• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rc213

Maybe I misunderstand, but you say, before, you would use 1 regular ball and then switch to great if they escaped more than once, and you're comparing that to, now, throwing 5+ regular balls for some reason?

Sorry jumbled it a bit.

100cp> Normally 1 pokeball
Now 100cp> 5 Pokeballs all broken out, Half the time they run before I can switch balls.

Curve balls have changed dramatically specially if the Pokemon's is standing at its furthest spot. I find myself hitting the edge of my screen wasting a ball way too often.

If I can replicate it it'll make getting that 10 extra XP much easier lol.

And yeah, I tend to go for Great Balls with anything basic over 200cp. Better than wasting Pokeballs.

It's not that I chose not to believe it, it's because it came off as gloating snark. Pokemon have naturally gotten to higher CP as I've levelled up and become harder than when I started the game over time. I would naturally expect that when you're in the 20s too. To me it came off as "come back when you're my level", not an explanation.

I wanted an explanation. You originally didn't provide one. Sorry a single line I interpreted as snark didn't solve everything. I appreciate that you gave a more detailled explanation, but it was really rude the way you phrased the second post. It rubbed me the wrong way because it felt like you intentionally wasted my time when you should have been more clear before. I didn't understand initially. One line didn't cut it. Sorry about that.
Likewise, apologies if the post came off as snarky and elitist. It's just frustrating to watch people not only come to defend these changes but seemingly imply people aren't experiencing issues just because they haven't. These issues are real and frustrating, and the last thing anyone should be doing is downplaying them. There needs to be noise made so Niantic actually balances things out for those of us in the 20's (and everyone will be in their 20's sooner rather than later, it's not exactly hard). Otherwise, I might as well drop this game now if stops are dropping less items of use, it takes more items in general to simply catch Pokemon, as a result making it far, far harder to hit the 150,000+ points per level to continue leveling. This isn't balanced and Niantic needs to really know this.

They were profitable before these artificial difficulty spikes (hell, I've dropped $40 bucks alone on a damn mobile game, something I *never* thought I'd do.) so I don't see why they've made it harder for committed players to make basic progress.

Hell, they've even taken away the extra exp for throwing good Pokeballs. A lucky egg with this extra exp in a good lure spot could very much double the amount gained with enough nice/great/excellent throws, and they even took away the only semblance of reward based on skill.

They need to know they've made the experience for a lot of us worse, not better. To downplay it helps no one.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
has the android version been updated in europe? my friend has an iphone and his footsteps are gone and all that, but i still have them.

ZAMtendo

Obliterating everything that's not your friend
Why should it be in there as long as its not fixed?
New players will be like wtf is this
Without their feedback it could be as if they are removing it. I'd rather see it not working, then I know they intend to fix it..Niantic don't communicate with their massive Pokemon Go community which is the real problem here.

GulAtiCa

Beside Pidgeys & Weedles for exp stuff.

Magikarp: 82
Eevee: 58
Psyduck: 37
Venonat: 31
Paras: 31
Staru: 26
Slowpoke: 22
Poliwag: 18
Goldeen: 18
Horsea: 17

Seen 70 Weedles, caught 60
Seen 98 Pidgeys, caught 91
Seen 87 Rattatas, caught 81
Seen 46 Drowzees, caught 43

Although I've stopped even trying to catch Drowzees take too many pokeballs

zroid

Banned
Likes, I thought I had it bad. I only caught 72.

Rattata: 126 caught
Pidgey: 114 caught
Drowzee: 72 caught
Zubat: 36 caught

I would probably have even more, but I ignored the ones that popped up for a long time before realizing I may as well catch them for the XP and Stardust

I wish I saw more Pidgeys... they're great evolution fodder

L Thammy

Whats the point of posting your capture numbers if you're not going to include Pidgey and Rattata? That's not the real Pokemon Go experience.

I wish I saw more Pidgeys... they're great evolution fodder

I only figured that out yesterday! It's crazy how much easier it is to level up when you start evolution grinding.

This is close to what I see. Magikarp and Psyduck infested area here.

I have never even seen 1 drowzee yet. Am only lvl 14 though.

i think they made catching the junk pokemon harder bit everything else is the same as it was even post 20. I caught a 1040 taurus with a lucky normal pokeball on sunday.

adamy

Banned
saw this earlier today, Los Angeles here

image.png

Looks like we can hatch region exclusives?

Joni

Or gps spoof.

Seen 70 Weedles, caught 60
Seen 98 Pidgeys, caught 91
Seen 87 Rattatas, caught 81
Seen 46 Drowzees, caught 43

Although I've stopped even trying to catch Drowzees take too many pokeballs
They have a big hitbox, so I manage quite good. I had four escape.

Arrrammis

Likewise, apologies if the post came off as snarky and elitist. It's just frustrating to watch people not only come to defend these changes but seemingly imply people aren't experiencing issues just because they haven't. These issues are real and frustrating, and the last thing anyone should be doing is downplaying them. There needs to be noise made so Niantic actually balances things out for those of us in the 20's (and everyone will be in their 20's sooner rather than later, it's not exactly hard). Otherwise, I might as well drop this game now if stops are dropping less items of use, it takes more items in general to simply catch Pokemon, as a result making it far, far harder to hit the 150,000+ points per level to continue leveling. This isn't balanced and Niantic needs to really know this.

They were profitable before these artificial difficulty spikes (hell, I've dropped $40 bucks alone on a damn mobile game, something I *never* thought I'd do.) so I don't see why they've made it harder for committed players to make basic progress.

Hell, they've even taken away the extra exp for throwing good Pokeballs. A lucky egg with this extra exp in a good lure spot could very much double the amount gained with enough nice/great/excellent throws, and they even took away the only semblance of reward based on skill.

They need to know they've made the experience for a lot of us worse, not better. To downplay it helps no one.

I hate to be the person that you described in the first part of your post, but I have still been able to get Nice/Great/Excellent with my pokeball catches by landing the ball inside of the colored circle. It seems like they changed the way that the pokeball arcs in the update, but after learning the new circle I have been able to get the Nice!/Great! bonus pretty consistently. It might be another Android/IoS difference (I'm on Android), but I have noticed that the reward for well-thrown pokeballs is still in the game for me.
EDIT: Nevermind, I thought since Nice!/Great!/Excellent! still popped up, you still got bonus exp for it. Now I'm salty too :(

Outside of that, I agree with you on everything else. Niantic has huge potential with this app, and they're flushing it all down the drain with their lack of communication, poor design choices, and initial server issues.

image.png

I'm so torn on believing it or not. I'm also in LA and have seen a kangaskhan in a gym. However not single person I know, or myself, has ever hatched a region exclusive. I've personally hatched 433 eggs which is far more than anyone else I know. I don't think it's possible, I think the people that have em GPS spoofed and either caught them in the other country or grabbed an egg from over there. Who knows though man, but id love to have a definitive answer.

Toki767

I hate to be the person that you described in the first part of your post, but I have still been able to get Nice/Great?Excellent with my pokeball catches by landing the ball inside of the colored circle. It seems like they changed the way that the pokeball arcs in the update, but after learning the new circle I have been able to get the Nice!/Great! bonus pretty consistently. It might be another Android/IoS difference (I'm on Android), but I have noticed that the reward for well-thrown pokeballs is still in the game for me.

Outside of that, I agree with you on everything else. Niantic has huge potential with this app, and they're flushing it all down the drain with their lack of communication and initial server issues.
You still get a 10 EXP bonus for a curveball throw.

You no longer get 10/50/100 bonuses for Nice/Great/Excellent throws.

dity

Ok. Maybe we'll find out about why it's happening to some people at some point. It could also be a bug too. Regardless people jump to malicious intent so quickly though, y'know? So quick to accuse Niantic of nickle and diming. Regular Pokeballs probably aren't even that useful over level 20.

Dude I hate to join the chorus but Niantic is seriously un-funning this game.I can't catch shit anymore, the app crashes at least once every 2 minutes (no exaggeration), no more tracking sites or any tracking for that matter, and I now also can't play the game while GPS is turned off. I've been playing with it off at work since GPS while on the bottom floor of a building is a battery murderer. I couldn't get it to start today because my GPS was off. Turned it on and voila, game is working.
Ok. Maybe we'll find out about why it's happening to some people at some point. It could also be a bug too. Regardless people jump to malicious intent so quickly though, y'know? So quick to accuse Niantic of nickle and diming. Regular Pokeballs probably aren't even that useful over level 20.
In all seriousness, people on the Internet hardly ever give the benefit of the doubt. But I literally just spent 3 Pokeballs on a 10hp Rattata only to run away. I'm level 18. If that isn't the direct result of unfair difficulty scaling, I don't know what is. A week ago I was catching Pidgeys/rattatas one handed while walking the dog. I'm now using great balls and razz berries to do the same thing.

ymgve

So I have been mapping a bit of pokespawns around my home, so far I have only found one spawn within 70 meters, and then there has been one or two pokemon spawning outside that I have seen before.

But despite having noe spawns within the 70 meter range I always get a full radar display. Anyone know what's up with that?

What do you mean by "radar display"? The Nearby list? That one stretches much farther than 70m, it's at least 200m or more.

Meier

Don't agree with people asking for refunds either. I definitely got my money's worth for what I've spent. Luckily I'm more in the steadily filling out my Pokédex and not the gym capturing.

I'm also willing to give Niantic some time to fix issues like the tracker. But they really really need to come alive in interacting with their community they've lucked into.

All of this. Well said, Rigo. I still think it's a very good game and compelling -- but they have to engage their users MUCH better. At the moment, the game is unplayable as it was intended to be played.. so taking away Pokevision and Pokemon Nearby is a step backwards and will drive away players.

Kinokou

What do you mean by "radar display"? The Nearby list? That one stretches much farther than 70m, it's at least 200m or more.

Exactly what I meant, I have seen multiple claims that it is reduced from 100 to 70. Which obviously can't be true, but do they mean something else changed?

Muku

No more Nice, Great, Excellent? I thought I'd been throwing some that would have met that but now I see it here I haven't seen any of that since patch. What the Farfetch'd? >< Would also explain why my exp bar is not moving at all. Well, definately time to leave the Rattata, Spearows, and Zubats alone. I was already picky to some degree, but picked up some for EXP. Now I can just say screw most stuff. (Zubats I already said I give up on, because they're jerks with wings.)

I know I read somewhere that an article stated iOS having Battery Saver removed, even if by mistake or to fix something later, was a blessing. I don't know. I can't just leave it in my pocket to buzz me. Took it to Bellevue with me yesterday and ate through the battery like a monster. I don't have a recharger, and don't plan on getting one as I could at least go out for a bit. Now it's just shorter trips to areas closers I guess. Because I don't want to buy a charger just for this. At least not now.

The catch rate is awful. Yesterday had dumb CP 10 Weedles one shot the balls I tried to catch them in and run. Really? Well I didn't really need you anyway, you stupid shit Weedle. It's a mixed bag on higher stuff. Feel like it runs first break out a lot more often than it used to. Lost a Weezing and Abra yesterday to that. (Though I hear Abras are jerks anyways. Only gotten one up to this point anyway.) Fortunately snagged the Jynx I found while out.

Also, feel like they need to start looking at neighborhood Pokestops / Gyms being reported. Neighborhood by the park here are assholes. Folks still go in and tackle the gym, but they're giving hell to people that go there now. Claiming the tiny road is private. Not sure how truthful they're being. I feel like after the first few signs didn't work they pull something out of their rear to threaten folks with now. I wish they'd just move that gym to park next door anyway.

Toki767

Just encountered the lack of exp bonus for a nice throw. Wow, that's a terrible and pointless change.
Sadly those don't even increase capture rate so now they're just there for no reason at all.

Hell, the circle getting smaller is there for no reason at all now.

panda-zebra

Nice/Great/Excellent don't give XP gains anymore - is there any evidence they give better catching chances instead? Only way to prove/disprove that would be to use a bot maybe?

ymgve

Exactly what I meant, I have seen multiple claims that it is reduced from 100 to 70. Which obviously can't be true, but do they mean something else changed?

First, no Pokemon will show up on the map unless they are 50m or closer. But there is an area beyond that which contains Pokemon that the app knows the exact GPS location to, but won't show to you yet. This is kind of a "buffer" since the app only queries for new Pokemon every 5 seconds. This area was originally in your 50-100m radius, but has been reduced to 50-70m. This generally won't be noticeable by normal players.

Ossom

Just had a strange thing happen. Didn't think to take a screen shot, but when I was looking at my eggs - I think one may have actually hit the distance to hatch - it came up with a message that said something along the lines of: eggs like butter and you should give the egg butter for it to grow/hatch.

It displayed the egg and said 7/10km although it should have been 7.8km. It also had the button to incubate the egg even though it was already incubated.

This happened for all eggs that were incubated and said 7/10km regardless of the egg type. I exited the menu and then an egg hatched. When I went back in and it was normal again.

Is there any reference to butter in any of the other games? Seems odd to me.

L Thammy

Just had a strange thing happen. Didn't think to take a screen shot, but when I was looking at my eggs - I think one may have actually hit the distance to hatch - it came up with a message that said something along the lines of: eggs like butter and you should give the egg butter for it to grow/hatch.

It displayed the egg and said 7/10km although it should have been 7.8km. It also had the button to incubate the egg even though it was already incubated.

This happened for all eggs that were incubated and said 7/10km regardless of the egg type. I exited the menu and then an egg hatched. When I went back in and it was normal again.

eat-communismewl4i.gif

Nice/Great/Excellent don't give XP gains anymore - is there any evidence they give better catching chances instead? Only way to prove/disprove that would be to use a bot maybe?

I think they must do. It seems only logical since they don't give exp anymore - otherwise they could have been totally removed? It would be stupid if they have left it there just for the `wow factor` or whatever. Can't say I have any first-hand experience of them giving better catch rates though.

Wow, that's really peculiar.. maybe some weird kind of easter egg (no pun intended)? Wish you could have screen-shotted it. Maybe someone else will run into it.
I think they must do. It seems only logical since they don't give exp anymore - otherwise they could have been totally removed? It would be stupid if they have left it there just for the `wow factor` or whatever. Can't say I have any first-hand experience of them giving better catch rates though.
Same, I've had so many weak-ass rattatas jet after a berry+great ball+nice/great throw. The only thing that rewarded skill, gone. And it seems like it doesn't even boost the catch rate either. They made shallow gameplay even shallower.

Naintic.

What's. Going. On.

image.png

Most likely they were in Asia when they got it. I know I'm going to be throwing Tauros in every gym possible when I got to Europe later this month and I hope I can catch a Mr. Mime. I keep hoping we'll be allowed to trade by then so I can hook people up over there. I have over 10 Tauros that I have been holding on to just in case.

So today I was walking and a Kingler appeared on my radar, I was lucky enough to stumble on it so I tried to catch it. I threw the pokeball but once the pokemon waas inside, the ball didn't shake or anything and a few seconds later the Kingler escaped the pokeball and ran away.

However I checked my pokemon, sorted by most recent and the Kingler was there.

Has anyone experienced something like this where the pokemon apparently runs away but when you check your captured pokemon it's there?

I didn't check wether or not it gave me the new pokedex entry XP bonus.

Toki767

2'a get you the starters and Pikachu. They have their uses.

Yep. I'm at the stage where 5s are useless for me since most things in them I've already evolved.

2s are quick and they give starters, which tend to flee a lot in the wild.

10s are usually pretty powerful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom