• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bishop89

RIP battery save:

sjhALu3.png

still showing for me with the update lol

They removed the steps sure, but does it at least acurately reflect what Pokemon are nearby? I mean, before the thing showed Pokemon that were blocks and blocks away.

Battery saver was flaky as fuck anyway, it would randomly freeze your screen sometimes when you undimmed. I'm sure they removed it until it could be fixed.

Unrelated, but what is this "IV" some of you are talking about?

IV = individual values. Basically, attack/defense/stamina levels. They differ between each pokemon, even ones of the same type, and are not directly visible in Pokemon Go. People have developed calculators to attempt to infer the values based on your trainer level, the pokemon's CP and HP, and the distance from the CP cap as shown by the white arc meter at the top of the pokemon's screen. According to Silph Road, the differences in IVs can account for approximately 10% of your pokemon's performance--not enough to force everyone to care, but enough to give you a little extra juice in gyms if you put in the effort to figure the system out.

Toki767

No, I know that. But I meant that they were way beyond the scope of what Nearby used to mean. Like once I drove through downtown and encountered a Charmeleon then I went home and it was still on my radar.
The radar has always been broken in that sense for me. You need to restart the app anytime you see something you might be interested in to make sure it actually is nearby.

3phemeral

I feel like they changed the physics of the curve ball. My 100% curve-ball technique no longer hits and I'm finding I have to lower the angle a bit more for it to land correctly.

Camoxide

Unconfirmed Member
Another broken feature they removed instead of fixing?

Game would regularly freeze for me if it was on.

They game wouldn't freeze for me but the screen would sometimes become unresponsive. I'd rather that they kept the buggy version in for now as when the scream was dimmed the screen was effectively locked but wouldn't time out. Made hatching eggs a bit easier.

Ruff

RIP all my Vaporeon gym fighting kings :(

Whats good still? Snorlax?

Also they really messed up the font on pokemon names on gyms. They're so Pixelated now. But I'm glad footpaths are back on the map. My area looked so weird when they disappeared.

I get the feeling that the strength of the Pokeball doesn't matter much these days. Niantic has fucked the capture chance so much that you can actually catch the high level ones using normal pokeball (I guess that's their way to get you to buy more pokeballs). It's just a matter of using enough of it and having luck that the pokemon doesn't run off before you catch it. I've had 500cp pokemon breaks out immediately out of a Greatball only ended being captured by normal pokeball since I ran out of the former. :mad:
That's less Niantic and more 'random is random' to be honest. Heck, I caught Yvetal in Pokemon Y with a normal pokeball (that's a 5.9% chance for those wondering :p)

Xamdou

Damn a 744cp Growlith appeared in my house and escaped. I used a berry and Ultraballs but the curve ball I just kept missing. When i was finally able to hit it it just ran away.

Memles

I feel like they changed the physics of the curve ball. My 100% curve-ball technique no longer hits and I'm finding I have to lower the angle a bit more for it to land correctly.

It's definitely changed - when my curve balls are hitting, they're hitting the top of the Pokemon rather than the side, and missing more consistently. I find I have to throw out further to the right and lower, and it's definitely taking some adjustment.

Cynically, you wonder if it's about disrupting people's patterns and maybe selling more Pokéballs. More generously, maybe they made throwing straighter a bit easier and made curve balls tougher to create a bit more challenge to earn that extra 10xp. Regardless, it's a weird change, whereas the rest of the update tracks more logically.

Jintor

Having a lot more trouble getting GPS signal after the update on my tethered phone. Pretty irritating, hope it's just in this area or something

N.Domixis

Banned
Got curious and decided to try it out just a couples minutes ago. Picked Charmander as my starter. Seems like they have been using the same intro since Pkmn Yellow very nostalgic. Everything was good than Dr. Willow says I need to move in real life to find interesting locations. The closest one was across some woods on the opposite side of a lake. APP DELETED.

So Pokemon tracking sites are dead now?

Or just the ones that don't use several accounts to scan?

It isn't an account throttle.
It is an IP throttle that has been applied now.
So now only a site that uses lots of IPs can continue And if I was doing that I would not spend much time spreading the back end around because what will come next is an account block if the account jumps around a lot or exceeds a certain number of queries per hour or something. And it becomes a full time game of cat and mouse which Netflix has taught everyone, isn't really winnable.

EulaCapra

The nearby one that was created by a poster in this thread is down for good :( It was so useful
Literally just 20 minutes ago I scanned to catch a new Pokemon down the block and then scanned again 6 minutes after and got the dreaded "It was fun while it lasted!" message.

Thank you to whoever did that here! ULTRA helpful especially since it gives us dumb folks map directions. But goddamn it, I wish it didn't have to end. :sadface:

EL CUCO

Seriously. The player made trackers is what dialed the fun up to 10 for me. Hopefully Niantic revamps the whole in game tracking system. Nobody wants to run around for 15 minutes just to find out you got there 30 seconds too late.

As long as Niantic leave a crack in the door I bet a number of sites will persist with this.

Their next challenge will be people who wrap up the scan fully into an app, or use the python or other tool running at home, and access it remotely.
Those will be harder to block because they may have a unique account, and will be from a unique IP, and would not be high volume.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Yeah, if the trackers are down this is definitely just going to become an app that I occasionally pull out when I have to walk between places, and not something that I'll actively go out for.

J-Roderton

Resolved my shit with google account and got back at it. Haven't kept up with the thread due to a ball game tonight but wtf is going on with throwing pokeballs now?

foladar

The PoGo desktop live map is still working, fortunately, but I feel it's starting to find fewer and fewer Pokemon.

It's working really slowly though. Not sure if you'd be able to get there in a timely manner with the removal of the fast scan.

Not sure if it's just me, but stuff seems to deflect more often, and break out of balls more often after the update.. really killing the fun quick.

Muku

So far with update, I'll admit I've had less freezes overall. But I still just have the program quit on me. So that don't trespass thing at beginning is starting to piss me off to click every time.

Dishwalla

Banned
Dang they killed Pokevision? That's dumb, was pretty useful. I liked to scan different parts of the city to see what kinds of Pokemon spawned where.

3phemeral

How did you get those stats at the bottom if you don't mind me asking?

Also, I don't think the steps were ever accurate for me. It was always showing three steps away even if pokes were popping up next to me.
Do you mean the second screenshot? I used app called Go Analyzer that OCRs screenshots and calculates the IV efficiency for your mon. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom