• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
How is it inaccurate

It guesses your trainer level based on the information you give it, but it could be out by three or four levels and so the data it returns is completely meaningless.

The Silph Road knows exactly what level your Pokémon is and so, as I understand it, gives the same information as you'd get from the apps that pull IVs from the game. Someone else would have to verify, though.

Oh, I know I was just being silly. :p

My first time ever seeing one anywhere near here! (even in gyms)

eSGMgeF.jpg

CP kinda low, but eh, glad to finally find one.

It's probably been asked before, but what are the best places to use incenses? I feel like I used one today in the least optimal area. My first one was only slightly better, and I still have 3 more to burn.

I won't be buying these things, but I still want to get the most out of them.

I am very happy after catching a wild Rhyhorn, because Ground/Rock types are super rare in my area. I've been seeing a few Vulpix and Growlithes, but I have no idea where the hell Charmander is. Squirtles are everywhere, and I saw a Bulbasaur silhouette in one of my parks.

The game is fun right now, but my activity will slow down once I get around level 20. I'm level 18.5, and I have actually held down a few gyms. It will be even easier, so that will help towards getting incubators/lucky eggs.

the best place to use it them are when you are bound to walk around a lot...like when you are farming Pokéstops for items. also try to do it when you are popping a lucky egg and you have many pidgey to mass evolve and several eggs incubating while they are close to hatching. believe me, if you do this and plan ahead you will gain a great amount of xp in an efficient manner

c-murph

Look, not saying you're a liar, but your either mistaken or something weird it's going on with your game.

I've hatched a lot of eggs,

13925250_10155110118763989_1031742663580342814_n.jpg

Two of my friends have hatched over 500 as well. So that's about 1500 eggs that I personally know first hand that have hatched. We've never hatched anything odd like Pokemon that aren't from different egg groups, and we've never hatched region locked. It just doesn't happen. We live in Los Angeles btw

Geezus. What's your Km counter at?

adamy

Banned
It guesses your trainer level based on the information you give it, but it could be out by three or four levels and so the data it returns is completely meaningless.

huh? data is not completely meaningless at all. you just need to sometimes use the refine feature.

the higher CP the pokemon is, the less possible IVs it suggests as there are less possible variations.

at level 28 i can get the IV correct for a pokemon with high CP after 1 or 2 refines.

the data it returns might seem meaningless though if you try to check the IV of a very low CP pokemon, as it will return a shit load of data. if you use the refine function you can still get the correct IV tho.

Ran to my local park today which is apparently a Pikachu nest.

28958990785_30ab8f33bd_z.jpg

28958993565_c9eed0a45b_z.jpg

28958992045_271d6f0803_z.jpg

Jogged all over and grabbed 17 of them all in all before calling it a day. ^^

47oQR.gif

On another note, I think the game wants me to be a Scyther master as my last two 10k eggs have hatched it. :(

jariw

I did, the Pokémon is not there.

Android mobile? Was it a 5 km egg?

There's a bug where Grimer will cause some Android models to crash.

I encountered it today when I was out walking and we came to an area where there was a Grimer. Two Android users got consistent crashes in the area, while the three iPhone users were able to catch the Grimer.

huh? data is not completely meaningless at all. you just need to sometimes use the refine feature.

the higher CP the pokemon is, the less possible IVs it suggests as there are less possible variations.

at level 28 i can get the IV correct for a pokemon with high CP after 1 or 2 refines.

the data it returns might seem meaningless though if you try to check the IV of a very low CP pokemon, as it will return a shit load of data. if you use the refine function you can still get the correct IV tho.

You're refining and refining so the site can try to work out what level you are. If you use The Silph Road, you can just tell it to begin with.

adamy

Banned
You're refining and refining so the site can try to work out what level you are. If you use The Silph Road, you can just tell it to begin with.

how? i'm using it right now and it is giving me 4 possible pokemon levels

try for yourself

Weedle
cp 227
hp 53
power up 2500 dust and 2 candy

unless i'm doing something wrong, both sites require refining

how? i'm using it right now and it is giving me 4 possible pokemon levels

try for yourself

Weedle
cp 227
hp 53
power up 2500 dust and 2 candy

unless i'm doing something wrong, both sites require refining

I'd need a screenshot of your Pokémon and your trainer level for TSR.

WedgeX

Banned
after my disappointments from my 10k eggs I decided to finally get a venasaur... I spent the last 4 hours farming bulbasaurs and finally got to evolve my egg hatched one that has a pretty good iv...

Screenshot_20160813_102649.png

the icing on the cake was that he has his best moveset

Now tear your way through all those water held gyms!

dat 1410 poke coins ;_;

I've got 160 and cash out with 1 gym every time. said gym is lost after like an hour

edit: haven't spent any real money yet

there are multiple spots on the bar that match the exact information i provided

check for yourself

as a result, there is no one "right place"

There is a right place, you just have to know where it is.

I make it 22/30 for atk/def, and 10/15 for stm.

For the same info, PokeAssistant gives you however many options of which that is one, but TSR requires no candy/stardust to find out.

jelmerjt

Took me 15 minutes to find that nearby Gastly. I fed the thing a Razz Berry, threw an Ultra Ball, it broke out of the ball and fled right after. I'm level 24, I need way too much XP... And now this crap?

Vipu

Banned
Took me 15 minutes to find that nearby Gastly. I fed the thing a Razz Berry, threw an Ultra Ball, it broke out of the ball and fled right after. I'm level 24, I need way too much XP... And now this crap?

Gastlys are slippery annoying things so there is that.

piggychan

I did, the Pokémon is not there.

I have had this problem too and I one of those was a 10k egg. I think this was when I was incubating several 5k's and one 10k and were about to hatch around the same time. I didn't get any hatching animation and neither could I see any new pokemon in my inventory. Plus I lost another egg a few days ago to a similar incident.

adamy

Banned
There is a right place, you just have to know where it is.

I make it 22/30 for atk/def, and 10/15 for stm.

For the same info, PokeAssistant gives you however many options of which that is one, but TSR requires no candy/stardust to find out.

what did you set the CP slider at?

also what does 22/30 for atk/def mean? the game data doesn't combine atk/def, they assign an individual number out of 15 to each

22/30 for atk/def means nothing. it could mean your attack is anything from 7 to 15, same for defense

you need to be able to provide the exact value for atk, def, and stamina

saying 22/30 for atk/def is providing a huge range

edit: just to clarify, the info you provided produces many possible IV combinations...if i refine i can get the exact values for all 3 IVs

what did you set the CP slider at?

also what does 22/30 for atk/def mean? the game data doesn't combine atk/def, they assign an individual number out of 15 to each

22/30 for atk/def means nothing. it could mean your attack is anything from 7 to 15, same for defense

you need to be able to provide the exact value for atk, def, and stamina

saying 22/30 for atk/def is providing a huge range

edit: just to clarify, the info you provided produces many possible IV combinations...if i refine i can get the exact values for all 3 IVs

22/30 means your Pokémon is basically junk, I guess is what I was saying. It doesn't matter where the numbers are.

Wish I knew a place to farm Bulbas :T one away from an Ivy finally. Also saw a wild Ivy last night found him used berry/ultra 2 times no go. On my third it was another berry/ultra and got a Great hit and nothing. Then he ran, he is ons of my favorite Pokemon and I think this game knows it lol. One day....

Also my 3rd 10K egg was yet another Eevee.....3/3 lol

England/ London? if so, Holland Park can get you a Veno- in a day's play.

Bummer. Are Ghastly's rare near you?

the nearby site from here is so good

and if i press on the pokemon i can view him in google maps where he is exactly.

You and your Maid Waifu avatar

Dat Palutena <3

adamy

Banned
22/30 means your Pokémon is basically junk, I guess is what I was saying. It doesn't matter where the numbers are.

but that's completely besides the point (its a weedle man...i didn't need TSR to tell me it's junk hah)

we were talking about how TSR compares to other IV calculators

you stated:

The Silph Road knows exactly what level your Pokémon is and so, as I understand it, gives the same information as you'd get from the apps that pull IVs from the game.

but this is completely untrue. TSR is unable to tell exactly what level your Pokemon is (for the weedle it gave a range of 4), and TSR is no where close to the apps that pull the IVs from the game

both pokeassistant and TSR provide a range of possible IVs. with pokeassistant you can get the exact IV through refining (i'd imagine you could do the same with TSR)

the apps, on the other hand, give you the exact IVs with 0 need to refine

Now tear your way through all those water held gyms!

yeah I specifically wanted him for all the vaporeon... I built up two pretty good vapes to fight all the damn arcanines, and I'm leveling my slowbro to fight dragonite...I'm gonna farm machop next to counter all the 3000 cp snorlaxes

but this is completely untrue. TSR is unable to tell exactly what level your Pokemon is (for the weedle it gave a range of 4)

You tell it what level you are, that's what the arc is for. If you can't work out the correct place on it, fair enough, but it'll give you the correct information if you give it the correct data first.

adamy

Banned
You tell it what level you are, that's what the arc is for. If you can't work out the correct place on it, fair enough, but it'll give you the correct information if you give it the correct data first.

I think this is where you are confused. Pokemon level and trainer level are two very different things.

Also, keep in mind that you believe you did it correctly yet were only able to provide a range of IVs

HardRojo

the nearby site from here is so good

and if i press on the pokemon i can view him in google maps where he is exactly.
Tell me about it, I went out to buy some notebooks and stuff for university which starts on Monday, it's been an hour and I haven't bought shit yet, I keep finding something to catch lol.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
I think this is where you are confused. Pokemon level and trainer level are two very different things.

Also, keep in mind that you believe you did it correctly yet were only able to provide a range of IVs
I'm not going to quote everything, but I believe you are misunderstanding.

POKéMON level and Trainer level are different things, yes, but you know both of them ( Trainer level you can straight-up see, POKéMON level you can determine by matching up the CP arc in one of the apps that does that. ). In addition to that you know the CP and HP. Those four statistics you can nail down to their exact value without any outside help. You put those values into Silphroad and they can determine your exact Stamina IV and your exact combined ATK / DEF IV. There is currently no way known to separately calculate the exact ATK / DEF IV values. Silphroad does not require refining on your part as you can determine all of the needed values exactly and without the need to invest stardust / candies.

Also, just to mention this again; you are doing the 'refining' by powering up your POKéMON using dust and candy - which, aside from it not being feasible for a large number of players that simply do not get to have the luxury of tons of candies and stardust, is again completely unneeded because you can match up the CP bar to get the exact POKéMON level -, the site / app you are using does not do that.

We have no indication if the calculator that gives the 'ranges' with specific seperate ATK / DEF IVs bases those ranges on any actual data or if it is simply guesswork.

adamy

Banned
I'm not going to quote everything, but I believe you are misunderstanding.

POKéMON level and Trainer level are different things, yes, but you know both of them ( Trainer level you can straight-up see, POKéMON level you can determine by matching up the CP arc in one of the apps that does that. ). In addition to that you know the CP and HP. Those four statistics you can nail down to their exact value without any outside help. You put those values into Silphroad and they can determine your exact Stamina IV and your exact combined ATK / DEF IV. There is currently no way known to separately calculate the exact ATK / DEF IV values. Silphroad does not require refining on your part as you can determine all of the needed values exactly and without the need to invest stardust / candies.

Also, just to mention this again; you are doing the 'refining' by powering up your POKéMON using dust and candy - which, aside from it not being feasible for a large number of players that simply do not get to have the luxury of tons of candies and stardust, is again completely unneeded because you can match up the CP bar to get the exact POKéMON level -, the site / app you are using does not do that.

We have no indication if the calculator that gives the 'ranges' with specific seperate ATK / DEF IVs bases those ranges on any actual data or if it is simply guesswork.

Once again, the bolded part of your post is wrong.

There are sites and apps that pull in game API data and can provide exact atk/def IVs

He even acknowledges it, I think he was just under the impression that TSR can do it too, which it can't

He claimed TSR can provide the same results as apps that pull API data, which is just false

hirokazu

The Silph Road knows exactly what level your Pokémon is and so, as I understand it, gives the same information as you'd get from the apps that pull IVs from the game. Someone else would have to verify, though.
Nope, I tried Silph Road on my starter Charmander and the Stamina IV was wrong. The Attack + Defence was right, but ir would be much better breaking that down into individual stats.

I don't know how Silph Road's one narrows it down to one result when there's multiple possible combinations for a particular level. But I know it's wrong.

Pineconn

Nope, I tried Silph Road on my starter Charmander and the Stamina IV was wrong. The Attack + Defence was right, but ir would be much better breaking that down into individual stats.

I don't know how Silph Road's one narrows it down to one result when there's multiple possible combinations for a particular level. But I know it's wrong.

You entered something incorrectly, then. All you need to know for the stamina IV is the HP and Pokémon level. From there, it can calculate the combined attack and defense IVs (but not individually).

hirokazu

You entered something incorrectly, then. All you need to know for the stamina IV is the HP and Pokémon level. From there, it can calculate the combined attack and defense IVs (but not individually).
LOL what. The difference between levels on the CP bar is huge for lower levels. The level of the Charmander reported back by Silph Road is the same as what's reported back by the spreadsheet calculators. I've double checked this.

I went to different part of the country yesterday (live in London, visited Thanet) and the difference was crazy. Tons of Voltorbs and Magnemites, way less Ratatta, Pidgey etc and not a Drowzee in sight. Came across many that I've never seen in the wild London... Mr. Mime, Kabuto, Ponyta, Pinsir etc. Was a good day!

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Once again, the bolded part of your post is wrong.

There are sites and apps that pull in game API data and can provide exact atk/def IVs

He even acknowledges it, I think he was just under the impression that TSR can do it too, which it can't

He claimed TSR can provide the same results as apps that pull API data, which is just false
Yes, sites can pull from the API for exact stats on your POKéMON, but I believe most if not all of those sites have since been blocked from accessing the API, and we were talking about calculating from user input, not pulling from API. Aside from that, we're talking about https://pokeassistant.com/main/ivcalculator here, right? They don't seem to be pulling the data from anywhere. Perhaps it is based on data that was pulled from the API at some point, but then at the very least it seems very much incomplete, and without knowing for sure on what it is based, that makes it unreliable.

Do you have any detailed info on how exactly PA calculates things and where it pulls its data from? That would help me in understanding what exactly is going on / if it is indeed - as you say - more accurate than Silphroad.

Are you sure you put everything in correctly? I assume you are comparing to IVs pulled directly from the API, not ones you calculated elsewhere? Did you input the exact POKéMON level or did you eyeball the arc on Silphroad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom