• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So how exactly does this new "sightings" feature work...? I think I read somewhere that we can now track the Pokemon we find, but I can't seem to do that. Or is that just for the "nearby" ones with a Pokestop's picture next to them?

It's not like I play the game too seriously or anything like other people do, so I don't go out of my way to look for Pokemon, especially since it would be far too dangerous for me to just roam around, lol. Still, it's exciting when I do go out, but at the same time disappointing cause, again, too dangerous, so I can't just go wherever, sadly.

Game's been out less than a week here and I've seen a Bulbasaur and Scyther here at home, but couldn't find them no matter what. Bummer.
There is no tracking for Nearby or Sightings.

The Nearby feature shows you a Pokestop, you tap the Pokestop and the map zooms out to show you the location of the Pokestop. When you approach the Pokestop, the Pokestop has a radar, just like you do and you and you see said Pokemon and then you can go get it.

So you're not tracking anything down, you're basically using a map, just limited to a few Pokemon.

Sightings is just the same as before, but with some grass and it ditches dead Pokemon a bit quicker and does a better job of updating. It however still isn't in the correct order.

So if you don't live near Pokestops you're still just as fucked as before as there's no hot/cold system like the steps provided on launch, but with a little help in that Pokemon disappear quicker it should aid in hunting it down.

get it to be vaporeon and you got beast mode happening

Already have a vaporeon, I think also with IVs in the 90s. I evolved the one from the egg into flareon. Now I have all three eevolutions. Feels quite good because Eevee isn't really that common where I am (but then again nothing is, except for pidgey, rattata and weedle...).

Koren

So if you don't live near Pokestops you're still just as fucked as before as there's no hot/cold system like the steps provided on launch, but with a little help in that Pokemon disappear quicker it should aid in hunting it down.
The fact that the 'sighting' update (quite) reliabily and quickly make the system quite usable.

You mostly need two points A and B (preferably 140m away to get the best precision) where a given pokemon appear/disappear in the sighting windows. The pokemon is at the* point 100m of both A and B.

When you get one point, it's easy to get the other, you just have to stay at the limit of detection.

* There's obviously 2 of those, but while searching for the second point, you easily know which side of (AB) is the pokemon.

correojon

The fact that the 'sighting' update (quite) reliabily and quickly make the system quite usable.

You mostly need two points A and B (preferably 140m away to get the best precision) where a given pokemon appear/disappear in the sighting windows. The pokemon is at the* point 100m of both A and B.

When you get one point, it's easy to get the other, you just have to stay at the limit of detection.

* There's obviously 2 of those, but while searching for the second point, you easily know which side of (AB) is the pokemon.

Yeah this. Yesterday I was able to catch many Pokemons by using this method, it works really well. The sighting list updates every 10 seconds or so, so knowing that it´s easy to locate the border of the detection area of a Pokemon and find out the direction to go, though buildings and such can complicate things a bit.

Awayze

Neo Member
If I'm using a tracking app with a Google account different to one used in PoGo, I'm going to be banned because the IPs are the same? How would this work in a university environment with 1000's connected to the same wifi and some people are using tracking apps.
Im going to stick with pokenearby just in case.

are the chances of getting each pokemon from egg different? or is it equal chance to get any?
i say this cos my 2k eggs has been pidgey the last 3 times, thought maybe the chance of pidgey is higher than say, pikachu.

If I'm using a tracking app with a Google account different to one used in PoGo, I'm going to be banned because the IPs are the same? How would this work in a university environment with 1000's connected to the same wifi and some people are using tracking apps.
Im going to stick with pokenearby just in case.

Looking at the pokemongodev reddit, someone mentioned the threshold for their IP not getting softbanned was running less than 50 active bots, so... I think you'll be fine. xD

jelmerjt

My Haunter IS level 21 right?

J0BLzUw.png

u4LecXe.jpg

If it is, I can't wait to evolve this Haunter into Gengar. Awesome Pokemon, even though it probably sucks a bit in this game :p

imJyMMG.jpg

GulAtiCa

They really need to introduce Pokemon Centers. Really hard to do gyms when you have nearly no potions. Hell, I have over 450 items, and yet have like less then 10 potion types.. lol

They really need to introduce Pokemon Centers. Really hard to do gyms when you have nearly no potions. Hell, I have over 450 items, and yet have like less then 10 potion types.. lol

I wish I could gift mine to you. I never do gyms so all my revives/potions just sit there doing nothing. I toss 90% of them.
Though I do understand - it'd be great if you could have a once-a-day pokecenter at a pokestop to heal up.

GulAtiCa

Fee-paying Pokémon centers, a nightmare that comes true.
At least it might be an option. Right now if you are out of potions, you are fucked. Can't even buy them.. lol

Though I much gladly prefer a system where each pokemon center could only heal all your pokemon like once every 24 hours, or maybe better every hour.

I wish I could gift mine to you. I never do gyms so all my revives/potions just sit there doing nothing. I toss 90% of them.
Though I do understand - it'd be great if you could have a once-a-day pokecenter at a pokestop to heal up.

I wish you could trade with people. I'd gladly trade all my damn pokeballs away (since I refill them easily) for potions! Heck, let me do exchanges with the server..

Pachimari

I think I have 70+ Pokemon ready to evolve now.

A Pinsir, Jolteon and Pinsir also turned up on my radar today but I didn't find them. I couldn't hunt for them either as I were helping my mother grocery shopping.

I wish gyms become pokemon centers for your team after a certain level (like 5 or 6) since it is really hard to gain prestige it would motivate the leveling of a gym and team participation. it's a reward for doing that. it would also motivate another team to constantly try to take them down so there are no free heals and it's pretty easy to take down prestige. free heals won't come easy without teamwork.

Zafir

Mean while I keep on having to discard potions because I just don't use them at all, while I go through pokeballs like candy due to not living near a lot of pokestops. xD

This game's got me running at least two miles at lunch every day to hatch dem eggs since this came out. :S

Anyway, here's my current top 12 now that I had enough Machop candies from an egg this afternoon! Level 23 btw.

28787208792_8b105d38f2_z.jpg

Just found a weezing outside and evolved my ekans into an Arbok

Went full team rocket today

(Glad too as I only have two koffing so would have been a while before I evolved that)

Oxx

I was hoping for a 10k egg or two so that I could align everything for a big lucky egg binge, but I have ended-up with 9 5k eggs.

ChrisW

Had a gengar pop up on my nearby list in no.1 spot, I was in car with g/f and we were late so couldn't search for it :'( bad times

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Aerodactyl silhouette during work hour. I need to stop opening the app when I can't go outside.

zulux21

I wish gyms become pokemon centers for your team after a certain level (like 5 or 6) since it is really hard to gain prestige it would motivate the leveling of a gym and team participation. it's a reward for doing that. it would also motivate another team to constantly try to take them down so there are no free heals and it's pretty easy to take down prestige. free heals won't come easy without teamwork.

it is indeed a pain to gain prestige.

I don't both with gyms that are my color at all.

in fact it sounds more fun to make a second account to tare down gyms of my color in order to make it so my main account can just start anew in the gym then it does to build it up to fit my guy in, especially since I would need to raise it two levels to let my wife in as well.

Here is everything I've gotten from 10k eggs so far. I get them pretty often, but most of them are poop. Worst to best, imo.

Eevee x2
Onix
Pinsir x3
Magmar x3
Electabuzz x2
Hitmonchan
Jynx x3
Kabuto
Dratini
Aerodactyl
Snorlax

BowieZ

Banned
How are you guys getting so many 10k eggs? lol

I've had 4 from 174 eggs. If I recall correctly, 2 pinsirs a scyther and an eevee ffs.

Yrael

lol sorry man... how many eggs have you hatched?

I'm up to 51 eggs collected so far, which isn't really too high a number comparatively (I'm resisting the urge to spend more money on incubators!). They've mostly been 5 km with the odd 2 km thrown into the mix.

The game is really cheap about stardust especially. Selling a pokemon should give you some, earning medals should, fighting gyms should.

fighting gyms by far should be the way you gain stardust...I mean you're fighting that should be a way to gain xp for that pokemon so it can go up a level...since start dust is the way to do that, you should earn stardust

L Thammy

I think the biggest way to get Stardust is Pokestops. It seems like gyms are supposed to get you a lot because you get like 500 from a 1 Pokemon defender bonus. But in practice you'll never get more than a 1 Pokemon defender bonus, and that's capped to one per day, so it's not that great.

Do you guys expect more region exclusives in future gens?

NA: Stantler
EU: Smeargle
Asia: Dunsparce
AU: Gligar?

Bidoof needs to be Canada exclusive. Seriously, I've seen at least three urban beavers (two adults and one baby) since this game came out.

Dinjooh

Do you guys expect more region exclusives in future gens?

NA: Stantler
EU: Smeargle
Asia: Dunsparce
AU: Gligar?

I'm assuming those are pokemans?

And if they implement trading, then yea - I hope they will do more region exclusives. Would make for a nice incentive to meet up with people from all over the world.

Is there something like an stardust and candy calculator?
I caught an almost perfect Eevee, but its at 79CP and I want to know how much stardust and candy I had to invest to max it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom