• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

idonteven

Can you get pokevision to list Pokemon name? Or make the damn icons bigger? What the hell is this

image.png

sandshrew

correojon

Got it working now...only one Zubat spawn in the entire fuckin town

Amazing

I think it only shows the Pokemon in a small radius around where you put the locator. Meaning that even if you zoom out the map, the area where it´ll scan will still be the same, just a hundred meters or so from where you place the locator.

Maximus P

He's talking about this, maybe: https://pokevision.com/

Kind of takes the fun out of the game but if you're grinding the pokes...

This is a helpful tool........

To highlight the fact that all the local hotspots, parks, pubs, churches all have hardly any pokemon.

I've scanned 5 different large parks in my town and nearby city and only come across 4 pidgies.

Acinixys

I think it only shows the Pokemon in a small radius around where you put the locator. Meaning that even if you zoom out the map, the area where it´ll scan will still be the same, just a hundred meters or so from where you place the locator.

Its literally 1 block from what i can see

a 400x400m square

PSFan

Yes, unfortunately. It's usually when the servers are overloaded. I don't think there's much you can really do to fix it.

Not sure I want to fix it. Seems like it's a glitch that guarantees a catch if it happens. Every single time it has happened to me, I had the Pokemon caught after restarting the app.

T.O.P

Banned

Yeah now i get it, it actually works as well, had a Voltorb appear on the nearby list and it's there on the PokeVision as well

But i'm stucked at work anyway :|

foladar

The pokevision website doesn't show what's available from lures, right? Only seeing a magikarp in the area which seems weird for Orlando

This is a helpful tool........

To highlight the fact that all the local hotspots, parks, pubs, churches all have hardly any pokemon.

I've scanned 5 different large parks in my town and nearby city and only come across 4 pidgies.

City dwellers have a huge advantage. (this I generated a minute ago).

8sqt9Qh.jpg

Just goes to show how much my 'nearby' thing is broken. Like six or so pokemons I haven't found yet appearing on 'nearby' as if they were around me, yet checking the Pokevision map I see they aren't there, and the others that are are almost 1:1.

Pretty annoying to realize I kept worrying about that Charmander silhouette around me when it was probably nowhere close to me and was just a GPS problem.

Can this game be played casually at all? Other than as a stamp collector/trainspotter activity. The gyms seem to be where the actual game is, but they're practically inaccessible.

If I look in any local gyms, they're maxed out with >1000 CP pokemon and trainers at L15+
Since I'm level 5, I won't stand a chance and get fuck all for trying, right?

Now, someone will no doubt say, "Don;t bother with gyms until you're >L15" or something, but there are 2 problems with that.

1) Reaching L15 will take me fucking forever. Many days of actual real world time.
2) By the time I'm at L15, the hardcore (what's the AR equivalent of poopsocking?) will be at >L20 or whatever, with even stronger pokemon dominating the gym.

I don't really see how this game is playable for anyone beyond the top 50 players in an area.

Am I just totally misunderstanding how the game works?

adamy

Banned
Can this game be played casually at all? Other than as a stamp collector/trainspotter activity. The gyms seem to be where the actual game is, but they're practically inaccessible.

If I look in any local gyms, they're maxed out with >1000 CP pokemon and trainers at L15+

Now, someone will no doubt say, "Don;t bother with gyms until you're >L15" or something, but there are 2 problems with that.

1) Reaching L15 will take me fucking forever. Many days of actual real world time.
2) By the time I'm at L15, the hardcore (what's the AR equivalent of poopsocking?) will be at >L20 or whatever, with even stronger pokemon dominating the gym.

I don't really see how this game is playable for anyone beyond the top 50 players in an area.

Level 23 here, I've hit up gyms maybe 10 times tops...which is absolutely nothing given how long it takes to hit 23

Personally, they have zero appeal to me. The rewards are insignificant and combat system isn't all that fun as it stands

But mostly, the perks/rewards for actively participating in the gym system is so pathetic I avoid them

After the first day I haven't even touched a gym, basically just a Pokemon catching game for me.

You mean like this?

v85IpbC.png

(my local gym).
so no you're not misunderstanding anything :)

I asked this last night but nobody knew:

Do all pokemon of the same species have the same potential? If I had infinite stardust and candies, would a cp10 pidgey and a cp100 pidgey eventually become equally powerful, or will one always be better?

I ask this because Im super hesitant to spend my stardust, and I'd hate to waste them on a pokemon that would turn out to suck.

I tried a lucky egg yesterday for the first time. Hatched two eggs, evolved a pokemon and then the servers crapped out for like 15 minutes.. definitely stocking up on Pidgeys before I use another one.

This is why I hope Niantic plan on giving existing players free stuff when all the server issues are fixed. Tons of people have lost resources that are worth real-life money.

vikki

Not entirely a PkGo question, but why are dual type Pokemon, like Aerodactyl, weaknesses pretty much doubled? Seems like flying should be weak to lightning and rock type resistant. Why didn't Nintendo have them level out?

nbraun80

Well one thing is once you get into the lvl 20-30's the leveling slows down tremendously, hardcore folks will still power through but not near as fast. Just use your free resources smartly and you can lvl pretty quick. Save up pidgeys,weedles, and caterpies and candies and level all at once with a lucky egg active.

Also if you have 3-4 people attacking a gym you can easily take down lvl 1000-1500 pokemon with ones in the 600-900 range. It's heavily in the attackers favor, just team up.

T.O.P

Banned
The Pokevision defaulting to Santa Monica Pier, wich is fuckin FULL of pokemon, makes me wanna cry everytime i open it

nbraun80

Not entirely a PkGo question, but why are dual type Pokemon, like Aerodactyl, weaknesses pretty much doubled? Seems like flying should be weak to lightning and rock type resistant. Why didn't Nintendo have them level out?
not sure what you mean. a 2x weakness is pretty common, and with dual type some even get more screwed with some 4x weaknesses.

Septic360

Banned
OMG! Just discovered pokevision thanks to you guys.

I actually ran out of my office to catch a squirtle. I caught it! WOO!

This game man!

Moff

Are people really that shocked to find out that spawn rates correlate with foot traffic?

hmm, that would make sense if only someone could catch each pokemon, but everyone who is nearby can
so I don't see how it makes sense that there need to be more pokemon where more people walk around

hmm, that would make sense if only someone could catch each pokemon, but everyone who is nearby can
so I don't see how it makes sense that there need to be more pokemon where more people walk around

That is right. They don't have to correlate to foot traffic, because they are infinite when they have spawned.
They either correlate to pokestop/gym density, or correlate to map feature density, or correlate to crowds commonly near location. All three of these automatically bestow a big advantage (in whatever competitive aspect is left on the game), to those who play in high density areas.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Are people really that shocked to find out that spawn rates correlate with foot traffic?
Yeah cause the only time they do shit in a city is when they battle gym masters. The rest is in forests where they catch Pokemans.

PokemonGO don't make sense with Season 1

Maximus P

There were well over 1000 people at my local park yesterday, which is the main park of my town and a place that has 14 pokestops and 3 gyms.... and this is what it looks like...

iH4l053.jpg

Cities already have tons of pokestops giving city players a big enough advantage. You can find plenty of pokestops on top of each other that when combined with lures spawns a stupid amount of pokemon. Now combine that with naturally more pokemon spawns than rural areas and yea it sucks to be a rural player.

adamy

Banned
That is right. They don't have to correlate to foot traffic, because they are infinite when they have spawned.
They either correlate to pokestop/gym density, or correlate to map feature density, or correlate to crowds commonly near location. All three of these automatically bestow a big advantage (in whatever competitive aspect is left on the game), to those who play in high density areas.

It's my understanding that spawn rates greatly correlate to pokestop density. I believe this is one of the major reasons they have stated they are going start reviewing user submissions soon.

Given that the stops are based on ingress submissions which comes down to who voted the most, I can feel the pain of you brahs who live in rural areas

I don't think it's tied big city in and of itself as much as stop density. I don't run into shit even if in downtown LA if I happen to be in an area with no nearby stops (eg some industrial area)

A Pikachu just spawned on my PoGo tracker... I guess it's time to use the website because we all know the tracker is broken. =/ Also, nearly 4AM here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom