• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

xkramz

LWbg68N.jpg

Best spot in central park is central park south. 59st and 5th. Thanks to the gaf who suggested this location.

Also when i went, I saw that popular YouTuber Casey neitant doing a video.

Darryl

Banned
No they wont. The game is broken, for me the maps brought the fun back since now I can actually find the Pokemon. Seems like Pokemon only stay spawned for 13 mins, so its not like you can get across town to catch one.

it sucks that it's broken and doesn't work rn but that doesn't mean this stuff won't like take some integrity out of the game. a more streamlined people-friendly version of these services will quickly become more efficient than finding them yourself, and if it is will quickly become the main way to catch them.

why waste your time going on runs or walking hunts when you could just set it to search all nearby areas and auto alert? really need them extra pidgeys on the way? probably not

why explore a new area to see what Pokemon are there when you could just open a map?

Kyuur

The map isn't accurate. Once in the area you still have to move around a bit.

Pokevision just show what it's near you but site is down now.

Right, but it still shows you the location of the Pokemon instead of just saying "this Pokemon is nearby and xxx footprints away". I'm taking a look at the git for PokemonGoMap right now but it seems to me it should be fairly trivial to reduce the functionality to what is available in the base game for an end user instead of completely breaking the game.

Chaos17

LWbg68N.jpg

Best spot in central park is central park south. 59st and 5th. Thanks to the gaf who suggested this location.

Big cities are really different

1467207326-tom-hardy-glasses.gif

Right, but it still shows you the location of the Pokemon instead of just saying "this Pokemon is nearby and xxx footprints away". I'm taking a look at the git for PokemonGoMap right now but it seems to me it should be fairly trivial to reduce the functionality to what is available in the base game for an end user instead of completely breaking the game.

I see, I understand your wish.
Hope someone will come with a footprint version.

Pau

A Poliwhirl got away and now my Pokedex isn't a 1:1 ratio anymore. No way I can find enough Poliwags to evolve either.

Munter

Do we have any peeps from the Edinburgh area here? Was thinking of heading in to there on one of my days off next week to see what i can catch...I mean have a walk round and take in the scenery...

Just go to your nearest "downtown/city" area and walk like a block, you'll have enough poke balls in no time! That or just keep using the same pokestop, you can re-use it like every ~5 minutes

My problem is, every stop I visit in a large area has had a lure on it. Meaning there are more Pokémon there than I get Pokeballs from each Pokestop. In the 5 minutes I'll hit probably 3-5 stops but then catch 10-15 pokemon.

AReed

Anyone know the best moveset for Rapidash? Wondering if I should bother leveling mine. It has ember and fire blast.

DigtialT

I'm tinkering with the code because I enjoy it as a hobby. But it's highly unlikely that I actually use it for anything.

Also because it requires a login it must be spoofing GPS to the Niantic servers. I'm guessing they'll figure out a way to block it and ban people.

That why you use a throwaway poketrainer club account.

lt519

Just checked, the Python script running for about an hour only had my dummy account at 0.63km moved. So it is sending updated GPS positions to the Niantic servers. It seems that the area it's covering would be much larger movement than 0.63km. It'd probably be pretty easy to build a script to identify users using this and ban them. But nothing stops them from just creating another dummy account.

Not sure how Pokevision works though.

My problem is, every stop I visit in a large area has had a lure on it. Meaning there are more Pokémon there than I get Pokeballs from each Pokestop. In the 5 minutes I'll hit probably 3-5 stops but then catch 10-15 pokemon.

Ignore the fodder until you have enough pokeballs, you don't have to catch every Pokemon you see

DigtialT

Just checked, the Python script running for about an hour only had my dummy account at 0.63km moved. So it is sending updated GPS positions to the Niantic servers. It seems that the area it's covering would be much larger movement than 0.63km. It'd probably be pretty easy to build a script to identify users using this and ban them. But nothing stops them from just creating another dummy account.

How many steps are you having the script search through?

Anarion07

Ok wow that python script is exhausting. Seeing something, getting up, biking, going back, aaand the next one one minute later.
But it's amazing

lt519

How many steps are you having the script search through?

100 positions encompassing about a square kilometer. Takes about 2 minutes to cycle through.

For those curious this is what the command line output looks like. My extra code basically just filters on Pokemon names and forwards emails in that format to my gmail.

Possibilities are endless with this, I'm going to get it to just send a text to my phone with a Google Maps pin.

Anarion07

100 positions encompassing about a square kilometer. Takes about 2 minutes to cycle through.

For those curious this is what the command line output looks like. My extra code basically just filters on Pokemon names and forwards emails in that format to my gmail.

Possibilities are endless with this, I'm going to get it to just send a text to my phone with a Google Maps pin.

For me, after like 5 runs the map won't update anymore and the pokemon get less and less until they're all gone.
Any idea why?

Noaloha

A pair of neat things over the couple of days I've been playing --

There's a little spot a few minutes' walk from my house which used to be an industrial road but, since falling largely abandoned several years ago, is now home to a ton of graffiti; big, elaborate, panelled off and distinct works of graffiti. Every year the local graf artists flock to this long stretch of brick-walled dirtroad and put up their new pieces.

Yesterday, I take a stroll over there with the game (my first 'proper' excursion) and am delighted to find that the entire route has like eleven Stops scattered along it:

xdQNGWj.png

(never did find that Meowth, btw)

Picked up a ton of items and found some new friends in colourful surrounds:

DZkuXcv.png
YuOKDbn.png
Cr7O0z5.png

And today, I took a long walk to a place called Globen ('the Globe'), named for its striking landmark:

250px-Globen_September_2014_02.jpg

Now, this is probably nothing but delightful conicidence but, as I passed into the middle of town with that building dominating the sky beside me, a never-before-seen-by-me monster pops up on my phone. Which one?

http://www.dltk-kids.com/pokemon/adoptions/100.gif

Haha what the hell just happened , I'm right under the gym and hit fight and each time it kicks me out after "Go" , I can destroy this gym but it's not letting me 0_o

lt519

For me, after like 5 runs the map won't update anymore and the pokemon get less and less until they're all gone.
Any idea why?

Couldn't tell you, mine doesn't seem to hang, and I'm not nearly familiar enough with the code to make a guess. I'd make a post on the reddit topic, they seem pretty quick to respond.

Time to do some actual work ): which oddly enough is writing different Python code.

DigtialT

So 10 steps like me, it is interesting that it is searching basically a 1.92 km² area yet is recording you travelling a far lesser distance. I wonder how they actually do distance tracking in this game

nbraun80

Haha what the hell just happened , I'm right under the gym and hit fight and each time it kicks me out after "Go" , I can destroy this gym but it's not letting me 0_o

Had this bug a couple times as well. Sometimes I can fix it by restarting the app and switching my leadad pokemon, other times I just have to walk away in anger.

lt519

So 10 steps like me, it is interesting that it is searching basically a 1.92 km² area yet is recording you travelling a far lesser distance. I wonder how they actually do distance tracking in this game

I think your position gets uploaded on some period and your distance is calculated on a straight line as the crow flies. So if you are looping in a circle there is a chance that your total path traveled is much longer than the distance between the two points when it updates. That's why a fitness tracker may show 5km but the app 4km if you were trail running and it was a winding trail.

PokemonGO Map Masters Reddit

LWbg68N.jpg

Dont forget to go into the park from the nearby entrance as well (during daylight, might be a little sketchy at night). I got my Gastly there!

MajorMane

If you ever download it you can just do this. I already have it alerting me of any rare Pokemon as an experiment. After line 702 in example.py add:

(code)

Where pokeid is the # in the pokedex. Obviously replace 'from' and 'to' with gmail accounts and 'login' and 'password' with the respective information. So that's set up for anytime it finds a Caterpie. You can make is search a list of Pokemon easily enough. Won't work at work for me due to firewalls but works at home. Remove the block comments as well!

Well that was a productive lunch break :p

Thanks for the reply! I really appreciate it. I think I'll be able to work with that fairly easily when I get home.

For creating a list, would the proper route to take be to edit the first line of code so it looks like:

Code:
# if pokeid == '10' or if pokeid == '15' or if pokeid ==27:

Again, not too familiar with python, so I'm not sure how the OR function works exactly. It's either that or repeat the code for each Pokemon, which is no bueno.

Either way, thank you very much again. I'll have to tinker around with it later.

Oscar

Yeah I've been using a dummy account to do my scans just in case it gets banned.

It's useful as fuck. Helped me nab a Golduck a few blocks away.

lt519

Thanks for the reply! I really appreciate it. I think I'll be able to work with that fairly easily when I get home.

For creating a list, would the proper route to take be to edit the first line of code so it looks like:

Code:

Again, not too familiar with python, so I'm not sure how the OR function works exactly. It's either that or repeat the code for each Pokemon, which is no bueno.

Either way, thank you very much again. I'll have to tinker around with it later.

You could get fancy and use list comprehension etc, but just use a list and check in it:

Code:
pokemonicareabout = ['10', '15', '17']
if pokeid in pokemonicareabout
    remainder of code

For the record the script already has a command line argument '-o' for only at call. It would do that filtering for you but also would only display those on the map. In that case you wouldn't even use the if statement and just send every pokemon found to your email. Either way works, but if you want the full map but to only be alerted by rares then you'd do the extra if I did.

DigtialT

Code:

No need for all the extra ifs
Code:
# if pokeid == '10' or pokeid == '15' or pokeid == '27':

Edit: Do what It519 recommend, much more efficient and easier to change later.

Edit 2:
Python scripts for finding Pokemon. What is going on here, haha. Oy.

Gotta fix the tracking someway

lt519

Python scripts for finding Pokemon. What is going on here, haha. Oy.

Just having fun coding (; I'm not actually going to use it, it'd ruin the fun/excitement for me. I'll just wait for Nearby to start working.

Script could be very easily modified to only display pokemon within a certain radius and then calculate and sort by distance and display in a list instead of on a map. We could essentially recreate the nearby list with a couple hours of effort. But you'd need your laptop and a 4G card to walk around doing that, kinda silly. Someone will build an App pretty soon though. Edit: I actually think someone on Reddit is already doing this.

Ok enough of this talk from me, I don't wan to derail this thread and ruin the fun.

Ignore the fodder until you have enough pokeballs, you don't have to catch every Pokemon you see

Eh, not if I need to level up. Each catch is 100+ XP and candy for evos.

My goal is to have 100 or so Pokémon to evolve when I hit 15, so I can just pop a lucky egg and shoot to 20. Up to about 40 Pokémon so far, but I'm only 3 levels away so I know I'm not going to make it. I'll probably end up at level 18 or so and need to use a second lucky egg in another week or so to push me over.

Red

Can you only have 2 eggs in incubators at a time? Every time I try to add a 3rd egg it doesnt work

You can have one egg per incubator. You may only have two incubators.
Is there a battle chart list?

For example, I see Pikatchu at the gym and it tells me which Pokemon are effective agains it

AFAIK the typing for Go is the same as for the traditional games, so any typing matchup chart will do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom