• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lt519

I do love that some people thinks drinking is the only thing in the world to do for fun. Meanwhile i can think of a hundred things i would rather do for fun than drink.

However...
Drinking and playing Pokemon GO has been fantastic. We plop down at bars with Pokestops, pop a lure, wait for the vibrate, catch a Pokemon, and go back to shooting the shit and drinking beer in the sun.

dakun

You absolutely are doing something wrong (sorry if that sounds mean)

For low level players, the way to take down gyms is to actually team up with people on the same team as you. Multiple players of the same team can gang up on a gym to beat stronger pokemon faster.

People who constantly expect to be able to solo a gym aren't really playing the game correctly.

no worries, i'd rather know if i did something wrong.

So am i correct to assume that multiple people from my team attacking a gym leader means basically we are playing 3 vs.1 (if i had 2 other people)
If so, that's basically something i didn't know was possible.. i though you simply had to have a Pokemon that was comparable in strength and just fight the gym leader 1vs1. And if you lose you basically start from scratch with the gym leaders pokemon at full health.

ViciousDS

Banned
You absolutely are doing something wrong (sorry if that sounds mean)

For low level players, the way to take down gyms is to actually team up with people on the same team as you. Multiple players of the same team can gang up on a gym to beat stronger pokemon faster.

People who constantly expect to be able to solo a gym aren't really playing the game correctly.

I can attest to this!

Saw a blue gym last night with a 1500 Lapras and all pokemon over 1k

Got taken over by team effort of red with a highest pokemon being an 800 hypno. Blue had pokemon added over time meaning someone solo'ed our gym for a long time (Were yellow.).

When we take gyms we do it in numbers.....you can take down stacked gyms with an average level of 1500 down in 15 minutes or less since there is no limit on ganging up on pokemon. Just remember to all attack at the same time.....believe me it goes down FAST.

Attacking is easy.....defending, thats the hard part since you have no control really and it takes forever to train the prestige up.

Toki767

So am i correct to assume that multiple people from my team attacking a gym leader means basically we are playing 3 vs.1 (if i had 2 other people)
If so, that's basically something i didn't know was possible.. i though you simply had to have a Pokemon that was comparable in strength and just fight the gym leader 1vs1

That's correct. I don't know what the max is for teaming up, but when you're in a gym battling there will a number in the top left if someone else is battling with you.

However...
Drinking and playing Pokemon GO has been fantastic. We plop down at bars with Pokestops, pop a lure, wait for the vibrate, catch a Pokemon, and go back to shooting the shit and drinking beer in the sun.

Yep. Drained my battery at the bar last night playing Pokemon. Then me and a couple buddies thought we should recharge our phones and go to the park. At 1 am. Looking back, that sounds super sketchy to go to a park at 1 am, but when we showed up to the parking lot, it was full and there was probably 50 people already there playing PoGo.

Tecnniqe

Banned

If so, that's basically something i didn't know was possible.. i though you simply had to have a Pokemon that was comparable in strength and just fight the gym leader 1vs1. And if you lose you basically start from stratch with the gym leaders pokemon at full health.
As long as you beat 1 of the pokemons in the gym you can grind their prestige level down to neutral and take it.

Iceman829

I had a 400+ cp pikachu drain 15 great balls only to run away this morning. It's really frustrating when you finally find a pokemon and shove berries down it's throat and toss great/nice throws only to have it break out over and over. Not to mention I swear great balls start curving on their own accord sometimes just to fuck with you.

I also dinged lvl 18 and had rewards pop up at all. I tried restarting and nothing showed up. I could really use those extra 10 great balls right now

Toki767

I had a 400+ cp pikachu drain 15 great balls only to run away this morning. It's really frustrating when you finally find a pokemon and shove berries down it's throat and toss great/nice throws only to have it break out over and over. Not to mention I swear great balls start curving on their own accord sometimes just to fuck with you.

I also dinged lvl 18 and had rewards pop up at all. I tried restarting and nothing showed up. I could really use those extra 10 great balls right now

Pikachu for some reason has an insanely high capture rate.

I guess since its the most popular pokemon.

MajorMane

It's actually happening after you pop a Razz Berry + at higher level CP, it would seem. Very frustrating.

Just installed my new bike mount :D

A0Ko31l.jpg

by how much does a razzberry increase the chances of capturing?
cause im severely thinking about dropping razzberries when using higher tier balls just to not get that random curveball bug

Gandalf

Missed out on a 400cp Growlithe, (close to an Arcanine, would've been my strongest Doge by a mile) due to the shitty servers.

Feels bad...

sophora

Yep, a friend and I like to drive around double teaming local gyms and taking out at least two pokemon before moving on. We're around Lv.13 but can't really take gyms unless another team member shows up or another friend joins in. I try to wear down gyms by one pokemon when I'm solo. It takes a lot of potions and revives to completely neutralize a gym, even wears out my A-team mons (700CP-1000CP).

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
I almost took down a gym but when it got down the last Pokémon, its health was down to a small tick and didn't go down no matter what. Yet another bug. At this point, we're basically beta testers.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Might be the angle but does that not totally interfere with your left hand on the grip...?

Btw I have been trying out a few mounts and am almost definitely going to settle on the LifeActiv one when I get a case and give the others away in here, so stay tuned if anyone wants one.

edit:
What mounts did you guys end up getting? I'm interested in getting one if I can fix up my bike.
i.e. you

It's actually happening after you pop a Razz Berry + at higher level CP, it would seem. Very frustrating.
If you do an actual curveball, it overrides this.

lt519

Yep. Drained my battery at the bar last night playing Pokemon. Then me and a couple buddies thought we should recharge our phones and go to the park. At 1 am. Looking back, that sounds super sketchy to go to a park at 1 am, but when we showed up to the parking lot, it was full and there was probably 50 people already there playing PoGo.

Ran into a couple by chance at a brunch with some other mutual friends and the girl was playing PokemonGO so we invited them to come downtown after for a beer and some hunting.

Sat down at a pub from 2PM til 5:30PM, went home to charge our phones, have a beer on my roof patio, play some exploding kittens, then went back out at like 7:00 until 11:00 to start actually hunting some down. They brought their new puppy so that was fun too, fantastic day, probably wouldn't of happened without the PokemonGO connection.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
However...

Was about to say this same thing. This has basically been my friday/saturday nights the last two weeks and it's been great. Get downtown, grab a beer, go out hunting for 3-4 hours, go back to that end of town and grab something cold and refreshing and do it again till 1-2am lol

Ran into a couple by chance at a brunch with some other mutual friends and the girl was playing PokemonGO so we invited them to come downtown after for a beer and some hunting.

Sat down at a pub from 2PM til 5:30PM, went home to charge our phones, have a beer on my roof patio, play some exploding kittens, then went back out at like 7:00 until 11:00 to start actually hunting some down. They brought their new puppy so that was fun too, fantastic day, probably wouldn't of happened without the PokemonGO connection.

Yeah the best part about the game isn't the actual game. There was that joke floating around about Nintendo going from not knowing phones to changing the way society functions. It was meant as a joke, but it really is changing society haha.

Rixa

I wish you could trade revives & potions to pokeballs. Pokeballs will be my bottleneck and server being utterly crap I dont plan to use money to this. Already lost too many balls to that stupid freeze issue.

Closest pokestop from my home is around 2.3km and gym 2.6km or so. I dont need revives nor potions, cause I really cant combine powers to someone to take gym cause its so far away and I dont have time to go to Gym to sit and wait to someone coming or not.

Being mature PKGO player aint easy :p

can anyone elaborate on the "failed to get player information from the server" error?

my game keeps freezing in the middle of catching pokemon and my friends arent running into this, theyre right next to me playing the game just fine. any reason why it singled me out?

Yesterday we went for a long walk with the family and dogs through the forest and my little nephew had his Pokemon Go game with him. Somehow there wasn't a single pokemon popping up on his little 'nearby' screen. That kinda sucks.
There are quite a few wooded area around here and was hoping whenever we would go out walking with the dogs he could catch some cool pokemon. Look like it's only close to the street and more densely populated areas?

Or has anyone around here caught a pokemon deep into a forest far away from all people?

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
Yeah the best part about the game isn't the actual game. There was that joke floating around about Nintendo going from not knowing phones to changing the way society functions. It was meant as a joke, but it really is changing society haha.

it sure has changed how my wallet functions i got incense running on me at all times

i must be doing something wrong. at this rate i will never be able to fight for a gym because i'm so desperately under leveled. I just reached level 8 and my strongest Pokemon is a 358 Golbat. And that's playing from day 1 for about 2 hours a day. (when it worked)
Basically anyone who starts new is screwed and has alot of catching up to do if i can lag behind so quickly. Maybe a good solution would be having multiple tiers of gyms for different levels. So a low level person won't have to catch up to a person who seemingly dedicated his life to to the game.

Maybe i just don't get it though.

Pretty sure that you're only truly capable of putting up a fight on a competitive level once you hit level 20.

lt519

Yesterday we went for a long walk with the family and dogs through the forest and my little nephew had his Pokemon Go game with him. Somehow there wasn't a single pokemon popping up on his little 'nearby' screen. That kinda sucks.
There are quite a few wooded area around here and was hoping whenever we would go out walking with the dogs he could catch some cool pokemon. Look like it's only close to the street and more densely populated areas?

Or has anyone around here caught a pokemon deep into a forest far away from all people?

The running theory is that it is mapped to Ingress foot traffic data. The more densely traveled a place was during Ingress the more likely Pokemon are to show up. So depends on how heavy your area was into Ingress and also whether Ingress had portals to attract the players you did have to where you went in your area.

That's why the claim that Pokestops tend to attrack more Pokemon makes sense. It's because those Pokestops were portals in Ingress that were frequented by players.

Pretty sure that you're only truly capable of putting up a fight on a competitive level once you hit level 20.

10km eggs are key to being competitive at lower levels. I hatched a Snorlax at level 14 and using the candy he came with I've been taking gyms since. I'm at level 16 and with my Snorlax and 5 other Pokemon above 700 CP I can take just about any gym by myself. Also you can be pretty under powered and still be competitive by dodging. I've had my 1250 Snorlax taken over by 700 Golbats.

NesFe

So far Machop, Goldeen, Exeggcute, Geodude, Cubone, Magnemite and Psyduck are the rarest pokemon I've got. i could only find one of each. Zubat and Weedle are the most common.

I have a pokemon gym thats a 3 minute walk from my house. Everytime i take over it, i lose it 10-15 minutes later. What would be the benifit if I were to stay a leader for a long period of time ?

Toki767

So far Machop, Goldeen, Exeggcute, Geodude, Cubone, Magnemite and Psyduck are the rarest pokemon I've got. i could only find one of each. Zubat and Weedle are the most common.

I have a pokemon gym thats a 3 minute walk from my house. Everytime i take over it, i lose it 10-15 minutes later. What would be the benifit if I were to stay a leader for a long period of time ?

Every 21 hours you can cash in for 500 Stardust and 10 pokecoins for every pokemon you have in a gym.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

Unfortunately for the moment you won't get much- until they address this issue, save and bring Incense for these trips, IMO. It is more effective when you are moving versus standing still anyway.
can anyone elaborate on the "failed to get player information from the server" error?

my game keeps freezing in the middle of catching pokemon and my friends arent running into this, theyre right next to me playing the game just fine. any reason why it singled me out?
Assuming you mean the freezing while trapped in the pokeball, that's just the servers... it hasn't singled you out in any sense other than you happened to be the unlucky one.

Akim

Banned

Just a warning, it doesn't track your kms very well while on a bike. I bike slow for way over 10km and it counted like 1.5. I've tested it a lot and you have to be riding excruciatingly slow. I think it has something to do with the phone being locked onto the mount.

Pachimari

Just caught a Tentacool as well. What a fantastic day in Pokemon GO today. Haven't had that many problems. Servers were up and running all day. I only had the occasional frozen Pokeball where I had to restart but I didn't mind since it mostly happened with regular Pokemon.

Loving this when it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom