• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My experience has been the opposite. I've seen a lot more rarer pokemons in my area after the patch. Before the patch I encountered basically only Doduos, Weedles, Caterpies, and Rattata's. Now it's so much more diverse. Nidoran have almost become common now.

The catch rate is still messed up tho.

While I have seen more nidoran bulbasaur/charizards im seeing less of the evolve versions now.

Some footage of someone having trouble reaching pokemon, post patch, post level 20 player almost exactly as I have been having. I ran into this issue with an aggressive Hitmonchan and Pidgeot at Disneyland yesterday. Way too far, and way harder to throw balls that actually reach the damn thing. That distance the Pidgeot is seems to be the most troublesome in that footage.

Thought I'd also gif some footage of the old Pokemon breaking free animation vs the new one, with the actual pokeberry opening. It's both visually smoother and less jarring than the new one they put in for some reason.
1YceYeW.gif
The jumpier release animation:
It's one of the bigger cosmetic changes that I took note of (and that I'm seeing plenty of since Pokemon break free constantly now). I know it's a weird small quip but it really jumps out to me.

Hycran

Banned
Can anyone speak to any weighted percentages in what comes out of an egg? I did the raw math and I am still interested in:

4/16 from 10k eggs
18/40 from 5k eggs
9/14 from 2k eggs

Most 2k eggs I pop have spearow or pidgey in them, and mathematically speaking I should have far more candy for the guys in the eggs than I currently do.

As for 5k eggs, there are ~40 that can come from the egg, and while I have popped quite a few I have no way of knowing how many duplicates, if any, i've received so far.

If anyone knows of certain guys being rarer than others or knows how the egg system works that would be great.

Edit: In that video he is also using a pokeball for an 800+cp pidgeot. That wouldnt have worked before the patch, let alone after.

adamy

Banned
Some footage of someone having trouble reaching pokemon, post patch, post level 20 player almost exactly as I have been having. I ran into this issue with an aggressive Hitmonchan and Pidgeot at Disneyland yesterday. Way too far, and way harder to throw balls that actually reach the damn thing. That distance the Pidgeot is seems to be the most troublesome in that footage.

lol...are you being serious?

the guy is making TERRIBLE throws, which is why he is having issues

As to the specific video you posted, he needs to start the throw arc much, much lower

I'm about to hit level 27 and I always manage to get some sort of shot bonus

The video you just posted is making me start to believe that maybe some of the people bitching about catch difficulty have no clue how to throw

Edit: my bad my type to talk freaked out

Jintor

Is anyone getting a weird glitch tonight where a Pokémon appears, but when you touch it it disappears? It usually reappears a few seconds later but disappears again if you touch it again.

Getting this right now, surrounded by disappearing electabuzz in ueno park right now :(

Jintor

This is pretty shit. Can't go a day without some kind of fucking issue popping up.

At least I can save battery life I guess

lol...are you being serious?

the guy is making TERRIBLE throws, which is why he is having issues

As to the specific video you posted, he needs to start the throw arc much, much lower

I'm about to hit level 27 and I always manage to get some sort of shot bonus

The video you just posted is making me start to believe that maybe some of the people bitching about catch difficulty have no clue how to throw

Edit: my bad my type to talk freaked out
The [woman!] talks about how her old throwing technique isn't working, same as mine wasn't post-patch, which is why her throws are missing. It feels like they changed the pitch of the arc for curves and throws. In addition, like others have pointed out here pokemon like that Pidgeot feel like they are placed extremely far making them extremely difficult to reach.

If she was that bad at throws, I doubt she would have made it to level 23 without losing literally every ball she has, wouldn't you agree? So yes, I am serious.

adamy

Banned
The [woman!] talks about how her old throwing technique isn't working, same as mine wasn't post-patch, which is why her throws are missing. It feels like they changed the pitch of the arc for curves and throws. In addition, like others have pointed out here pokemon like that Pidgeot feel like they are placed extremely far making them extremely difficult to reach.

If she was that bad at throws, I doubt she would have made it to level 23 without losing literally every ball she has, wouldn't you agree? So yes, I am serious.

I had it on no sound so wasn't listening, but yeah the mechanics behind throws have definitely changed significantly

I don't think it's harder tho, I actually think it's a big improvement

Only took like 5 mins to make the adjustment

Looks like she is continuing to throw how she did previously without adjusting to the new system whatsoever

adamy

Banned
Also, for me personally, the further the pokemon is, the easier it is to catch

The only issues I ever have are with pokemon that are right up against my face

Muku

Not sure if just me or what, but since update I don't get shit on my walks to the park now. Not all walks were fantastic, but I'd at least get a pidgey, a weedle, and maybe some other piddly thing thrown my way. Now I can't seem to find shit. I won't complain about not finding any at the park, because unless there's a lure I never find anything there. But on my walks? Nothing? Really? Hrmph

I had it on no sound so wasn't listening, but yeah the mechanics behind throws have definitely changed significantly

I don't think it's harder tho, I actually think it's a big improvement

Only took like 5 mins to make the adjustment

Looks like she is continuing to throw how she did previously without adjusting to the new system whatsoever
Even with the adjustment, I don't know if you've had to catch a pokemon at that distance, but it is extremely difficult. I eventually managed to snag the Pidgeot, and Hitmonchan that were that far, but not without doing a wildly exaggerated throwing motion that I'd never had to do before.

To be fair, there were only two I've encountered with this issue, but also stronger, aggressive types. But with the already wild deflections and jumps, on top of extremely high breaking and escaping rates, the last thing we need is another aspect vacuuming poke balls.

adamy

Banned
Even with the adjustment, I don't know if you've had to catch a pokemon at that distance, but it is extremely difficult. I eventually managed to snag the Pidgeot, and Hitmonchan that were that far, but not without doing a wildly exaggerated throwing motion that I'd never had to do before.

To be fair, there were only two I've encountered with this issue, but also stronger, aggressive types. But with the already wild deflections and jumps, on top of extremely high breaking and escaping rates, the last thing we need is another aspect vacuuming poke balls.

So a little backstory: I actually recently smashed my iPhone 6 and have had to use my wife's old iPhone 5s recently

The much smaller screen made it extremely difficult to hit Pokémon that were far away

With this new update, I find it much much much easier to hit Pokémon at great distances

Everything seems more sensitive, which takes some time to get used to, especially because you're going to be adding a lot more spin to your ball

But one thing I've noticed, it's much easier to launch your ball great distances

I'm fixing the screen on my iPhone 6 this week, but as a temporary iPhone 5s user, the update was definitely a huge improvement

So a little backstory: I actually recently smashed my iPhone 6 and have had to use my wife's old iPhone 5s recently

The much smaller screen made it extremely difficult to hit Pokémon that were far away

With this new update, I find it much much much easier to hit Pokémon at great distances

Everything seems more sensitive, which takes some time to get used to, especially because you're going to be adding a lot more spin to your ball

But one thing I've noticed, it's much easier to launch your ball great distances

I'm fixing the screen on my iPhone 6 this week, but as a temporary iPhone 5s user, the update was definitely a huge improvement
Maybe this update has done the opposite for big phones since I have the 6s Plus?

krae_man

I've only got one 10k egg so far. Hope I get some more soon. I'm almost level 20 and you get incubators at that level. Gotta get credit for walking twice for the greatest distance possible yo.

Popped another 10k egg today and got another Electabuzz. Also caught a Sycther today using the in game nearby tracking. We lost him but I used the tracking map app to find out he was still in the area and me, my brother, and friend were successful to catch him.

So the tap -> disappear -> reappear -> repeat glitch just fucked me out of a Butterfree (Caterpie is stupidly rare here, so that's kind of a big deal).

That glitch and the bait-and-switch glitch have gotten so bad for my girlfriend that unless she's at a lured stop, one or the other is basically guaranteed.

Niantic is introducing major issues faster than they can fix them.

Jeez, someone has had the stop that I can hit from my work desk lured basically all day. I would have caught 30 plus Pokemon today just sitting at my computer. How am I meant to get any bloody work done?

adamy

Banned
Ah. So if you guys were in my shoes, would you evolve the Dratini thats 579 at 67% IV or the 509 with 76% IV?

You're asking the wrong guy. I wouldn't evolve one until I had one that had 100% IV perfection

I already have a few dragonites so I'm in no rush

eek5

Not sure if just me or what, but since update I don't get shit on my walks to the park now. Not all walks were fantastic, but I'd at least get a pidgey, a weedle, and maybe some other piddly thing thrown my way. Now I can't seem to find shit. I won't complain about not finding any at the park, because unless there's a lure I never find anything there. But on my walks? Nothing? Really? Hrmph

The spawns are always at the same time so if you used to go on walks 10 min past the hour but now go 30 min past the hour you may not see shit. I've mapped out good spawn routes for some nests and a lot of them have their spawns overlap in a 30 min window so you could go at 10 min past the hour and be out at 40 min past the hour and see 90% of the spawns which means theres a time where you could arrive and walk around and see nothing.

Chuckie

I think Niantic introduced a new glitch. I caught an Eevee.... but once caught...it was a Dratini. Then I caugt a Ratata and it changed into a Staryu. Happened to two colleagues as well :/

I think Niantic introduced a new glitch. I caught an Eevee.... but once caught...it was a Dratini. Then I caugt a Ratata and it changed into a Staryu. Happened to two colleagues as well :/

Why the disappointment, wish that my commons became Dratini's and Staryu's! There's a glitch I actually wouldn't mind.

Chuckie

Why the disappointment, wish that my commons became Dratini's and Staryu's! There's a glitch I actually wouldn't mind.

While I was happy for the freebie Dratini, I wouldn't want it to happen constantly. Imagine being happy you found a Rhyhorn, you catch it and it changes into a Pokemon you already caught a hundred of.

BowieZ

Banned
What is your leveling method right now? Evolving a shit-ton of pidgey's? I'm looking at the road ahead for 25+ and it's frightening.
Playing for around 10 hours a day on average. Walking as much as possible (lost 12kg!), hanging around the city or local hubs, grinding almost every 'Mon, holding onto as many gyms daily as possible (8-10) for that sweet coinage (spent solely on lucky eggs -- I got the bundle of 8 eggs and am now working my way towards the 25 eggs (1250!) to help me into and through my 30s (levels and age!)), saving up tons of evolutions for the double xp, and using some serious inventory management skill.

My one cheat: I do collect stuff while on the bus to and from the city usually daily.

ciD_Vain

Looking back at the original trailer and Niantic's recent post above, maybe they will reimplement tracking through AR and actual measured distance.

Joni

They are finally getting the point that silce doesn't work. I hope they continue talking to their users, but they could use a bit more content in the future.

That is kinda disappointing. I was hoping for some big event.

Svafnir

They are finally getting the point that silce doesn't work. I hope they continue talking to their users, but they could use a bit more content in the future.

That is kinda disappointing. I was hoping for some big event.

It's most likely a glitch, so don't worry too much. Currently Pokemon are turning into other pokemon.

Thank God, actual words, finally. Now Niantic, just keep talking and you'll do fine.

Also, their post almost makes it seem like they'll ease up on 3rd party services down the line, and that the biggest reason for closing them down was to reduce the number of server queries. Now, they've also indicated that they won't allow scanners and auto-mappers, so who knows, but maybe this could at least indicate future steps to properly legitimize stuff like PokéAdvisor and similar services?

mugwhump

Yeah, I caught a seel that turned into a staryu, and a caterpie that turned into a psyduck, both right outside my house on my way to and from work.

Alright, good. They do listen to feedback, it just takes a while.

I believe the bit about them being swamped and working crazy hours, they've obviously got more problems than they're capable of fixing in the short term. Don't think there's much for us to do but wait.

zulux21

if there are any sex offenders in new york in here.. (unlikely but still)

it is now illegal for you to play pokemon go.

yes, new york has went ahead and pushed a law banning some people from playing pokemon go. while a tiny percent of the people on the list were arrested for acts against children, people who were drunk and urinated on a bush and someone called the cops also can't play.

gotta tip the cap to media outlits for making everyone afraid of pokemon go just because some incidents that likely would have happened even without pokemon go have happened while people are playing it.

Thank God, actual words, finally. Now Niantic, just keep talking and you'll do fine.

Also, their post almost makes it seem like they'll ease up on 3rd party services down the line, and that the biggest reason for closing them down was to reduce the number of server queries. Now, they've also indicated that they won't allow scanners and auto-mappers, so who knows, but maybe this could at least indicate future steps to properly legitimize stuff like PokéAdvisor and similar services?

If they implement a proper solution to find pokemon (something more akin to the trailer or what I hear was in the beta, not the launch tracker) then I know I wouldn't use a scanner anymore. I have no issues wandering around watching my nearby for rare pokemon, I just need a reliable way to be able to go find those rare pokemon once they show up.

nelchaar

This game basically locks people out of the whole gym part of it if they are not high level from early on. How the heck are you supposed to catch up?

Joni

It's most likely a glitch, so don't worry too much. Currently Pokemon are turning into other pokemon.

Yes. But now I'm thinking I should go out and catch meaningless Pokémon in the hope they transform into an Articuno, and wondering if I should update the app for this or not.

Pachimari

Then I should just catch any Pokémon and hope they turn into some badass. I wonder how long it'll take them to send out a fix. Hopefully not too long.

scottnak

I wonder... if this glitch is happening where people's caught pokemon are not what they seem... is the fact the nests changed its spawns recently the same source of the issue?

zulux21

This game basically locks people out of the whole gym part of it if they are not high level from early on. How the heck are you supposed to catch up?

it's not really all that bad if you work with friends.

a level 5 will likely have some issues, but reaching level 10 doesn't take that long, and if you work with a friend or two you should be able to take down pretty much any gym still.

worst case just ignore gyms until level 20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom