• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamy

Banned
On cellphone, but someone just linked to one of the sites that still pull API data like an hour or so ago

Just click back like 1-2 pages

And no, we weren't solely talking about sites that rely on user entered info to calculate IV

He was comparing apps/sites that pull from API data to TSR, claiming TSR can do the same thing...which is false

zroid

Banned
YESSS I just caught a 1700CP Snorlax from my house! :D

IVs not amazing, but decently above average. Lick/Hyper Beam, so I'm happy.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
On cellphone, but someone just linked to one of the sites that still pull API data like an hour or so ago

Just click back like 1-2 pages

And no, we weren't solely talking about sites that rely on user entered info to calculate IV

He was comparing apps/sites that pull from API data to TSR, claiming TSR can do the same thing...which is false
So for you the discussion was / is purely about TSR not actually pulling the data form the API, and not the accuracy of Silphroad or other calculators? If so, I feel like there might have been some miscommunication in the discussion I jumped in on, as that started with the person you reacted to saying that PokeAssistant ( 'range' calculator ) was not accurate. I thought the discussion was about that, not about the existence of apps that access the API. Apologies if I was mistaken.

Related note; I don't feel like taking the risk and using third party apps that access the API anymore after Niantic has now finally started handing out bans. Even if it is not their intention, I do not want to be 'false-positive'ed', so I'll stick to calculators until they give the all clear on certain things ( which they likely won't ).

adamy

Banned
So for you the discussion was / is purely about TSR not actually pulling the data form the API, and not the accuracy of Silphroad or other calculators? If so, I feel like there might have been some miscommunication in the discussion I jumped in on, as that started with the person you reacted to saying that PokeAssistant ( 'range' calculator ) was not accurate. I thought the discussion was about that, not about the existence of apps that access the API. Apologies if I was mistaken.

Related note; I don't feel like taking the risk and using third party apps that access the API anymore after Niantic has now finally started handing out bans. Even if it is not their intention, I do not want to be 'false-positive'ed', so I'll stick to calculators until they give the all clear on certain things ( which they likely won't ).

I was addressing his claim that TSR, unlike other calculators, can provide the same results as apps/sites that pull API data

This is false, as shown by his inability to get atk/def IVs for the weedle I posted

As simple as that

Both TSR and PokeAssistant are great tools though imho

jts

...hate me...
Level 19
Walked 81km
Hatched 24 eggs
Pokedex: 75 (seen 76)

God damn that's a lot of kms, thinking about it. But boy am I glad. Just what I needed.

How do you do this?

it isn't obvious, but you touch the tiny feet graphic. Each is a link to your phones map, requesting a walking route from your current lat/long to the pokemon lat/long. i thought it wasn't in the spirit of "hunting" them but to be realistic, probably most players take the info if it is available at all.

adamy

Banned
So my bag is constantly full at 700 capacity, even with all potions and revives trashed...

Which do you think is best keeping: berries or regular balls? Been trashing regular balls and keeping berries but curious what others think is more valuable

Pachimari

Lol I used a lure at a PokeStop here in my bed, so now I'll just catch any Pokemon turning up for that xp. My phone will vibrate when a Pokemon turns up anyway.

For those that have hatched hundreds of eggs, are you spending a ton of cash on incubators or are going out to take gyms pretty much every single day?

Oh we're doing this?

Level: 22 (nearly 23, 93k/100k)
Km walked: 114.95
Eggs hatched: 73
Pokedex: 114

adamy

Banned
Got a 33 with a ludicrous 2.6k Snorlax sitting pretty in the Gym right outside my house, so I wouldn't be so sure...
What's ludicrous about a 2.6k snorlax...?

Level 28 and I got this guy, got several other beastly snorlax too

image.png

Lukemon

What's ludicrous about a 2.6k snorlax...?

Level 28 and I got this guy, got several other beastly snorlax too

image.png

Not ludicrous as in 'OMG cheating' - ludicrous as in it's so much better than everything else around here. 33 Trainer was the main point. Snorlax did so well out of Niantic's blatant disregard for the Speed stat.

Nice Snorlax, by the way!

taizuke

Would i get banned if i use a lucky egg and evolve a hundred pidgeys (that i caught) in order to level up quickly since Niantic is banning people that cheat? I'm just worried if Niantic can't tell if a person is cheating or not.

Has anyone tried this now with the whole banning thing?

Would i get banned if i use a lucky egg and evolve a hundred pidgeys (that i caught) in order to level up quickly since Niantic is banning people that cheat? I'm just worried if Niantic can't tell if a person is cheating or not.

lol, no, you'll be fine.

Though, the lucky egg will run out long before you get to 100. You won't get too far past 60 in 30 minutes.

Rellik

YOu're not getting banned for something you're legit allowed to do.

Plus it's easy to reverse a soft ban by spinning a pokestop multiple times.

Otheradam

I was at Central Park in NYC by the lure hot spot for most of the afternoon today. I choose a very bad day to do this as it felt like 110 degrees. A Lapras spawned 8 blocks from 59th and 5th ave and as soon as someone yelled "Lapras!" half the crowd got up and ran. It was the most exciting thing. All these people and tourist didn't know what was going on! It was a long run, but I caught him. I wish Niantic would let the trackers be, I had the most fun biking around to catch things before they despawned when Pokevision was still working.

How is this cheating?

john tv

Feels like they need to overhaul the gym system. In populated areas it's almost impossible to keep a gym for more than 12 hours. People should be limited to attacking a certain gym once per hour or something, otherwise it's so easy to cheese your way to taking over a gym. :/

Anyway, current stats (as of July 22 - we got it late):

Level: 22
km walked: 72.49
Eggs hatched: 49
Pokédex: 85/86

zroid

Banned
Feels like they need to overhaul the gym system. In populated areas it's almost impossible to keep a gym for more than 12 hours. People should be limited to attacking a certain gym once per hour or something, otherwise it's so easy to cheese your way to taking over a gym. :/

If I can claim a spot in 2 gyms at a time, I'll usually just bank the reward immediately. Even if I try to go for a 3rd right away, it's kind of risky.

I can't even keep a Gym for 15 minutes. I feel like the only member of Instinct in a tri-county area.

Anyway, current stats (as of July 22 - we got it late):

Level: 22
km walked: 72.49
Eggs hatched: 49
Pokédex: 85/86
Totally agree

If I can claim a spot in 2 gyms at a time, I'll usually just bank the reward immediately. Even if I try to go for a 3rd right away, it's kind of risky.

Yeah the most I've ever claimed is 3.

Don't know how anyone can hold 10, beyond driving around at 3am taking them.

robochimp

Our zoo does a weekend every year where you can camp at the zoo overnight, my son and I went last night. The zoo has 30+ pokestops, 4 gyms, and nests for magikarp, psyduck, staryu, poliwag and goldeen.

I didn't sleep very well and everytime I was up the gym near the camp sites had changed hands. Now I have a bunch of hydro pump golduck, a couple of Seaking, and I'm close to a Poliwrath and a Gyarados.

Ruff

Feels good when the ban wave hits and all the lvl 30+ Gymdefenders in my area with 3000+ 'nites and Snorlaxes vanish over night. Highest I've seen is 20 all day.

zroid

Banned
I can't even keep a Gym for 15 minutes. I feel like the only member of Instinct in a tri-county area.

Part of what makes the system kind of broken IMO is that unless I find an Instinct gym with an open spot, it takes a hell of a lot longer to build up prestige than to find a different team's gym which isn't as well protected and just clean house.

So I'm either taking a longer amount of time to get a marginally more secure spot in a gym, or more quickly claiming multiple gyms on my own, which don't last more than 10-15 minutes.

Seems like the only way to really play the gym game properly is to travel in groups with other people on your team.

edit: maybe one of these days I'll just drive around late at night and try to get as many gyms as I can

john tv

I don't understand - are you saying if you get more than one gym at a time, you get a reward immediately? (Never tried getting more than one myself so I honestly dunno how it works.)

Toki767

My stats:

Level: 25 (50K away to 26)
km walked: 241.53
Eggs hatched: 134
Pokedex: 124 caught, 125 seen
Most caught pokemon: Magikarp at 369

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I don't understand - are you saying if you get more than one gym at a time, you get an award immediately? (Never tried getting more than one myself so I honestly dunno how it works.)
the reward you get on the shop changes according to how many gyms you are occupying the moment you claim it

I believe the max is 5k dust + 100 coins for defending 10 gyms

john tv

the reward you get on the shop changes according to how many gyms you are occupying the moment you claim it

I believe the max is 5k dust + 100 coins for defending 10 gyms
Ohh, gotcha. Thanks for clarifying.

Still, you gotta hold a gym for like 20 hours to even get a reward, right?

robochimp

I don't understand - are you saying if you get more than one gym at a time, you get an award immediately? (Never tried getting more than one myself so I honestly dunno how it works.)

You claim the gym reward after taking the second gym(or however many you want to take), which then starts reward timer.

BowieZ

Banned
L.O.R.D. you didn't respond to our request that you provide proof you hatched the region exclusives.

As I asked before, can you please screenshot and post your 4 pokedex entries that say "caught 1 seen 1" and also each stat screen showing the 10+ candy you would have received?

Thanks!

Hycran

Banned
Ohh, gotcha. Thanks for clarifying.

Still, you gotta hold a gym for like 20 hours to even get a reward, right?

As soon as you put a guy into a gym, as long as your claim timer is up, you can get the rewards. So if you throw 1 guy in, you can immediately cash out 1 and start the timer, or you can start going for multiple gyms, but once you claim, thats when the waiting begins

Your claim timer resets for 21 hours. That means that in the 21 hours before you can claim a defender bonus again, your current gym occupiers are subject to getting booted out. You'll slowly see them finding their way with 1hp to your inventory. If they do happen to stick around for 21 hours, which is rare, you'll be able to claim them right away. Or, if say, 5 are still in their gyms, you can go and try to claim 5 more for the max 10 bonus. My experience is that they tend to all die, so don't expect them to stick around unless they are in a level 10 gym.

Protip: When your gym defenders come back with 1hp, take them to an opposing team gym and let them kill your guy, this will allow you to use a revive (which are plentiful) to bring it back to half health, rather than using potions (which are less plentiful) to heal more than necessary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom