• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaos17

It's not like there's a hardcore competitive PvP side to the game. Anything that has IVs over 80% or so should be more than fine imo. Move-set could matter a bit more but then again you never know when Niantic will re-balance that stuff so honestly why bother trying to make it 'perfect'?

Edit: those IV help to decide which Pokemons to keep or not and at some points we even had a tier list but it's becoming irrevelant with those cheaters with 3K+ Rare Pokemons.

Well now. I hatched a 592 Bulba with 87% IV and a Clefairy with 670 91% IV. Evolutions should be something else.

If I get a good "above average" CP at Bulba I could be looking at a near or over 3000 Venosaur.

Nightbird

Everyone hates on Onix when he wastes their 10km eggs, but I'm happy to have just hatched one because I'd never seen one in the wild.

Puts me at 108 caught :D

I'd be glad about Onix. My Buddy lives close to Jynx hell, so everytime I visit him I have like 3 more Jynx.

Having one pop out of your 10km Eggs after all of this physically hurts.

pringles

Edit: those IV help to decide which Pokemons to keep or not and at some points we even had a tier list but it's becoming irrevelant with those cheaters with 3K+ Rare Pokemons.
Yeah for sure, I use it to make sure I'm evolving/powering a decent pokemon and not a scrub. Just saying I don't think people should feel bad about their best IVs being in the 80s or low 90s instead of perfect, or questioning whether to power up a 90+% Lapras. 80-90% vs 100% is a difference of what, 10-20CP for a fully maxed out pokemon at lvl 40?

Geneijin

I have a 92% Lapras that has a normal Ice attack and a charge dragon attack. Worth leveling or wait for the inevitable better one? I mean Lapras aren't exactly common around here...
If it's limited availability, I would just wait. But if you have a lackluster roster - entirely depends what you're trying to achieve like the difference between holding 2 or 3 gyms, I'd reconsider.

It's not like there's a hardcore competitive PvP side to the game. Anything that has IVs over 80% or so should be more than fine imo. Move-set could matter a bit more but then again you never know when Niantic will re-balance that stuff so honestly why bother trying to make it 'perfect'?
That's with any meta, old or now. You either can decide to reap the benefits of it while you can or just ignore it entirely. Even with the Vaporeon nerf, it's not like it's garbage tier now. Easily one of the best gym attacker and defenders you can ever have.

Growlie19

I am now 3 for 5 in regards to hatching Eevee from 10K eggs. Would it kill the game to give me a fossil mon or Dratini? Maybe my upcoming 5K eggs will be better. They usually are.

Doesn't the highest CP Pokémon go into position one in a gym? So your Snorlax having one CP more than someone else's could keep it there longer.

Still doesn't matter if all this IV data is wrong though.

Septic360

Banned
Instant regret
Untitled.png

I know them feels brah!

Geneijin

Doesn't the highest CP Pokémon go into position one in a gym? So your Snorlax having one CP more than someone else's could keep it there longer.

Still doesn't matter if all this IV data is wrong though.
What was the Pokemon and stats you were measuring (CP/HP/Stardust) earlier? The only way you can absolutely know with 100% certainty what the actual stats of your Pokemon are is if you do some TOS violation stuff.

I just wasted three Ultra Balls on a 327 CP Evee.
The game froze on the third.

Then I wasted two more ultra balls on a 217 Pidgey. The game froze on the second.

This game is no longer buggy... it's broken.

Par Score

Does not reroll. Moveset is usually more important than IVs, though.

Cannot be stated enough.

If your perfect IV Poke has garbage moves, that extra 10% isn't going to help it, and if you have a middling IV Poke with the perfect moves, it will be a monster.

Of course Niantic have already shown they're not afraid of making huge balance changes to moves, so IVs are more "permanent".

Septic360

Banned
Cannot be stated enough.

If your perfect IV Poke has garbage moves, that extra 10% isn't going to help it, and if you have a middling IV Poke with the perfect moves, it will be a monster.

Of course Niantic have already shown they're not afraid of making huge balance changes to moves, so IVs are more "permanent".

How do you assess whether it has perfect moves or not? Im new to this and never played the Pokemon games so I dont really know what are considered great attack moves etc

https://pokeadvisor.com/ is pretty awesome, but has anyone crossed checked these results with other websites yet? From what I can tell it seems to take the average of all possible IV combinations, at least for the ones that aren't guaranteed.

Example: Pokeadvisor says my Bulbasaur is 75.6%, while another tool says 67-93%

It seems to just be averaging out the possible results, but still seems quite handy.

Took a level 8, 80k prestige gym by myself last night.

Stacking it with 4 Arcanine was a bad idea, Mystic. Rhydon ran a train through that stop.

Got me enough XP to hit 21 by the end of my park visit. Pretty stoked.

You're welcome.

PSA: If you see anyone near lvl 40 in a gym please report that person because it's almost impossible for legit player to reach that level in month because you kinda need between 1-2 yearrs to get that amount of exp
https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRoad/comments/4vw9x5/see_you_in_two_years_fellas/?sort=top
Highest i have seen somoene was 35 i believe, absolutely floored me as i can only image what the xp you need to level up at that point since you need 100K to get to level 23.

I went out and caught like 40 in a row with zero escapes!

Yesterday I was having issues with escapes but today none. Only difference was the area I was in.

Also it was mostly magickarp amd psyducks and a few dratini etc. Maybe those just don't escape as much.

Rellik

I went out and caught like 40 in a row with zero escapes!

Yesterday I was having issues with escapes but today none. Only difference was the area I was in.

Also it was mostly magickarp amd psyducks and a few dratini etc. Maybe those just don't escape as much.

Magikarps are the devil to me now. They run away like Usain Bolt. Only started after the update.

GulAtiCa

Hatched so many eggs yesterday! Actually just hatched a few 2k eggs this morning. Mostly crap, but did get a Jigglypuff! cool.

I also decided to increase my bag limit. I'm now at 500. I meant to do 450, but accidentally hit the buy button again. Oh well, it will come in handy. I'm now down to 730 coins. By the weekend I should be back up to 800.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
I just wasted three Ultra Balls on a 327 CP Evee.
The game froze on the third.

Then I wasted two more ultra balls on a 217 Pidgey. The game froze on the second.

This game is no longer buggy... it's broken.

why would you throw ultra balls at a pidgey? even if you have no other balls left, just leave it dude.

lt519

I also decided to increase my bag limit. I'm now at 500. I meant to do 450, but accidentally hit the buy button again. Oh well, it will come in handy. I'm now down to 730 coins. By the weekend I should be back up to 800.

This is so incredibly easy to use that I'm surprised there wasn't more backlash about it. Twice I bought incubators and somehow ended up with two instead of one each time.

RalchAC

Well, so after 2 weeks where I haven't really played duo to various life responsibilities, I've went back to Pokemon Go. Can't say I'm happy with what I've seen so far.

Catch rate

It definitely feels off. It seems the higher your level is, the harder Pokemon are to catch. Shouldn't it be the other way around? I've tossed like 3 Fruits and 6 Balls to a 70 CP Spearow today. It ran away. I wasted 3 Balls in a 30 CP Pidgey too.

On the other hand, I didn't have as many problems catching a 200 CP Drowzey, for example.

This is supposed to be an RPG, even if the elements are a bit light. The higher my level is, the easier should be to catch low level Pokemon. But somehow I'm having more problems catching a 30 CP Pidgey than I had when I was level 4. That doesn't make sense at all.

The footprint controversy

I wasn't aware of all the problems there were, how Pokevision was making the servers more unstable and all that. What I know is that when I stopped playing the footprint system worked. Now it doesn't. And when you decide to just wander around looking for some Pokemon, being completely blind doesn't help at all. It kind of kills the joy of wandering around, seeing you have a strange Pokemon near you and moving around for a while, looking for the correct flying leaves.

What I see here is a game that, instead of getting better and more feature rich as time passes, just has become poorer. Which wouldn't really be a problem if we were playing a Beta version. But this is a full release, Which bring the latest problem.

How can this game still feel so barebones after a month?

It's been quite a long while since the game launched. There hasn't been any new features. There isn't any roadmap. They've stripped an existing feature which has made the game worse. And using 3rd party services (if they work) isn't the solution to this problem.

Couldn't they make achievements useful? They could gift new clothes, stardust or rare Pokemon Candy.
Couldn't they add daily quests? They couldn't be that hard to implement, something like:
  • Visit 5 Pokestops
  • Catch 5 wild Pokemon
  • Fight against an enemy gym 3 times
  • Fight against a friend gym Pokemon 3 times.
  • Reclaim your Gym rewards

Those are two features that I don't think will be THAT complicated to add to the game. At this point it just feels like Niantic isn't capable of managing a game from a brand as popular as Pokemon. And not only that. We are blindly waiting because there is zero communication between the game and their audience.

So... yeah. I don't think I will uninstall the game, since it's still fun as a social experience and I wander around my city with some friends from time to time. But I'm not that happy with the game right now.

taybul

Encountered the first pokemon in a while in the rural neighborhood I'm currently in, a 59 CP Paras. First throw curved away, next two I flat out missed, 4th curved again, finally caught on 5th, didn't escape fortunately. What's going on with this game?

adamy

Banned

Because once you hit a certain level there's not much else to do?

I've captured almost 3,000 pokemon brah, finding ones with perfect IV and move set just adds another layer and something else to do

Chaos17

Catch rate

It definitely feels off. It seems the higher your level is, the harder Pokemon are to catch. Shouldn't it be the other way around? I've tossed like 3 Fruits and 6 Balls to a 70 CP Spearow today. It ran away. I wasted 3 Balls in a 30 CP Pidgey too.
Analysis shows that catch rate wasn't changed but the person didn't detailed about other factors, he just analysed the formula.
https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRoad/comments/4vs70r/analysis_on_catch_rates_and_encounters/
The footprint controversy

I wasn't aware of all the problems there were, how Pokevision was making the servers more unstable and all that.
Personaly, I think that's bs because in overall people didn't noticed any improuvement and for some the game became more unstable since update. I think Niantic blocked them just because CEO said he doesn't like them in his recent interview.
B]How can this game still feel so barebones after a month? [/B]
It's been quite a long while since the game launched. There hasn't been any new features. There isn't any roadmap. They've stripped an existing feature which has made the game worse. And using 3rd party services (if they work) isn't the solution to this problem.
Launching in different countries with no stable servers most of the time is the problem specialy when Niantic aim to release in 200 countries. For now they stoped to roll out release.

Sweet, my Charizard has the perfect move set. No idea about his IV though.

This website may help you with the IV, it analyses in 1 Go all your pokemons.
https://pokeadvisor.com/

https://pokeadvisor.com/ is pretty awesome, but has anyone crossed checked these results with other websites yet? From what I can tell it seems to take the average of all possible IV combinations, at least for the ones that aren't guaranteed.

Example: Pokeadvisor says my Bulbasaur is 75.6%, while another tool says 67-93%

It seems to just be averaging out the possible results, but still seems quite handy.
Pokeadvisor gives you the exact IVs your pokemon has. It gets them straight from the server, no need to guess or average.

EL CUCO

Dang, got super excited when I saw a Slowbro be the first one on my near by list, when I got into my office. Restarted the app to make sure it wasn't bogus...2 Rattatas :(

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Hey look a charmander is nearby. It's be really nice if I could track it down somehow hah but that's silly

edit: actually it just totally popped up right next to me so I'll shut up. Thank u arceus

T.O.P

Banned
Ran around for 15 minutes becuase i saw a Blastoise pop up in the "tracker"

I'm now sweating like a crazy person and also wanna throw my phone to the wall

Ran around for 15 minutes becuase i saw a Blastoise pop up in the "tracker"

I'm now sweating like a crazy person and also wanna throw my phone to the wall

Sounds like me yesterday. A Pikachu silhouette finally showed up near me, I ran all over looking for it and finally gave up. Starting to think I will never find one lol, 88 caught so far and no Pika....

Hey look a charmander is nearby. It's be really nice if I could track it down somehow hah but that's silly

edit: actually it just totally popped up right next to me so I'll shut up. Thank u arceus
That happened with me and Kadabra. I was about to be a little annoyed about the lack of steps, only for it to spawn on top of my car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom