• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MurgenGW

Neo Member
9 AM in Japan, still no Pokemon Go in store.

pGkft8q.png

https://twitter.com/ZAP_za_KK_UN/status/755527612072550401
I think it was around 10 AM in other countries.

Guys, I've hatched two 10KM eggs and got an Eevie both times. Damn near cried when the second one popped up. The PokeGod's have failed me.

I read a couple of days back about the rumor of being soft banned. Three days I was not able to get any items from pokestops and every Pokemon I tried to catch would escape and vanish right after the first click of the pokeball. I have not done any GPS spoofing, and I have caught Pokemon while riding in a car. I chalked it up to being a glitch. Not sure if the soft ban theory is confirmed, just wanted to mention it.

Also, someone a few pages back had a theory that the Pokemon that is week to your starter would be highly uncommon for you. I can go ahead and shut that down as I started off with Charmander and have caught plenty of Bulbasaur's. I've only caught one other Charmander since then and two Squirtal's.

Yea i picked squirtle and its probably because I technically live in a desert but I mostly find rock/ground and fire pokemon.

SephiZack

Rumor about regional pokemon proven fake

https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemongo/comments/4tl9tr/i_found_a_farfetchd_in_the_united_states/

I think this pokemon was rumored to be Japan only

I'm a bit late so I don't know if anyone else wrote this, but this is the same guy who claimed to have found Kangaskhan in the US and he's the only person from that city (or even in the entire world, as far as I know) who has claimed to have found any "region-limited" pokemon. And the shadiest thing is that he published this at a time where nobody can ask him to show his capture map to prove he didn't use a gps spoofer, so unless many other people can confirm, I wouldn't trust his post (and now he even deleted it)

The game is utterly fucked right now without tracking. Spent the better part of a half hour trying to find a Magmar that appeared on my radar. I went fucking everywhere and I couldn't find it. Everything but the Magmar itself showed up. They really need to get on this. I don't care if the servers get borked, at least back then I could find stuff.

Inviusx

How's everyones dex going? Im 95 seen and caught right now. Mostly evolutions left except for Porygon, Aerodactyl, Tauros, Mr Mine and Kangaskhan.

Quazar

So do you ever get anything from medals? I see you get stars after doing same one over and over. Maybe some cool suprises once hitting x amount of stars?

Arrrammis

I've mostly given up on trying to track pokemon, now I'm basically just riding bike around town with an incense on. Pokemon spawn really often, and my eggs often give me a new pokemon or a bunch of candies for whatever pokemon I already have. I don't want to contribute to the hate train without anything constructive, but it's hard to stay positive when you really think about what has gone wrong and how Niantic is reacting to it (or rather, not reacting to it at all). At least most companies have the thought to have some community manager person say something to appease the masses and pull the hate away from the general company.

Inviusx

I've mostly given up on trying to track pokemon, now I'm basically just riding bike around town with an incense on. Pokemon spawn really often, and my eggs often give me a new pokemon or a bunch of candies for whatever pokemon I already have. I don't want to contribute to the hate train without anything constructive, but it's hard to stay positive when you really think about what has gone wrong and how Niantic is reacting to it (or rather, not reacting to it at all). At least most companies have the though to have some community manager person say something to appease the masses and pull the hate away from the general company.

Yeah the 3 step bug has made tracking impossible. Ive just resorted to driving to a few select spots that are always lured and pottering around for an hour or so.

Zafir

So does downloading offline maps work? Some people said yes, but that Google engineer said "nooooooo"

I'm not convinced it does. I've got them downloaded for offline use, but I've still had situations where the map refused to load when travelling because the connection with the server was lost(ie when you get the endless spinning pokeball). That kind of tells me that it is still downloading the maps, else Id have been able to see the maps, just not the pokespots/gyms or whatever.

Dash27

On a positive note, this game has gotten me to do at least 15k steps a day consistently now. I'd like to see them iterate on rewarding actually moving around via walking, running, on a bike etc. And bonuses to going to different areas.

hirokazu

So does downloading offline maps work? Some people said yes, but that Google engineer said "nooooooo"
Which Google engineer? I've been saying in the first thread that it demonstrably doesn't work and people said "Shut up, leave me be with my placebo!"

But anyway, why would you trust random people on the internet over a Google engineer on this?

I'm not convinced it does. I've got them downloaded for offline use, but I've still had situations where the map refused to load when travelling because the connection with the server was lost(ie when you get the endless spinning pokeball). That kind of tells me that it is still downloading the maps, else Id have been able to see the maps, just not the pokespots/gyms or whatever.
- Apps are sandboxed on iOS and cannot access the cache of other apps.
- Google Maps on Android doesn't share its Offline Maps cache with other apps.
- Google Maps API terms prohibit apps storing map except for short-term cache purposes.

It's a closed case.

javac

The existence of Pokemon Go Plus kind of implies that in the future they'll update the app so you don't have to keep the screen on to interact with the game, right?

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
On a positive note, this game has gotten me to do at least 15k steps a day consistently now. I'd like to see them iterate on rewarding actually moving around via walking, running, on a bike etc. And bonuses to going to different areas.

I saw an idea where you pick a Pokemon to "train" as you walk, and you get candy for the Pokemon based on how far you go. Thought that was pretty cool.

Fox Mulder

They need the app to run in the background. I walk plenty every day, but not with my phone out with the screen on running this.

hirokazu

The existence of Pokemon Go Plus kind of implies that in the future they'll update the app so you don't have to keep the screen on to interact with the game, right?
Yes, but I don't know how the Go Plus works given the app's current requirements. And I'm not sure it'll ever work given the limitations imposed by iOS power management, which I believe prohibits the kind of activity Pokémon Go requires to function in the background.

eek5

https://plus.google.com/communities/109504194485246856888

its interesting reading the Ingress player complaints about being banned. If they start banning Pokemon Go players based on unusual GPS movements the ban system has to be flawless - otherwise they will be inundated with people who discover their IAPs do not pay for customer service.

You can go to any game community and look at their bans and see a bunch of people who legit got banned saying they are innocent. Keep in mind that these are all people that have absolutely nothing to lose by claiming they were innocent.

domlolz

Banned
stuff they should add to this game:

ability to take pictures with your pokemon
make the battling better
interacting with nearby trainers
make the 3 step thing work
events: clefairy spawning during a full moon, seasonal differences in pokemon that spawn etc

Yado

I think they recently unblocked my country or whatever. Checked a couple minutes ago and there were a few Pokemon around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom