• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahdurian

so i finally got a chance to read through the OP

in terms of apps like CharityMiles, does anyone know if there's something similar for Canadians? I looked through the app, and seems like there are some Worldwide charities, but wondering if there's any one who knows of one with Canadian charities

BlisterBrown

Neo Member
Just found out that the type advantages don't work like they normally do in Pokemon. Only 1.25x for super effective and 0.8x for not very effective. Was wondering why type advantage barely seemed to matter, I guess that explains it. I kinda hope they change that, no good way to counter the bulky water types right now

hirokazu

TBQH, you're literally the first person I've seen say the limit is 5mph. Most people have been saying it's 15-20mph.

Edit: And now this is the first time I've seen 12mph! Make up your minds!

Except for the ones who are wrong, people made up their mind a long time ago. It's 20km/h, or 15.4mph.

A'ight, so I'm a little confused at how CP works.

So, I love Butterfree. Always has been one of my favorite Pokemon. So I'm gonna make one of my best Pokemon a Butterfree.

This little love is my first Butterfree yet! But... he's really... really... weak. :(

Am I fucked trying to get him to CP 1500? Like is there realistically no chance of my buddy getting past CP 800, since the bar is "60%" full already at CP 354? Do I actually have to just capture and evolved another stronger Caterpie? I don't wanna give up on my Butterfree. :c
You'll be able to get it up to CP 1500, but by the time you're able to do that, you could probably get other Pokémon like Arcanine over CP 3500. Sorry.

adamy

Banned
It's really bullshit. Rode my bike <15mph today for 15.1 miles. I got 3.9km on my egg. Tracking is absolutely fucked.

Tracking is perfect, you were riding too quickly

We already went over this

I'm almost level 23, largely from egg hatching

It really isn't that hard to figure out

Cool. I am sure Strava, which I was also running simultaneously also somehow miscounted my speed/distance. It may be a server issue but I can definitively say it does not work correctly at all right now. My average was right at 15mph most of the ride and it didn't count shit.

ramyeon

Cool. I am sure Strava, which I was also running simultaneously also somehow miscounted my speed/distance. It may be a server issue but I can definitively say it does not work correctly at all right now. My average was right at 15mph most of the ride and it didn't count shit.
I'm not sure where it stops counting but 15mph seems too fast. It would be geared towards walking/running and 15mph is like... 24km/h...

Pocks

Tracking is perfect? lol

I rode at 8.5 km/h and it recorded less than 50% of the distance I traveled. I've run several controlled tests.

adamy

Banned
Need more candy :(

image.png

Tracking is clearly not perfect. I talked to several people today at the park and they all told me it doesn't track well. It seems if you turn or try to walk in circles their algorithm doesn't pick it up.

Whatever they are using isn't up to snuff. There are many fitness apps that do a pretty damn good job of estimating distance. They need to talk to one of them.

Ooops. Sorry, that was a typo. 12.4mph.

This is the first time I've heard 12.4mph. I see kotaku articles and whatnot stating 15mph is the limit. Do you have a link?

adamy

Banned

again, you have to be going under 5kmph

im getting tired of repeating the same shit so i wont repeat it again

google is your friend

Tracking is far from perfect. If it was, people wouldn't be able to hatch eggs sitting at home while their avatar moves back and forth for no reason.

has nothing to do with tracking, has to do with your own personal phone's gps acting up

again, google this shit

edit: to be clear i HATE the tracking system, i just dont think most realize how incredibly slow you have to be moving to get credit for movement in the game. this is why i hate the tracking system

after i was told the 5kmph rule, i started getting credit for pretty much all movement

a lot of issues also have nothing to do with the severs/tracking and everything to do with your shitty phone

google is your friend

has nothing to do with tracking, has to do with your own personal phone's gps acting up

again, google this shit

Sure. Here is the result of my google search "maximum pokemon go speed"

link 1) You can't go over 10mph
link 2) The fastest you can go without causing issue with Pokemon Go is 20kmph, which equates to approximately 12mph.
link 3) no real answer
link 4) unclear, several answers in comments
link 5) unclear

... so again, "googling that shit" isn't as conclusive as you claim.

edit: my shitty phone is an iphone 6. GPS tracking is within .1 mile error. I know it's that good because I have a cadence/speed sensor for my bike and I compared to GPS data. Again I am unconvinced it isn't a sever issue as well. But i'll stop because I really don't think this is constructive.

I'm up to 81 caught. Feels good, but plenty of work to go,

Birathen

Might be server issues or soemthing, as you say. I went for a 10 km run two days ago and got about 5km of eggdistance out of it.

Oreoleo

google is your friend

again, google this shit

edit: to be clear i HATE the tracking system, i just dont think most realize how incredibly slow you have to be moving to get credit for movement in the game. this is why i hate the tracking system

after i was told the 5kmph rule, i started getting credit for pretty much all movement

a lot of issues also have nothing to do with the severs/tracking and everything to do with your shitty phone

So weird how I use my phones GPS for a living but it only ever bugs out in Pokemon GO. Must be my flagship Android phone. Yup, gotta be. I mean how can I disagree with the "I'm right, Google it." defense?

adamy

Banned
Man a lot of people are salty about the speed limit... Why not just walk?

agreed. the game was designed for walking, not for biking or driving or public transportation

hence the very low speed limit

hell i use public transportation and bike daily but still get that you need to actually walk to maximize this game...people always trying to find a shortcut i guess...

Perhaps Ditto isn't in the game because the developers would have to create a unique battle sequence given Ditto only can know "Transform". For Gen 2, they'll have to overcome a similar hurdle with WAHHHHHHHHBUFFET

agreed. the game was designed for walking, not for biking or driving or public transportation

hence the very low speed limit

hell i use public transportation and bike daily but still get that you need to actually walk to maximize this game...people always trying to find a shortcut i guess...

...sigh

ahyRKCu.jpg

Official trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qryf2F_QfXg

Watch from about 10 seconds in. Maybe they changed their mind since the trailer but clearly they had cycling in mind. Riding your bike 5mph as a cap would be very dangerous.

Razmos

I was using a Berry on a pokemon as it ran away and when it got back to the map the game locked up, I was still walking and pokemon had appeared but I couldn't tap on anything or even move the camera, so I had to close down the game

SephiZack

Here's the list of strongest to weakest Pokemon, not including the legendaries.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...SXE5Zweq9j7kKhs/htmlview?usp=sharing&sle=true

It seems like Snorlax with Lick is #1 and Vaporeon is a very close #2.

I think the problem with the main list is that it arbitrarily considers offence*defense as the rating, but it's not know how exactly defense is taken into account in the game and probably the best pokemons to attack gyms might be different from the best pokemons to defend gyms.

Example is Alakazam: it's fairly low in the main list because it has a low defense which takes down its overall rating, but DPS-wise it will be the best available pokemon until Mewtwo gets released. Considering that when you attack gyms, the DPS of the defender is farly low and you can also dodge its attacks, DEF/HP is not that important so for people that want to attack gyms, Alakazam would be a top choice (and then put the DPS Tanks like Snorlax to defend the gym)

And then there's Vaporeon, that wrecks everything regardless

Nictel

Perhaps Ditto isn't in the game because the developers would have to create a unique battle sequence given Ditto only can know "Transform". For Gen 2, they'll have to overcome a similar hurdle with WAHHHHHHHHBUFFET

Their is a huge troll to be had: First main event: Mewtwo shows up! Everybody goes mad. Someone catches him. Ditto.

So weird how I use my phones GPS for a living but it only ever bugs out in Pokemon GO. Must be my flagship Android phone. Yup, gotta be. I mean how can I disagree with the "I'm right, Google it." defense?

Its the worst defense, because when I "googled it" this is what I found

The Pokemon Go app uses both the GPS and pedometer in your phone to determine how far you&#8217;ve walked. You can&#8217;t fool it by driving. In fact, if the app registers you're going faster than 12 mph(19 km/hr) it won't add any distance to your incubating egg.

So according to me "googling it" the ap will track your movement up to 19 km/hr instead of just 5

Teknoman

I haven't really found a reliable cache of the same Pokemon. It's mainly been Rattata, Pidgey, Eevee, the leaf stone families, and my downtown seems to have a lot of Doduo sometimes but not others. I tried farming Slowpoke at a dam where I caught my first one but I can't get more to spawn during the times of day I've been there.

There's a park near me that's apparently growlithe lands.

Dreavus

So the game came out in Canada. Caught some random stuff in my backyard where there are no stops or anything.

Head to the park and find a couple Pokestops. Find absolutely no Pokemon the entire way.

The moment I get home another one pops up in the backyard again.

I feel like I am doing something wrong here.

adamy

Banned
Its the worst defense, because when I "googled it" this is what I found

The Pokemon Go app uses both the GPS and pedometer in your phone to determine how far you’ve walked. You can’t fool it by driving. In fact, if the app registers you're going faster than 12 mph(19 km/hr) it won't add any distance to your incubating egg.

So according to me "googling it" the ap will track your movement up to 19 km/hr instead of just 5

I figured Google would reveal the fact that the games code was leaked a day or so ago

If it doesn't, then click back like 4-5 pages in the OT

John Dunbar

correct about everything
are all starter pokemon weak, or is it random like the pokemon you catch? my charmander only has 12 cp, and i have not seen a single one in the wild so boosting it would be pretty difficult.

also, does the size of pokemon matter, other than being some nice trivia? i have couple pokemon that are xl or xs, but i don't think that really matters.

Lol entire threads have been made about how inaccurate the trailer is

Try going on a hike in some rural area and catching Pokemon...

Right. We are in vanilla "WoW" level of the game right now. I bet they actually fix the rural area pokemon issue soon enough. Battling and trading isn't in the game either but they have confirmed trading should be on the way soon. I think the dev's expectation is that the game is like the trailer soon enough. I don't necessarily agree that the current speed/tracking is what the devs truly want. But it seems we are at an impasse so goodnight.

are all starter pokemon weak, or is it random like the pokemon you catch? my charmander only has 12 cp, and i have not seen a single one in the wild so boosting it would be pretty difficult.
the ones you pick from at the start are all weak. CP of pokemon you catch will be based off your trainer level so as you get higher you'll find stronger versions of the same pokemon (which also makes them harder to catch :p )
If you want super strong stuff, I think I've heard eggs are your best bet. You can get the 3 starters in 2km eggs but it's worth noting that the CP level of the eggs will be based on when you received the egg, not when you hatched it :3

If I'm wrong on any of this someone feel free to correct me XD

also, does the size of pokemon matter, other than being some nice trivia? i have couple pokemon that are xl or xs, but i don't think that really matters.

CP of pokemon depend somewhat on your trainer level. On average at lvl 21 I now find Pidgy's that are CP 540. But I also still fine 17 CP pidgy's as well. Just keep collecting pokestops and catching pokemon.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I was slightly too old to get into Pokemon the first time but this app has been a fun introduction to the universe. Best of all, my 4-year-old daughter, who literally started watching it yesterday because of our Pokehunting, is now insanely into the show and franchise. Picked her up a Fennikin (we've been watching starting with XY/Kalos I think it's called?) for her upcoming birthday and some starter decks to start playing the card game with her (she plays board games like Carcassonne and King of Tokyo with us so I think she can handle it with a little help playing on mom's "team").

Have to imagine thousands of others are having similar experiences and was thinking of just what a shot in the arm this must be for an already massive franchise.

Tagyhag

I was slightly too old to get into Pokemon the first time but this app has been a fun introduction to the universe. Best of all, my 4-year-old daughter, who literally started watching it yesterday because of our Pokehunting, is now insanely into the show and franchise. Picked her up a Fennikin (we've been watching starting with XY/Kalos I think it's called?) for her upcoming birthday and some starter decks to start playing the card game with her (she plays board games like Carcassonne and King of Tokyo with us so I think she can handle it with a little help playing on mom's "team").

Have to imagine thousands of others are having similar experiences and was thinking of just what a shot in the arm this must be for an already massive franchise.

This seems like the perfect parent/child bonding app. Especially since it promotes going outside and walking.

Unfortunately it also teaches them that everything in life is flawed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom