• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fuck yes.

She's beautiful.

Also, hunting this I noticed they fixed the left to right tracker reversal, nice.

This game just puts me in such a good fucking mood sometimes. The world is my cloyster.

*He

I'm curious about the appeal of multiple bag upgrades- I bought one, but isn't getting low on supplies and making a trip to a Hotspot to refill kinda part of the game?

It's like the most useful one, you'll never run low on balls/potions/revives with an upgraded bag.

Koren

I mean it wouldn't be impossible for them to log what IP their servers are getting pinged from and just ban all accounts that access their game from that IP if they really wanted (if they detected something like a scanner running from it). They wouldn't because that would likely mass ban a lot of people who play from coffee shops or other places and likely kill the game, just saying if they really wanted to they likely could.
I'd think that most browser-based scanners connect themselves to the server, and don't run software on your phone that connect to the server. The IP Niantic will see would be the server's. So they could ban the scanner, but not the ones using it.

Granted, they could compare geo data sent by the scanner and geo data from pokemon go app, but that's a lot of work, and error-prone (they can't be sure that they have the good match).

Beside, I don't think they can do IP bans. I'd say most phones use dynamic IPs, and while providers keep IP / customer association tables in case the police need to know who used a given IP at a given time, but Niantic can't. That being said, they can detect the accounts that use the IP at a given time, so that's not a big hurdle to overcome.

zulux21

Beside, I don't think they can do IP bans. I'd say most phones use dynamic IPs, and while providers keep IP / customer association tables in case the police need to know who used a given IP at a given time, but Niantic can't. That being said, they can detect the accounts that use the IP at a given time, so that's not a big hurdle to overcome.
yeah the second half.
ban an account that used an IP during a given time, not ban the IP itself.
it's not all that hard to change your IP, but if it is a hard ban on the account that would be hard to undo.

again it's not a real discussion point anyways. if they ever went that far I would imagine they would just go all the way and ban every single account in the game and leave a message saying something along the lines of.
"Sucks to be you, you wasted all that time for nothing, FUCK OFF LOSER!!!!"

as it would be pretty much equivalent to doing bans like that for their PR :p

I was using this over the weekend, was accurate about 80% of the time, but didnt tell me about thr nearby Scyther or Blastoise and gave me about 3 minutes to get to a Lapras (which i didnt get)

PM me a lat long if you think it is missing something, last time I checked the grid of locations it checked around you seems optimal but if you have a location you think it missed something I can check into it.

Pokemon Nearby doesn't update the direction as you move. Pidgey in NW was actually increasing in distance as I walked northwest - refreshed page and then the same Pidgey was in S. Caught it at the last minute remaining..

The geolocation relies on your phone browser only, it works for me with IOS, but maybe some phones or browsers cease sending the page updates after 30 seconds or something. I could change it to try refreshing a location request every minute instead of just hoping the phone browser won't crap out.

JDdelphin

First bulbasaur seen ever (apart from training mode)
Go to grab it- don't want to miss the opportunity even though its a 334cp regular little bulbasaur, I don't have one.

Razz berry given, ultra ball chosen, 'Great!' on the throw-

Bulbasaur busts out and runs away.

Fuuuuuuuuuck this stupid stupid stupid game.

Cynn

If you guys need Growlithes come to Vegas. I'm here on a business trip and they are everywhere. Makes Gyms really easy coming from North Georgia. (Vaporean-land)

I also snagged an Oynx, Hitmonchan and Machop. All new to my dex.

Go to grab it- don't want to miss the opportunity even though its a 334cp regular little bulbasaur, I don't have one.

Heh, I had this happen with the only Onix I've ever seen (except on Nearby), except it took five Ultra Balls and berries for it to run. Feels bad man.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
got a Charmander behind my house, rarest starter in my area. feels good to have all three, for whatever it's worth.

Not close to getting Venusaur yet, but I think I'll be okay with this newly evolved near perfect IV Victreebel's moveset. :)

28978051986_0973a960aa_z.jpg

Jarsonot

Went to some forest preserves this last weekend and put a Pokémon in 2 gyms there. I've cashed out 4 times and they're still there.

So now I'm really interested in out-of-the-way gyms. I figure when winter comes around not many people will be hiking out there (will probably be less active players in general, too).

I just wish I had some mystic friends I could get out there to beef them up a bit. =)

Koren

The geolocation relies on your phone browser only, it works for me with IOS, but maybe some phones or browsers cease sending the page updates after 30 seconds or something. I could change it to try refreshing a location request every minute instead of just hoping the phone browser won't crap out.
It's not a matter of refresh, and I may have experienced the same issue (although I've not used it a lot, just out of curiosity, and unreliable GPS makes things sometimes strange).

Imagine that you have a pokemon at distance 3 on the east, and you walk east.

You'll see :
East, distance 3
East, distance 2
East, distance 1
(you pass over the pokemon)
East, distance 1
East, distance 2...

The distance is refreshed correctly, but the direction seems "stuck". The direction is updated only if you refresh the page.

I thought that was me, but since I'm not alone, I'll do some test soon.

Still, it's a nice application (the radar, too). I'd like to know why the pokemons around in those are sometimes completely different from the "sightings" in Pokemon Go.

Vipu

Banned
Went to some forest preserves this last weekend and put a Pokémon in 2 gyms there. I've cashed out 4 times and they're still there.

So now I'm really interested in out-of-the-way gyms. I figure when winter comes around not many people will be hiking out there (will probably be less active players in general, too).

I just wish I had some mystic friends I could get out there to beef them up a bit. =)

This is what I have planned to do too but I havent found any gyms in some random places.
It would be nice to find 10 of those and just get free 100 coins every 21h and not care about gym battling for coins.

PM me a lat long if you think it is missing something, last time I checked the grid of locations it checked around you seems optimal but if you have a location you think it missed something I can check into it.

I can confirm that it takes a while to show up on nearby after i've already seen it on sighting in-game.

Its frustrating... Lost an electrode and a ponyta today that way. It takes a bit to show up and when it does theres.not enough time to get to the pkm. It's still an amazing tool tho.

On other news, great day for new pkm.

Seel, machop, charmander, rhyhorn, dratiny, voltorb, hypno, magnemite, kadabra...

Best new catch was a Rapidash tho.

GulAtiCa

Hatched a Chansey today! Holy hell at it's huge HP. Holy hell at it's CP. lol.

I'm curious to try it out in boosting up Gyms. It CP is so low and HP so high it might be able to tank it, and destroy the 1st Pokemon.

MANUELF

Banned
Just caught a Snorlax a block away from my house its CP is pretty low but is way better than my other Snorlax in both CP and IVs

Lukemon

Got home from work to find our level ten Gym outside my house had been razed and the new one had a 3k Dragonite sat on top, behind two beefy Snorlax. The horror. Dragonite in general is rare around here - not even seen a Dratini since The Great Migration a few weeks back and this is only the second 'nite I've seen in a Gym.

Still, was surprised by how easy it was to get rid - once it was just the Dragonite left, a 1600 Hypno basically solo'd it, save the last 10% or so which was easy to mop up. Moral: don't be scared of high CP stuff in Gyms if you're even vaguely decent at dodging and aren't gonna get hit for weakness.

Koh

Did nests swap again?

Yesterday I traveled out to a bulbasaur nest to find it full of voltorbs. Not a single bulbasaur to be found when there used to be 5 or 6 an hour.

Alright, I'm minutes away from doing a lucky egg mass evolution. I didn't count how many scrubs I have but I have 13 actual evolution I want to do. current XP, 270001 (level 21)

Did nests swap again?

Yesterday I traveled out to a bulbasaur nest to find it full of voltorbs. Not a single bulbasaur to be found when there used to be 5 or 6 an hour.

not that I know of...this morning I went to a slow poke nest that still was a slow poke nest...

current top 12

Screenshot_20160815_184739.png

I'm hoping to level up my wigglytuff to be somewhere in there

It's not a matter of refresh, and I may have experienced the same issue (although I've not used it a lot, just out of curiosity, and unreliable GPS makes things sometimes strange).

Imagine that you have a pokemon at distance 3 on the east, and you walk east.

You'll see :
East, distance 3
East, distance 2
East, distance 1
(you pass over the pokemon)
East, distance 1
East, distance 2...

The distance is refreshed correctly, but the direction seems "stuck". The direction is updated only if you refresh the page.

I thought that was me, but since I'm not alone, I'll do some test soon.

Still, it's a nice application (the radar, too). I'd like to know why the pokemons around in those are sometimes completely different from the "sightings" in Pokemon Go.

Ah ha!!!
Now I see what you're saying and you're right of course.

Ok try now.

QcynHbC.png

the compass now spins (treat it like up is North, not up is the "direction you are walking").

Alright, I'm minutes away from doing a lucky egg mass evolution. I didn't count how many scrubs I have but I have 13 actual evolution I want to do. current XP, 270001 (level 21)

alright, time's up. I ran out of candies with like 8 min to go and found myself frantically transferring scrubs to get candy for some final evolutions. currently 320001 so I had a little under 50 evolutions (I had a few new pokedex entries in there, wasn't counting though). S'ok

deanote666

I had a 1500 CP charizard run from me earlier. Now my pokedex will be forever uneven as I've never seen a charmander since choosing a starter.

hirokazu

I sometimes have stuff showing up in Sightings but not in the pokemonnearby.io as well. It could simply be the location sent to the server being off.

Anyway, is it possible for the link when you tap the footsteps to just show the location of the Pokémon rather than directions? I find that loading directions is slower to load in Apple Maps and most of the time, the stuff nearby don't really need directions.

Thanks!

I sometimes have stuff showing up in Sightings but not in the pokemonnearby.io as well. It could simply be the location sent to the server being off.

Anyway, is it possible for the link when you tap the footsteps to just show the location of the Pokémon rather than directions? I find that loading directions is slower to load in Apple Maps and most of the time, the stuff nearby don't really need directions.

Thanks!

I'm still checking into how many requests "around you" don't get fulfilled, and improving that. I keep thinking I found the last issue, then new ones pop up. The most recent fix was literally 4 hours ago. It may be that. If you get less than "normal" amount of sightings it is possible some of the position checks didn't get replies.

Regarding the link to a route I guess that makes sense, the maps do take a while to get back a routing reply. If its just a pin, you can always get a route anyway.

krae_man

Had a good day today. Found a slowpoke nest and got enough candy for a Slowbro, found a Kadabra, got enough candy for a Beedrill, and hatched an Onyx.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Which one do you own?

I'm thinking of getting one for my Android but I don't want to spend a lot
I got a Sony CP-V10 10,000mAh here. I can't recommend it yet since I haven't used it though. I borrowed it today from a friend that has some packs still in the box, it was kind of an emergency due to how much I've been playing haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom