• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skrams

Finally had enough pidgeys, weedles, ratatas, and other garbage caught that I evolved everything with a lucky egg active. I went from Level 16 to 20. Also hatched 4 eggs at the time and evolved some stuff I had been holding off for new pokedex entries. A good chunk of experience at least. Practically always running out of room for items now though. So many potions, revives, balls, and everything.

70 Caught, 73 Seen

I'd like a lapras or some 2000+ creature by this point though. All I got is this boring 1000+ vaporeon.

Growlie19

Just had a successful walk this evening. I built up a nearby Instinct gym to level 6 and placed my Slowbro in the empty slot. But on my way back, a Bulbasaur silhouette appeared on my radar! I was able to track it down and catch it, though it ate through 9 total Ultra Balls. Still worth the effort to grab the last of the starters. Bulbasaur now makes 85 dex entries, both seen and caught.

GulAtiCa

While doing my run tonight, it started raining and thundering outside. So I ducked into a restroom on the trail way. Was kinda stuck there for 30 minutes. But, right next to it are 2 Pokestops! So I decided to put on 2 Lures and another Incense. Nothing too exciting, but did get some nice uncommons. Esp a Nidoran Female, which allowed me to now evolve all the way! Well, it would if I didn't accidentally powered it up once. Oh well, 1 more to go!

On my way home I finally found a Charmander!!! My 1st one (besides the 1 I got when I started the game). But damn thing ran away. There is a bright side though, found another Squirtle while trying to get that Charmander.

CqL1Lp9WIAAEUtd.jpg:large

Quazar

Add me to the cool group of catching a wild Snorlax. Traffic can be a blessing these days O_O. 1107 isn't to shabby either.

The feeling when you throw four great balls and berries at a 95 CP Gastly because you just want the candies to eventually get a Gengar, and it RUNS AWAY.

The feeling when you see a Shellder at a lured pokestop, that you only want for the candies, but you can't actually tap on before passing it by because of the stupid pokestop and a weedle that happens to be right underneath it.

unrealist

It's amazing how this game can attract non gamers, the female audience and even those who have never touched a Pokemon game before..

The game can also be as deep as you want it to be (like IVs, move sets etc, granted it could be much better). A lot of my female friends just play for the collection part, without care for IVs .. They just evolve whatever the highest CP is.

GulAtiCa

Cheating and Bans
http://pokemongolive.com/en/post/cheating-bans/

Trainers,

After reviewing many reports of in-game cheating, we have started taking action against players taking unfair advantage of and abusing Pokémon GO. Moving forward, we will continue to terminate accounts that show clear signs of cheating.

Our main priority with Pokémon GO is to provide a fair, fun, and legitimate game experience for all players. If our system has determined that you cheated, then you will receive an email stating that your account has been terminated.

If you do believe your account has been terminated incorrectly, you should report it to the Pokémon GO Help Center:

https://support.pokemongo.nianticlabs.com/hc/requests/new?ticket_form_id=233187

Good!

Not

Banned
There's a huge wildfire near where I live, so the air quality is awful. Can't play Pokémon Go. :(

Meanwhile, to the north, people's literal homes are being destroyed

hirokazu

The game can also be as deep as you want it to be (like IVs, move sets etc, granted it could be much better).
Not really. Compared to the main Pokémon games, it's like a wading pool.

The main games have a lot of complexity behind the scenes to ensure that virtually every Pokémon is unique. Things like IVs and EVs contribute to that, and are partially obscured from view to hide that complexity. Unless you're a hardcore breeder or competitive battler, it's not something you really need to bother with.

The stats in Pokémon Go, though, seem really simple. There's not all that much uniqueness - Pokémon obtain moves randomly from a small selection, everyone catching the same spawn will get the exact same Pokémon but at different levels (and 100% identical if their trainer level is the same).

It feels like the exact opposite of the main games, in that the IVs are obscured to hide the fact the stats are ridiculously simple, rather than to hide complexity. The extra layer of obfuscation of the arbitrary CP score is only to hide that fact, I think.

Once you get to about level 25-30, you also start to run out of things to do if you don't begin looking into IVs, unlike the main games where you don't need to ever think about them.

400CP Volpex just fresh spawns on my screen.
I throw an Ultra with Berry and landed it with a small circle.
Breaks free.
Gave it another berry and curve ball with a great ball in a small circle.
Breaks free and poofs.
Fuck you, Niantic.

adamy

Banned
I half-wish I didn't know/care about IVs with how much of a hassle it is to check.

As others mentioned, not much else to do end game

If there were no IVs I'd probably stop playing

Already caught pretty much everything possible in SoCal

Windforce

I'm level 20 and the game is much harder now, the pokemon are coming with more CP, even the super common ones like Zubat and Pidgey will sometimes have 300 CP, so the normal pokeballs feel kinda weak.

Most fights I need to throw many times, hit with curveball, to improve my catch chances... trying to save great and ultra balls for the rarer mons.

Anyone else feeling this too? I can only imagine how hard it will be to catch stuff once I'm level 30, unless great and ultra balls become way more common to drop.

zroid

Banned
Is there any point to levels if I don't care about battling? I just want to fill out my pokedex.

not really, but buying incubators is pretty essential for filling out the Pokédex. you could use real money of course.

edit: I'm referring to battling not leveling, of course :p

GulAtiCa

Is there any point to levels if I don't care about battling? I just want to fill out my pokedex.

Well, they help unlock different ball types that can be used for better captures. Level 13 unlocks Great Balls & Level 20 unlocks Ultra Balls.

Plus, each level up gives you extra reward stuff, like more Balls and sometimes more Lures/Incense/Egg Incubators to help get more Pokemon!

Silvawuff

Nabbed this beauty today! I didn't realize it was a Gengar at first because from behind it looks like a morbidly obese Rattata.

bZgEYYP.png

Jay RaR

Went out of my way to catch a Staryu to get enough candies to get Starmie. I caught it and seconds later I hatched a Staryu lol. I hate it when that happens, prolly the 3rd or 4th time that happened to me.

Woot, Team Rocket complete!

8xj3sT7.jpg

Found Weezing last week.

Today was a good day, even if an Eevee hatched outta my 10km egg (it gave me 21 candies tho)

Also found a wild Lickitung. :)

Just ran down the street at midnight for a Snorlax. CP was ???, 2 ultra balls + berrys and he books it :(

Thankfully this would have been my second Snorlax. If it were my first I probably would have chucked my phone through someone's window.

Since my first random Vaporeon I've used the name trick successfully five times, making an equal amount of them. I guess it COULD be just luck, but...

border

Being able to see IVs in-game would be amazing and they could use that to familiarize new players to the concept.

I don't understand why the true value of a Pokemon has to be hidden and obfuscated from the player. It's just stupid.

I presume it's a holdover from the Gameboy/DS titles, but since this is for a broader audience I think they should have been way more transparent. At the absolute most, they should be making people choose between various stat values like STA/DEF/ATK/SPD....but to completely hide the number from anyone not using an entirely separate app is ridiculous.

krae_man

Well that was nice. Accidentally opened the app while grabbing my phone to check my email before I go to bed and a Tentacruel spawned in front of my apartment.

One more down:)

Toki767

Did they somehow nerf egg hatching distance calculations?

I've been walking for 5 minutes with the app on and the distance hasn't updated.

krae_man

Did they somehow nerf egg hatching distance calculations?

I've been walking for 5 minutes with the app on and the distance hasn't updated.

Mine updates like 1km at a time and it always ends up at 4.9km before it does another 1km jump and 0.9km just goes to waste.

pringles

Since my first random Vaporeon I've used the name trick successfully five times, making an equal amount of them. I guess it COULD be just luck, but...
By my count that's just 2 lucky accidents, which would be your 2nd Flareon and Jolteon. That's bound to happen for some.

I don't understand why the true value of a Pokemon has to be hidden and obfuscated from the player. It's just stupid.

I presume it's a holdover from the Gameboy/DS titles, but since this is for a broader audience I think they should have been way more transparent. At the absolute most, they should be making people choose between various stat values like STA/DEF/ATK/SPD....but to completely hide the number from anyone not using an entirely separate app is ridiculous.
No, they did the right thing simplifying everything into CP imo. The majority of players won't care about IVs and would just get confused/intimidated if you put too much of the complex stats into the game. It's really not that hard to guess the ballpark a pokemon's IVs are anyway. Just check CP, the level bar and stardust cost.

border

No, they did the right thing simplifying everything into CP imo. The majority of players won't care about IVs and would just get confused/intimidated if you put too much of the complex stats into the game. It's really not that hard to guess the ballpark a pokemon's IVs are anyway. Just check CP, the level bar and stardust cost.

How much does CP accurately reflect IV though? I feel like I get lots of high CP Pokemon that have low IVs......though maybe I'm not using the right calculators.

pringles

How much does CP accurately reflect IV though? I feel like I get lots of high CP Pokemon that have low IVs......though maybe I'm not using the right calculators.
Well you have to look at the power-up cost too and the level bar. A high CP pokemon with a low cost to power up (<3,000) and plenty of room left on the level bar usually has solid IVs. I mean it's more of an educated guess but if you have a bunch of the same pokemon you can fairly easily tell which ones are worth keeping just based on that. Plus, any pokemon hatched from eggs tend to have good/great IVs.

I went to check out my student apartment I will be living in for at least the next year. Hey, a pokestop right next to it!

What's the range on lures? The circle that goes out of my character can't quite reach the pokestop but I'm close enough to get items from it every five minutes. I'm thinking of just using my two lures (from leveling up) on it.

MANUELF

Banned
No one should ever see what is nearby before sleeping, I did and I saw a Nidoking, of course I went to catch it in the middle of the night but I caught it at least

hirokazu

As I said, it's seems to be to obfuscate how simple their stat system is. The main Pokémon games never obscured the Pokémon's actual stats behind one number.

Please. The game has only three stats. Attack. Defence. Stamina.

Stamina factors into the HP, so that's already shown to the player. The game really only needs to display actual Attack and Defence. Those are not hard things to understand.

Guessing the ballpark only works when you have other Pokémon of similar CP or level to compare to. Otherwise you can have that data but you wouldn't have any context on whether it's good.

so....I just spent $20 of real money on this game to fully upgrade my item pack and spent the rest on a bunch of egg incubators... could be money well spent...right??? :(

hirokazu

From what I recall everything lower than ~130 (Gyarados) in the PokéDex is affected, and I think it's the lower the number the worse it is. So yeah, both Nidoran families are hit.
Every Pokémon is affected by the glitch. But the consequences of the glitch is that higher numbered Pokémon will always be positively affected.

Still, you can get 75%+ IV from Pokémon numbered as low as 50 if their other stats are perfect or close to perfect.

so....I just spent $20 of real money on this game to fully upgrade my item pack and spent the rest on a bunch of egg incubators... could be money well spent...right??? :(

I went in with the intention of only buying bag upgrades but bought way more Incubators than I thought I would.

It's fun hatching all those eggs.
Except when a god damn Eevee hatches out of 10km eggs =/

I went in with the intention of only buying bag upgrades but bought way more Incubators than I thought I would.

It's fun hatching all those eggs.
Except when a god damn Eevee hatches out of 10km eggs =/

I will be on vacation in september with loads of walking around, so beforehand my wife and I will buy incubators to hatch all those damn eggs!

Wollan

I have a Google account for Pokémon GO.

I just received a mail that I have created an account on Pokémon.com and that I needed to verify my e-mail.

I'm expecting this to be a scam attempt so I haven't verified but I thought I would ask in case they are doing some account activity?

8bit

Knows the Score
I have a Google account for Pokémon GO.

I just received a mail that I have created an account on Pokémon.com and that I needed to verify my e-mail.

I'm expecting this to be a scam attempt so I haven't verified but I thought I would ask in case they are doing some account activity?

Check the headers of the mail to determine if really was sent from pokemon.com, it sounds fishy though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom