice, not necessarily a glitch.

Pokemon Go is like the most popular app ever, I just don't understand why there are so few updates.

It gives you the XP right away. The other design choice would be not to give you items or XP and stay blue. I prefer it like this because sometimes you’re way too full but you can keep getting XP from numerous stops (especially on drive-bys or pokestop clusters). You would be getting rid of items to get items anyway, and losing 4-5 items from one single spin doesn’t seem like a big deal, seeing how fast they are available again. Also it’s a design that assumes you have some idea of the state of your bag.

Just tried this, it's a cool concept but in practice it doesn't work very well for me. I saw a proof of concept that showed the IVs/% as a toast message on the screen, but this one requires you to leave the app instead. Also, not a single one of the many screenshots I took (including electric-type pokemon with the CP text on a very dark background) was parsed completely; I had to type in CP for every single one of them, and my Jolteon didn't even get a proper name and the HP was missing the last digit.

Hopefully the OCR improves, but for now I'm sticking with the webapp.

lt519

Cool tool, IVs still seem useless to me. Yes you can max out your Pokemon, but there isn't a single Gym I've come across that I couldn't take. My Snorlax seems good, everything else seems to be mediocre, been working so far.

I personally don't care about the bugs, what they need to fix is that catching/transfering second/third stage Pokemon give the same rewards as a Pidgey. I spend 50 candy to upgrade my Nidoran into a Nidorino. Catch a Nidorino the next day and then have to collect 100 more candy to make my Nidoking, that 50 I just spent is worthless. I should be able to get a good portion of that original 50 back instead of just 1. XP should scale to monster stage too.

Zomba13

Today was the first time I saw a Pokémon nearby and just went out specifically to grab it and then came straight back.

I was checking my phone between games of Overwatch and noticed a Porygon was "nearby", not knowing where and seeing how the tracking still isn't back on I booted up the Pokémon GO Live Map desktop thing and it found the Porygon down the road, a street over! 5 minutes to get it, plenty of time, got there, caught it. Not a great CP, like 160ish but I'd never seen a Porygon before so it was a good catch.

A little later, I checked again and see a Charmeleon! Except there isn't much time left and though he's "close" the way to him has you take a pretty long pathway around and I didn't have the time to get him :( I mean, I could have just walked through the woods on the hill behind my house but nah, there is a busy road there and knowing me I'd slip and roll right into traffic.

Dude you just dont get it? If you could spin all day, what would you get from it? Just sit there all day at the Stop and swing away...of course there has to be a cool down period! Walking around is what this app is about...

If your bag is already full...and you throw away 5 pokeballs just to get 5 others from the stop what do you get from that?

Cool tool, IVs still seem useless to me. Yes you can max out your Pokemon, but there isn't a single Gym I've come across that I couldn't take. My Snorlax seems good, everything else seems to be mediocre, been working so far.

Yup, right now it's just a perfectionist thing.

This sign was posted at a Jimmy John's restaurant. I see what the owner did there.
CohHistUsAAUYE7.jpg

CRA5H

Go Analyzer works really well for me. I've had to put in the CP manually a couple times but it's a lot more efficient than opening on a web browser and putting in all the values.
Also, make sure you don't edit the name until after you scan it.
I also really like how refining would work in theory (haven't tried it yet) seeing that you can even save your parsed data. It can only get better from here :)

lt519

I am glad it gives some people a reason to keep playing though. They'll support the game for a while. I just don't have the time to find a perfect IV pokemon that may have a shit starting CP and take 100k stardust and 100 candy to fully level. For just one Pokemon! I think in all my time playing I'm at like 150k total stardust lol. I may use it if I have two high CP level 1st stagers and I'm deciding which one to evolve. But having to run the App, level it, run the App again, level, it, etc, etc just to narrow down the results is too much for me, sucks the fun out.

CRA5H

I have a few friends that don't give a crap about IV at this point because they started playing it right at launch whereas myself and a few others have had more time with it.
For veteran players, it adds way more depth to the game, although it is pretty pointless for battles atm. The diablo geek in me is starting to come out.

Firemind

I am glad it gives some people a reason to keep playing though. They'll support the game for a while. I just don't have the time to find a perfect IV pokemon that may have a shit starting CP and take 100k stardust and 100 candy to fully level. For just one Pokemon! I think in all my time playing I'm at like 150k total stardust lol. I may use it if I have two high CP level 1st stagers and I'm deciding which one to evolve. But having to run the App, level it, run the App again, level, it, etc, etc just to narrow down the results is too much for me, sucks the fun out.
the most efficient way is to hatch eggs which naturally come at lvl. 20, then evolve and power up if move set is satisfactory.

CRA5H

This whole CP/IV shit is so confusing, why make such a obscure system that hides simple data from players with a game like this?
I had a chat with a friend about this the other day. I believe Niantic was looking to simplify the game for the masses, which it has definitely appealed to. Sure, instead of CP/HP, you would get ATK/DEF/STAM but maybe through their alpha tests, they realized simplifying it down to Combat Power and a Health Points stat was the best route to go for the casual app user.

This whole CP/IV shit is so confusing, why make such a obscure system that hides simple data from players with a game like this?
Because when it comes down to it, it's all about tapping the screen as quickly as possible without causing the game to break and give the other Pokemon infinite health.

Dunno why people care about that type of endgame at the moment when we're likely nowhere near the point of receiving a decent battle system.

I actually kind of like that IV isn't particularly important (Silph Road says they think it's +/-10% of a poke's total power in the end). If you really want to minmax, you can; if you don't care, then it won't hurt you much. Either way, you're unlikely to be in the ballpark for caring about IVs until you've started hitting the CP caps for your pokemon anyway, which isn't until level 30? I think.

pringles

Dunno why people care about that type of endgame at the moment when we're likely nowhere near the point of receiving a decent battle system.
I just care because there's such a huge grind to evolve some pokemon that I may never find enough candy to evolve more than 1 of them or enough stardust to power up more than a select few, why not check to make sure it's at least decent before sinking resources into it.

Firemind

Because when it comes down to it, it's all about tapping the screen as quickly as possible without causing the game to break and give the other Pokemon infinite health.

because it might have a decent battle system in the future?

i mean the defender ai is set at 1.5 second cooldown per attack. that's why defending gyms is so shitty right now

pvp is where it will be at

Wow someone mentioned it earlier but Chansey is finally useful now. It's the best Pokemon to level up your gyms with. 800 pts for just one win.

Nightbird

Soo, does anyone else have an GPS error right now?

I log into the game and get dropped into the ocean in the middle of nowhere.

Nothing seems to work too

Widge

Also, for parry champs, you can dance around and avoid all attacks with dodge.

Firemind

I actually kind of like that IV isn't particularly important (Silph Road says they think it's +/-10% of a poke's total power in the end). If you really want to minmax, you can; if you don't care, then it won't hurt you much. Either way, you're unlikely to be in the ballpark for caring about IVs until you've started hitting the CP caps for your pokemon anyway, which isn't until level 30? I think.
cap is lvl 40 atm

Busaiku

Soo, does anyone else have an GPS error right now?

I log into the game and get dropped into the ocean in the middle of nowhere.

Nothing seems to work too
This may be your phone's problem.
Even after I quit the game yesterday, my GPS wasn't working with Maps.
Had to restart my phone (Note 5).

Kinokou

Same, and looking of some of the pokemons stardust demand to reach their max I feel no desire to go for it unless it is a top tier pokemon, and still then I don't know if I can be bothered to keep leveling up something that will require 200k stardust (that's double what I have now) AND 350 candy. So I just mark my good ones and keep them for potential trades with someone who will, in return for something adequate in moves/CP for what lvl I'll be on.

flkraven

You're doing it wrong. So so wrong. Never use a blue incubator on a 2k egg! You're wasting money.

if you use it on a 10k egg it lasts 5 times as longer before it breaks. Hatch 2k eggs with the red incubator. Also, you should hatch all your eggs at the same time and use a lucky egg just before they hatch. I feel so bad looking at that image :(

This is the wrong way of looking at it. If there was someway to guarantee a 10K egg in your inventory, then maybe this would ring true but there isn't. I'm about to ding level 21 and have only ever gotten 1 10KM.

And the length of time it lasts...why is that the way we value an incubator? Speaking as someone who has only ever gotten 1 10KM egg, I would love to slam all my 2KM eggs into temporary incubators in order to clear up space and have better odds of getting the next 10KM egg.

My main critique with that strategy is that all 9 eggs are incubating. I think it would be smarter to only be incubating about half, so you can immediately throw the other half into incubators while you are walking around to pokestops replenishing the egg supply. No wasted steps :)

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
How do you take over level one in a gym?

Beat the first Pokemon, lost to the second and received nothing?

How do you take over level one in a gym?

Beat the first Pokemon, lost to the second and received nothing?

You cant take over level one, you have to level up the gym enough to make another slot and then you can push your Pokemon inside. If its the "most weak" one it will be slot one...

gogogow

Dude you just dont get it? If you could spin all day, what would you get from it? Just sit there all day at the Stop and swing away...of course there has to be a cool down period! Walking around is what this app is about...

If your bag is already full...and you throw away 5 pokeballs just to get 5 others from the stop what do you get from that?

Dude, what the hell are you talking about? Where did I say that you should be able to spin all day?

And no, you don't get it. I need Pokeballs, so if I delete crap I don't need, like potions and revive, so that I can get some balls, but I can't, because I now have to wait 5 minutes. Not everyone lives in a place with hundreds of Pokestops nearby.

Next time, read and understand what someone is saying, before replying with nonsense. 2 out of 3 sentences in your post are redundant.

This is the wrong way of looking at it. If there was someway to guarantee a 10K egg in your inventory, then maybe this would ring true but there isn't. I'm about to ding level 21 and have only ever gotten 1 10KM.

And the length of time it lasts...why is that the way we value an incubator? Speaking as someone who has only ever gotten 1 10KM egg, I would love to slam all my 2KM eggs into temporary incubators in order to clear up space and have better odds of getting the next 10KM egg.

My main critique with that strategy is that all 9 eggs are incubating. I think it would be smarter to only be incubating about half, so you can immediately throw the other half into incubators while you are walking around to pokestops replenishing the egg supply. No wasted steps :)

Let's say you hold only 2 eggs. And you can only afford 1 blue incubator.
Go walk 15km.
With 5kms in red and 2km in blue, you'll hatch 6 eggs total.
With 5kms in blue and 2kms in red, you hatch 10.
To hatch that many the other way, you'll have to buy 2 incubators instead of 1.

Dude, what the hell are you talking about? Where did I say that you should be able to spin all day?

And no, you don't get it. I need Pokeballs, so if I delete crap I don't need, like potions and revive, so that I can get some balls, but I can't, because I now have to wait 5 minutes. Not everyone lives in a place with hundreds of Pokestops nearby.

Next time, read and understand what someone is saying, before replying with nonsense. 2 out of 3 sentences in your post are redundant.

Still 5 minutes isnt that much of a throwback, and as the other poster said, you get EXP even if you dont get items...

domlolz

Banned

guess you arent familiar with the main series meta game

unless you were asking why theyve kept them for go? dunno. guess they needed something to make each pokemon unique.

Because up until last week they were still rolling the game out in other countries.

This is easily remedied by just checking your inventory and deleting what you don't need before you even go out to hit any PokeStops.

eaise

Neo Member
Because up until last week they were still rolling the game out in other countries.

This is easily remedied by just checking your inventory and deleting what you don't need before you even go out to hit any PokeStops.

Speaking of updates. They said updates would be released every two weeks. So we should be seeing one soon right?

Jintor

it's sort of baffling to me you can delete as many revives or other items as you want but you can't mass transfer pokemon. i wonder if there's a coding reason or just a caution?

Also favouriting doesn't stop you accidentally transfering pokemon. Weird

GulAtiCa

This hatched from a 5K egg today. Finally have something new to take on those Water pokemon everywhere.

Also, I decided to get rid of all my 5k eggs 1st before doing anymore 10k or 2ks. Mainly, as since the eggs keep randomly shuffleing and don't tell when I got them. Best to get rid of the 5k 1st, that was I can ensure all the eggs I've gotten were new. There is likely a chance a few of these 5ks are from when I was like lv 15. (I'm lv 20 now)

John Dunbar

correct about everything
the incubator nonsense is perhaps the cleverest cash grab in the game. after getting to level 20 you're not going to get free incubators very often (i think you only get one when you hit level 25), so you're going to be stuck hatching one egg at a time. fucking sucks.

Also, I decided to get rid of all my 5k eggs 1st before doing anymore 10k or 2ks. Mainly, as since the eggs keep randomly shuffleing and don't tell when I got them. Best to get rid of the 5k 1st, that was I can ensure all the eggs I've gotten were new. There is likely a chance a few of these 5ks are from when I was like lv 15. (I'm lv 20 now)

Do the eggs generate a Pokémon when you get them then, not when they hatch?

GulAtiCa

the incubator nonsense is perhaps the cleverest cash grab in the game. after getting to level 20 you're not going to get free incubators very often (i think you only get one when you hit level 25), so you're going to be stuck hatching one egg at a time. fucking sucks.

Taking over gyms makes it quite decently way to get more egg incubators. I'm now level 20 and take 3 to 4 a day. Heck, since Monday I've gotten like 160 coins. So I can get another egg incubator about once a week for free.

Do the eggs generate a Pokémon when you get them then, not when they hatch?
When you get them. So if you got a 5k egg at lv 15 and hatch it at lv 20, it's still a lv 15 egg/etc. So best to hatch them as soon as you get them. Hence why I'm trying to flush the remaining of my 5ks just to ensure their all high level eggs again.

Something about Pidgeys and Spearows where I always toss the pokeballs right over there head and behind them, never fails. It's not their height because I have no problem with other short Pokemon like Weedles.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
caught a bulbasaur, then seconds later, one hatches from my egg haha

This hatched from a 5K egg today. Finally have something new to take on those Water pokemon everywhere.

I love my Tangela

It looks fantastic, and its tough as nails

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom